PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered this from ukhammocks.com

Stavros
06-17-2011, 15:47
Iīm probably a little bit off season when I order winter gear in the beginning of the summer but up here where I live summer is so short that this winter gear will soon come in handy.

Ordered this:
http://www.utsidan.se/obj/photo/4a/4af024a915197fbfbbabd6e1d70e13d6.jpg
Itīs a winter full underquilt

And this:
http://www.utsidan.se/obj/photo/a9/a91592f4b5ff5af5a03055e08a3c912d.jpg
Itīs a winter topquilt

I stole those pictures from ukhammocks.com but I think they have appeared on this forum once before. Am I right about that?

Well, well now I have about 2 weeks of waiting before I can touch my new gear. What will I do when I wait? Hmm, tomorrow Iīll go hiking with my family. No hammocks this time, we will have the luxury of sleeping inside a cabin this time. Could be fun trying that for a change.

Dutch
06-17-2011, 15:49
I recognize the heels.

lab72
06-17-2011, 15:51
Yeh I do as as well !!

Bomber
06-17-2011, 15:54
Looking sweet Peter! Also looking forward to the review;)

+1 on the winter gear here up north, on our hang last weekend, 3 out of 4 was using wintergear!

ChrisH
06-17-2011, 16:30
Congrats, you're sure to warm and comfy in that set-up!

NewtonGT
06-17-2011, 18:13
nice set up sir

bigfoot2
06-17-2011, 20:51
Mat at UK Hammocks is the best:cool: You'll love it:boggle:

BF:cool:

Stavros
06-17-2011, 23:26
Looking sweet Peter! Also looking forward to the review;)

+1 on the winter gear here up north, on our hang last weekend, 3 out of 4 was using wintergear!

Yeah, I realized that at our hang to.
2 out of 4 had wintergear.
I had a summer sleeping bag:(

Stavros
06-17-2011, 23:36
nice set up sir
Thank you!
I hope it will look like this when Iīve set it up too!

moski
06-18-2011, 02:53
Yeah, I realized that at our hang to.
2 out of 4 had wintergear.
I had a summer sleeping bag:(

Did i have winter gear ?

:D

Stavros
06-18-2011, 03:11
Did i have winter gear ?

Winter Yeti?

moski
06-18-2011, 04:39
Winter Yeti?

Yepp!
I did have the Winter Yeti :D

Stavros
06-21-2011, 11:58
My items have been shipped!:lol:

I want get them before this weekend so I have to wait until next weekend to try them out. But itīs probably worth waiting for.....:)

Simon
06-21-2011, 12:38
Let us know what you think when you get them :)

Stavros
06-21-2011, 12:43
Let us know what you think when you get them :)

Of course!
I will try to write about my first impressions and then after I have used them for a couple of nights. I think there will be plenty of hammocknght in the near future.:)

Shewie
06-21-2011, 13:11
Nice top quilt :)

But leave my shoe choice out of it will ya ;)

Bomber
06-21-2011, 15:26

Good one Rich:lol:

I thought it was optimal canoe foot wear;)

Stavros
06-22-2011, 05:43
Nice top quilt :)

Will certainly do so!:)

Stavros
06-24-2011, 14:12
"Your item, posted on 21/06/11 has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in SWEDEN."

Soon I will get 'em!

Simon
06-24-2011, 14:29
:shades::thumbup::thumbup:

Stavros
06-27-2011, 15:25
So then, 2 packages has arrived:

http://www.utsidan.se/obj/photo/6f/6f503b57f660adc6ecd147fa4528bfc1.jpg

Packages opened (no sharp objects involved) and out of the package two very well done objects comes out.

First of all I must say that I donīt know much about down gear. I havenīt really watched other down gear up close except for my 20 yrs old winter sleeping bag.

BUT I must say that these items looks VERY good. VERY!

I have put the quilts out on the kitchen floor and I am watching them GROW. The loft is getting bigger and bigger as I wright these words.

I will not take any pictures of the quilts when they are on the floor, there are already nice pictures of ukhammocks quilts on HF. But I can TELL you about them instead!

They look really nice......:D

I have looked em through for any defects but the only small things I found was 3 threads that werenīt cut properly. The threads are about 5-6cm long and I canīt actually call it a defect. Itīs just those things that happen. As the threads are in the same dark color as the fabric they are very hard to detect.

Otherwise it seems like a very very nice job. I would never in my hole life be able to do something that got even close to this no matter how hard I tried.

I will try them out properly as soon as I get some time to actually sleep outside. Donīt know when, maybe Iīll get an oppurtunity saturday. But itīs ages until then, maybe Iīll give it a try during the week even though Iīll have to get up early to get to work. Iīll give it a thought anyway.

One small thing that bothers me about this quilts is that they didnīt come with a bag to put them in. I never gave it a thought when I ordered them so it was probably obvious that there wouldnīt be any bags but it never occured to me when I ordered them.

This is not a big problem since I have plenty of bags and are capable of doing some new if itīs necessary. But anyway? Well well, thatīs not a big deal, Iīll live through that!

What I need to learn about these downgear is to make the loft work properly. I realize that itīs up to me to move the down around in the channels to make it work properly. Since I never done anything like that I understand that I will have a period of learning how to use these quilts properly. A topquilt is probably easy since I have it on me and can SEE how it works but the underquilt probably needs more tweaking before I get it to work perfectly.

But isnīt the tweaking-thing what makes hammocking so wonderful?

Iīll be back with more pictures when I have set it all up.
Hopefully before saturday.:lol:

Stavros
06-27-2011, 15:48
I did some weighing on these quilts and some packing.

The underquilt is weighing 732 gram (25,82 ounce) and the topquilt is weighing 703 gram (24,8 ounce).

They easily fit in my favourite packing bags that have a packed size of 30cm (11,8") long with a diameter of 15cm (5,9"). That means that I can fit both of them standing on the bottom of my GoLite Jam. Thatīs great! If I wish I can compress those bags to get more space in my backpack.

I just hope they work as well in the field as they do in my backpack.:lol:
(Of course they will!)

Simon
06-27-2011, 16:14
Thanks for the update. Good to hear you are impressed. Weird that no stuff sack included, I would have thought that would have would have come as standard with this kind of product. It would be good to see some pics of the setup when you get it assembled.

TinaLouise
06-29-2011, 07:37
the only kind of "stuff sack" that I ever put my down quilts into are huge ones for storage. My huge winter down UQ is sometimes put into a compression stuff sack if I'm car camping. And then only until I'm at the camp and then I get it out of that sack as quick as possible. If I'm backpacking, my quilts are just pushed inside my backpack around my hammock to fill up any of the unused spaces that happen in a backpack. You can't do this if you've got your quilt inside a stuff sack.

TinaLouise

craftsnicaragua
07-10-2011, 07:41
that looks great :)