PDA

View Full Version : Can't beat em join em...

Law Dawg (ret)
04-27-2011, 18:25
USPS Santa made the delivery of my 3 season Incubator and burrow today. They stuff small enough to solve my problems with moto luggage space and are very well made! The terrierists (Jack Russel and Cairn) and I just finished a nap with them (retirement is tough, really tough ;))...Ms Ceilidh approves on the Incubator! Nice work Adam and Jen.:thumbup:

Off to the backyard Byer Vario lab to "experiment"...:D

ShadowAlpha
04-27-2011, 18:31
congrats! the 3season burrow is great
I need to add a UQ this winter

enjoy your naps :)

Law Dawg (ret)
04-27-2011, 18:38
congrats! the 3season burrow is great
I need to add a UQ this winter

enjoy your naps :)

I was a bit concerned it would not be long/wide enough...I am a full figured fella ya see. While there is not a bunch of extra room there is enough. It pulls up to my 6-3 (or 6-1 depending on barometric pressure and gravitational field variations) chin and covers my size 48L dinner jacket shoulders. The plan was, if it did not work, to give it to my bride and order a wider one elsewhere...that may still happen but this works fine until then.

stormcrow
04-27-2011, 20:10
I was a bit concerned it would not be long/wide enough...I am a full figured fella ya see. While there is not a bunch of extra room there is enough. It pulls up to my 6-3 (or 6-1 depending on barometric pressure and gravitational field variations) chin and covers my size 48L dinner jacket shoulders. The plan was, if it did not work, to give it to my bride and order a wider one elsewhere...that may still happen but this works fine until then.

Glad to hear it worked out, Law Dawg! Let us know if you think a wide and/or long version will work better in your favor, and we'll work on it. All the best

Law Dawg (ret)
04-27-2011, 21:28
Let us know if you think a wide and/or long version will work better in your favor, and we'll work on it. All the best

Thanks Adam. Wider would be nice and the way I will go with the next TQ but this one works just fine for now. Longer is not needed as regular length is perfect. The UQ and TQ save me a major bit of side case space...very pleased.

The test lab report is not complete but the Incubator does work with a Traveler perfectly. Like the Traveler was used for the R&D test bed phase of this Incubator. I'll "experiment" with the Burrow and Incubator tonight and tomorrow will begin the WBBB test phase (with TTs and BBO too).

kobold
04-27-2011, 22:58
ld(ret) :-) i am new to the hg club with a winter incubator and i have a wb traveler and bb, so i am tuned in with great interest!

Law Dawg (ret)
04-28-2011, 09:37
ld(ret) :-) i am new to the hg club with a winter incubator and i have a wb traveler and bb, so i am tuned in with great interest!

You have great taste in hammock gear (pun intended)! :lol: I'm actually still a newb and answering my own questions gathered from reading threads on the Incubator. Jump in, the water's fine.

The Incubator and Burrow were used in cold early morning temps (low 50s) and both did well. Well as in very comfortable...almost too warm. I will need use the Burrow enough to learn to make adjustments in hammock. It is a bit too narrow for my hog body but still works. The Incubator needed to be snugged up "too much" to make it work. That is; it was so tight I really wondered if it was too much (raised the hammock up while adjusting it)...it wasn't. Sort of like my foot elevation in the hammock, I have found it needs to be more high than I would think is good (8 to 10 inches and it looks wierd but works) and the adjustable strap longer on the foot end. YMMV

Today the interrest is going to be seeing how the Incubator stays in place on the foot box end and the left shoulder of the WBBB. If there is a problem the TTs will be used in various configurations until it stays put. I am liking these though and, like setting up a hammock, there will be a learning curve for this newb.

Then it is off to the Western Divide Hwy and the Ponderosa Lodge area to find some real cold...maybe even some snow!:D

Protoman
04-28-2011, 13:57
Congrats on the new gear, but you know what they say... Pics or it didn't happen.

The wife just got hers yesterday, but I ended up using it more than her :laugh:

-Protoman

dragon360
04-28-2011, 14:03
A wide 3S burrow sounds perfect. The length of regular would by fine for me but i wanted a little more in the width and so I too am watching this thread with interest.

Jsaults
04-28-2011, 14:06
that was a bit wider than stock. I am glad that I went that route, as I am fire-plug shaped. Make that barrel-shaped. Well, a bit less barrel-shaped than I was a couple of months ago (making progress!).

Great stuff from Hammock Gear!

Jim

Law Dawg (ret)
04-28-2011, 14:18
Congrats on the new gear, but you know what they say... Pics or it didn't happen.

The wife just got hers yesterday, but I ended up using it more than her :laugh:

-Protoman

Ahhh the pic law. I am waiting for the gardener to come and mow before dragging the Vario lab out to the back lawn. The WBBB gots those pesky tie outs and so it will not work under the patio like the Traveler. I intend to kill more birds with one pic stone session...also been "experimenting" with Nite-Ize 5mm adjustable bungies (regular garden variety bungies too) as part of my tarp attachment system on the Vario. Soon the whole shebang will get another motorcycle luggage delivered piney woods test.;)

Mrs Law Dawg (ret) has already commented on how much she liked the HG set up...our situations might end up being reversed.:D

A wide 3S burrow sounds perfect. The length of regular would by fine for me but i wanted a little more in the width and so I too am watching this thread with interest.

That will be solved later as I am weighing between the WB L/W TQ and an upgraded Burrow for my next purchase. The Incubator was a much more simple decision because of almost no competition ('cept the Jacks).

thorwren
04-28-2011, 14:21
It's official - We've completed the new pattern designs. As of today, all Burrow orders will be a standard 50"x 78", 2 inches wider than our previous model. Prices are the same. :) :boggle:

dragon360
04-28-2011, 14:35
And it has BEGUN!

Very cool news - thanks.

Protoman
04-28-2011, 14:58
It's official - We've completed the new pattern designs. As of today, all Burrow orders will be a standard 50"x 78", 2 inches wider than our previous model. Prices are the same. :) :boggle:

WOW, perfect timing for me. I was going to do more testing but not until next weekend to see how the wife's 3S Burrow fits in my hammock. I was originally worried about length, being 5' 11" or 6' (on a good day) but not after trying it yesterday. Then I got to thinking a few inches wider would be nice, but not anymore.

Keep up the great work Thorwren and Stormcrow!

-Protoman

Law Dawg (ret)
04-28-2011, 15:49
WOW, perfect timing for me. I was going to do more testing but not until next weekend to see how the wife's 3S Burrow fits in my hammock. I was originally worried about length, being 5' 11" or 6' (on a good day) but not after trying it yesterday. Then I got to thinking a few inches wider would be nice, but not anymore.

Keep up the great work Thorwren and Stormcrow!

-Protoman

The custom size is 54 inches W and just a few bucks more. That decides it for me and I will be ordering the Custom Burrow (like the sound of that) as the foot box design and length (coupled with 54") is exactly what I "need". Ordering as soon as Judy gives the nod of course. ;)

Law Dawg (ret)
04-28-2011, 19:58
I gave the Incubator a test with the WBBB...a relatively quick one as it is well over 80 degrees here. Tried back lay and side lay, changing positions to and from. No sign of the dreaded foot box slipping out or left shoulder doing the same. Works fine completely stock if snugged up ALOT. Really like the ability to slide it up or down to get insulation right where you need it.

I will try things tomorrow morning with the camera ready...no need to subject my Celtic pasty white to too much solar radiation this early in the Spring.:rolleyes:

lizzie
04-28-2011, 20:37

Hi Thorwren ~ Will mine be the new size, or have you already begun working on it? (Either way is cool :))

~ Lizzie

lazy river road
04-28-2011, 21:01

I guess I'm gonna have to order all new burrows. :rolleyes: between the new secrect gear and the new design u guys are gonna drive me to the poor house.

Enjoy the new quilts law dog their excellent pieces of gear. And no need to worru bout the incubator slipping cause of the wbbb foot box well at least its never slipped off for me.

Wags
04-29-2011, 09:57
how much did the new design increase the weight?

Law Dawg (ret)
04-29-2011, 10:23
The War Department has approved the custom width Burrow. Heee heee...more hammock stuff!!:jj:

This is getting to be a barely controlled obsession. ;) You have a PM Adam.

Law Dawg (ret)
04-29-2011, 15:25
Pics or it didn't happen.

OK then (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32272), if you insist.

kobold
05-02-2011, 21:21
Today the interrest is going to be seeing how the Incubator stays in place on the foot box end and the left shoulder of the WBBB. If there is a problem the TTs will be used in various configurations until it stays put. I am liking these though and, like setting up a hammock, there will be a learning curve for this newb.

Then it is off to the Western Divide Hwy and the Ponderosa Lodge area to find some real cold...maybe even some snow!:D

sounds like so far so good! you reminded me of my own solution :thumbup1: here is what i did (have no tts):

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=460532#post460532

Law Dawg (ret)
05-02-2011, 22:42
sounds like so far so good!

What ever the Crows did it must have worked because I had no problems at all. Everything stayed right where it should...like your solution though. The creativity here is fun to watch.

Str1der
05-06-2011, 15:08

That's awesome that you guys take the time to listen to customers and proactively modify your products to better suite their (our) needs! I'm on the cusp of ordering a burrow to compliment my Incubator (love it, btw :lol:), and this wider design is music to my ears! Is the foot end also a bit wider from the original 36"? I like my foot room to kick box zombies in my sleep (at least I hope I'm asleep :scared:)!

Law Dawg (ret)
05-06-2011, 16:06
They are a busy couple too. I'm still trying to figure out how to order a custom wide Burrow...something about an "invoice". Not quite sure about how that works...:confused: but I figure they are working in shifts again.

Their quality is very good and cottage industry customer satisfaction ethics are too.