PDA

View Full Version : __LazySlugTube__

flatline
06-01-2011, 14:02
i wanted a quick way to pack up my hammock and quilts, so i got my buddy @ Wilderness Logics to make a pair of big ole tubes for me to play with.
inside the "lazy slug" tube is:
1. my wbbb,
2. my old North Face yeti 40*sleeping bag,
3.-2 peak bags (2QZQ) a. stuffed with old NF synth camp boots & leather gloves... b. stuffed with a fleece hoodie and scarf.
4. my full length WL synth 25*UQ,
5 2QZQ uqp.
the slug tubes make it quick and easy to cram it all into my alice pack and hit the trail, in theory. ( haven't taken the tubes to the woods yet )
with all the synth insulation it's not a tiny package but it suits me fine. it doesn't take up as much space as individual stuff sacks and the load stays tight in the pack no matter how many things are crammed in there with it.
once in the pack i can cram heavy stuff into the internal "radio" pouch and about 6" more room on top of the tubes.

NewtonGT
06-01-2011, 14:05
pics or it didnt happen :D actually id love to see a video

lazy river road
06-01-2011, 14:23
pics or it didnt happen :D actually id love to see a video

+ 1 that sounds absolutely awesome vid. or it dident happen :laugh:

flatline
06-01-2011, 14:27
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=14253&c=3 are http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=14251&c=3 stills http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=14250&c=3 clicked off.
i don't have a video to show, sorry...

oldsoldier
06-01-2011, 14:44
I have entertained something similar. And, I think that the name "slug" fits the look to a T!!!

NewtonGT
06-01-2011, 15:00
looks nice. would like to see a comparison between packing seperately with stuff sacks and with the slug tubes. possible a video in the future? :D

KP
06-01-2011, 15:04
Interesting....almost looked like a person was in the slug as it was coming out of the pack. Yikes!

T-BACK
06-01-2011, 15:29
I used this set up on my thru-hike. It worked very well. Although it looks bulky, it still compresses very well in the bottom of a pack. The biggest advantage is set up time. Many days I would stop to eat supper and then hike on until or after dark. Once I had my hammock slung, I just peeled back the skins and was ready to take my bottle bath and turn in for the night. I guess for a few nights out it wouldn't be that big of a deal but for day after day hiking, you can't beat it.

Nice job Flatline. I think you will find they will do you proud!

flatline
06-01-2011, 15:31
i don't own a video camera, except a big shoulder cam that records on VHS tape, anyone wanna trade? my eos20d has video capability but i've never messed with it. i'll give it a try in the future.

bigfoot2
06-01-2011, 17:55
i wanted a quick way to pack up my hammock and quilts, so i got my buddy @ Wilderness Logics to make a pair of big ole tubes for me to play with.
inside the "lazy slug" tube is:
1. my wbbb,
2. my old North Face yeti 40*sleeping bag,
3.-2 peak bags (2QZQ) a. stuffed with old NF synth camp boots & leather gloves... b. stuffed with a fleece hoodie and scarf.
4. my full length WL synth 25*UQ,
5 2QZQ uqp.
the slug tubes make it quick and easy to cram it all into my alice pack and hit the trail, in theory. ( haven't taken the tubes to the woods yet )
with all the synth insulation it's not a tiny package but it suits me fine. it doesn't take up as much space as individual stuff sacks and the load stays tight in the pack no matter how many things are crammed in there with it.
once in the pack i can cram heavy stuff into the internal "radio" pouch and about 6" more room on top of the tubes.

Geez...if that had shoulder straps i think it would be called a "BACKPACK":D

BF:cool:

flatline
06-01-2011, 18:07
Geez...if that had shoulder straps i think it would be called a "BACKPACK":D

BF:cool:

i could wear it like a boa in cooler weather.

leeinmemphis
06-02-2011, 11:03
Great idea! Are you going to sell them? If so how much?

OutandBack
06-02-2011, 11:34
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=14253&c=3 are http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=14251&c=3 stills http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=14250&c=3 clicked off.
i don't have a video to show, sorry...

Great Idea. Thanks for posting up the picts.
How did you decide on the diameter of the tube?

I have wbbb, phoenix summer 3/4 UQ and WL 3S TQ
extra's I would stuff inside would be sleeping socks, gloves and stocking cap.

What diameter would you recommend?

thanks again

ShadowAlpha
06-02-2011, 11:54
Nice! Looks easy

reminds me I have to go unpack my pack from yesterday

flatline
06-02-2011, 12:22
Great idea! Are you going to sell them? If so how much?
Wilderness Logics (http://www.wildernesslogics.com/contactus.sc) made it for me. it was a prototype made to quench my curiosity. and the LazySlugTube is the outcome.
i really like how quick and easy it makes set-up and pack up, hence the name.
it doesn't compress things much, that's done when i cram it into my pack.

flatline
06-02-2011, 12:33
Great Idea. Thanks for posting up the picts.
How did you decide on the diameter of the tube?

I have wbbb, phoenix summer 3/4 UQ and WL 3S TQ
extra's I would stuff inside would be sleeping socks, gloves and stocking cap.

What diameter would you recommend?

thanks again

your stuff will easily fit.
its made from a sheet 48"x72" cut on a diag. laid flat the finished tube is 18" x 72" tapering to 11".
the dims. where just a lucky guess, collaborated with Marty at WL . i wanted it to slide on easily with out much fuss, that's the "lazy" in me.
the compression happens when i stuff it into my ALICE pack.

leeinmemphis
06-02-2011, 15:13
Wilderness Logics (http://www.wildernesslogics.com/contactus.sc) made it for me. it was a prototype made to quench my curiosity. and the LazySlugTube is the outcome.
i really like how quick and easy it makes set-up and pack up, hence the name.
it doesn't compress things much, that's done when i cram it into my pack.

Thanks! I just sent them an email.

flatline
06-02-2011, 16:43
you will be pleased with WL's (http://www.wildernesslogics.com/) quality and service. i just ordered a hammock from them (Night Owl) and i expect it monday. that will be my winter hanger. 11' of flatness and no bug net to impede the view.

NewtonGT
06-02-2011, 18:01
you gotta let us know how that thing hangs. ive been wondering

flatline
06-02-2011, 19:00
you gotta let us know how that thing hangs. ive been wondering

i promise, prob. no video but i will shoot some proof...

leeinmemphis
06-02-2011, 20:22
you will be pleased with WL's (http://www.wildernesslogics.com/) quality and service. i just ordered a hammock from them (Night Owl) and i expect it monday. that will be my winter hanger. 11' of flatness and no bug net to impede the view.

I sent them an email and it sounds like they will be available in a few weeks. That will be a great thing for me because I am primarily a motorcycle camper and usually putting up and breaking down each night while on a trip. This would speed that process up quite a bit.

flatline
06-02-2011, 20:38
they really make set up quick. you'll really like'm.
it takes me longer to wrap my huggers, tie a MS hitch and flop my WSs over the toggles than it does to deploy hammie, TQ and UQ.

NewtonGT
06-02-2011, 20:48
now I have to sit here and wait to catch a glimpse of the night owl :)

flatline
06-02-2011, 20:55
the Night Owl will be here monday.

ChrisH
06-02-2011, 23:31
Very interested in this...I will be watching this thread closely. Do you know if he's just making one size or if he's making one for down quilt users as well? There would be a lot of extra room if your quilts were down, correct? Thanks for posting, great idea!

Stovemandan
06-03-2011, 00:25
Interesting concept. Looks sluggish. soon you'll be adding pockets:D

flatline
06-03-2011, 06:11
Very interested in this...I will be watching this thread closely. Do you know if he's just making one size or if he's making one for down quilt users as well? There would be a lot of extra room if your quilts were down, correct? Thanks for posting, great idea!

i'll bet Marty will make whatever size you want. extra room is not bad up to a point. i don't use down so i'm so i'm not sure how much extra room there would be.
i wanted it to slide over everything easily. i don't want the LazySlugTube to put undue stress on the shock cord or move my UQ around much. the compression happens when it is jammed into my pack.

Shug
06-03-2011, 10:02
Perfecto name!!!!!!
ShugSlug

flatline
06-03-2011, 10:25
Perfecto name!!!!!!
ShugSlug
thanks Shug,
my wife called it the body bag then threatened to stuff me in there.

ChrisH
06-03-2011, 16:37
i'll bet Marty will make whatever size you want. extra room is not bad up to a point. i don't use down so i'm so i'm not sure how much extra room there would be.
i wanted it to slide over everything easily. i don't want the LazySlugTube to put undue stress on the shock cord or move my UQ around much. the compression happens when it is jammed into my pack.

Thanks a lot Flatline! I will be in contact with Marty when I'm ready to order.:D

flatline
06-03-2011, 18:48
you're welcome ChrisH, i guess having a unitized system is what the LST accomplishes.

jraffini
06-03-2011, 21:33
I could see these being nice also when the weather is nasty and you're spending time under the tarp. If you aren't in the hammock, this seems like it could really help keep things out of the way for maximum real estate under the tarp. Great idea!

flatline
06-04-2011, 17:39
I could see these being nice also when the weather is nasty and you're spending time under the tarp. If you aren't in the hammock, this seems like it could really help keep things out of the way for maximum real estate under the tarp. Great idea!

that is my hope as well. i carry an extra 35' of zing-it, for whatever, that i have wrapped around the slug to cinch it up into a tighter tube (it kinda looks like a mutant caterpillar). i can compress it to about half it's circumference with the zing-it. i can also suspend it from the tarp RL (under tarp) with 2 loops of line for a little more noggin room.

flatline
06-06-2011, 20:48
11 feet of flatness rules!

flatline
06-07-2011, 20:36
peace y'all

NewtonGT
06-07-2011, 21:12
peace y'all

hell yea :D

flatline
06-07-2011, 21:15
man, the Night Owl is so long that it makes my full length UQ look like a 3/4.

NewtonGT
06-07-2011, 21:18
man, the Night Owl is so long that it makes my full length UQ look like a 3/4.

haha lets get a full thread with a bunch of pics :D. I wish you had a video camera

flatline
06-07-2011, 21:21
i shot a bunch today, i'll try and get some stills on here tomorrow.

cataraftgirl
06-07-2011, 21:24
I think it should be named "The Anaconda." It looks like it's swallowing it's prey whole.

KJ

flatline
06-10-2011, 07:27
here's the LST swallowing my NO and UQ.

fully closed on same and then

w/ tightened whoopies for more under tarp room.

ChrisH
06-13-2011, 02:32
Looks great! :)

leeinmemphis
06-13-2011, 08:58
I just sent them another email asking if it is available yet. Man what a great idea!

flatline
06-13-2011, 10:19
i think they're making some final refinements, after doing some R&D, before production.
they really do make packing and set up a breeze.

flatline
06-24-2011, 21:16
went for a hang on mt mitchell last Sunday night. we where up a little over 6000 ft. the weather was cool and very windy 30-50 mph. we could see clouds headed for us so, i cinched up my crl really tightly (tarp flyz rule) and left my tarp suspended in it's sleeves.
i slung my straps and clipped'em, pulled the foot end of the lazy slug tube (http://www.wildernesslogics.com/THE-LAZY-SLUG-TUBE-Lazy-Slug.htm) out of my alice pack and whoopied it over the toggle. did the same to the head end and made a couple of adjustments and i was ready to go.
the slug held everything (uq, hammock, tq, synth. booties, fleece hoodie and scarf) at the ready. the wind made it swing some but, no parachute in the wind.
i got my wood gasser started, beside a pretty big rock, down wind of where the tarp would be. while the lil' fire was getting up to a full burn i opened the sleeves on my tarp and staked it out taunt and low. attached the shock cord to the pullouts.
by then it had started sprinkling, almost horizontally,so i put a pot of water on to cook and set some stakes for the doors and bb tie outs. tossed my pack under the tarp and set up my stool in there too.
the drizzle became rain before the water boiled but it was hot enough to make tea to go with my spam and lance crackers. now it's dark-ish and the gasser was out so i slid the slug tube open and a complete hammock set up fell into place, ready to hop in.
to make a long story longer, the lazy slug tube sure does make set up and take down a lot easier for me. but i'm a lazy slug myself.

Bubba
06-24-2011, 22:05
Just noticed it on the Wilderness Logics website and then this thread. I have been trying to find something like this for a few months. I tries some DD hammock sleeves but they were too small. I think I might have to pick one up as well as a bugnet. Thanks flatline.