PDA

View Full Version : The Making of a GrizzBridge (part 4) Bugnet and Deployment

GrizzlyAdams
05-01-2011, 17:50
How do you spell relief? The "Making of a GrizzBridge" project is completed!

In the last installment of the series we go over several steps involved in the construction and attachment of a zipped-in bugnet, and at the end visit some of the finished details looking at the completed, hanging, hammock.

For those of you hardy enough to wade through the entire adventure, congratulations and thanks. Neither topic nor presenter are viral material, but I hope the videos are useful for those who are thinking of making a DIY bridge hammock or are just curious about how mine are made. Or have a serious need to get a life!

For me, on to new projects!

aq9GEkqrImw

Old River Rat
05-01-2011, 18:50
Thanks Grizz. No worries with the name . . . I plan on being lazy.

BER
05-02-2011, 00:37
Very nice, Grizz.
Thanks for taking the time to put this video series together for us all.
They have been much appreciated.

Pro Vagabond
05-02-2011, 12:42
My head hurts....:huh:

I just watched all 4 installments in prep for building my own...:mellow:

The Spring MAHHA got my juices flowing to tackle a new challenge, but I'm not sure if this is the one...:confused:

Of course, I've got all summer to fight my way through it. :rolleyes:

Great job Grizz, I'm sure I'll be refering back to the vids over and over and over and....:drool:

Thanks for making it available to those of us nutty enough to try to build one ourselves. :shades:

WV
05-02-2011, 12:52
Great video. Who does your stunts? (I'm talking about those nimble fingers that can install a zipper slider so fast. Did you hire a magician?):D

GrizzlyAdams
05-02-2011, 13:54
Thanks Grizz. No worries with the name . . . I plan on being lazy.

you will have earned it!

Very nice, Grizz.
Thanks for taking the time to put this video series together for us all.
They have been much appreciated.

Thanks, am looking forward to reports on your next version! I think there is something to making the head end flatter by narrowing the fabric...good luck!

My head hurts....:huh:

My lectures frequently have that effect on students :scared:

I just watched all 4 installments in prep for building my own...:mellow:

The Spring MAHHA got my juices flowing to tackle a new challenge, but I'm not sure if this is the one...:confused:

Of course, I've got all summer to fight my way through it. :rolleyes:

Great job Grizz, I'm sure I'll be refering back to the vids over and over and over and....:drool:

Thanks for making it available to those of us nutty enough to try to build one ourselves. :shades:

It is actually easier than it looks. I think the videos will help most when you're in the middle of it, just realize there is a problem or a decision to be made, and then you say "Ah ha! That's why Grizz droned on so about that point...."

Great video. Who does your stunts? (I'm talking about those nimble fingers that can install a zipper slider so fast. Did you hire a magician?):D

I was lucky! Very rarely do they go on in one shot like that. I was so happy...and for anyone who was paying attention...NO transitions in that clip. Real time, before your very eyes, just like the scenes in Hitchcock's movie "Rope".

The first time I tried to put on a zipper pull I despaired of ever getting it right!! What I learned was the key is to get both sides of the tape through the pull at the same level at the same time. One side a little ways and then the other just doesn't work. I've probably done 1-2 dozen zippers now, so it comes more naturally.

Jsaults
05-02-2011, 14:41
that you put into your hammocks. Apparently every one of them is a learning experience, with little tweaks and evolutionary steps to improve the type. I myself am unwilling to tackle such a daunting sewing project, so instead I futz with numerous variations in seats for my solo touring canoe, all in the effort to create THE most comfortable seat on the water.

I salute you Griz, a Fellow Futzer!

Jim

GrizzlyAdams
05-02-2011, 17:06
Jsaults---we members of the Fellowship of Fanatically Fastidious Futzers can recognize each other on contact, no? Is it the eyes, the picking off of lint (or in my case threads) from clothing? Perhaps it is simply in our handiwork.

Perhaps you'd be interested in shooting nearly an hour of video on how you create the most comfortable chair possible in a solo canoe? I'd watch! I've spend many an hour solo paddling in the waterways of Minnesota (didn't hurt that my grandfather and uncles owned a company that made fiberglass canoes :cool:)

Jsaults
05-02-2011, 19:00
But this weekend, weather permitting, I will take some pics and post them in the paddling forum. I also need to make a posting over in Solo Tripping.

I love incremental improvements! I am involved in a cold war with a friend from near Baltimore over this seat comfort thing. We see each other infrequently, but always love to eyeball what the other has been working on. He is a much better documenter than I, and he has a larger fleet on which to experiment, but I strive to rise to his level.

Jim
Futz On!

Gary_R
05-29-2011, 16:25
Very cool Hammock.. Now just to figure out a way to make the end poles your trekking poles..

Boots13
06-06-2012, 22:36
Yet another project added to my very long list, thanx for the series I thought it was done very well and clear