PDA

View Full Version : trek light

shiftyer1
05-23-2011, 12:40
I've torn my double hammock, how can I fix it?

shiftyer1
05-23-2011, 13:48
from all the replies I have a feeling i'm just out of luck?

beep
05-23-2011, 13:58
from all the replies I have a feeling i'm just out of luck?

While I have no specific experience with Trek Light hammocks, in general the loads on hammock fabric can make repairs very chancy. Repairs may get you through a trip but I'd be inclined to go ahead and replace a significant tear. YMMV.

TrekLightGear
05-23-2011, 15:32
Tear-Aid is the patch I use and recommend for all repairs. It's extremely durable and has held up to load bearing, weather and all the typical hammock usage I've seen so far. I definitely recommend putting a patch on both sides of the hammock tear for maximum strength.

I actually recently made arrangements for us to begin selling Tear-Aid patch kits, but it may be a couple weeks before we've got them in stock. For now, you can order them online or visit their website to find a local retailer.

http://www.tear-aid.com/stores.htm

If there's anything else I can help with, just let me know.

TrekLightGear
05-23-2011, 15:45
I should have clarified my post a little bit since I realized I have no idea what size of a tear you're describing. I've only ever attempted repair on small holes and tears (ember burns, puncture holes, etc.) If you're talking about a large tear (anything over a couple inches) then patch repair is less likely to be effective.

Also, it probably goes without saying but keep in mind what you're dealing with and make sure you gingerly test your patch work to make sure it's holding well. AKA Hang your hammock low and gradually put it through some more stress to make sure it holds. A patched hammock can truly function 'good as new' for a long time to come but always keep in mind that the structural integrity has been altered so you should always hang in a safe way to minimize the chance for injury in case the patch fails at some point. Obviously checking on the patch from time to time and replacing it if necessary is good practice as well.

That's all my fatherly hammock repair advice for now.

shiftyer1
05-23-2011, 16:12
It's a 3 cornered tear about 3 x 3 inches. I have no idea how it tore, I woke up this morning and saw part of my blanket sticking out the bottom. On closer inspection I found several other small holes in the fabric :(

Thanx for the advice, i've only had the hammock 3 weeks i'll give the tear aid a shot.

TrekLightGear
05-23-2011, 16:27
That's incredibly unusual to have multiple holes (or even a single hole) after 3 weeks of using the hammock, even if you're sleeping in it nightly. My guess would be that something you're unaware of is rubbing or scraping (does the hammock hang on a stand that might be touching the fabric?) or something else is causing the punctures/abrasion (have any pets? is there anything unusual on your blanket or that you're wearing while in the hammock that could cause it?).

If you've eliminated all possibilities and convinced it's a manufacturing defect of sorts I'd be happy to replace the hammock for you, just let me know how I can help.

shiftyer1
05-23-2011, 16:53
I haven't been able to find the cause of the holes but I don't know if it's a defect either. So far it's a mystery.

I think it's great that u take the time to pop up on a forum to give advice and discuss it with me. That says alot!

A replacement would be wonderful but I don't know if I caused the problems. This is my first hammock and I have been sleeping in it almost nightly. My son has been trying to talk me into buying one for him also.

Cannibal
05-23-2011, 18:46
Can you post some pictures of the tear or the holes?
I've always believed that fabric to be plenty strong, so my interest is definitely perked. I've got a TrekLight that's 3 years old and still looks great. Gotta be something going on. :confused:

Bummer about your hammock. I'd replace it if it were me. Maybe send it in to Seth and let him look at it. Hopefully it is just a bad egg and will get replaced for you. Still, bummer.

finskie
05-23-2011, 18:53
Sounds similar to the perfect cut i woke up and found on my Edge. A mystery, wrapped in a riddle.

shiftyer1
05-23-2011, 19:23
I'm going to patch it and let my son use it, if the tear aid makes it useable. I am planning on getting another. I haven't heard of poor quality or any complaints about these products and the simple fact that the ceo took the time to give some input on my problem means alot in my book. I'll see if I can post some pics.

As far as fabric strength....the tear is about where my back was and it didn't drop me on the ground:)

shiftyer1
05-23-2011, 19:38
http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt227/shiftyer1/IMAG0044.jpg

shiftyer1
05-23-2011, 19:41
double post

shiftyer1
05-23-2011, 19:44
The smaller holes are too small to get a decent pic of. Not that this picture's the best.

It looks like it got snagged on something but theres nothing within 10 feet of where I hang it.

A crazy women told me she put a curse on me a few days ago....maybe I should have taken her more seriously. lol

finskie
05-23-2011, 20:08
It looks as though it got caught on the corner of something square... like a table or post.(obvious rip and not cut, also not likely a manufacturing thing unless you ripped a tag off) Most likely before you set up, and you lucked out by not tumbling in your sleep.