PDA

View Full Version : Webbing question

Aleks
05-30-2011, 07:43
Hi!
I have had my DD for about half a year now, and been only using the webbing for hanging it....
Now, as you all know, the webbing consist of two ends, ment to be tied around the tree...my question is, is it possible to make a water knot at the hammock end, and use the other end with a siberian hitch?
Edit: Might be a bit fuzzy, but what i mean is to use the webbing as a single strain and not as a double.

Bubba
05-30-2011, 09:33
Don't see why it wouldn't work but I am unfamiliar how the webbing connects to the hammock. I have used water knots and siberian hitches on webbing before and they held fine. Nowadays I use what's popular around here (whoopie slings and webbing) because it is easy and light weight. Worth checking out IMO.

Ramblinrev
05-30-2011, 10:50
You might want to hang it low the first couple of times. Changing the configuration of a suspension can produce some unexpected results. If the webbing needs the double strand configuration to distribute the load correctly you could compromise it. I have no clue so proceed at your own risk. If you know the webbing is strong enough single then there should be no problem with your plan.

turnerminator
05-30-2011, 11:00
I used the siberian hitch with my DD travel on the stock webbing for ages til I swapped to whoopies. The stock webbing is strong enough if you arent too heavy, but I always used the webbing doubled to reduce stretch. The siberian/evenk works with doubled webbing too.

Aleks
05-31-2011, 05:17
I used the siberian hitch with my DD travel on the stock webbing for ages til I swapped to whoopies. The stock webbing is strong enough if you arent too heavy, but I always used the webbing doubled to reduce stretch. The siberian/evenk works with doubled webbing too.

Iīm about 70Kg so it isnīt that much :D great! then i can shorten the webbing to make it less bulky!

turnerminator
05-31-2011, 06:16
A friend spent a couple of nights in my DD with that exact setup and he's 70kg, you should be fine although keep an eye on the webbing to be on the safe side ;) If it starts to look ropey, replace it. Not worth an undignified landing.

Aleks
05-31-2011, 06:18
A friend spent a couple of nights in my DD with that exact setup and he's 70kg, you should be fine although keep an eye on the webbing to be on the safe side ;) If it starts to look ropey, replace it. Not worth an undignified landing.
Absolutely, thanks for all help!