PDA

View Full Version : ridgline help?

phataux
05-13-2011, 09:02
i have an eno double nest. i am 6 foot 1. how long should my rigid ridgline be? i need a starting point to work with. thanks for the help

gmcttr
05-13-2011, 09:20
I believe the generally excepted ridgeline starting length is 83% of the length of the hammock laid out flat.

Welcome to the forum.

taylo
05-13-2011, 09:20
I have an eno dn as well. I would recommend larks heading one end of the ridgeline to one end of the hammock, and then have enough to just go around the other end however you want, pull tight to create sag, and tie of with a couple of half hitches. Lay in the hammock and see how it feels. If you want more or less sag, then untie the hald hitches and adjust. Dont worry about measurements, it's all about how it feels. Usually a good smiley face of a sag is good.

dragon360
05-13-2011, 09:49
+1 on the 83% rule as a starting point and then some fiddling with an adjustable ridgeline to dial it just right.

Apollo2112
05-13-2011, 14:38
Yeah start with 82-83%, and then adjust from there. It depends on how much sag you prefer or are used to having.

raiffnuke
05-25-2011, 09:35
I also have an eno. I think that adding a ridgeline is a good idea. Is 550 paracord strong enough for a ridgeline? :confused:

Syb
05-25-2011, 09:42
I also have an eno. I think that adding a ridgeline is a good idea. Is 550 paracord strong enough for a ridgeline? :confused:It' only a good idea if you want to be comfortable in your hammock. Yes, 550 works fine. Others here use Zing-It or Lash-It as they're smaller and you can splice it to make a whoopie sling RL. This makes it easy to go from 83% to your optimal length.

joehasbeard
05-25-2011, 13:29
expanding on the paracord idea (because i happen to have a ton of it lying around) i'm looking at a lark's head at one end and a tautline hitch at the other to make it adjustable. i'd imagine the hitch would hold but you guys would know better than I would, any experience in such a setup?

Syb
05-25-2011, 13:34
expanding on the paracord idea (because i happen to have a ton of it lying around) i'm looking at a lark's head at one end and a tautline hitch at the other to make it adjustable. i'd imagine the hitch would hold but you guys would know better than I would, any experience in such a setup?

The tautline hitch will hold fine. Once you get your length dialed in you can swap it out with an exact length of your rope material/preference. Personally, I like that little bit of adjust-ability so much so that I made the RL on my WBBB adjustable.

KevinDee
05-28-2011, 22:57
i also have the eno and just recently added a ridgeline. I had an extra bone knot and a figure 9 laying around so i used them to make an adjustable ridgeline. I have each end connected to the biners on either side of the doublenest. works great and no knots needed

phataux
05-30-2011, 09:40
Hey thanks everyone. Sorry for the delay, I've been working 80+ hrs a week, no time for internet