PDA

View Full Version : What should I bring for my first hang?

bmwrider
07-23-2011, 23:52
I want to find a better way to sleep so I'm trying a hammock, my HH backpacker should be here tue the 26th, what should I bring with me to get the most comfort for my judgement trip.
It won't be cold, should be an avarage michigan night in say late aug. early sep. I'm trying to get my stuff together now for the first trip with a hammock.

I have all the backpacking gear I could need through work, (REI) its just my first night and this trip will be the one to judge my idea to use a hammock, I don't want to make mistakes and decide I don't like hammocks due to doing things wrong.
I just want to know the stuff that is usually done wrong the first time out.

JalapeņoBen
07-24-2011, 00:05
Got your suspension and tarp?

Bring milk... 'cuz ya gonna sleep like a baby, brah.

Happy Hangin'
Ben

trailryder42
07-24-2011, 00:36
I'd say the first "obvious or maybe not" mistakes to avoid are to make sure you set up with hang (strap) angles of the recommended range(30-35* I believe).

Having a pillow of some sort for my head is a must for comfort.

Try different configurations to see what is most comfortable for you. Level, head slightly higher than feet and feet slightly higher than head.

DaleW
07-24-2011, 00:55
Bottom insulation. You will need something unless it is +70F. Try it at home before you hit the trail.

dragon360
07-24-2011, 01:03
Patience. First nights are not always the best. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it close to right but you get there.

millarky
07-24-2011, 01:38
Patience. First nights are not always the best. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it close to right but you get there.

so true. took me a few times but once i got dialed in zzzzzzzzzzzzz

body942
07-24-2011, 04:28
+1 on bottom insulation. That seemed like the only part that was foreign to me as a dedicated (pre-hammock) ground sleeper. Took some tweaking, and don't write off an awkward first night, but now I'm sleeping as good as I do in my bed at home. Enjoy.

NewtonGT
07-24-2011, 04:44
its all about practice man. It took me well over 6 nights before I got comfy in it

FLRider
07-24-2011, 04:54
Stuff I've found out:

1.) Try it in the backyard before going out into the piney wilderness. Hammocks have a slightly sharper learning curve than most shelter systems (in my opinion). It's worth spending a night or two learning the tricks before depending on it as a shelter.

2.) I also have a Hennessy; make sure that the ridgeline is mostly taut but still has enough sag in it that you can take it in two fingers and turn it ninety degrees while you are lying in the hammock. That means that you have the correct tension on the hammock.

3.) Make sure that you hit that thirty-degree hang. It makes sooooooo much difference.

4.) I've found that having my foot end a little higher than my head end improves my sleep, but some folks think different. Try multiple combinations before deciding on one.

5.) Learn to set up your tarp! Quickly! Trust me, nothing sucks worse than getting soaked when you know that you could've had your tarp up in less than a minute. I recommend keeping your tarp in the snakeskins (if you ordered direct from HH, rather than through a store, one set should come gratis) rather than the hammock. It's more important that you can set up your weather shelter quickly than it is that you can set up your sleep system quickly.

6.) Keep a drybag stuffed with clothes, a rolled-up CCF pad, or some other pillow-type object (heck, even a real inflatable pillow here will work :lol:) for under your knee. At least, if you sleep like I do. I don't ever need a pillow for my head; the hammock supports it perfectly. However, I find that my left knee hyperextends if I don't have something under it.

7.) Have fun. Really, that's what this is all about.

Roche
07-24-2011, 08:10
Having lived in the Great Lakes State for 17 years you have chosen a great time for perfect sleeping weather - in a tent with a sleeping bag. It can get crisp at night.

Good advice from the other posters. Bottom insulation is a must. Experiment in the backyard or at a local park (near your car). And give it a few times.

BrianWillan
07-24-2011, 10:26
Bottom insulation. You will need something unless it is +70F. Try it at home before you hit the trail.

+1 on this. There is a learning curve to setting up your hammock for the most comfort. Try it out several times. If you can, take it to a park or somewhere close by your home that has several sets of trees and setup you hammock using several different pairs of trees. This will give you practice in setting up your hammock for comfort in different area.

Have fun on your trip.

Cheers

Brian

bmwrider
07-24-2011, 16:27
Thanks so much folks, I already love this forum and I've only been on it for a week or so.

Ok,
1. practice setup
2. 30* angle for hang
3. 2 fingers on ridgeline turned 90* while in hammock
4. pillow for under knees to avoid hyperextension if needed

This is what I wanted to know, I have learned this little thing make such a big difference, I'm not used to being new at something, its kinda weird:)

FLRider
07-24-2011, 17:17
Hey, everybody starts somewhere. Don't sweat it; I'm still pretty new to this myself.

Hope you have fun!

MAD777
07-24-2011, 18:01
Summer is a great time to begin hanging. The backyard (or near the car in a state park) is a good place for a first night. You can have tons of backup stuff with you like extra carabiners, etc.

Beast 71
07-24-2011, 18:07
I'm not used to being new at something, its kinda weird:)

It's a great thing to be new at and you've found a great resource to ask questions and bounce ideas off of!

Red Wing
07-24-2011, 18:30
bottom insulation for sure.. even a blue close cell foam pad from Wally World. tarp and some tensioners. probably want a pack leashh so you dont have to put your gear on the ground. definitely a pillow for your neck. (even clothes in a dry bag).

bloomgorge
07-24-2011, 18:59
when's your trip....if you want to get together one weekend morning we can set it up.

bmwrider
07-24-2011, 23:38
If you wanna do say a fri after work for an overnight I could do that without planning to much ahead, for anything more I have to put in for the time off.

Catavarie
07-25-2011, 00:23
As others have stated bottom insulation. And although you may be stuck with using a pad for your first time out, it may not be as comfortable as a proper under quilt. Some people love using a pad, although I believe they are in the majority of hammockers. Most everyone prefers the underquilt as it just seems to feel better and more natural. But HYOH (Hang Your Own Hang) :cool:

salamander42
07-25-2011, 22:39
I agree with everyone else who's already mentioned bottom insulation.

I'd also say you should read up on suspension options and upgrade your suspension if you have the funds available. A few people already have mentioned that your first set up is probably going to take some tweaking, and that will be much easier and less frustrating if you don't have to tie and untie and retie your knots a bunch of times before you get it right. Jacks R Better sells a complete suspension set here (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/HammockSuspensionSystem.htm). This is what I originally bought to replace my stock Hennessey suspension. I've made some changes since then but that gave me a good starting point and made set up much easier for me.

Also, I'd like to note that on the Hennesseys a number of people, including myself, tend to think that a 30 degrees on the hang angle is a little too loose. Give it a try, but you ma find that something more like 25 degrees works better for you as well. Don't go too tight though, or you can end up putting too much stress on your suspension and ridge line and even your trees, if they're at the smaller end of the usable spectrum.

alacamper
07-25-2011, 23:27
looks like you got a lot of tips use some of them or all of them just make sure you let us know how it goes. happy trails and happy hanging!!!!

Wags
07-25-2011, 23:57
your camera :D

bmwrider
07-26-2011, 15:29
your camera :D

Of all the gear I own, which is far too much, my cool water proof impact resistant camera is the one thing I can't seem to find.

Trooper
07-27-2011, 21:01
Thanks so much folks, I already love this forum and I've only been on it for a week or so.

Ok,
1. practice setup
2. 30* angle for hang
3. 2 fingers on ridgeline turned 90* while in hammock
4. pillow for under knees to avoid hyperextension if needed

This is what I wanted to know, I have learned this little thing make such a big difference, I'm not used to being new at something, its kinda weird:)

The 30° angle and 90° tension test comes from Warbonnet's instructions. A Hennessy might do a little better with less than 30°. In contrast, the DD hammock suggests "it should be tied reasonably tight (so its almost a straight line from tree to tree with no-one inside) and should rest just above sitting height." (http://www.ddhammocks.com/tips) Hennessy doesn't seem to have much guidance on this, but I think they are similar to the DD's in design. Ultimately, the angle that is comfortable for you is the right one.

Don't forget bottom insulation--it can't be stressed enough. Foam pads are the least expensive and perfectly adequate until you can enjoy the luxury of an underquilt.

Str1der
07-28-2011, 09:27
Unfortunately most (not all) hammockers agree that the most comfortable form of bottom insulation is an underquilt, not pads. If you are forced to use pads, just be aware that you likely have not yet fully tapped into the maximum comfort a hammock can provide. You should still be far more comfortale than in a tent though.

Have fun!

bradclarkston
07-28-2011, 09:35
The 30° angle and 90° tension test comes from Warbonnet's instructions. A Hennessy might do a little better with less than 30°. In contrast, the DD hammock suggests "it should be tied reasonably tight (so its almost a straight line from tree to tree with no-one inside) and should rest just above sitting height." (http://www.ddhammocks.com/tips) Hennessy doesn't seem to have much guidance on this, but I think they are similar to the DD's in design. Ultimately, the angle that is comfortable for you is the right one.

I've had my DD Hammcock up for a week now and I'd bet the " almost a straight line from tree to tree with no-one inside" recommendation is because the stock rope sucks so ungodly bad. I had read it has "some" stretch but my god it was like using bungee cords. You just couldn't use a ridge line with them and you need a wench to tighten them on the tree.

I've switched to tree huggers/dutch clips+whoopie slings+continuous loop/descender rings and setting up a 30° ridge line doesn't seem to be an issue.

Two Tents
07-28-2011, 09:45
Don't forget breakfast. Oohh and be sure not to forget second breakfast. If you wake up cold in the night grab a snack out of the storage thingy to fuel the furnace! Something to drink is always nice too.

oldgringo
07-28-2011, 09:47
Warning: Initiates will be required to run laps in full hiking gear.