PDA

View Full Version : What bag do you use with your HH?

CajunHiker
02-26-2008, 13:56
I'm about to get a HH Exedition Asym. At some point, I'll also need a new bag. What works the best with the HH's? I was thinking a center zip would work well. Something with a pad sleeve like a BA? Bear in mind, I may need to ground pitch occasionally.

jlb2012
02-26-2008, 14:29
Nunatak Arc Alpinist - ie a quilt

rasputen
02-26-2008, 14:31
I'm about to get a HH Exedition Asym. At some point, I'll also need a new bag. What works the best with the HH's? I was thinking a center zip would work well. Something with a pad sleeve like a BA? Bear in mind, I may need to ground pitch occasionally.

I have an HH Explorer UL and Deluxe. I use a BA Lost Ranger +15(left zip) and find that it works well! Good Luck....

Take-a-knee
02-26-2008, 14:47
Exped Wallcreeper and Feathered Friends Rock Wren, or a Jardine quilt.

CajunHiker
02-26-2008, 14:56
The Rock Wren looks like what I had in mind. Are there any other companies that make a bag in that style?

HappyCamper
02-26-2008, 15:03
What temps will you be using the bag/quilt in?

JRB No Sniv Quilt
WM Summerlite, full zip (use it like a quilt when No Sniv is underquilt)
I camp mostly in 40 degree and up temps.

CajunHiker
02-26-2008, 15:11
Around here you never know. Probably "never" lower than an occasional 20deg. I've been car camping for the last 4 years, and I'm trying best to whittle my pack weight down (on a (tight) budget).

Quoddy
02-26-2008, 15:28
Either a Feathered Friends Rock Wren (http://www.featheredfriends.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productId=82&CatId=1&ProductName=Rock%20Wren) or Winter Wren (http://www.featheredfriends.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productId=84&CatId=1&ProductName=Winter%20Wren). My Winter Wren has worked great with my Speer and would be at least as good with a HH.

headchange4u
02-26-2008, 16:01
I prefer using a quilt in a hammock or a bag opened up like a quilt, especially if using a HH. Getting in a sleeping bag while inside a HH is not fun.

As far as bags go, I really like Western Mountaineering and they have a new line of bags that have little or no insulation on the bottom and also has a sleeve for a pad.

Peter_pan
02-26-2008, 16:54
Around here you never know. Probably "never" lower than an occasional 20deg. I've been car camping for the last 4 years, and I'm trying best to whittle my pack weight down (on a (tight) budget).

Whittle away... cut a bag into a quilt or get a quilt either way.... save the weight.... bags are not necessary in hammocks.

A quilt will work on the ground as well.... Because .... the pad you are planning to use any way is the real bottom insulation in the hammock or on the ground.... BTW you will need side insulation jam pads, cross pads or someting else or you will be cold.

I 'm biased when it comes to quilts.

Pan

Take-a-knee
02-27-2008, 00:05
I prefer using a quilt in a hammock or a bag opened up like a quilt, especially if using a HH. Getting in a sleeping bag while inside a HH is not fun.

As far as bags go, I really like Western Mountaineering and they have a new line of bags that have little or no insulation on the bottom and also has a sleeve for a pad.

Getting into a Hennessy wearing a Rock Wren is like falling out of (or rather into) bed. Unzip the Wren and pull it over your head or step through the open bottom and stick your arms out of the arm holes. Pull the hood over your head and "hike" the bag up above your butt a little. Step into the hammock slit and sit down. Lie back, position yourself diagonally, and reach down and close the drawstring bottom. If it is cold, pull your arms inside, I don't close the arm hole zippers unless it is really cold. This bag and a JRB Nest is a sweet setup. There is about a 4-5oz weight penalty over a topquilt, but I think the bag is a bit warmer than a quilt so it is a toss up IMO.

Cannibal
02-27-2008, 00:12
I can see how a Wren would be pretty easy to use with a HH. Probably the only bag that is user friendly in a HH. Plus, being encapsulated in down just has to be sweet.

CajunHiker
02-27-2008, 00:22
This looks like a nice mod.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=140&catid=13
Custom Feathered Friends Rock Wren.
Modified full length zipper to function as top quilt. Modified grosgrain loops to function as Hennessey underquilt. 2oz overfill, pertex quantum inside and out
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/3/7/DSC00239.JPG

CursedKarma
02-27-2008, 00:31
I will have to agree with Rasputen. I have a couple HH's, and a a couple ENO's. I use a BA Lost Ranger with a thermarest mil issue pad. I have used it down into the low 30's, and could easily hit the high 20's with comfort. Happy Hanging.

CajunHiker
02-27-2008, 00:56
I found Turk's post about the custom Wren.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=45495&postcount=5

bredler
02-28-2008, 02:04
I use a Campmor 20* down bag. $109.99 and very good quality. On a 24* night, snowing/freezing rain/6-8mph wind with my JRB underquilt and the campmor bag only, I was TOASTY. I start with the bag unzipped and you stick it in the hammock first, then push it to the side when you get in. Then put your feet in the foot pouch and pull the bag over you. Use it like a quilt with a footsack or just tuck it in around you on the sides.

Works really well for me.

1stoffoot
02-28-2008, 03:03
Hi guys,

well as I have a HHED think i can comment on this one.

I have a few bags some central / some right side zips. so the following

british army sleeping system - great bag central zip, bit heavy.

softie elite 3 - another great bag, right zip, packs down to nothing.

I tend to use the softie now as its easier to get into my bergan, lightweight and good warmth rating.

K

Hector
02-28-2008, 10:54
When cold, I use a Big Agnes Mystic long left-zip with a Ridgerest Deluxe of matching size (78 x 20). Open the bag all the way, sit on the sleeved pad in the middle of the bag, rotate about 90°, lay down, pull top of bag over you and zip up as required. You can then toss and turn inside the spacious bag (and I do) without worrying about the pad slipping around under you. IMO this setup is perfect for a Hennessey's bottom-mount system.

When warm, I use as little as possible, a cheap fleece bag or even a Coolmax sheet. It gets *very* hot and humid down here in the summer. I'm getting older and starting to wuss out on going out in the summer, sticking to spring/fall/winter camping.