PDA

View Full Version : GA Backpacking Trip- Mar 29-30th, 2008

Youngblood
03-14-2008, 09:07
I have an overnight backpacking trip in the works on Saturday, March 29th and Sunday, March 30th if you are interested in joining. There are several people joining for the overnight camping, some will hike in with me while others may take a shorter or longer route.

The basic plan is to campout at Whitly Gap Shelter on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia. This is peak thru hiker season but this particular shelter is 1.2 miles off the AT so it doesn't get many thru hikers if any at all, mostly locals use it.

The side trail to Whitly Gap Shelter is between where the AT kisses GA348 at Testnatee Gap and where the AT crosses GA348 at Hogpen Gap. It is 0.9 trail miles between Testnatee Gap and Hogpen Gap and 0.5 road miles. The 0.5 miles on road has a pull out for viewing Lord Have Mercy Cove(?) with a nice view to Brasstown Bald, the highest peak in Georgia. GA348 is a designated scenic highway that only runs between GA180 and GA75-Alternate. GA75-Alternate bypasses Helen, GA and runs between US129 and GA75. GA180 runs between GA75 and GA60 while crossing and sharing some roadway with US19/US129 near Vogel SP. This is some of the most scenic areas of the Georgia AT in my opinion... even the drive is spectacular if you drive in from the GA75-Alternate route. There are several pullouts there with some nice views towards Yonah Mountain.

My plan is to backpack 8 miles from Neels Gap (where the AT crosses US19/129), leaving Saturday morning at 9:30. I will retrace my steps on Sunday.

I will leave my vehicle at the Reese Memorial Parking lot about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile down the road from the outfitters at Neels Gap where overnight parking is permitted. Overnight parking is also permitted at Testnatee Gap and Hogpen Gap. There is a short but very steep climb to the top of Wildcat Mountain from Testnatee Gap but it also has one of my favorite views before you reach the side trail to the shelter. The climb from Hogpen Gap is much easier as Hogpen Gap is at about 300 feet higher elevation.

FanaticFringer
03-14-2008, 15:43
I might be game for this campout. Sounds like fun.

Youngblood
03-24-2008, 18:01
It is this weekend if anyone is interested.

RAW
03-24-2008, 20:14
I'd love to.

I need hiking/camping buddies.

But I have a sculpture installation deadline on Saturday.

alex30808
03-25-2008, 23:05
When will you be planning another trip...this is prime turkey season and I also have an outdoor show this weekend in Columbia SC...that'll run from Friday through Sunday. I am wanting to get out and meet some of yall so I can see how I am supposed to hang...lol...

CursedKarma
03-26-2008, 01:04
Wow I will be so close.. On the 28th I will be hiking into blygap. On the night of the 29th I should be somewhere between deep gap shelter and Addis Gap. You will only be like 20 miles away. Enjoy the trail.