PDA

View Full Version : HG down stuff helps make my moto kit work!

Law Dawg (ret)
06-07-2011, 13:02
I ride a BMW F800GS with Happy Trails Teton side cases and a tank bag. A few weeks ago I took out all my synthetic hammock insulation and WBBB for an overnighter shake down trip. Glad I did too...the synthetic stuff with a Kelty 12X12 left just enough room to add a stove, cook kit, and light food bag. Items that would be really needed for any trip over two days had to be left home.

The first thing I did was get a Shangri La (and Toxaway) tarp to replace the Kelty...it was a sale and HG had no tarps then.:D Then an Incubator UQ and a regular sized Burrow TQ. The Burrow was a smidge too narrow (don't ask, Mrs. LD loves the Burrow though:boggle:) and I ordered a custom wider/longer Burrow.

Today I am planning a ride to higher elevations and it is the first time to load the bike with the new kit. In goes the WBBB, Incubator, custom Burrow, and Shangri La with bungie and tree strap kit (and line with CRL justincase). Surprise, there is more than enough room for snack eats and cook kit...even room for a wool sweater/cap, ball cap, and down vest and more! The basic sleep kit modification reduced my load size by about 2/3 from what it was the last time. There will be some added luggage changes but overall this is a perfect two days to one week kit. The tank bag holds a camera (a DSLR that will shrink to a good point & shoot) with various and sundry other need it at hand stuff (like the harmonica;)).

Very pleased with the quality and comfort of my HG stuff and tonight (Lord willing and the creek don't rise) it will be in the Sierras somewhere getting the snooze test!:cool:

JaxHiker
06-07-2011, 14:16
Hope you have a blast man!

ganon414
06-07-2011, 14:20
Count me jealous on many fronts. :cool: Have a great trip and put that DSLR to work please!

--Tim

peanuts
06-07-2011, 16:17
pix or it didn't happened!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Law Dawg (ret)
06-08-2011, 14:24
Hope you have a blast man!

Yeah buddy...there were several WHOOOO BUDDIES emitted this morning!

Count me jealous on many fronts. :cool: Have a great trip and put that DSLR to work please!

--Tim

I took a few shots but just got in a few minutes ago and have not uploaded them yet. I spent the night in Upper Peppermint a stones throw from the creek. The elevation is around 7200 ft and there is still snow on the ground...perfect conditions to test the Incubator and Burrow! It was around 30 degrees this morning (bike computer and spit ball guestimate) and the HG insulation held fine. Should have brought the Toxaway to close up and block the wind more. I will add that if you are a full figured fella go wider on all insulation. The Burrow is wide/long but the Incubator is stock and four more inches would have been nice...not horribly needed but nice. Note a regular Burrow and Incubator would work well enough but I want deluxe because I am worth it (not). ;)

Law Dawg (ret)
06-08-2011, 19:53
pix or it didn't happened!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well alrightie then! If you look close you will see patches of snow remaining.

MuseJr
06-08-2011, 21:54
Nice looking setup!!! Incubator you say??? I might have to look in to one of those for fall or winter.
I really miss those big trees. What size tree straps do you carry? (just curious)

JayS
06-08-2011, 22:15
Gorgeous area and nice setup! Lucky you. Thanks for sharing.

By the way, it was in the mid 90s her today and HUMID! Getting down all the way to 70* tonight... no snow here.

ShadowAlpha
06-08-2011, 22:28
Looks like a good trip!

and no doubt you were toasty warm in all the fluffy down :)

those are some big trees!
thx for sharing the pics

Shug
06-09-2011, 09:11
Whoooo Buddy to you and all that extra room on the Moto-Bike!
Shug

Law Dawg (ret)
06-09-2011, 10:31
Nice looking setup!!! Incubator you say??? I might have to look in to one of those for fall or winter.
I really miss those big trees. What size tree straps do you carry? (just curious)

Thanks, them Crows do good work! I wear a size 50L dress coat so the regular Incubator just fits...not alot of wiggle room left. If you are a normal (non mutant) sized human a stock Incubator would work wonders.

Trees; in the first pic the tree right in line with my front tire is a baby Redwood (not kidding). Most in this area are Ponderosa pines and they get big too. Not too far down the road (shown in the last pic) are a grove of adult Redwoods (Trail of 100 Giants) that would take at least 40' straps. I use the WB Adjustable Webbing and seek smaller trees. ;)

Looks like a good trip!
and no doubt you were toasty warm in all the fluffy down :)

those are some big trees!
thx for sharing the pics

It is a blessing to live in an area where there is work (sorta these days) and almost any eco system you want is within two hours ride. Lest it seem like I am complaining about the Incubator size, it was toasty warm down goodness and functioned very well. I am beginning the process of convincing that a wider Incubator is needed. :)

Whoooo Buddy to you and all that extra room on the Moto-Bike!
Shug

WHOOO BUDDY indeed! Had the HF Yodel just escape before I knew it in the morning. The sun was shining through and between fast moving clouds and the aroma of the piney (and Redwoody) woods mingled with pine firewood, from the only other occupied camp site there, was intoxicating. The creek was way high and seranading me all night with Stellar Jays in the trees above me. Had a big mug of breakfast tea, with original beef jerky, dried cherries, and granola bars from the hammock. If there ever was a time to shout WHOOO BUDDY, that was it! The area I planned to check out on this ride required snowmobiles to get to so my Moto-Bike just wasn't gong to cut it. This area (along the Western Divide Hwy) has considerable snow left on North faces but just patches on S/E & S/W areas. Cold BTW, it was cold enough to cause my high tech LEO LED Lithium flashlight to not work until putting it under the UQ.

peanuts
06-09-2011, 10:47
awesome pix law dawg....great set up and a beautiful place!! thx

Law Dawg (ret)
06-09-2011, 12:10
By the way, it was in the mid 90s her today and HUMID! Getting down all the way to 70* tonight... no snow here.

The weather this year is just nutso. I'll take low humidity and cool/cold in June any day over what you have though.

ShadowAlpha
06-09-2011, 12:21
I am beginning the process of convincing that a wider Incubator is needed.

Of course a bigger Incubator is needed. you dont want to take the risk of a sudden drop in temps! :scared:

:cool:

Law Dawg (ret)
06-09-2011, 12:34
Of course a bigger Incubator is needed. you dont want to take the risk of a sudden drop in temps! :scared:

:cool:

I like the way you think :thumbup1: plus my Judy really deserves some HG UQ downy goodness to compliment her downy goodness HG TQ. :D

Law Dawg (ret)
06-09-2011, 16:17
awesome pix law dawg....great set up and a beautiful place!! thx

Thanks...even if a bit out of focus. I did a search of the Trail of 100 Giants and found a video It shows the Redwood grove just South of camp up and then gives a taste of the road I arrived on (reverse order though). Enjoy!

bjhstc2TkkU&feature

cataraftgirl
06-09-2011, 23:26
Glad you stayed warm in your "almost right" sized Incubator. I sure was toasty in mine last weekend at 30 degrees. My river buddy thought I was nuts for not bringing my tent, but he was the one who had to get up in the middle of the night to put on more clothes. Being wrapped in downey goodness was awesome.
I agree that Mrs. Law Dawg needs that "almost right" Incubator for herself. After all, she's needs a matching set with her Burrow.
KJ

Law Dawg (ret)
06-10-2011, 00:41
Glad you stayed warm in your "almost right" sized Incubator. KJ

If I had the Toxaway tarp to lower more on the wind side the cold would not have even been noticed (really was very cozy anyway). Cold, meaning not really cold enough to do anything extra about it. Cotton sox and long sleeve t-shirt with light poly thermal bottoms and a Merino wool watch cap was the attire. The regular Incubator will probably take me to at least 20 degrees with a tarp wind block. Well below the temps I expect to camp in. Prolly will just keep the regular unless Judy claims it too...then come on custom, just because!:D