PDA

View Full Version : How much MacCat Tarp is enough?

Egads
12-17-2006, 16:34
I've been waiting to order a MacCat Tarp, and Brian will have them back on the market in January.

How much tarp do I need for a HH BPUL?

Is the micro tarp for 3 seasons only, or is it deep enough to provide full protection of underquilts & block the wind in winter? Or do I need a regular size for winter?

Or maybe both?:rolleyes:

Egads

Peter_pan
12-17-2006, 17:44
Recommend the regular size.... Mother nature can get real mean and ugly anytime...having good basic coverage makes sense...couple oz is worth it here... just my $0.02.

Pan

Coffee
12-17-2006, 22:47
I have the deluxe and love the coverage. If you do not mind a couple more oz or dollars I recommend this one. I was looking at the micro size a while back, when I looked at the dimension on a tape measure it is smaller than I thought.

jlb2012
12-18-2006, 08:51
I have the Titan with an Explorer Deluxe HH - gives me what I want - the ability to hang gear from the hammock support ropes and still have it out of the rain - also great for having a few people sit under while raining.

txulrich
12-18-2006, 09:47
I have the DeLuxe That I use with my HH Explorer. It leaves about 18" of tarp on either end. Plenty of tarp for me to not worry about the weather.

Certain
12-18-2006, 15:09
Hi Egads,

I have far less experience than some people here, but I think it's a good idea to consider the conditions you expect to go through and how long you might be in those conditions. If I were still living in Hawaii...I'd say give me the smallest piece of material that still counted as a tarp. But, I'm hiking the AT next year and know I'll be experiencing wind/rain/storms/snow/COLD, so I wanted to have as much coverage as possible. I've got the MacCat Deluxe too, and am extremely pleased with it. If it's nice out...I just unhook one side and flip it over and then I can see the stars. I have a HH ULBA by the way. Good luck and have fun shopping!

Brian
12-19-2006, 09:44
Egads, just a little interlude:

The micro was definately designed for 3 season use, and it provides better protection (mainly on the ends) than the stock HH tarp, but overall, the width is not that much greater than the tarp that comes with the hammock, due the width of the fabric constraining that dimension. With an underquilt, or prolonged cold, wet, windy weather (don't you love the East Coast?), I would not recommend it.

You should have no problems with the Standard (what I use 100% of the time), or the Deluxe as several have mentioned.

Brian
OES

Ewker
12-26-2006, 20:54
just an FYI http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/ is back open

Egads
12-26-2006, 22:12
Thanks for the help.

I ordered a standard size tarp last night.:rolleyes:

Egads

Touch of Grey
12-27-2006, 05:57
Here is a photo of my setup of a Mac Cat Standard and an HH Explorer. It gives me about 6 inches on either end of coverage. Pulled down properly that is enough extra civerage for me over the standard HH tarp that came with it.

TOG

redbeard
12-27-2006, 19:13
Has anyone else had trouble getting a response from Brian on a tarp order?
I ordered my Deluxe on the 26th and paid for it with PayPal. I've sent him two e-mails to confirm my order and haven't received a reply.

Egads
12-27-2006, 19:19
Have patience,

Brian is a 1st semester college student on break. He is probably out visiting his friends or hiking. I know that I would be if I were in his situation.

Egads

n2o2diver
12-27-2006, 19:31
I don't think he plans to start shipping until after New Years. He just set up to start taking the orders now, not actually filling them until the holidays are over.

Thats my read on the situation.

I ordered on the 26th as well, so your not alone. Gotta either be patient or bug the hell out of him like BirdDog.:)

eyewall
12-28-2006, 03:46
I just ordered the Deluxe yesterday for my HH. :) :) :)

titanium_hiker
12-28-2006, 05:43
heh! Congrats, Brian- not too long ago you and me were both high school students- how time flies!

hope you get to selling tarps soon (and some cash! :) )

TH

Brian
12-28-2006, 14:53
A bit of an apology to those who did not recieve replies from me - my web host decided to play some tricks, namely changing the login information for my email, which in turn made my mail client (I don't regularly use webmail) tell me that I didn't have any new mail. Suprise, I had about 15! I have responded to all those who have contacted me now. Thanks for your patience:)

And yes, there has been some partying and hanging out with friends as well, thanks Egads;)

Brian
OES (http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com)

Bird Dog
12-31-2006, 14:18
I don't think he plans to start shipping until after New Years. He just set up to start taking the orders now, not actually filling them until the holidays are over.

Thats my read on the situation.

I ordered on the 26th as well, so your not alone. Gotta either be patient or bug the hell out of him like BirdDog.:)

Hey, I resemble that comment! :)

MedicineMan
12-31-2006, 21:56
used the regular McCat with no problems but sometimes I'm stuck in camp for a while and like the space under the tarp--assuming I can hang high enough, i try to hang high but sometimes get forced lower, also i paddle camp as much as i hike and more wet gear can hang under the deluxe....glad you decided to get one from Brian, you couldnt have gone wrong with a JRB either but i've spent a lot of time on the phone with Brian and he's a good kid with good intentions.