PDA

View Full Version : Completed Hammock Sock

Coffee
12-19-2006, 01:22
I just completed sewing my hammock sock. It is measures 9' long and 45" wide before seams and sewing. I used 1 65"x9' piece of 1.1 DWR ripstop and 1 25"x9' piece of non-coated 1.1 ripstop. At first I only used the non-coated ripstop since that was all I had. But after thinking about it, that might be a good thing. The coated should help stop the wind a little better and provide a little extra protection from any windblown rain. That shouldn't be an issue with the tarp I am using. The non-coated should help ventilate the mosture from my body and breath. Hopefully that will stop any condensation. I have it sewn so that I can hang the non-coated on the either the top or bottom depending on how it works out. The open end is closed using a draw string and cord lock closure.

I know I should post a pic with it, but I was too happy about finishing to wait. I am planning a quick overnight tomarrow night. I'll post pics after that. The temp should be around 30 degrees. I am going to try to find a site close to the lake and hopefully get closer to 20.

Coffee
12-19-2006, 01:37
I weigthed it and it comes in at 10.6 oz. I think that the uncoated ripstop I have might actually be 1.9 oz. That could account for some of the weight. I could trim it down where the foot end is and save a couple ozs.

After making it, I think that Jeff's and Risk's versions that use a zipper across the top are a lighter way to go. I think that trimming the extra material on both the head and foot end offsets the weight of the zipper and then some.

In the end this only came in 2 or 3 ozs heavier than Jeff's and Rick's version. With my sewing skills I am happy with that.

slowhike
12-19-2006, 06:38
it's a learning process isn't it? trial & error<g>
i`ll be looking forward to hearing how it performs for you this weekend & seeing pictures.
i`m torn between hammock projects & other stuff i need to be doing, but i've got a shell project in the planing stages too.

Certain
12-19-2006, 09:20
Hey, are you taking this on the AT next year?

Coffee
12-19-2006, 09:44
Hey, are you taking this on the AT next year?

If it works as well as I think it will I am.

Johnny Swank
12-19-2006, 17:37
I don't have a whole lot of nights in my hammock, but everyone of them were with a hammock sock at 40 degrees or below. I'm totally sold on using one, and I think they work awesome as part of a complete system. A couple of nights were colder than I felt comfortable using the hammock with the insulation I was carrying. One night I just slept under my quilts, while the next night everything went inside the hammock sock like using a bivy. That made a world of difference warmth-wise.

If I did another thru-hike, I could see using making 2 socks. One would be nothing but .75 nylon for cold weather use, and the other would be .75 oz nylon with a netting top for the bug season.

Certain
12-19-2006, 20:49
I've never seen one of these...I've got a vision in my head kind of like a Speer Peapod, but have no clue if that's right.

So question...if you use a hammock sock and underquilt, do you still need to use a ccf pad for really cold temps?

Anyone have a pic of this thing?

Johnny Swank
12-19-2006, 21:29
Basically a hammock sock is just a tube made out of nylon with drawstrings on the ends. Mine was a quick and dirty affair sewn from 2 sections of 50" x approx 9.5 feet of $1 nylon. Jeff just has some photos on his site, and here are a few from my Cape Fear River trip (http://sourcetosea.net/CapeFear/overview.html). I'll put up some more later when I get them loaded onto Flicker. I'm also going to put up a quick page on sewing one of these things together, along with sewing the down quilt in the photos.

http://sourcetosea.net/CapeFear/Photos/files/page25-1024-full.jpg

http://sourcetosea.net/CapeFear/Photos/files/page25-1001-full.jpg

http://sourcetosea.net/CapeFear/Photos/files/page25-1019-full.jpg

Just Jeff
12-19-2006, 22:29
It's almost like a PeaPod. A PeaPod snugs right against the bottom of the hammock to provide insulation, where the sock hangs down away from the hammock to give you dead air space between your insulation and the wind. So a sock is basically a bigger version than a PeaPod, but with no insulation. Its purpose is to provide an air pocket between your insulation and the wind, where the PeaPod's purpose is to provide insulation.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html
http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearTravelPod.html

chezrad
12-19-2006, 23:41
Just out of curiosity, after reading about hammock socks on several of the sites mentioned, would it be possible to put a strip of noseeum in the top of the sock to completely eliminate concerns about condensation? I was thinking maybe a six or eight inch strip either running the whole length, or just at the head end. Just a thought.

Certain
12-19-2006, 23:51
Oh....that's pretty cool. So, let's say it's a cold windy night, how much warmer will it be w/a sock and tarp pitched for cold weather vs. just the tarp? Is a ccf pad still necessary if using a sock or will the wind blockage and quasi-vapor barrier (sock made from silnylon) allow you to warm up enough?

Just Jeff
12-20-2006, 00:52
I've measured over 10F difference inside the sock and outside, but still under my tarp. But that's just the heat near the top of the sock and doesn't really account for the difference in convective heat with and without the extra protected space below the underquilt...so the actual difference is probably higher than what a standard thermometer could measure. I guess putting a probe between the hammock and underquilt, then testing with and without the sock, would be the best way to know for sure. I remember Risk did this with one of his projects...Risk, have you tested the TravelPod this way?

I wouldn't use silnylon...a VB will cause moisture to build up in the insulation if you put it around the outside. Maybe a small strip along the bottom, but certainly not wrapping all around.

Re: the pad...some kind of insulation will be necessary for most conditions, I'd imagine. If you're comfortable to 70F with no bottom insulation, a sock may get you to 60F or so...just guessing. But adding the sock protects the insulation and adds several degrees so I don't have to resort to a pad.

Re: the bug net...I think that would help with condensation. It would also vent some of the heat, though. It would be a tradeoff...lots of bug net would be good for some conditions (humid or warm), a little bit of bug net is better for drier or colder conditions. Personally, I'm happy so far with the zipper approach...I can zip it around my head for cold conditions and still not breathe into it, or I can unzip it to vent if I get too warm or get condensation buildup. But I haven't really field tested it yet.

All just my opinions, obviously...someone may know better science behind it all. But the big thing is that gear has to be suited to conditions, and this is only one option that will be suited to some conditions. Right now, it's an option I like, though. :D

Frolicking Dino
12-20-2006, 06:29
A question - has anyone ever made a sock that has some light baffling inside the dead air space? My thinking is that it would disrupt the air currents (as down and other insulation do) and lead to a warmer sleeping experience.

Just Jeff
12-20-2006, 10:30
Light baffling without any insulation? Or like an oversized PeaPod? Not sure what you're envisioning.

Grinder
12-20-2006, 10:32
Check out Ray Garlington's insullation methods. He crinkles up newspaper inside a garbage bag and puts that in the dead space underneth. Others use a space blanket.
Still others use leaves.

You're on the right track.

Tom

Grinder
12-20-2006, 12:47
To me, dead air space as insulation is a dead end.

Fellow campers used to complain about freezing on an air mattress. I scoffed.

Then two years ago, I camped at Suches Ga, near Springer Mountain. It went into the mid twenties and I nearly froze to death from the bottom. Finally, in the middle of the night, I remembered my down vest and put it under my bag, on top of the air mattress. Then I got some sleep.

Air seems to convect so well that it is of dubious insullation value.

Tom

Frolicking Dino
12-20-2006, 13:18
Light baffling without any insulation? Or like an oversized PeaPod? Not sure what you're envisioning.As I understand it, the normal convection of warm and cold air within a 'dead air' space is what prevents it from insulating well. If something inside disrupted the air currents, it should keep the heat from being lost as quickly... so a system of baffles (just like those inside down quilts to keep the down in place) or maybe a piece of very light weight material a wee-bit smaller that the sock should (in theory anyway) slow the lost of heat thru convection.

Coffee
12-20-2006, 13:35
As I understand it, the normal convection of warm and cold air within a 'dead air' space is what prevents it from insulating well. If something inside disrupted the air currents, it should keep the heat from being lost as quickly... so a system of baffles (just like those inside down quilts to keep the down in place) or maybe a piece of very light weight material a wee-bit smaller that the sock should (in theory anyway) slow the lost of heat thru convection.

Interesting thought. Kind of like triple pain windows. I wonder if the the increase in insulation would be enough to off set the weight. Something like that would have to be close to 1.5 to 2 lbs.

slowhike
12-20-2006, 13:44
To me, dead air space as insulation is a dead end.

Fellow campers used to complain about freezing on an air mattress. I scoffed.

Then two years ago, I camped at Suches Ga, near Springer Mountain. It went into the mid twenties and I nearly froze to death from the bottom. Finally, in the middle of the night, I remembered my down vest and put it under my bag, on top of the air mattress. Then I got some sleep.

Air seems to convect so well that it is of dubious insullation value.

Tom

i believe the greatest function of the sock & the dead air space it creates is not to insulate, but to simply create a still air space that keeps air movement/wind from whisking away the warm air layer that surrounds the insulation of your top & bottom quilt.
the idea of baffles to stop air movement with-in that dead air space might help some, but i don`t know if it would be enough to compensate for the weight of the extra material. but, who knows?

Coffee
12-20-2006, 13:48
I tested it out last night. Overall it preformed pretty well. I started off with mid weight bottoms and top, socks, and windproof hat. I was using JRB nest, DIY hammock, DIY hammock sock, McCat Deluxe tarp, and Mont bell 20 degree bag.

The temp when I went to sleep was around 30 degrees. At around 6am It was about 15 degrees out. Inside the hammock sock on the ridgeline I measured 46+ at the start of the night and about 37 in the morning.

I was pretty comfortable for a few hours. I got in the hammock at 6pm. I started to get a little cold on the butt area and put my jacket underneath me. This worked out pretty well for awhile. In the middle of the night I woke up even colder there and added a pad under my butt only. I figured in the middle of the night was the as good of time as any to cut a section of my pad off. I woke up around 6am or so pretty cold underneath. I added the rest of my pad underneath and way pretty warm after a few minutes.

I think Jeff was on to something concerning the temp. I think the only way to really measure the temp increase is to measure the temp at different places and compair to no sock. Maybe the best place to take it would be next to your skin both ontop and below. In the end that is the only place that really matters. It is nice to breath in warmer air though.

I still got some condensation. It wasn't nearly as bad as with my other version. It wasn't bad enough to worry about in the morning. Minus a few watering breaks I spend about 12 hours in there. I was thinking about netting about where my face would be, but as Jeff said that would vent some of the heat.

Coffee
12-20-2006, 14:07
Does someone have a good program to downsize digital pics? The Pc I am using right now is giving me fits and will not do it.

After I get that fixed I'll post pics.

Frolicking Dino
12-20-2006, 14:14
Have any of you ever tried bubble wrap as an under-hammock insulation? I ask because it would settle the question of the usefulness of disrupting air currents in dead air.

Certain
12-20-2006, 15:19
Does someone have a good program to downsize digital pics? The Pc I am using right now is giving me fits and will not do it.

I do...Adobe Photoshop. Want to email them to me and tell me what size to resize them too?

Certain
12-20-2006, 15:21
Have any of you ever tried bubble wrap as an under-hammock insulation? I ask because it would settle the question of the usefulness of disrupting air currents in dead air.

Imagine the sound if a porcupine walked under your hammock! :D

Frolicking Dino
12-20-2006, 16:30
Popcorn anyone :D

Arkwater
12-20-2006, 19:47

Microsoft has a free add in on their site. Simple to use. I think its called pic resizer?

slowhike
12-20-2006, 20:05
someone recently told me about a free photo storage from google called picasa.
i don`t know if that`s what your looking for, but i belive it resizes the pictures for you automaticly.
it also lets you do a lot of other stuff w/ your photos... & it's fast.

titanium_hiker
12-21-2006, 01:53
microsoft photoeditor- it might already be there. Or under XP- you should be able to do it from explorer.

TH

Coffee
12-21-2006, 09:47
Thanks everyone for the programs. I'll get that working today.

Just Jeff
12-21-2006, 09:49
Hrm...I guess the baffles would work, but not sure if it would work well enough to justify the weight. Might as well make it a PeaPod.

The sock protects the insulation from convective loss, rather than really being insulation itself. I guess in a way that's still using dead air space as insulation, though.

I just use MS Photo Manager to resize my pics...it comes standard with XP, I think.

neo
12-21-2006, 20:30
Basically a hammock sock is just a tube made out of nylon with drawstrings on the ends. Mine was a quick and dirty affair sewn from 2 sections of 50" x approx 9.5 feet of $1 nylon. Jeff just has some photos on his site, and here are a few from my Cape Fear River trip (http://sourcetosea.net/CapeFear/overview.html). I'll put up some more later when I get them loaded onto Flicker. I'm also going to put up a quick page on sewing one of these things together, along with sewing the down quilt in the photos.

http://sourcetosea.net/CapeFear/Photos/files/page25-1024-full.jpg

http://sourcetosea.net/CapeFear/Photos/files/page25-1001-full.jpg

http://sourcetosea.net/CapeFear/Photos/files/page25-1019-full.jpg

:) nice pics bro,i am a kayaking hammock hanging fool myself
:cool: neo

Coffee
12-27-2006, 14:01
Ok I finally got the PC photo thing figured out. Below are the pics of my hammock sock. Unfortunately I do not have a kayak to put in the foreground.

Inside foot view.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/HammockSockInsideView.jpg

Outside opened view.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/HammockSockOutsideView.jpg

Outside closed head end view.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/HammockSockClosedHeadEnd.jpg

Outside view of foot end with McCat Deluxe tarp.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/HammockSockandMcCatDeluxe.jpg

The bottom view shows the bottom edge of the foot end a little exposed to the weather. The picture was taken from an angle, so it is not as bad as it looks. I am going to go back and trim this down. This should help keep it a little warmer inside. I will not be losing any heat do to direct convection heat lose with the outside air. The tarp will be able to block most of the wind before it hits the sock. This should get it out of the weather and save some weight.

headchange4u
12-27-2006, 14:30
Looks great HE. Is that weather treated cloth on the bottom (green) and untreated fabric (gray) on the top?

Coffee
12-27-2006, 14:34
Yes, the green is the only treated stuff. It has the DWR finish. The grey is uncoated. It has a rough surface to it.

It wasn't intentional to use uncoated like that. It was the only material I have. In retrospect I think it helps the sock breath. I have it sewn so I can flip it and put the grey on the bottom. I might try a night like that to see if I notice a condensation difference.

blackbishop351
12-27-2006, 19:06
Is that your HH? If so, how did you deal with the slit entry? I'm planning on one of these for my Speer-type, but it seemed like the slit might be a hassle...

Just Jeff
12-27-2006, 22:32
Great looking project, HE! How much does it weigh?

Coffee
12-28-2006, 01:50
Jeff it weighs in at 10.5 oz. I little heavier than yours. I think I could save an oz off when I trim it.

BB, the hammock is my DIY Speer style hammock made out of nylon taffeta. I am still playing around with the homemade asym cut and whipping. That is probibly why it resembles the HH. I think I am getting close to having something that works.

blackbishop351
12-28-2006, 05:27
A little off topic, but...

I was thinking about adding one or two shock cords (with cordlocks) in sleeves around the girth of my sock. That would allow for adjustment for different conditions, i.e. underquilt/no underquilt etc. Just to cut down on the extra air space when not needed. Thoughts?

Coffee
12-28-2006, 11:20
Interesting thought.

I don't think it would work for what I am using my sock for. It is only going to be part of the cold weather gear. If it was buggy or only in the 40's at night, I probibly would not use it. There is only a couple inches of space between the bottom of my nest and the sock. I don't think I would notice a difference if I pulled it tighter. Mine is big only because I have my ridgeline high. I don't like things right up against my face.

Annie
03-21-2008, 12:20
I've read these forums until my eyes are blurry....

Did anyone ever come up with a good pattern for a sock for a Hennessy Asym?

angrysparrow
03-21-2008, 12:28

Holy old thread!! You've reached into the depths to bump this thread. It's been dormant for more than sixteen months.. :rolleyes:

Check HC4U's gallery (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=27). He made a top cover for a HH that looks nice.

Annie
03-21-2008, 13:16
:::laughing:::

Sorry.. just need to know the answer! :o

angrysparrow
03-21-2008, 13:28
:::laughing:::

Sorry.. just need to know the answer! :o

The cover that is shown in HC's gallery is the closest thing I've seen to a sock for a HH. Without making the HH bugnet removeable, I think a typical sock would be hard to close up once in the HH.

fin
03-21-2008, 13:45
Thanks everyone for the programs. I'll get that working today.

I use irfanview - it's a free, and easy to use and install.

headchange4u
03-21-2008, 17:23

Did anyone ever come up with a good pattern for a sock for a Hennessy Asym?

Because of the bottom entry on a HH, hammock socks can be a little hard to use . The side tie outs on a HH will also be an issue with a sock. As angrysparrow pointed out, a top cover would be a better choice for the HH. Here's the thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=311&highlight=weathershield) that has info on the top cover I came up with. HH also sells a top cover for their hammocks if you don't want to go the DIY route.

Annie
03-21-2008, 17:46
Thanks... I saw the top cover.
I appreciate it.

Coffee
03-21-2008, 21:20
I think the top cover will serve most of the use. I have been thinking about just doing some sort of a top cover when I get a tarp made that has closed ends. The socks biggest benifit to me is to heat up the air that I am breathing inside.

Lost
03-21-2008, 23:32
Are you doing a DIY closed tarp? Or going with Speer or JRB?

nigelp
03-22-2008, 06:24
I think the top cover will serve most of the use. I have been thinking about just doing some sort of a top cover when I get a tarp made that has closed ends. The socks biggest benifit to me is to heat up the air that I am breathing inside.

I had quite bad condensation issues with my sock a few weeks ago with my peapod; although to fair I had it cinched right up and it was still strung across the ridge line it very cold also so one would expect a wide temperature variation between the inside of the sock and the outside=condensation!!

Is condensation reduced when laying the sock directly over the top of the peapod?

Should I have left the end open so my breathe escapes more?

Or is it best to use the sock in windy/cold weather rather than still/cold weather?

Nigel

Youngblood
03-22-2008, 07:22
I had quite bad condensation issues with my sock a few weeks ago with my peapod; although to fair I had it cinched right up and it was still strung across the ridge line it very cold also so one would expect a wide temperature variation between the inside of the sock and the outside=condensation!!

Is condensation reduced when laying the sock directly over the top of the peapod?

Or is it best to use the sock in windy/cold weather rather than still/cold weather?

Nigel
Like you are getting at, environmental conditions have a huge impact on how well a particular setup handles condensation. The dew point, temperature, and movement of the surrounding air vary and the ideal setup varies with that. You have to make adjustments as best you can to handle what is dished out at you.

In cold weather I like to sleep with a bandanna or some fleece over my mouth. I think that helps prevent sore throat problems from breathing cold dry air and also cuts down on how much moisture you lose through breathing. That bandanna or fleece will get damp and a little nasty but I always thought that was worth it. Sometimes you might want an opening for fresh air near you face and sometimes you can do without it. Like you surmised, that depends on several factors-- temperature, wind, humidity, etc, all play a part in that decision.

headchange4u
03-22-2008, 10:54
nigelp,

What is your sock made out of? Is it DWR material or untreated?

Coffee
03-22-2008, 11:03
Are you doing a DIY closed tarp? Or going with Speer or JRB?

I am a ways off from having the time and money, plus my machine is in the shop. But I am thinking that a standard rectangular tarp is all I need. I am going to make a 12x8 foot tarp. I am going to put 4 tieouts per side. I am thinking I can close it the same way the speer winter tarp does. I am going to hang it so the bottom is off the ground a ways. That will acccount for the ends being longer when closed. I have to give Slowhike credit for this after talking with him at Mt Rogers.

Nigel

I have had problems off and on with this. I think a lot of it has to do with the temp and dewpoints. Under a certain temp, I seem to always get it. The benifits to me still outweigh the condensation issues.

nigelp
03-22-2008, 14:42
nigelp,

It's a treated fabric. I think it was a second quality treated nylon. I reakon the conditions I used it in were certainly a factor; quite cold and although windy the tarp blocked most of it, I will try it again and experiment some more!
I have never tried the bandana idea but I do have some ideas about vapour barriers inside the quilt or peapod to see how that affects warmth and condesation issues.

Nigel

Doctari
03-22-2008, 15:54
nigelp,

I actually have the original hammock sock in question.
HE made the majority of the body with DWR, there is a strip that runs the length of the sock, & about 1.5' wide, that is untreated. IF I put the untreated where it's supposed to go, (On top) I get minimal condensation. If I let it slide around, I get wet. Naturally, if I leave the head end open the condensation is much less.

I will likely never camp without the sock. It easily adds 10 to 20 degrees to the temp of my set up.

A story about "My" sock: I was hanging rather close to a trail in RRG, Paralllel to the trail. I had the sock pulled up & the draw cord snugged close, no tarp. It was still daylight (about 6:00 PM) I heard some day hikers comming up the trail, about 30' from me one said "Oh, someone is camping up ahead" (they could only see a little of my set up.) l o n g p a u s e: "OH WOW, COOOOLLL!!!" just as they got in sight of my cocoon. This is what I looked like laying there :D

nigelp
03-22-2008, 16:10
HE made the majority of the body with DWR, there is a strip that runs the length of the sock, & about 1.5' wide, that is untreated. IF I put the untreated where it's supposed to go, (On top) I get minimal condensation. If I let it slide around, I get wet. Naturally, if I leave the head end open the condensation is much less.

I will likely never camp without the sock. It easily adds 10 to 20 degrees to the temp of my set up.

Would there be some benfit from putting say a strip of insect mesh on top that could in certain conditions be turned towards the top to reduce condensation?
I also wonder how much this would reduce the 'temperature raised' but still give the benefit of a warmer setup with out having to resort to a thicker quilt etc.?

Nigel

warbonnetguy
03-22-2008, 17:27
hey everyone, this has raised an interesting question for me recently. i always thought dwr did not effect the breathability of the fabric it was on, but doctari's sock seems to show otherwise.

i recieved some samples of epic malibu from owf the other day. the epic is supposed to be high quality dwr, but looks slightly coated and is very hard to blow through although some air does pass. it doesn't seem like it would be nearly breathable enough for something like this. i also tested some dwr 1.1 from owf as well and it was supprisingly hard to blow through as well, but not nearly as bad as the epic.

i thought some of the cheaper probably less effective dwr treatments like the spray on or wash in might not effect breathability, seems like the silicone ones probably would.

i wonder if it might be good to make one out of untreated 1.1 and then get some spray on silicone like ed uses and spray everything but the top foot or two of the sock, or maybe just leave an untreated area above your head. i wonder how much weight it would add?

headchange4u
03-22-2008, 17:50
The socks and top covers that I have made in the past are made from untreated material for maximum breathability. I do have a sock with silnylon ends, a DWR bottom, and a large untreated section on the top. I do think that DWR material going to cause more problems with condensation because it's less breathable. You can tell that by simply blowing through treated and untreated material; DWR is harder to blow through.

warbonnetguy
03-22-2008, 19:14
condensation because it's less breathable. You can tell that by simply blowing through treated and untreated material; DWR is harder to blow through.

yeah, i wondered that when i was doing the blow tests, but i didn't have any fabric i knew was untreated as lots of breathables have dwr dreatment, especially from owf and quest, i'll have to pay closer attention when ordering breathable fabrics now, would you say regular dwr is only a problem when it's something you are breathing into, like a sock, and not really a problem for uq's and such?

headchange4u
03-22-2008, 20:32
would you say regular dwr is only a problem when it's something you are breathing into, like a sock, and not really a problem for uq's and such?

That's a great way to put it. The DWR on a UQ is there to keep the moisture out and keep the insulation dry but in an enclosed hammock sock, the DWR works against you to keep the moisture trapped inside and makes it hard for the humid air to escape. I think untreated material will better absorb the moisture and wick it way.

IMHO, condensation is more dangerous when it comes to a hammock sock. The material is in very close proximity and is almost always in contact with the hammock at some point.

Some people use DWR socks with success so it might take the right conditions for condensation to become a real problem. Having an option for venting should solve most condensation problems with DWR I would think.

Coffee
03-23-2008, 00:09
One thing to think about in reference to dwr on a quilt, is it is warmer. The dwr helps keep the air you warmed up inside the quilt from leaving and cold air from blowing in and cooling things.

I think it is a trade off. I can't say how much warmer dwr is, but I think it is warmer.

warbonnetguy
03-23-2008, 11:15
well, if it blocks more air, it is then a partial vapor barrier so it makes sense that it would be warmer. the epic malibu smaple i ordered looked like it actually had a light coating on it (later found out it is treated with silicone, and it's polyester). i read that somebody made a quilt out of it and reported no condensation problems. i think your and hc's sock with dwr with untreated areas above the head sounds like the way to go.

hc, does your hybrid cause more condensation than the fully untreated one? experienced condensation in either? were they fully closed?

headchange4u
03-23-2008, 13:44
I never had a condensation problem with any of my socks or top covers. The hybrid one I made was only used a couple of times before it got pushed to the bottom of a plastic tote and was forgotten about. I found it and let Hooch use it at the RRG hang out. My sock that I use the most is made from 1.1oz untreated.

From my experience, as long as you have an area of highly breathable material, like untreated ripstop, directly over your head, then condensation doesn't seem to be that big of a problem. Doctari's experience seems to back that up:

HE did make a good point about DWR possibly being warmer. I also think DWR has the potential to be warmer because it restricts air flow.

I am working on a sock right now that will have DWR on the bottom and untreated on the top. I think Just Jeff mentioned having a sock where you could also add a section of NoSeeUm netting for summer use, and that's what I want to try and accomplish:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/Sockconcept005.jpg

Lost
03-23-2008, 14:20
Here's an example of sock with DWR on bottom and untreated along the ridge line. No problems with condensation.

This was in the making phase. I think he added shock cord or somthing simular to close up end.

SuperTroll
05-14-2008, 21:17
like a full tongue in a boot...the tongue is the mesh, (always there) and the zipper is the lace in the boot....

Zipped closed it's as if there is no mesh, unzipped, even partially and you get venting with mosquito protection....

think of it as an adjustable vent...open a little or a lot.

JaxHiker
09-08-2008, 12:27
Pretty interesting. Yet foreign to me. In FL I gasp for every bit of ventilation I can find. :)

Doftya
11-04-2008, 23:37
like a full tongue in a boot...the tongue is the mesh, (always there) and the zipper is the lace in the boot....

Zipped closed it's as if there is no mesh, unzipped, even partially and you get venting with mosquito protection....

think of it as an adjustable vent...open a little or a lot.

Would it save some weight to replace the zipper with some ties made out of 1/2" grossgrain? I was thinking of having a sock that was half sock and half netting, but with ties to be able to close up the netting, and possibly rotate the sock so this netting bundle is on bottom to retain heat better. You could then open it up to allow some bug free ventilation, possibly having some extra ties to bunch up the nylon so it doesn't hang too low?

Any thoughts?

Dave

angrysparrow
11-04-2008, 23:52
Any thoughts?

It might be worth the weight savings to you.

I've used one of these for a lot of nights in the field. Some observations -

- Unless you secure it to a ridgeline in some way, it will rotate as you toss and turn in the hammock. This could cause the netting to vent air when you don't mean for it to.

- When sleeping in changing conditions (warm to cold, or vice versa) it is common to change the amount of venting pretty often. With a zipper, that is very easy to do. It might be more tedious with ties.

- Have a look at skskinner's design shown in pics in this thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3440). It uses either velcro or omnitape along the top, and has proven to be very user friendly IMO.

Coffee
11-06-2008, 16:03
Would it save some weight to replace the zipper with some ties made out of 1/2" grossgrain? I was thinking of having a sock that was half sock and half netting, but with ties to be able to close up the netting, and possibly rotate the sock so this netting bundle is on bottom to retain heat better. You could then open it up to allow some bug free ventilation, possibly having some extra ties to bunch up the nylon so it doesn't hang too low?

Any thoughts?

Dave

It might be worth the weight savings to you.

I've used one of these for a lot of nights in the field. Some observations -

- Unless you secure it to a ridgeline in some way, it will rotate as you toss and turn in the hammock. This could cause the netting to vent air when you don't mean for it to.

- When sleeping in changing conditions (warm to cold, or vice versa) it is common to change the amount of venting pretty often. With a zipper, that is very easy to do. It might be more tedious with ties.

- Have a look at skskinner's design shown in pics in this thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3440). It uses either velcro or omnitape along the top, and has proven to be very user friendly IMO.

If it moves too much it might be too small of a sock. Smaller is better since you will have less space to warm. But too small will compress insulation. A fine line on this one. I usually error on the large side to give me more room to move around.

I thought about doing a half and half one. Just a simple full rectangle with a drawstring at one or both ends. It would also make a good ground bivy. Mainly for the trips where you are not sure if there are bugs or if there are but you are not sure it will be cool enough for a sock.

I'm not a big zipper guy, really anything to hold it closed would work. Just depends on how much of a hassel you are willing to deal with.

Coffee
11-06-2008, 16:05
A side note worth considering is whether a larger tarp and something hanging over the ridgeline would be more effective for the weight. A larger tarp with end protection would block more wind and something over the ridgeline would trap in heat. The main benifits of a sock.

Something worth looking into. I would but it's a tropical wonderland where I live now.