PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Hike Sleep System

R00K
04-23-2011, 12:53
So I'm leaving for Georgia in 11 months. When I think about the fact that I was originally supposed to be out there right now, I can't help but laugh. But regardless of that, I'm very glad we decided to push it back a year to train more, save more, and gear test more.

I've done a lot of upgrading to my setup with the help I've received here on the forums. I'm waiting on my modified Nano 7 with whoopies and bugsock from Randy "PapaSmurf", and my Zpacks 4 season tarp from Joe, which I found thanks to you guys, and keeps my combined hammock and tarp weight to under a pound. Of all the forums I visit HF.net is by far the most inviting and the most helpful.

Now I'm trying to figure out a sleep system that doesn't involve a different bag for every season (I sleep too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.)

Anyway - I'm considering this:
Speer PeaPod (20* -- 36 oz)
Gossamer Gear Thinlight Insulation Pad 1/8" or 3/8" (2.5 oz -- 5.5 oz)
Sea to Summit Thermalite Reactor (Adds 15* -- 8 oz)
*I may consider adding down booties.

With this set up I think I'll be keeping things light, warm, and in the summer I can use the peapod as an UQ or send it home for a month or two.

Thoughts? Think it's worth making the investment and testing it?

Joey
04-23-2011, 13:05
I've used the GG 1/8" pad and find it a pain to lay on top off. It's so thin, it ended up bunched up and malformed by the end of the night. Very hard to keep in place with me directly on top of it. Hard to explain, but it did not work at all for me. This was in my GT Ultralight. I tested it in a WB Traveler DL and it worked much better. Just a thought. If I were to put a pad in my GT U, it'd be the 1/4" one.

The rest of your set up is almost identical with what I have. Except the GT Ultralight v/s Nano (I'm too big for the Nano). This lightweight package will do you very well, I'm sure.

Good luck with the gear testing and prep for an AT Thru. Get out often and test away. Feel confident with what you have, and go for it!!!

Miguel
04-23-2011, 13:06
So I'm leaving for Georgia in 11 months. When I think about the fact that I was originally supposed to be out there right now, I can't help but laugh. But regardless of that, I'm very glad we decided to push it back a year to train more, save more, and gear test more.

I've done a lot of upgrading to my setup with the help I've received here on the forums. I'm waiting on my modified Nano 7 with whoopies and bugsock from Randy "PapaSmurf", and my Zpacks 4 season tarp from Joe, which I found thanks to you guys, and keeps my combined hammock and tarp weight to under a pound. Of all the forums I visit HF.net is by far the most inviting and the most helpful.

Now I'm trying to figure out a sleep system that doesn't involve a different bag for every season (I sleep too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.)

Anyway - I'm considering this:
Speer PeaPod (20* -- 36 oz)
Gossamer Gear Thinlight Insulation Pad 1/8" or 3/8" (2.5 oz -- 5.5 oz)
Sea to Summit Thermalite Reactor (Adds 15* -- 8 oz)
*I may consider adding down booties.

With this set up I think I'll be keeping things light, warm, and in the summer I can use the peapod as an UQ or send it home for a month or two.

Thoughts? Think it's worth making the investment and testing it?

From what I just read on their site, the Sea To Summit Reactor increases warmth 25* and weighs 14oz. Could they possibly have two versions and I missed it?

Miguel

Miguel

Rolloff
04-23-2011, 13:26
Looks to be too warm for all but the southern sections. That should keep you toasty, after that you can send things back. You can always vent until you get tired of carrying the weight.

Wait for a few of the AT Thru's to sound in on this one though. Lots of experience out there.

R00K
04-23-2011, 13:56
I've used the GG 1/8" pad and find it a pain to lay on top off. It's so thin, it ended up bunched up and malformed by the end of the night. Very hard to keep in place with me directly on top of it. Good luck with the gear testing and prep for an AT Thru. Get out often and test away. Feel confident with what you have, and go for it!!!

Thanks again Deucalion! I'm thinking about getting the largest one (they say it's for hammocks) and the smallest one. I can try them both out, and I think I can handle the $10 loss if I don't use the 1/8". I can always use it for something else I'm sure :)

From what I just read on their site, the Sea To Summit Reactor increases warmth 25* and weighs 14oz. Could they possibly have two versions and I missed it?

Yes indeed, the Reactor and the Reactor Extreme.

Looks to be too warm for all but the southern sections. That should keep you toasty, after that you can send things back. You can always vent until you get tired of carrying the weight.

Wait for a few of the AT Thru's to sound in on this one though. Lots of experience out there.

My thought was to use it all in the south, and when it got warmer us the ppod as an UQ, and either bounce box the pad or switch it out for the lightest one.

exup
04-23-2011, 14:21
The 1/8" pad is not easy to work with at all. That all seems like a lot of insulation. What about going with some summer rated quilts. Hammock gears will take you to around 35 degrees, an extra ounce or two in the UQ and I'm sure you could get to 30 degrees. Worse comes to worse if it gets real cold you can just sleep in a shelter with both you UQ and TQ on top. Assuming you'll still have a pad.

Just an idea.

Raul Perez
04-23-2011, 15:06
The 1/4" is much easier to work with.

1/8" is great for 3 season insulation for your legs if you have a partial UQ

Dutch
04-23-2011, 15:16
I have a pretty good collection of the gear used for hammock camping. I also thru'd and I can't imagine a system that is good for GA in March, PA in July, The Whites in Aug, and Maine in Sept.

I guess the best you can do is double up in the beginning and end. You could go with a pad and a thin UQ for the colder months. And lose one of them for the middle. Same thing for the top insulation with 2 thinner TQ.

I would suggest instead you have a cold and warm weather system. Also consider the possibility that you may lay on a hard surface now and then. There are hostels that don't have mattresses and you may even wind up on someones living room floor or God forbid a shelter. I would stretch out my pad and lay in the sun on rocky overhangs to eat lunch. For that I really like the z-lite.

If you still only want one system I would try a 3 season UQ with a half of z-lite pad that can be a torso pad. That way you can move it up to your torso and put your pack under your legs for the real cold nights. Then in the summer you will probably just forgo the pad and loosen the UQ on hot nights.

For a top quilt you will need a 20 degree bag to start with. That could be a good 3 season TQ or 2 summer TQs. I would have to attach them together somehow or one will slip off the other. I'd still suggest a 3 season TQ and something light for summer.

I did SNP to Glencliff with a fleece bag as a TQ and a marmot helium for the beginning and end. I only used a z-rest for the entire trip but that is because my hike predated Under Quilts.

R00K
04-23-2011, 15:34
I'm trying to avoid multiple UQ/Sleeping bags. It's still entirely possible I end up with a few OQ/UQ/Pads, but I'm hoping to avoid that. The PeaPod stands out to me because it's versatile. I can us it as intended, or just as an UQ, and can still be used out of the hammock. I'm considering a Zpacks Blast 32, I could carry the Gossamer Thinlight 3/8" to frame out the pack, and use the reactor as a blanket in the summer.

Is it that you don't think this will work? Will I end up too hot or cold? Just trying to clarify! :)

kayak karl
04-23-2011, 16:03
I'm trying to avoid multiple UQ/Sleeping bags. It's still entirely possible I end up with a few OQ/UQ/Pads, but I'm hoping to avoid that. The PeaPod stands out to me because it's versatile. I can us it as intended, or just as an UQ, and can still be used out of the hammock. I'm considering a Zpacks Blast 32, I could carry the Gossamer Thinlight 3/8" to frame out the pack, and use the reactor as a blanket in the summer.

Is it that you don't think this will work? Will I end up too hot or cold? Just trying to clarify! :)
you will be seeing 50 degree nights even in july and the reactor may not be amble coverage, especially if its breezy out. this will put you in a peapod at only 50.

you have 11 month to test gear for 10-85 degree nights :D at least your not going to be bored.

Coffee
04-23-2011, 19:06
I used the same UQ. A thicker one can be hung lower in warm weather. No good way to get around 2 setups without a lot of extra weight in the warm parts. Nothing wrong with bouncing stuff ahead.

I ended up sleeping in shelters more than I planned. Having a pad that will work on the ground helps with that and will all the breaks.

Biggest advice is be open for change and doing whatever works best.

Rolloff
04-23-2011, 19:06
I have a pretty good collection of the gear used for hammock camping. I also thru'd and I can't imagine a system that is good for GA in March, PA in July, The Whites in Aug, and Maine in Sept.

I guess the best you can do is double up in the beginning and end. You could go with a pad and a thin UQ for the colder months. And lose one of them for the middle. Same thing for the top insulation with 2 thinner TQ.

I would suggest instead you have a cold and warm weather system. Also consider the possibility that you may lay on a hard surface now and then. There are hostels that don't have mattresses and you may even wind up on someones living room floor or God forbid a shelter. I would stretch out my pad and lay in the sun on rocky overhangs to eat lunch. For that I really like the z-lite.

If you still only want one system I would try a 3 season UQ with a half of z-lite pad that can be a torso pad. That way you can move it up to your torso and put your pack under your legs for the real cold nights. Then in the summer you will probably just forgo the pad and loosen the UQ on hot nights.

For a top quilt you will need a 20 degree bag to start with. That could be a good 3 season TQ or 2 summer TQs. I would have to attach them together somehow or one will slip off the other. I'd still suggest a 3 season TQ and something light for summer.

I did SNP to Glencliff with a fleece bag as a TQ and a marmot helium for the beginning and end. I only used a z-rest for the entire trip but that is because my hike predated Under Quilts.

+1 Nothing like actual experience. Thanks Dutch!

Dutch
04-23-2011, 19:47

Will it work, sure it will work.

R00K
04-24-2011, 10:36
Thanks Dutch! And thanks Coffee. It is all about being open to changing your plan. Just really trying to pick the brains of you guys with the experiance!

Dutch
04-24-2011, 13:11
Thanks Dutch! And thanks Coffee. It is all about being open to changing your plan. Just really trying to pick the brains of you guys with the experiance!

I think you are going to Mahha, see you there.

R00K
04-24-2011, 13:56
I think you are going to Mahha, see you there.

See ya there.