PDA

View Full Version : New Switchback Impressions

Miguel
06-16-2011, 06:29
My new 1.1 Dbl Classic Switchback arrived yesterday. I ordered it last Friday...shipped on Monday...arrived on Weds.....great service. My first impression out of the box was it's lightness and size. I haven't officially weighed it yet but it was just a tad heavier than my WBBB1.0 and just a tad larger. Great first impression!

I ordered the straps and rings and already had a set of Dutch Clips. (love those Dutch clips) Set-up was a breeze....zero fiddle factor. Mac's IX UQ fit like a glove.

I won't go into great detail with descriptions or pics but there were a few things I particularly liked and/or changed. I liked the location of the hammock side tie-outs....they facilitated a diagonal lie and did not interfere with the netting or exit/entry into the hammock.

LOVE the dual zippers! Both smooth as silk.

Loved the two mesh pockets which are large enough to actually hold some gear. The two interior end loops are really handy....I hung a large roll up gear bag from the foot end and it did not interfere at all. I will probably suspend my pillow from the head end to prevent it from sliding down. (can't wait for that!)

I was pleased to see that it's not even necessary to use spreader bars with the netting but when you do it seems cavernous inside. I just used a branch which was in the yard and it worked fine....no need for a fancy arrow spreader bar. I probably won't even use one. The netting is suspended first by a bungee then by a static line which ties off to the tree/biner etc. I removed the static line and attached a #0 Nite Ize biner directly to the bungee. I then hooked that to the tarp....very simple and clean.

One thing I wasn't too crazy about (the only thing actually) were the ribbons used to secure the netting to the non-strucural ridgeline when it's rolled up. I used a couple of six inch velcro tie down straps which I will leave right on the ridgeline. They weigh nothing and are simple to use. I may later switch over to the bungee system I read about somewhere here. The non structural ridgeline hold up the netting well and could probably be used to hang a small light....nothing too heavy.

I can't say enough about the comfort. The extra width and length was perfect for me at 6'2". No lumps...bumps..or dreaded knee lock. Just a sweet diagonal right from the gitgo. The view was unobstructed.

I had planned on using my Maccat Deluxe tarp. I could probably get away with it but coverage was minimal. Fortunately I had just bought my wife a Syl Hennessy Rainfly at Trail Days. It has a 144" centerline which is more than adequate for the Switchback. My wife is now the proud owner of the Maccat which fits nicely with her inherited WBBB.

In sum....I am 100% satisfied with my new switchback and the service I received from Dale at Tree to Tree Trail Gear. He took the time to answer questions before the sale and mailed it quickly. I highly endorse the Switchback with no reservations.

See attached pic as proof that it happened.:D

Miguel

Dutch
06-16-2011, 07:40
Dale is making one darn good hammock there. An with the ix UQ and teh OES tarp you are stylin'.

Miguel
06-16-2011, 08:01
Dale is making one darn good hammock there. An with the ix UQ and teh OES tarp you are stylin'.

Actually, that's a Hennessy Tarp which sports a 144 centerline. The OES Deluxe was borderline too short IMHO. In a blowing rain I fear I might get wet. My wife took the Deluxe for her WBBB and I'm using the Henny which is more than adequte.

I agree with your comment about the hammock. Out of the five that I own, it's hands down my favorite.

And speaking of darn good gear....I am Loving my Dutch Clips!

dragon360
06-16-2011, 08:39
Ya. I really like mine and Dale was great to deal with.

OutandBack
06-16-2011, 08:44
Hi Miguel,
Enjoyed your review. Pros and Cons you listed was exactly how I felt playing with my 1.9 single layer SB.
It's a great well built hammock.

JaxHiker
06-16-2011, 08:47
One thing I wasn't too crazy about (the only thing actually) were the ribbons used to secure the netting to the non-strucural ridgeline when it's rolled up. I used a couple of six inch velcro tie down straps which I will leave right on the ridgeline. They weigh nothing and are simple to use. I may later switch over to the bungee system I read about somewhere here. The non structural ridgeline hold up the netting well and could probably be used to hang a small light....nothing too heavy.
I picked up some 3/32 (heck, it might even be 1/16) stretch cord and micro cord locks. Works very well.

Darby
06-16-2011, 09:02
Thanks for the kind words. About the net ties, if you use a surgical knot (http://www.animatedknots.com/reef/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com) to tie the net(delete the top overhand knot), the ties hold fine and are easy to tie/untie.

Cheers, Dale

brushybill
06-16-2011, 19:29
hey miguel
congrats on your new sb, like you, i own several hammocks, but i think it will be some time before something comes along that can top my sb for comfort, at least i sure hope so

Shug
06-16-2011, 20:01
Good stuff....yet the meet a SB in person. I live a sheltered existence.
Shug

HWS
06-16-2011, 20:15
Miguel.

Nice reveiw and Pic too. Looks like your Mac's IX UQ does fit like a glove. Congrats on your new purchase and Happy Trails...

Miguel
06-16-2011, 20:17
Shug

Shug...you keep saying that about the Switchback. Maybe it's time to pull the proverbial trigger.:D Just sayin'

Miguel

Shug
06-16-2011, 20:26
Shug...you keep saying that about the Switchback. Maybe it's time to pull the proverbial trigger.:D Just sayin'

Miguel
.....I....know. I do have three operational hammocks and am tentative to add to my stable.
Gotta see one ....gotta.

Darby
06-16-2011, 20:30
Hey Shug,

If you can make the fall hang at the gorge, I will bring one for you to try.

Shug
06-16-2011, 20:38
Hey Shug,

If you can make the fall hang at the gorge, I will bring one for you to try.
I sure do hope that I can!!!!!!
Be nice to meet you.
Shug

L.D. Cakes
06-16-2011, 20:44
I got in one at the Hot Springs Hang and I really liked it. I like how you don't have to be dedicated to lay one way in it and the view was unobstructed. I have a friend who is looking for a hammock with a flat lay but he is 6'5" and weighs 300 lbs. The JRB Bridge is too short. Would he fit in the SB?

^shane^
06-17-2011, 06:33
I got in one at the Hot Springs Hang and I really liked it. I like how you don't have to be dedicated to lay one way in it and the view was unobstructed. I have a friend who is looking for a hammock with a flat lay but he is 6'5" and weighs 300 lbs. The JRB Bridge is too short. Would he fit in the SB?

I'm 6' and fit nicely in the Light Hiker. The Light Hiker is 8" shorter than the original SwitchBack. So I'd guess he would fit fine in the original SwitchBack. Probably want to go with the 1.9 double layer for his weight.

Shug, don't get in it unless you want to buy it.:D

Miguel
06-17-2011, 09:03

I'm 6'2" and have plenty of room to spare in the Classic. I can't imagine three more inches would make much difference. Of course, at his weight he'd have to go with a heavier frabric.

Miguel

JaxHiker
06-17-2011, 09:12
I got in one at the Hot Springs Hang and I really liked it. I like how you don't have to be dedicated to lay one way in it and the view was unobstructed.
And who can forget the number of converts produced at the First Annual Florida Hang?

MAD777
06-17-2011, 13:45
And who can forget the number of converts produced at the First Annual Florida Hang?

here, here! :cool:

Darby
06-18-2011, 12:45
I sure do hope that I can!!!!!!
Be nice to meet you.
Shug

Looking forward to it Shug.

OutandBack
06-18-2011, 13:06
Morning coffee (shug style) after a great night sleep in my SB 1.9 single.
It really is a great hammock and I own many others to compare it to.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=1136&pictureid=8134

Miguel, looking forward to your first trip report with the new gear. I hope you'll take lots of picts.

GrizzlyHackle
06-18-2011, 19:56
ldcakes, the Hot Springs hang became an expensive trip for me. I first bought a LHBR but I also climbed into the SB. I think Darby invites you in to try his hammock with the same idea as the drug pusher giving you the first try for free. Once you try it you are hooked. Well I resisted at first but eventually I gave in. Got mine a couple of weeks ago and have not had time for an overnighter yet but have put it up for several day hangs. Man is it nice. Hopefully I will get out soon to try it overnight. I know I am going to love it.

BillyBob58
06-18-2011, 20:50
Have not heard a whole bunch about this brand of hammock---- YET. So, sounds like there is a new contender - maybe - for most comfortable hammock? I have never even seen one of these yet. Maybe I will get to try one out at a hang in the near future. Because if there is one thing I need, it is a new hammock! ;)

There are several different models, I wonder what their pros and cons are, especially in regard to comfort?

Miguel
06-19-2011, 17:01
I just returned from my first overnight with my new SB. My wife (AKA She Who Must Be Obeyed)was so jealous she made me promise to order her a Light Hiker first thing Monday morning.

Miguel

MAD777
06-19-2011, 17:20
The trick is NOT to let your wife try the hammock, :lol: :lol:

Miguel
06-19-2011, 19:29
The trick is NOT to let your wife try the hammock, :lol: :lol:

Now you tell me. :(

Trust me it's money well spent. If the Hammock Princess is happy...everyone is happy.:D

Miguel

JaxHiker
06-19-2011, 20:04
If the Hammock Princess is happy...everyone is happy.:D

Miguel
Truer words have never been spoken.

Boomer
06-20-2011, 17:59
I thought that Tree to Tree was Speer Hammocks? Or are they a separate company and Speer doesn't do business anymore?

What's the extra $10 for between the 1.7 double layer and the 1.1 DL Light Hiker?

jlink
06-20-2011, 21:24
I thought that Tree to Tree was Speer Hammocks? Or are they a separate company and Speer doesn't do business anymore?

What's the extra $10 for between the 1.7 double layer and the 1.1 DL Light Hiker?

I believe it is because the 1.1 fabric actually costs more than the 1.7.

MAD777
06-21-2011, 11:48

That pays for the helium between the layers :lol:

Darby
06-28-2011, 07:22
I believe it is because the 1.1 fabric actually costs more than the 1.7.

That is correct

Darby
06-28-2011, 07:27
That pays for the helium between the layers :lol:

ssshhh, our "floating with the clouds" technology is proprietary.:lol:

MacEntyre
06-28-2011, 07:47
Shug
I had a netless SB when we all hung in the Gorge at the 100 year old camp site.

I hung in Hetairoi's netless SB at Trail Days. A sudden downpour caught me, TZ and John under John's tarp. TZ and John sat on the ground, and I tried the SB. I was fast asleep in minutes!

^shane^
06-28-2011, 09:12
Netless SwitchBack? I want one.

edit 6/29/11: A netless SB isn't listed on the TtTTG site, but if/when it is, I'll hit the "add to cart" button... hint... hint...

L.D. Cakes
06-29-2011, 01:02
Netless!?! That's what I've been waiting for! I want one too!

G.L.P.
06-30-2011, 20:03
My next 2 hammocks is another Bridge and a Switchback...
been wanting a Switchback for some time now... i just need to save up and pull the trigger... :D