PDA

View Full Version : Make an ENO even softer

SpaceCadet
05-28-2011, 08:36
I had a few grass stains on my DN and then it got a bit wet in the rain. So I decided to wash it. I put it on low agitation with a little bit of (roll) Tide. Hung it up to dry it. When it was dry and I got in it, I don't know if it's just my imagination, but it feels softer and nicer than before. I didn't' even use a fabric softener, but I'm debating a dose of Snuggles or something similar next time It needs a washing.
Has anyone else washed an ENO and thought it felt better after?

peanuts
05-28-2011, 09:04
yes, but do not use any softener of any kind on it... when washing i use Atko sport wash..no scent no residue.

Ramblinrev
05-28-2011, 09:10
Polyester does respond to detergents by lofting somewhat. That's why infant and toddler sleepwear is suggested to be washed in detergent. (Detergent also re-energizes the flame retardant treatment in sleepwear, but that's not a issue here.) I would also suggest foregoing the fabric softener. It can leave a residue that might might be unwanted in this application. Polyester, unlike down, is best washed with detergents and not soap. They do make unscented detergents (my daughter uses them to wash her massage table sheets.) They might be a little cheaper than the tech washes if that's an issue.

SpaceCadet
05-28-2011, 09:16
Yeah my ex-wife was all about the organic, scent and dye free detergents. I like the smell of (roll) Tide because my mom always used it and it makes me feel like a little kid. Thanks for the heads up not to use fabric softener.

wyleone
05-28-2011, 09:31
Thanks for the idea. I probably will try washing in (roll) Tide (roll) before I install my Whoopie slings. They should be here Tuesday-ish. I can't wait to get it together. :D

SpaceCadet
05-28-2011, 09:34
I wish I had a front loader, because I was uber worried about the agitator tearing the fabric. That or the whoopies getting tangled around it. But it all came out ok.

wyleone
05-28-2011, 10:38
I plan on washing the first time right before I install the woopies. If necessary, you can get a mesh bag to wash it in. I have a large "ditty bag" for small and stringy stuff that needs to get washed.

Tobus
05-31-2011, 16:18
Polyester does respond to detergents by lofting somewhat.
I thought the ENO hammocks were made of nylon? I'm looking at the tag that came off mine, and under "specs" it says: high-strength breathable woven nylon.

raiffnuke
06-01-2011, 07:32
My Eno DN has a tag that states it is Nylon as well.

wyleone
06-01-2011, 18:13
They all are.

That was coming from a HH owner, He just didn't know...

dkperdue
06-01-2011, 19:20
SpaceCadet-
You do know that ENO is an abbreviation for (War) Eagles Nest Outfitters, right?
And probably a (War) Eagles Nest Outfitters hammock would have been a great place to relax and listen to some team roll right over those Roll Tide felllows last fall.

DKPerdue
AU '82

oldgringo
06-01-2011, 20:30
:jj: :jj: :jj:

tireslinger
06-01-2011, 21:12
Thanks spacecadet for posting this! I was thinking about washing mine the other day! I am wanting to wash mine before my whoopie slings come in!!

SpaceCadet
06-02-2011, 08:29
SpaceCadet-
You do know that ENO is an abbreviation for (War) Eagles Nest Outfitters, right?
And probably a (War) Eagles Nest Outfitters hammock would have been a great place to relax and listen to some team roll right over those Roll Tide felllows last fall.

DKPerdue
AU '82

I knew something seemed slightly off about those guys at ENO. Guess that's why they keep making their slap straps out of nylon.
That was a hell of a game last fall. Though it looked like my team just gave up second half. I'm convinced we gave it to y'all just to keep the championship in the SEC :rolleyes:. Gonna make for a interesting Iron Bowl this year. 2009 Champs vs 2010 Champs.

Ramblinrev
06-02-2011, 09:01
They all are.

That was coming from a HH owner, He just didn't know...

hehe... true dat. But the same is true of nylon. It responds to detergent in much the same way.

mbcruzin
07-14-2011, 21:19
I will have to try washing mine next time.

lizzie
07-15-2011, 10:30
Whatever you do, do not wash it in bacon soap!! :mellow:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3161OsyFVqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jerry
07-15-2011, 10:50
I love bacon.....

wyleone
07-15-2011, 11:52
You would be irresistible.....

Bear taco with bacon!:eek:

Hangin' Burrito
07-17-2011, 05:57
I've attached a bug net and zipper to my DN and washed it in the bathtub. All I did was use a little laundry soap and gently agitated it and set it up to dry. I've done this a couple of times and never had a problem.
Just a thought, if your concerned about the machine tearing up the hammock.;)

thekalimist
07-17-2011, 14:05
i did this with ~2 gallons of hot water from the sink, maybe 1/3 cup of regular landry detergent iin a 5 gallon bucket. Stirred it with a broom handle. I then rinsed it twice in the same bucket. I threw it in the spin cycle between rinses and before hanging up to dry. It helped a TON with drying, took maybe an hour in my garage

Southpaw
07-17-2011, 15:25
I have no input on this thread other than to say I like to see everyone write Roll Tide

wyleone
07-17-2011, 19:49
I have no input on this thread other than to say I like to see everyone write Roll Tide
RROOOOOLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!

Hehehehe:laugh:

awestberry
07-25-2011, 15:55
Thanks for the idea. I probably will try washing in (roll) Tide (roll) before I install my Whoopie slings. They should be here Tuesday-ish. I can't wait to get it together. :D

If ENO made a hammock in crimson and white, every doublewide within 150 miles of Tuscaloosa would have one tied between the redwood deck and the clothesline pole in the backyard....

Go Dawgs! 40 more days.

dkperdue
07-25-2011, 16:22
I forgot- Who beat them and ended up National Champs??
Oh yeah!
Auburn University!
War Eagle and all that stuff
DKPerdue
AU ' 82

wyleone
08-15-2011, 21:28
If ENO made a hammock in crimson and white, every doublewide within 150 miles of Tuscaloosa would have one tied between the redwood deck and the clothesline pole in the backyard....

Go Dawgs! 40 more days.

Mine is Dark red and silver ;)

Roll Tide.

BTW I just washed mine in (Roll) tide on the Delicate setting on the washer with no suspension attached. The washer just spins, it does not agitate. So the machine did a great job on all three hammocks that my son and I sweated up bad on our summer backpacking trip. They are soft and smell good again. Time to re treat with Permithrin.