PDA

View Full Version : Need for an Under Quilt?

dufus934
02-26-2008, 13:15
I may be showing my ignorance, but is an underquilt that significant? I feel like if I have my pad under me that will insulate me as good as any. Sleeping in a hammock with my prolite 3 short, WM highlite bag, and a Marmot trails as a liner. To me, the main thing that'll rob me of wramth would be wind, and the fabric my hammock is made with has minimal breathability. The air flow between the tarp and hammock is enough to ensure that condensation isn't a factor, but I feel like I'm still missing something with this setup. It seems like an under quilt just adds weight. Please, someone tell me what I'm missing!!!

angrysparrow
02-26-2008, 13:36
Please, someone tell me what I'm missing!!!

Different people just like different approaches.

Some feel that using a good overquilt/underquilt combo is more comfortable than the bag/pad approach. And, it certainly can be easier than trying to squirm into a narrow bag and then perch that on top of a pad in a hammock for several hours. And while there are methods for dealing with that, one sympathizes with their argument.

Others have problems using pads (condensation issues, etc).

Bottom line - find what works for you.

fin
02-26-2008, 14:13
I'm going to try the underquilt/overquilt combo, and a peapod setup with either a DIY or my DD hammock just to get a good comparison of the differences. I've had little issue with my setup of Clark NA with a double bottom, pad in lower section for barrier, and 0* bag. I'm adding a "hoop sock" to this setup, if I can ever get my sewing machine working right. But I want to try other setups, because until you try it, how do you know if it works for you?

headchange4u
02-26-2008, 16:05
People can make is to some really cold temps using either a pad or an under quilt or a combination of both. I all comes down to what you like best.

BEAS
02-26-2008, 16:48
I backyard camped the last 2 nights the first was right at 30 degrees and the second started at 60 and fell to the 30's in about 4 hrs. This was the first nights in my hh ul. I used a ridgecrest pad and a slumberjack 20 degree bag.I put the pad inside the bag so I wouldn't slip off of it.
I had on a set of polypro shirt and pants with a light wool shirt on top.
No real issue .I did get a little cold for a short period the first night but curled up and shook the chill.
I am going to continue to test the system before my section hike in April. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BEAS

te-wa
02-26-2008, 16:55
I noticed that a pad in a hammock tends to stay rigid, when the nylon tends to stretch. This can create ruffled edges on the pad and that translates to sleeping on little lumps. I did however take a 1/4 GG thinlight pad down to 40.1 degrees without any layering. Just a no sniveller.

Im going to try the No Sniveller as an underquilt when I get a new hammock - but I think the guys (more experience) above nailed it... whatever works for you. Try 'em both.

Cannibal
02-26-2008, 17:09
I'm one of those who sweat on a pad, so there's that. But, even if I wasn't a sweaty-pad-sleeper I'd still prefer the UQs. To me they are just more comfortable; I still feel like I'm in a hammock. JMO.

Miguel
02-26-2008, 19:54
I recently switched from a pad system to an underquilt. For starters there was always at least some condensation. When you're damp....you become cold. I started off with a simple rectangular pad wich was OK but it always left my shoulders, knees or arms cold. In other words the pad didn't cover the sides of the hammock....just the bottom. I then added wings wich attached with velcro. It worked OK but I still had the condensation and the system was becoming VERY bulky. I also found that the wings would sometime buckle which I found to be annoying.

I finally talked my lovely bride into making me an underquilt with synthetic insulation. I've only had the opportunity to use it twice....one of those times being in the high twenties. I stayed comfortable both times. The underquilt wraps entirely around the bottom and sides of the hammock, all the way up to the netting. My knees, shoulders and arms stayed warm all night, and it was very comfortable. If I wanted to increase the temp range I could always toss in a rectangular pad. So far I'm pretty darned happy with it. I'm sure eventually I'll wind up with a down underquilt. I'm also toying with the idea of making a thin underquilt which could attach to the other one when needed.

Anyway....that's my take on pads vs underquilts.

Now if you happen to be an animal like our Neo, you won't need no stinking underquilt....but that's another story altogether.;)

Miguel

Bulldog
02-27-2008, 11:10
I use an underquilt mostly due to the fact that, I like Cannibal, sweat with a pad most of the time. Although in the summer Its all I use for under insulation (espically here in the Mid-Alantic). But, with an underquilt I don't have to be worried about if Im on my pad correctly. If not I have to get up, adjust (I have a double layered so no struggleing w/ the pad inside the hammock). While after a few setups, I get the hang of it, it takes a while to find the sweet spot. And I use a really wide pad.

winger
02-27-2008, 11:49
I switched from a pad/sleeping bag combo to the JRB quilt system and it made a huge difference. Much, much warmer, easier to use, and no condensation.