PDA

View Full Version : __night owl__

flatline
06-08-2011, 20:39
i have been doing research for about a month, trying to decide which hammock to buy for my winter hangs.
while reading some diy threads i learned that longer is flatter, so while i was checking all the mfg sites i found
the Night Owl from Wilderness Logics. 11'x58" dl1.5 ripstop 350# limit and a cool draw cord at the head and
foot that emulates a foot box.
that's what i would have tried to make for myself if i had the equipment so i ordered one, and it arrived mon.
i hastily strapped it between the two closest trees and checked it out.. the 6' huggers and whoopies that came
with are very well made. i looped it over my toggles and slowly climbed in (i'm used to a hammock with tie-outs)
fortunately i didn't flip out onto my head. i cinched up the the draw cords for the foot and head and i was amazed
how flat i could get. without tie-outs on the side i was able to sway more freely, which i really enjoyed. i layed there
for 45ish minutes before i made myself get up. i left the the draw cords cinched when i got out of the Night Owl which
made the sides taller and more like what i'm accustomed to seeing with my other hammock.
i flipped it over to empty some grass clippings that had fallen off my socks and that reversed the lay to a "feet left" rather
than my usual "feet right" so i had to try that out too. (pretty cool)
before i packed it up i loosened one of the draw cords and it made a really comfortable lounge chair.
last i hung my UQ to see how it fit on the longer hammock and it was a perfect fit.
i think i'm gonna have WL make me a bug net so i can use it this summer too.
A+ quality, excellent service, made in the USA... i'm hooked!

jraffini
06-08-2011, 20:43
Now that's cool!! I never thought of simulating a foot box with draw cord. These guys just keep knocking it out of the park! When I bought my big daddy tarp a couple of months ago, Marty mentioned that they might be opening a store front for retail sales later this year. If so, I'm going to make a trip up because they entire line is awesome from top to bottom. Thanks for posting!!

NewtonGT
06-08-2011, 20:43
Man Ive been waiting for this one :D
It does look like you get really flat with it. very impressed I am :D
Marty does good work!

flatline
06-08-2011, 20:52
Now that's cool!! I never thought of simulating a foot box with draw cord. These guys just keep knocking it out of the park! When I bought my big daddy tarp a couple of months ago, Marty mentioned that they might be opening a store front for retail sales later this year. If so, I'm going to make a trip up because they entire line is awesome from top to bottom. Thanks for posting!!

i think Marty is still working toward that goal. he already has the space. he was talking about having a place to hang inside, for test naps:lol:

flatline
06-08-2011, 20:53
Man Ive been waiting for this one :D
It does look like you get really flat with it. very impressed I am :D
Marty does good work!

flatter than the bird:)

NewtonGT
06-08-2011, 21:08
man the more I look the more I like

flatline
06-08-2011, 21:39
the slug swallowing the owl

Backtrack
06-09-2011, 10:21
Nice pics! I love the Night Owl and its freedom. Several of us in our backpacking group use the Night Owl. I also have a bird and find myself hanging with the owl more. Something about being able to see out around me is the best part. Have fun with that great set up you have! We might have to talk Marty into doing a hang with us this summer....

flatline
06-09-2011, 11:19
that's a great idea, is there a cool shady spot we could convince him into? :cool:
i'm sure he would bring a couple dozen of Granny's donuts! :boggle:
let's do it.
__bob__

Backtrack
06-09-2011, 11:39
Oh yeah! Im sure we could find somewhere shady... How do you like those Grannys donuts? Im hooked on their fritters....

NewtonGT
06-09-2011, 14:01
wow wow wow. whats this I hear about donuts?

flatline
06-09-2011, 16:30
Oh yeah! Im sure we could find somewhere shady... How do you like those Grannys donuts? Im hooked on their fritters....

the apple fritters rule! they'er why i need a dl hammock.:lol: infact bbq shack and granny's are convienantly too close together if you know what i'm saying.

N'GT if you come up when WL opens his store, we'll hook you up!:shades:

NewtonGT
06-09-2011, 16:38
the apple fritters rule! they'er why i need a dl hammock.:lol: infact bbq shack and granny's are convienantly too close together if you know what i'm saying.

N'GT if you come up when WL opens his store, we'll hook you up!:shades:

I just might take you up on that haha. Its a little drive for me but I could justify if if I was going for a trip or something. Ive wanted to check out the gorge up there too but Ive heard thats hell in the summer.

flatline
06-09-2011, 19:05
the hugger stitching is great.

flatline
06-26-2011, 22:07
i added a SRL to my Night Owl today 110 inches and really flat.
i like this hammock!

Steve D
06-26-2011, 22:47
May have to put an Owl on my 'someday' list...I like my ENO DN but I'm quickly becoming a fan of most anything WL...

NewtonGT
06-26-2011, 22:51
May have to put an Owl on my 'someday' list...I like my ENO DN but I'm quickly becoming a fan of most anything WL...

thats what im talking about

flatline
06-26-2011, 22:52

i heard that brother:D

Southernfan6885
06-27-2011, 18:18

I'm right there with you. Their gear looks sweet!

flatline
06-27-2011, 18:41
it really is good stuff.
i have a WL Night Owl hammock, full length synth UQ, Tad Pole tarp, BugNet and the Lazy Slug Tube.
i'll be ordering a synth King sized TQ soon. and maybe an Old Man Winter and another custom proj.

NewtonGT
06-27-2011, 18:59
it really is good stuff.
i have a WL Night Owl hammock, full length synth UQ, Tad Pole tarp, BugNet and the Lazy Slug Tube.
i'll be ordering a synth King sized TQ soon. and maybe an Old Man Winter and another custom proj.

yea your definently the man to talk to about WL :D and oooooo did I hear synth top quilt???!

flatline
06-27-2011, 20:00
yeah i like the synth. the fill they use at WL is virgin, not chopped or re cycled and it makes for a very lofty, luxury quilt. WL adds a removable fleece "bib" to help manage breath condensation, really cool. might have to go for a custom color.
maybe deep purple?

NewtonGT
06-28-2011, 03:39
yeah i like the synth. the fill they use at WL is virgin, not chopped or re cycled and it makes for a very lofty, luxury quilt. WL adds a removable fleece "bib" to help manage breath condensation, really cool. might have to go for a custom color.
maybe deep purple?

hmmmm thats interesting. But my only problem is the weight. I just couldnt spend the money unless it weighed less than the 15 degree bag I bought last year. Im just cheap man :( Ive been eyeing the down TQ but im afraid of my SC humidity

flatline
06-28-2011, 12:12
goose down quilts are available!

NewtonGT
06-29-2011, 19:36
goose down quilts are available!

how much you think they would do for a full length down?

flatline
06-30-2011, 04:22
i d k send them an email? (http://www.wildernesslogics.com/contactus.sc)

pellet gun
06-30-2011, 08:22
very cool, I'm liking their stuff! I'm kinda looking for my 1st UQ and their prices are nice. Thanks for posting!

flatline
07-18-2011, 20:16
my custom 11' tan TadPole covering my NightOwl in the BugNet.
very comfortable rig. :D

NewtonGT
07-19-2011, 16:11
my custom 11' tan TadPole covering my NightOwl in the BugNet.
very comfortable rig. :D

uh oh martys cookin up more good stuff? haha

Two Tents
07-31-2011, 14:21
Wilderness logics Night Owl is my new favorite hammock. I got a really flat lay. I could see good and felt a good breeze with the way it is open. I'll add a bug net from WL later. It doesn't need anything done different that I can see from 2 nights and a nap. That adjustable foot box/ head box that thing is way cool. Great craftsmanship and innovation. I like it!

flatline
07-31-2011, 14:30
Wilderness logics Night Owl is my new favorite hammock. I got a really flat lay. I could see good and felt a good breeze with the way it is open. I'll add a bug net from WL later. It doesn't need anything done different that I can see from 2 nights and a nap. That adjustable foot box/ head box that thing is way cool. Great craftsmanship and innovation. I like it!

congratulations!
i told you so:D
Wilderness Logics (http://www.wildernesslogics.com/Night-Owl-Night-Owl.htm) really has it going on.
the Night Owl is deluxe accommodations.
happy hangin' brother.:)

i almost forgot: need pix!

joggerjohn
08-06-2011, 20:10
The Night Owl with draw strings is as comfortable the the Blackbird. :boggle::boggle:

flatline
08-06-2011, 21:17
i wholly concur!
my BB has Night Owl envy:cool: