PDA

View Full Version : replaced biners and rope

AppalachianHammock
05-24-2011, 21:15
So I bought 2 metolius mini wiregate carabiners, weighing .88 oz. each. I also replaced the stock heavy rope with some 3mm climbing cord, that is rated to somthing like 5kn, or like 600 pounds. I have used this for suspenstion for a DIY hammock, so I am not afraid of the cord breaking, but I was just wondering, is it dangerous to have such small cord going through the channel? Will having all the force concentrated on a small surface area hurt or tear the hammock? I went through twice, just like the stock rope.

SpaceCadet
05-25-2011, 07:53
I've run 7/64" Amsteel through my end channels and haven't had any issue.

So I bought 2 metolius mini wiregate carabiners, weighing .88 oz. each. I also replaced the stock heavy rope with some 3mm climbing cord, that is rated to somthing like 5kn, or like 600 pounds. I have used this for suspenstion for a DIY hammock, so I am not afraid of the cord breaking, but I was just wondering, is it dangerous to have such small cord going through the channel? Will having all the force concentrated on a small surface area hurt or tear the hammock? I went through twice, just like the stock rope.

Jsaults
05-25-2011, 09:24
1. Climbing accessory cord (prussic cord) is most always nylon, noted here on HF to be notoriously stretchy. Especially when wet. Makes obtaining a proper hang more difficult than polyester line or webbing. You may have to hang your rig tightly to overcome the sag.

2. While 7/64" Amsteel is similar in diameter to prussic cord, it is MUCH slipperyer, so it is unable to generate friction against the nylon hammock body tunnel which might melt and weaken the nylon.

3. 600# seems a bit low, considering the forces generated by the diagonal nature of the suspension lines. Better off with a stronger line methinks.

Jim

Bubba
05-25-2011, 09:53
You could try just feeding the carabiner through the end channels. The ENO Pronests come this way. Having said that, I have 7/64 Amsteel loops I made in my ENO's. The loops are larksheaded through the channels so the material is gathered so tightly that I doubt it would ever cut cut through.

AppalachianHammock
05-25-2011, 12:19
You could try just feeding the carabiner through the end channels. The ENO Pronests come this way. Having said that, I have 7/64 Amsteel loops I made in my ENO's. The loops are larksheaded through the channels so the material is gathered so tightly that I doubt it would ever cut cut through.

I tryed just feeding the carbiner, but they are way too small for all the material of the dbl nest. I have some light weight 1/2" rope I could use instead, if that would be better. Idk the weight rating of it, but it is hollow braid with polypro core strands.

Cannibal
05-25-2011, 12:46
Same here. Only time I've ever had an issue with the cinch-end channels can be blamed squarely on my lack of skill with a thread injector...and maybe a complacent view of the effects of gravity.

Since my skills have improved, I've not had any issues. Particularity with thin line 'cutting' through the fabric. Although, I'm still somewhat surprised that it does not. Maybe Amsteel is just magic?

AppalachianHammock
05-25-2011, 14:22
Same here. Only time I've ever had an issue with the cinch-end channels can be blamed squarely on my lack of skill with a thread injector...and maybe a complacent view of the effects of gravity.

Since my skills have improved, I've not had any issues. Particularity with thin line 'cutting' through the fabric. Although, I'm still somewhat surprised that it does not. Maybe Amsteel is just magic?

EDIT: Hung today in the new system, and no noticeble stretch. I was concerned at first, but after layin in it for about 10min, I was still fine. This weekend, I think I will take a piece of the rope, and make a step tied to an overhead branch, and see if I can bounce up and down without breaking. I trust it pretty much right now, but I dont plan on hanging over any sharp rocks anytime soon. (still might replace with a little bigger rope)

Carolina Razorback
09-21-2011, 09:10
thanks for the insight

Rain Man
09-21-2011, 11:03
... some 3mm climbing cord, that is rated to somthing like 5kn, or like 600 pounds. ... Will having all the force concentrated on a small surface area hurt or tear the hammock?

600 lb anything is not nearly enough safety margin. And yes, the smaller the surface area or the sharper the angle on a connection, bend, or knot, the more you weaken whatever strength you started with.

To my knowledge, there is no such thing as "3mm climbing cord." The 3mm stuff is "accessory cord," plainly NOT for climbing.

Disclaimers, such as those on the Metolius site, are there for a reason: "Any person using our gear in any manner is personally responsible for learning the proper techniques and good judgment. ... You are responsible for knowing and respecting our products capabilities and limitations. ... Failure to follow these warnings can result in severe injury or death."

You asked. Still, it's your neck and your backbone, and as always, it's "hike your own hike."

Rain Man

jons4real
11-16-2011, 18:44
I did away with the stock rope and biners. I threaded amsteel through the channel ends and its been fine. I'm using rings on the end of the amsteel. All in all its works fine. I would like to switch over to dutch biners and scrap the rings.

Knotty
11-16-2011, 19:46
EDIT: Hung today in the new system, and no noticeble stretch. I was concerned at first, but after layin in it for about 10min, I was still fine. This weekend, I think I will take a piece of the rope, and make a step tied to an overhead branch, and see if I can bounce up and down without breaking. I trust it pretty much right now, but I dont plan on hanging over any sharp rocks anytime soon. (still might replace with a little bigger rope)

I concur with Rain Man. The lower limit of safe hammock suspension rope is 1000# and I prefer the higher rating of 7/64" amsteel. Just because what you're using hasn't failed yet doesn't mean it wont in the future. Also, 10 minutes isn't long enough to determine if the rope you're using will stretch or not plus nylon stretches the most after it gets wet. Many a hanger has started the night above ground only to find themselves touching it by morning. Everyone should hang their own hang but there's a collective wisdom here on the forum that can help you avoid mistakes that have already been made. Best wishes on finding the best suspension system for your needs.

DemostiX
11-16-2011, 20:09
On the burden to the channel of passing a nominal 1/8" (3mm). I have myself worried that, and put a sleeve on the cord to distribute the load more broadly. I've also done what you have: doubled --well actually trippled -- the cord by passing a spliced continuous loop back through. I suppose I should once every many nights look for signs of wear toward the center of the channel, where the load is highest.

Others have urged caution about the breaking strength of the line. Should you switch to the 3mm cord most of us are familiar with, Amsteel / Spectra and similar with breaking strength in excess of 1000lb, know that it is extremely self-slippery. So must of us would probably think that it is non-abrasive to a fabric channel it runs through, even though many would follow a different practice of tying or looping the strong cord around a knob made of the gathered end of hammock-bed fabric.

TheHangingTechy
11-22-2011, 23:12

As have I.

Jimmyo66
11-28-2011, 19:03
I agree with Knotty on this one. Each hang is different, but the wisdom here is worth it's weight in gold.

muddog15
11-29-2011, 06:20
600 lb anything is not nearly enough safety margin. And yes, the smaller the surface area or the sharper the angle on a connection, bend, or knot, the more you weaken whatever strength you started with.

To my knowledge, there is no such thing as "3mm climbing cord." The 3mm stuff is "accessory cord," plainly NOT for climbing.

Disclaimers, such as those on the Metolius site, are there for a reason: "Any person using our gear in any manner is personally responsible for learning the proper techniques and good judgment. ... You are responsible for knowing and respecting our products capabilities and limitations. ... Failure to follow these warnings can result in severe injury or death."

You asked. Still, it's your neck and your backbone, and as always, it's "hike your own hike."

Rain Man

This is a good point, and because of this point I will never change the rope in my ENO DN, or any of my other ENO's. A few ounces saved is not worth the cost of changing them or the safety risk. Now if you tell me about pounds saved, I'll listen.

jons4real
12-06-2011, 18:46
I'm using amsteel strait through the channel ends...... Been working great .