PDA

View Full Version : LH Bedroll On The Way

JaxHiker
04-23-2011, 18:45
Well, it's ordered at least. I think it'll go nicely with my new Light Hiker and will shave 18 oz off my pack by leaving the sleeping bag at home. w00t!

JaxHiker
04-29-2011, 15:25
w00t! Talk about a pleasant surprise! My package was shipped on Wed and the mailman left it on my doorstep this afternoon! I really hope to get the hammock up again tonight and if I do I'll have a write-up this weekend.

Thanks for the great service Dale!

Sidewinder
04-29-2011, 23:30
Very cool! I'm interested in your opinion on it. I have an Orca IX UQ +1 insert and I can only get to 50 degrees by itself. Beyond that I need a pad under my butt to take me to 40. Very curious how IX it feels and performs as a top quilt.

Congrats,

~S~

JaxHiker
04-30-2011, 17:41
If my Android was accurate it was about 57 overnight. I was cool but not cold. I wasn't really uncomfortable or anything. Actually, it probably kept me a little warmer than I'd have liked. My feet were a bit toasty in the footbox.

I did have a pad under me but I don't think it really did much. The ambient temp was what I was dealing with. There was very little wind to be blocked by the pad.

All in all I think if I'm dressed properly (I was only wearing a t-shirt and it was really only my arms that were cool) it won't be a problem getting down to the 50s. I think below that I'll need my sleeping bag. The Bedroll is fairly thin (inch or so) but it's wide at the head so you can actually cocoon yourself to put a little extra padding under your torso.

I'll probably sleep out again tonight since I really need to have a good feel for how it's keeping me warm when I hit the trail next month.

ETA: The lowest recorded temp near my house last night was 54. So I think the Bedroll was fine for that. Not sure I'd take it into the 40s without some other insulation.

JaxHiker
05-09-2011, 08:38
Just thought I'd post another little update. I continue to find favor with the bedroll. It kept me cozy again this past weekend with temps back down in the 50s. Based on the fact that I was also once again a little too warm I have every confidence it'll be fine at least down to the 40s and possibly lower depending on how I'm dressed.

brushybill
05-15-2011, 11:19
nice, an 18oz reduction in weight is really a significant amount ,congratulations

Joey
05-15-2011, 12:49
I've used the Baby Oraca UQ, Z rest pad, and LHBR TQ in the low 40s and rain during 2 days of a 3 day trip. The last day the sun came out and it warmed up to the 60's during the day, and low 50's at night. I was perfectly happy with the IX UQ and TQ in this weather.

You can catch glimpses of this set up in the video I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfD3EBvv2Co