PDA

View Full Version : Claytor Tarp Maintenance

Yosef
06-22-2011, 14:54
Just out of curiosity what do you all do for your general tarp maintenance? Do you seem seal or use some of the waterproofing agents after a few seasons?

Beast 71
06-22-2011, 17:36
I've done nothing, other than making sure it's bone dry before putting it away. I've used mine alot and it's never let me down.

canoebie
06-22-2011, 20:08
I don't seam seal. I use a spray silicone waterproofing agent and get it real close to the seams and saturate it. I think seam sealer is messy and not particularly effective. I have done this with tents and tarps very successfully.

I do treat my claytor diamond tarp every other year with the spray waterproofing. I usually buy up some in late fall when it is at deep discount in dept. stores.

May not be necessary, but gives me peace of mind.

Yosef
06-23-2011, 08:50
I don't seam seal. I use a spray silicone waterproofing agent and get it real close to the seams and saturate it. I think seam sealer is messy and not particularly effective. I have done this with tents and tarps very successfully.

I do treat my claytor diamond tarp every other year with the spray waterproofing. I usually buy up some in late fall when it is at deep discount in dept. stores.

May not be necessary, but gives me peace of mind.

Ive been thinking of doing the same thing, it doesn't bead water quite like it used to. Any particular brand you have found more or less effective? Do you spray both sides as well?

canoebie
06-23-2011, 09:00
Being the cheap guy I am, I get what is on sale. I just sleep better knowing that I will be dry no matter how hard it rains. When I am warm, dry, and it is pouring rain, I sleep longer because I know there is no place I would rather be than where I am. I spray one side lightly and then spray it again lightly. I think lighter applications and multiple applications are more effective than saturating the material.