PDA

View Full Version : Backwoods Daydreamer Announcement

sclittlefield
05-16-2011, 14:49
Hey Gang. I know it's been a while since you've heard anything new coming from Backwoods Daydreamer Gear. I'd like to explain a bit about what's been going on and how the future looks, along with keying you in on a significant change.

First.... Hello, my name is Scott Littlefield, and I'm a diy-gear'aholic. It's been two weeks since my last thread injection, but truth be told, that's only because it's when I broke my backup thread injector. As soon as my primary machine is repaired, I'll be back at it with full abandon.

It was my enjoyment of building and innovating backpacking gear that eventually led to the creation of Backwoods Daydreamer Gear. I live in rural Maine and prefer to hike in the backwoods where there are no trails or campsites - and when I'm out there (or anywhere, really) I like to daydream... the name just made sense.

Backwoods Daydreamer Gear began in mid 2009 with silnylon tarps. We sold 6 different styles, and it didn't take long for demand to overtake my ability to keep up. Your support was, in truth, overwhelming! Thank you.

It's no secret that tarps have been out of production for a full year now. I have to work full time outside of BWDD, and have a wife and little girl. Of the three (family, work, BWDD gear production), something had to go and it was an obvious choice. I worked with a few stitchers locally to attempt to hire out production - unfortunately the quality never met my requirements.

Since then we've opened up the store to sell materials for DIY enthusiasts like myself. That's been very rewarding - not so much financially, but because it's what I really like to do.

Production is not my passion. Innovation, design, prototyping - now that excites me. So, while Backwoods Daydreamer Gear tarps (and a few other slightly more secretive products) are taking a step to the rear, DIY is moving ahead as the frontrunner in this business.

And so, without further ado, please welcome www.diygearsupply.com (http://www.diygearsupply.com).

This will be the DIY arm of Backwoods Daydreamer. (Mind you, it is a work in progress, there are tweaks in the works even now for the site.) Backwoods Daydreamer Gear will continue in the background for now, and will be the finished gear side of what I do. DIY Gear Supply will be focused solely on DIY. I believe that DIY Gear Supply as a name makes more sense for this focus. Very soon backwoodsdaydreamer.com will bump over to the new site automatically.

DIY Gear Supply is intended to encourage both the budding DIY'er as well as the "master maker" of all things outdoor gear - hammocks, tarps, packs, quilts, etc. I do hope to expand beyond hammocks and hammock accessories, but those items will still be the core of what we do.

You will notice a few price changes, some have gone up a bit, some down a bit. For most customers, shipping will be lower, and it now better reflects USPS zone pricing. You will also now find quite a few new products that you haven't seen at Backwoods Daydreamer yet. And there's more coming, including 850fp goose down.

When all is up and running, there will be four key areas to help you at www.diygearsupply.com.
First is obvious, a materials resource store with excellent pricing. The goal is to carry everything you would need to build any of the projects we have instructions for.
Second, we will offer DIY Guides with great projects and instructions - for free.
Third, a links resource to other DIY helps.
Fourthly, you can go ahead and pick my brain directly through the contact page. I'll be glad to share any DIY tips and tricks you need, and if I don't know them, hopefully I can at least point you in the right direction.

__________________________________________________ _____

For those interested in Backwoods Daydreamer Gear products:

Yes, tarps (and the other secret products) are still out of production. But... I am not ruling them out - in fact, I have been shown a few possible resources from kind customers to get production up and running full steam (Made in America resources). When things settle with DIY Gear Supply and I can set a little money aside rather than pumping it all back into expanding the materials selection I will pursue some of these possible avenues.

That said, I have no realistic time frame for this. Please don't wait on buying a tarp from Backwoods Daydreamer Gear. There are some excellent cottage gear makers represented here at Hammock Forums and I highly encourage you to utilize them. I will have links to many of them on my website.

chickenwing
05-16-2011, 14:58
Woo Hoo! Glad to see it. I have already linked to you from my site and while I don't have a huge following, I hope I am driving some traffic your way. Your prices and customer service have always been TOP NOTCH!!!!

by the way... if you need someone to field test the
Backwoods Daydreamer Gear tarps (and a few other slightly more secretive products) you just pm me I will will gladly be your go to person for that.

dragon360
05-16-2011, 15:04
Awesome! and nicely done at that.

myles to go
05-16-2011, 15:04
Scott, it's good to see that you are doing well and love to see that your going to continue your diy supplies, Good luck with your new site:)

Syb
05-16-2011, 15:06
This is excellent news Scott.

Your prices and customer service have always been TOP NOTCH!!!! +1 Can't speak highly enough to this point.

morticianfaller
05-16-2011, 15:08
looks like a great site and the prices seem to be good also. I will be watching for the DIY guides section to come online. Best of luck to you in your newest venture.

PapaSmurf
05-16-2011, 15:08
Great news. Thanks for all do for us!

NCPatrick
05-16-2011, 15:14
I am excited about your new direction. Expect many orders from my neck of the woods!

Callahan
05-16-2011, 15:39
Good to hear Scott! Best of luck with the new direction, and thanks for the great customer service when I emailed you a while back with some questions on what I would need for a DIY hammock.

Cheers :D

Jazilla
05-16-2011, 15:57
This is awesome.

DiscoveryDiver
05-16-2011, 16:11
Congratulations on the evolution...I wish you all the success!

I think your tarps have a lot to offer...hope to see those up and running someday...

Redoleary
05-16-2011, 18:38
Truly great news. Thanks so much for supporting the DIY and HF community.
All the best to you and diygearsupply.com

Mountain Gout
05-16-2011, 18:43
Very, very nice..:thumbup::thumbup:

opie
05-16-2011, 20:06
Excellent news Scott. Happy to hear things are moving along for you.

KenDen
05-16-2011, 20:07
Production is not my passion. Innovation, design, prototyping - now that excites me. So, while Backwoods Daydreamer Gear tarps (and a few other slightly more secretive products) are taking a step to the rear, DIY is moving ahead as the frontrunner in this business.
Scott,
I look forward to seeing more of your design and protyping with the packpacks. I am still thinking about a pack that using spreader bars as a frame.

Good luck with the new site pages. I have been meaning to get some stuff ordered but I keep running into "other" things..

ShadowAlpha
05-16-2011, 21:22
Excellent & congrats! :D

Knotty
05-16-2011, 21:32
Way to go. That's fantastic Scott!

JayS
05-16-2011, 21:33
You've got to love cottage industry when it is as transparent as this! Best of luck!

bigbamaguy
05-16-2011, 21:51
Scott:
This is great news and congrats on the new store......I look forward to the new secret line of BWDD Gear!!!!!!!!!!

SwampSloth
05-16-2011, 22:10
making my DIY wish list now

SmokeBait
05-16-2011, 22:23
Good deal Scott! Glad you're still going to be active in the hammock community. And I'll cherish my BWDD Winter Dream tarp more than ever :D

RootCause
05-16-2011, 22:29
.....and best wishes. Nice site!

gmcttr
05-17-2011, 09:25
In the short time that I've been DIYing hammock gear, you have already become my go-to materials source (got a shipping notice last night).

Thank you for the selection, pricing and great service. Best of luck!

the2nddeal
05-17-2011, 13:21
Congrats. Always had great service and great products from you. Glad to see you're continuing the DIY part.

sclittlefield
05-17-2011, 17:31
Woo Hoo! Glad to see it. I have already linked to you from my site and while I don't have a huge following, I hope I am driving some traffic your way. Your prices and customer service have always been TOP NOTCH!!!!

by the way... if you need someone to field test the you just pm me I will will gladly be your go to person for that.

Thanks CW. I'll keep you in mind on field testing. :)

Awesome! and nicely done at that.
Thanks.

Scott, it's good to see that you are doing well and love to see that your going to continue your diy supplies, Good luck with your new site:)
Thank you.

This is excellent news Scott.
+1 Can't speak highly enough to this point.
Thanks Syb.

I will be watching for the DIY guides section to come online.

This is, in my opinion, going to be the best part of the site. It's still going to be a little while before the framework is even completed for it, but the concept is there and I've got a couple DIY guides I can pop on quick once it's ready.

I'll also be running a reward system for you guys who submit DIY guides once I get the format down - likely in the form of gift certificates to the store awarded for instructions that get chosen for the Guides page.

Great news. Thanks for all do for us!
No no... thank you. :)

I am excited about your new direction. Expect many orders from my neck of the woods!
Thanks NC.

thanks for the great customer service when I emailed you a while back with some questions on what I would need for a DIY hammock.
My pleasure - I'm excited to have the new DIY Guides section, so when it's set for me to updated whenever I want I can compile helps for the FAQ's I get.

This is awesome.
Thank you sir!

I think your tarps have a lot to offer...hope to see those up and running someday...
Me too! Don't rule it out.

Truly great news. Thanks so much for supporting the DIY and HF community.
I think it's the other way around, I've been crazy encouraged by the support of the HF community! :)

Very, very nice..:thumbup::thumbup:
Thanks Stan.

Excellent news Scott. Happy to hear things are moving along for you.
Opie.. you're on my radar for the "test new gear" list. Thanks for showing me how to do Paypal buttons! :)

Scott,
I look forward to seeing more of your design and protyping with the packpacks. I am still thinking about a pack that using spreader bars as a frame.
I've a friend, and active HF member, currently working on making pack design a big part of DIY Gear Supply. I'll try to get some of the new materials for it online soon.

Excellent & congrats! :D
Thanks.

Way to go. That's fantastic Scott!
Thank you Knotty. You should submit a "Gathered End Hammock" DIY Guide once I have the format done.

You've got to love cottage industry when it is as transparent as this! Best of luck!
Thank you sir! I may not be the best business man, sometimes I probably share too much - but I'd rather err on the side of integrity than the alternative.

Scott:
This is great news and congrats on the new store......I look forward to the new secret line of BWDD Gear!!!!!!!!!!
Shhh.... don't tell anyone. :) Actually - there are 9 or 10 prototypes floating around the HF crowd right now. They've done a stellar job of keeping hush hush. :)

making my DIY wish list now
:)

Good deal Scott! Glad you're still going to be active in the hammock community. And I'll cherish my BWDD Winter Dream tarp more than ever :D
Oh yeah! HF has been and currently still is my only active forum. I want to get more active on BPL and a couple others perhaps, but HF is and will be the group I focus on. Hammock gear is what I intend to focus materials on for the most part.

.....and best wishes. Nice site!
Thank you.

In the short time that I've been DIYing hammock gear, you have already become my go-to materials source (got a shipping notice last night).

Thank you for the selection, pricing and great service. Best of luck!
It's in the mail... man - I was up until 1:30am last night doing orders (or, I guess, that's 1:30 this morning...). That's what I get for going away for a weekend. :) Thanks for keeping me busy.

Congrats. Always had great service and great products from you. Glad to see you're continuing the DIY part.
Thanks jalford.

lazy river road
05-17-2011, 17:33
Glad to see your getting BWDD CO. coming back. MY BWWD is still my go to tarp :)

opie
05-17-2011, 20:00
Opie.. you're on my radar for the "test new gear" list. Thanks for showing me how to do Paypal buttons! :)

They integrate nicely, dont they!!

samjaynes
05-18-2011, 12:30
Best of luck Scott - you are a great fellow to work with, order from, and one who openly shares information on this forum. Definitely will refer business to both sources.

Cheers, and make sure you still get out to the backwoods with this new endeavor

samjaynes
05-18-2011, 12:33
By the way, when clicking on the DIY instruction link - it was blocked with a spam filter as it was "The website you were trying to reach: dsnextgen.com"

Shadowmoss
05-18-2011, 14:48
One of my better moves was getting my BWDD Winter Dream tarp when I did. Especially glad now that they are collectors items.

sclittlefield
05-19-2011, 12:23
By the way, when clicking on the DIY instruction link - it was blocked with a spam filter as it was "The website you were trying to reach: dsnextgen.com"

The DIY Guides page is not up yet, so it will bump you over to whatever search page your ISP automatically uses. Hopefully it will be rather soon when the framework for the guides is up.

- Scott

Visionmonger
05-24-2011, 20:03
Just sent you some more work! Thanks Scott!