PDA

View Full Version : _fleece quilt set_

flatline
07-21-2011, 19:44
i had my buddys at WL make a summer UQ and TQ for me.
i have been wanting a fleece UQ and TQ for a while so i got together with Marty and we designed a nice UQ
that i can use along with my UQP as an extended summer quilt.
i also wanted a TQ to match. we came up with a TQ that has a 1.1 coyote cover, shock cords on both ends
and velcro to close the foot end. the TQ can be left open as a rectangular blanket.
Marty had just enough (discontinued) camo fleece to make the set which weighs in at 55oz. it ain't heavy,
it's summer comfort with style.

i shot a few quick pix for proof. i'll shoot some next week with it installed (too late, too hot, too humid and too tired).

JerryW
07-21-2011, 19:47
WL?

Jerry

NewtonGT
07-21-2011, 19:48
looks good brother! WL strikes again. hmmmm wonder if he will make the TQ for the masses. I like the fleece TQ idea. tell me how you like it in the field man :D

flatline
07-21-2011, 19:49
Wilderness Logics (http://www.wildernesslogics.com/)
they make most of my stuff. great peeps.

NewtonGT
07-21-2011, 19:49
WL?

Jerry

wilderness logics

flatline
07-21-2011, 20:04
looks good brother! WL strikes again. hmmmm wonder if he will make the TQ for the masses. I like the fleece TQ idea. tell me how you like it in the field man :D

i think he will make'm if you order'em.
he had some fleece that he had for a while and so i had him sew it up for me.
TQ was 75.oo, UQ was 85.oo he packaged the pair to me for 150.oo.

the TQ is 5.5' x 7'.
in mega hot weather, like now, i can take the tq only and use it backwards. just lay it in the hammock and pull the sides over me, bottom cinched a little or closed. no UQ.

NewtonGT
07-21-2011, 20:12
i think he will make'm if you order'em.
he had some fleece that he had for a while and so i had him sew it up for me.
TQ was 75.oo, UQ was 85.oo he packaged the pair to me for 150.oo.

the TQ is 5.5' x 7'.
in mega hot weather, like now, i can take the tq only and use it backwards. just lay it in the hammock and pull the sides over me, bottom cinched a little or closed. no UQ.

sounds good man. yea we have talked on the phone alot and he keeps tellin me if I ever think of anything custom I need that he would love to make it for me. Hes got me layin in bed trying to think of something I want haha

OutandBack
07-21-2011, 20:41
i had my buddys at WL make a summer UQ and TQ for me.
i have been wanting a fleece UQ and TQ for a while so i got together with Marty and we designed a nice UQ
that i can use along with my UQP as an extended summer quilt.
i also wanted a TQ to match. we came up with a TQ that has a 1.1 coyote cover, shock cords on both ends
and velcro to close the foot end. the TQ can be left open as a rectangular blanket.
Marty had just enough (discontinued) camo fleece to make the set which weighs in at 55oz. it ain't heavy,
it's summer comfort with style.

i shot a few quick pix for proof. i'll shoot some next week with it installed (too late, too hot, too humid and too tired).

Love it Love it Love it.

55oz (3.4lbs) seems high but maybe it's thick fleece.
For comparison my 3S WL TQ and HG summer 3/4 UQ only weights 37 oz. (2.3lbs) together.

flatline
07-21-2011, 20:51
fraid so, both are 7' by 5.5' and fleece is some heavy stuff, TQ=33 + UQ=22.
it doesn't compress well either.
i don't mind the bulk, i carry a big (jansport ranier ext. frame) pack.

chickenwing
07-21-2011, 21:50
That is a really nice looking setup.

OutandBack
07-21-2011, 21:54
fraid so, both are 7' by 5.5' and fleece is some heavy stuff, TQ=33 + UQ=22.
it doesn't compress well either.
i don't mind the bulk, i carry a big (jansport ranier ext. frame) pack.

Well I still think there really cool. I've always liked fleece.
I'll bet a strap type compressor sack would help reduce the bulk.

flatline
07-22-2011, 07:54
i used the TQ like an armless "snuggie" for a few mins, in the lazy boy. my wife saw it and took it over, Bonus!

Steve D
07-22-2011, 09:36
Peachy...just peachy...something else for my want list.. :shades:

Just the ticket for our summers...

NewtonGT
07-22-2011, 14:36
this thread got me thinking alot about fleece

flatline
07-22-2011, 15:44
Peachy...just peachy...something else for my want list.. :shades:

Just the ticket for our summers...

im gonna test it, as soon as we have a night below 80*:scared:

Catavarie
07-23-2011, 02:26
im gonna test it, as soon as we have a night below 80*:scared:

So in other words, October. :cool:

flatline
07-23-2011, 07:17
maybe?
i'm gonna have to build an indoor ham stand.

olddog
07-23-2011, 11:30
Being new to hammocking and with limited funds most of my gear is DIY. After returning a sleeping bag, which was just too bulky, to WM, I found a king size fleece blanket for $10.00. This thing was huge. I cut 2 pieces 48"x 77" and 2 16" square pieces for footbox ends. I then sewed the ends into 16" deep footboxes. The 2 will sleeve together for a double. The weight is 17.8 oz each and with careful rolling will each fit into the larger of the three pack of stuff sacks from WM. I also made a sheet w/footbox to fit the blanket. A TQ is in the planning and these will be relugated to indoor use. I did find that on the trail they are a magnet for leaves and such.

NewtonGT
07-23-2011, 15:35
I do like fleece though. it just feels so nice haha :D

flatline
07-23-2011, 15:37
Being new to hammocking and with limited funds most of my gear is DIY. After returning a sleeping bag, which was just too bulky, to WM, I found a king size fleece blanket for $10.00. This thing was huge. I cut 2 pieces 48"x 77" and 2 16" square pieces for footbox ends. I then sewed the ends into 16" deep footboxes. The 2 will sleeve together for a double. The weight is 17.8 oz each and with careful rolling will each fit into the larger of the three pack of stuff sacks from WM. I also made a sheet w/footbox to fit the blanket. A TQ is in the planning and these will be relugated to indoor use. I did find that on the trail they are a magnet for leaves and such.

that sounds like a cool deal.
the fleece i have is heavy/thick stuff. i know what you mean about beeing a mag for debris. then again i,myself, am a mag for debris also.:lol:

Ears
07-23-2011, 16:25
that is a sweet idea, what do you think the temp rating will be? im a newb and im trying to guage degrees altho poorly,

wondering what temp dictates what uq tq and such. and then the conversion from fleece to down..... Rah

olddog
07-23-2011, 17:03
I'm in Florida so temps aren't what they are for others. On a Richloam hike last spring here in central Florida we woke to 32 Degrees. I had a PLUQ(poncho liner under quilt), sheet, 1 layer of fleece and polypro underwear. Slept comfortable but the second layer of fleece would have been nice.

Ears
07-23-2011, 17:09
very nice, got a general idea. ty, plus i like the subdued style.

Steve D
07-23-2011, 21:34
Actually I made myself a fleece TQ for cooler summer nights a couple of months back. I've had a couple of opportunities to try it out and like it so far but haven't had much chance to try to figure out its upper and lower limits.

Have enough fleece left over to make a couple of summer-weight UQs but need to get some more ripstop and find some time.

Me and my oldest daughter are headed up to Young Harris College in NE Georgia this coming weekend for Homecoming (I'm a YHC alum and she's a freshman this fall) and we're going to hang Friday night (her first overnight hang)...lows are supposed to be in the mid 60s to I'll have a chance to enjoy the fleece TQ and the PLUQ...and hopefully no skeeters!

flatline
07-24-2011, 07:14
sounds like perfect "fleece" weather.

zirk
07-24-2011, 08:45
I had the idea to do a fleece UQ/TQ set after sleeping on top of one of the kids fleece sleeping bags in my hammock last summer. I had some wally world rip stop and went to my new favorite store Joanns, where they had camo fleece made just for Joanns, with my 40 or 50% off cupon from the Sunday Paper circular. Below are the pics. UQ is 54" x 44" and TQ is 71" x 44" , was supposed to be 72" but was cutting from a long piece and after it had unstretched it was only 71", oh well. Also had enough fleece left over to make a hat to sleep in. Went to Sebago Lake State park with all my new toys in the worst heat wave in a long time so didn't get a chance to really test them out. My next attempt will be ice pack TQ/UQ for heat wave situations. Did use the TQ @ 4 or 5AM when it finally got cool and it was more than enough in the 75 deg temp.

Raven-US
07-24-2011, 09:04
you do nice work, zirk!

Steve D
07-24-2011, 09:13
Very nice indeed!!

flatline
07-24-2011, 09:31
awesome job zirk.

olddog
07-24-2011, 09:53
Zirk, can you give the weight and an idea of the packed dimensions. Yours looks good, I may revisit the fleece. What I used out of the blanket was a little stiff and heavier than the softer fleece. Thanks.

zirk
07-24-2011, 10:56
The universal standard of the nalgeen bottle which is 8" x 3.5" diam. or a grand trunk traveler 8" x 4.5" diam next is UQ which is 10" x 4.5" diam and then the TQ which is 12" x 5.5" diam. I dont have a scale for small stuff but will take it to the Post Office and have it "checked prior to mailing" ;);) !!

As stated above a compression stuff sack would get these smaller but they aren't totally unreasonable as shown.

olddog
07-24-2011, 13:27
That looks quite a bit smaller than one of my fleece quilts will roll.

zirk
07-24-2011, 14:21
Here are some more pics for comparison. I have a 7.5" x 15" mesh stuff sack.
The TQ fills the sack (2) and with a little push the drawstring can be closed. (3) the UQ is loose in the sack and does not fill it(4) and there is still room when it is pushed in a little (5)

I'll try to get weights asap and post them.

The Fleece as I said was camo made for Joanns Fabric and on the edge it said that. I don't know what weight it was supposed to be so don't know how it compares to what you or others used.

zirk
07-25-2011, 14:00
UQ 1 lb 3 oz
TQ 1 lb 4.7 oz
Courtesy of the US Post Office

olddog
07-25-2011, 21:08
Thanks Zirk, that's comprable, mine are 17.8 without the ripstop. I keep one hanging over the stand within reach just in case.

zirk
08-08-2011, 07:40
Had a chance to test TQ & UQ last week at unplanned church camp sleepout. The weather was about 85 during the day down to 60's at night. Used the TQ in the cabin during the early morning hours with great success. HOWEVER, when we slept out at "Lookout Mountain" (Camp Name) which is a small hill with a granite outcropping things didn't go so well. I set up my grand Trunk Traveler and put the UQ in the bottom as I havent gotten the shock cord for the suspension yet. I got settled in and under the TU and was almost hot for a short while. There was a steady breeze coming up the rock face under me. After about 45 Min I started to shiver. I checked my fingers and toes which were both warm and got up and put on my fleece hat. This helped for about another half hour but it had cooled some more and I was again warm on top but cold on the bottom. I would dose off only to awaken with the shivers. About 1 am I dropped the hammock to the ground (GASP!!@!@!) and was instantly warm enough to slep the rest of the night. I am not sure how much difference suspending the UQ under the hammock will make, but that will be the next test.

flatline
08-08-2011, 17:03
cool report, thanks for sharing.

i'm still looking forward to testing mine out.
i don't think i'll have a chance until late september.

ljcsov
09-06-2011, 19:35
I'm really curious as to the temp ratings on these!! I am debating making some stuff out of polartec 300 or similar.

flatline
09-06-2011, 20:28
I'm really curious as to the temp ratings on these!! I am debating making some stuff out of polartec 300 or similar.

the coolest that it has been around here (since i've had the fleece tq/uq) is 63* and that was no problem.
i can't wait for the 50s and 40* to truly test.

NewtonGT
09-06-2011, 23:08
the coolest that it has been around here (since i've had the fleece tq/uq) is 63* and that was no problem.
i can't wait for the 50s and 40* to truly test.

50s and 40s? I almost danced tonight when it got to 64 haha :cool:

sigma_pete
09-13-2011, 08:26
... There was a steady breeze coming up the rock face under me. After about 45 Min I started to shiver. ... I would dose off only to awaken with the shivers. ... I am not sure how much difference suspending the UQ under the hammock will make, but that will be the next test.

My experience has been similar. Suspending the underquilt, instead of laying on it, makes a HUGE difference. When I first started hanging, I was laying on a 0* bag and felt like I was suffering from hyperthermia at 40-50* due to cold butt syndrome. Whereas, I'm now using 2 suspended poncho liners (folded in half, overlapping each other from opposite directions to somewhat trap air) and another one as a top quilt to go quite comfortably into the low/mid 30's. It doesn't get cold to often in coastal Florida, so I'm not sure how low I can go this way.

KerMegan
09-13-2011, 08:41
Had a chance to test TQ & UQ last week at unplanned church camp sleepout. The weather was about 85 during the day down to 60's at night. Used the TQ in the cabin during the early morning hours with great success. HOWEVER, when we slept out at "Lookout Mountain" (Camp Name) which is a small hill with a granite outcropping things didn't go so well. I set up my grand Trunk Traveler and put the UQ in the bottom as I havent gotten the shock cord for the suspension yet. I got settled in and under the TU and was almost hot for a short while. There was a steady breeze coming up the rock face under me. After about 45 Min I started to shiver. I checked my fingers and toes which were both warm and got up and put on my fleece hat. This helped for about another half hour but it had cooled some more and I was again warm on top but cold on the bottom. I would dose off only to awaken with the shivers. About 1 am I dropped the hammock to the ground (GASP!!@!@!) and was instantly warm enough to slep the rest of the night. I am not sure how much difference suspending the UQ under the hammock will make, but that will be the next test.

situation question; was this straight up fleece, or did it have a nylon/DWR/ripstop layer? fleece by itself is not much of a wind block, (unless you spring for polartec 'windstopper', which I think is not the case)and moving air will suck the heat right up out of you...
ps re-read and noticed fleece was between you and hammock; so heat loss by conduction to the outer layer was likely a big factor..

zirk
09-13-2011, 20:47
Kermegan

I was using the nylon covered fleece that I made shown earlier in this thread so I had 2 layers of nylon and the fleece plus shirt between me and the moving air. Now I have 1/8 th bungee cord to suspend the UQ with and will have a chance this weekend to test it out. Will report back.

flatline
09-13-2011, 21:17
i'm taking my fleece set down to Fernandina Bch Fl for a week to test it's absorbency.:mellow:

nothermark
09-13-2011, 21:18
I keep thinking about making one with a layer of fleece and a second layer that buttons in with climashield or similar.

flatline
10-15-2011, 08:11
i finally got to test my fleece for low temp comfort.
using my UQP in addition to my unbacked fleece UQ and my fleece TQ w/1.1 shell,
wearing jeans and long sleeve cotton tee shirt and a fleece hat and cotton socks.
i found that 42-43* is the low end of the comfort range.
i could feel the chill when i bent a knee far enough to make the TQ tight against my knee.

all in all, i'm very happy with the functionality,
when temps drop below the fleeces range, it comes inside as a throw blanket.
when the weather gets super cold, i can add it to my TQ.

thanks to WL for putting this set together for me. :cool:

Fish<><
10-16-2011, 01:03
Thanks for the update, I was following this thread for about a month. It sounds to me like it has about the same specs as a poncho liner would have. If I could I would probably also make a fleece uq at bare minimum, but might just enlist the help of WL now to make a set for me when the time comes. Thank you for the report flatline.