PDA

View Full Version : What tarp to get?

chadd
03-11-2008, 00:10
First off hello,

This is my first post here, I am tired of not getting any sleep when I camp so I have decided to try out a hammock. Most of my camping is done while motorcycle riding. I think I am going to order the Jungle Hammock. The only thing is that I am not too keen on the fly that comes with it. I think I would rather have something that is a bit larger to offer better coverage in bad weather.

I was wondering if I would be better off getting the 3x4 tarp that is sold by Tom or if I should just pick up something like a Kelty Noha's Tarp 9 or 12. It seems that the Kelty would offer more options as far as coverage because it has more tie out points on it when compared to the 3x4. If I go with the Kelty what would be the best size? The 9 is 10'3" square and the 12 is 12' square.

Thanks,
Chadd

angrysparrow
03-11-2008, 07:51
Also consider:

- a MacCat by OES (http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm) - Very popular here on the forum, and is superbly constructed

- a Speer (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm) Winter Tarp - The ends can be enclosed for maximum coverage

- a JRB (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/11%20x%2010%20Tarp.htm) Cat Tarp - Numerous pitch options possible

Hector
03-11-2008, 09:13
The Hennessey hex tarp works well, too. I got the slightly heavier, much cheaper version because I don't much trust silnyl in real downpours and because I don't worry so much about acorns and little sticks going through it.

RAW
03-11-2008, 09:21
Greetings, Chadd.
I'm going to file a restraining order now.

:D

Anyway . . . . I'm with IrritatedFinch on this one.

Being a gear/gadget freak . . . I keep lusting after those 3 tarps . . . even though I've yet to have a problem with mine.

TiredFeet
03-11-2008, 11:31
I was wondering if I would be better off getting the 3x4 tarp that is sold by Tom or if I should just pick up something like a Kelty Noha's Tarp 9 or 12. It seems that the Kelty would offer more options as far as coverage because it has more tie out points on it when compared to the 3x4. If I go with the Kelty what would be the best size? The 9 is 10'3" square and the 12 is 12' square.

Thanks,
Chadd

Careful on the Noah 9.

The Kelty Noah 9 is nominally 9' on a side. I learned that the hard way when I had to send one back to Campmor. Their web site indicates 10' 3" on a side.

IT IS NOT.

They ended up paying the return postage and said they would update the web site - just checked - they haven't. I think it is actually 103" on a side and whoever designed their web page transcribed it wrong. The Noah 12 is much closer to 12' on a side. It is huge- absolutely huge. All of the tie outs make using it easier though and you don't really need to use the full corner to corner distance to hang it since you can use one or both of the tie outs on the ridge line and use less distance. Also, the side tie outs make it easy to stake out the sides and you don't have to extend the side corners all the way, just use the side tie outs if you want less distance.

Excellent tarps even if they are heavier than silnylon and not camo.

dufus934
03-11-2008, 11:39
Just make one. It is super simple to make a rectangular tarp and you can make it to the exact specs that you need. Just a thought. Good Luck in your search!

chadd
03-11-2008, 12:42
Yeah pretty small world isn't it? It is funny how people with similar intrests show up at the same place.

I went ahead and ordered Toms' Jungle Hammock with his standard fly that ships with it, I am going to try it out before I buy a different one. After reading it was a bit bigger than what I though it was, so it may be just fine for me.

Does anyone know if the HH snake skins will work with the jungle hammock? Being that this is my first camping hammock are there any must haves that I should pick up while waiting for the hammock to arrive, rigging gear, straps, or anything like that?

Thanks,
Chadd

Greetings, Chadd.
I'm going to file a restraining order now.

:D

Anyway . . . . I'm with IrritatedFinch on this one.

Being a gear/gadget freak . . . I keep lusting after those 3 tarps . . . even though I've yet to have a problem with mine.

chadd
03-11-2008, 12:46
Thanks for the information. I am glad you said something about the Noah 9 because that is the one I was planning on getting if I order one. Do you happen to have any pics of the Noah 12 in use? I am sure that I am going to struggle with setup on this once I get everything. I am a picture kind of guy so any images would help.

Thanks,
Chadd

Careful on the Noah 9.

The Kelty Noah 9 is nominally 9' on a side. I learned that the hard way when I had to send one back to Campmor. Their web site indicates 10' 3" on a side.

IT IS NOT.

They ended up paying the return postage and said they would update the web site - just checked - they haven't. I think it is actually 103" on a side and whoever designed their web page transcribed it wrong. The Noah 12 is much closer to 12' on a side. It is huge- absolutely huge. All of the tie outs make using it easier though and you don't really need to use the full corner to corner distance to hang it since you can use one or both of the tie outs on the ridge line and use less distance. Also, the side tie outs make it easy to stake out the sides and you don't have to extend the side corners all the way, just use the side tie outs if you want less distance.

Excellent tarps even if they are heavier than silnylon and not camo.

bredler
03-11-2008, 17:05
I recently bought the Speer Winter Tarp and I love it. I used it Sunday night in the low 20s to upper teens and I was comfy. Lots of coverage and since it was so cold I pitched it straight to the ground. It stood close to five feet tall pitched at a steep angle with the tie-outs staked directly into the ground. plenty of room underneath for gear, a little walking room and the ends were staked completely shut. My platypus hydration hose was freezing up during the day if I didn't keep water moving through it, but sitting overnight under the tarp even well below freezing, it was kept warm enough to not freeze. The tarp did a great job of keeping in as much body heat as you can hope for and keeping the wind out. The cat cuts are great too, it pitched taught very quickly.

My vote is for the Speer.