PDA

View Full Version : Slow to ship

07-25-2011, 18:28
Talked to Dale on Wednesday morning was told the Hikers bedroll was in stock and would ship right away. I ordered Wednesday, and promptly received my order confirmation. I eagerly awaited my shipping confirmation but it did not arrive on Wednesday. I called and his voice mail box was full. I called again on Thursday left a message but got no call back. I called again Friday spoke to him and was told he would ship Friday. I then got an email stating he was going out of town and would ship Monday.. I got a email from Paypal on Monday stating it had shipped but the USPS doesn't show yet... I'm pretty understanding when it comes to cottage industries but you gotta do better brother... I sure hope it's worth the wait!

Ewker
07-26-2011, 09:23
hopefully Dale will respond to you on here. bad news travels faster than good news and cottage industries don't need that

Bomber
07-26-2011, 09:29
Must be the holiday season... where i live 47% of all people is on vacation right now - makes it close to impossible to run a business.

johnnyh88
07-26-2011, 09:36
Sorry man, that can be frustrating. That has not been my experience with Tree to Trail Gear though.

I ordered a Baby Orca IX UQ from them on Sunday and I got an e-mail this morning saying it shipped. The USPS confirmation numbers always take awhile to activate. I also got a small refund because I was over-charged for shipping! Pretty happy customer here - hopefully my UQ arrives before the weekend so I can try it out :D

more
07-26-2011, 16:40
I'll chime in and say that I have also had a good experience with TtTTG. I ordered a Switchback 1.9 SL on 7/13 and got a shipping confirmation message today. I never tried calling, but I don't really do that too often. I feel that the internet is a black box that you push money into and eventually pull gear out of.

aztech
07-26-2011, 23:43
patience is a virtue, dont worry you'll have it sooner or later why bother making them look bad?

Wags
07-27-2011, 09:44
i don't get why people on this forum make the buyer out to be this "bad guy" for calling out some of the cottage vendors.

HE SAID IT WOULD SHIP FRIDAY AND IT DID NOT.

Ewker
07-27-2011, 10:39
i don't get why people on this forum make the buyer out to be this "bad guy" for calling out some of the cottage vendors.

^^^^^what he said.

Roadtorque
07-27-2011, 10:49

Yep, it's all about delivering good product and good customer service. Both are required for a business to succeed. One can get online and read reviews about any company/product and it helps the "buyer" choose where to make a purchase. I like the products that a lot of our Hammock Forum cottage vendors support but I order from very few of them because of wait time. Some people dont mind it, but I do so I pick a vendor that has things in stock and ship the same day.

NCPatrick
07-27-2011, 11:18
One late shipment does make or break a company. On the contrary, this particular vendor has a stellar track record. I don't see this issue worth worrying about unless a pattern of shipping delays were to emerge.

TFC Rick
07-27-2011, 11:34
I think these threads are looked at the wrong way. In my opinion this guy came in the locker room to complain to his buddies that his new "toy" wasn't coming to him as quickly as he wanted (or told it would). I don't think he is slandering the company (or not intending to at any rate) and is blowing off steam.

I think we defend the brands we like and have good experience with.

My suggestion would be to just leave them alone. If this particular thread had only one post in it, it would be long gone and forgotten by now.

My thoughts.

NCPatrick
07-27-2011, 11:41
I think these threads are looked at the wrong way. In my opinion this guy came in the locker room to complain to his buddies that his new "toy" wasn't coming to him as quickly as he wanted (or told it would). I don't think he is slandering the company (or not intending to at any rate) and is blowing off steam.

I think we defend the brands we like and have good experience with.

My suggestion would be to just leave them alone. If this particular thread had only one post in it, it would be long gone and forgotten by now.

My thoughts.

I do sympathize with the toy not coming when expected. I once waited 6-10 weeks for a toy submarine that used baking soda tablets to sink and rise in the bathtub. Worst wait of my life. I'm permanently scarred now. :p

TFC Rick
07-27-2011, 11:43
I do sympathize with the toy not coming when expected. I once waited 6-10 weeks for a toy submarine that used baking soda tablets to sink and rise in the bathtub. Worst wait of my life. I'm permanently scarred now. :p

Like the week before christmas! :D

Ramblinrev
07-27-2011, 11:47

Not to mention the time it took to collect the box tops and save the allowance before the 6 - 10 weeks.

Ewker
07-27-2011, 12:12
One late shipment does make or break a company. On the contrary, this particular vendor has a stellar track record. I don't see this issue worth worrying about unless a pattern of shipping delays were to emerge.

I'm sorry but this isn't the 1st time we have heard of their bad customer service. From not answering emails to phone calls to shipping.

It is what it is and hopefully they will take it to heart and do something about it...just sayin

JaxHiker
07-27-2011, 12:18
Not to mention the time it took to collect the box tops and save the allowance before the 6 - 10 weeks.
They've solved this problem now. A lot of times you can just buy the item outright. :) I miss opening the box and expertly extracting the toy. They don't put much of the stuff in the boxes anymore. :(

I'm sorry but this isn't the 1st time we have heard of their bad customer service. From not answering emails to phone calls to shipping.

It is what it is and hopefully they will take it to heart and do something about it...just sayin
I think one issue people don't think about or realize is that many of these cottage folk are 1- or 2-man operations. I can imagine it doesn't take too much of "life" to throw things off. Imagine you're one person and you get hit with a rush of orders. Sure, you might have some inventory so the first people get a great turnaround. Then you run out and you're scrambling to make the gear for the remaining orders. Perhaps you have a day job. Maybe a small child. Your SO gets ill. Any number of things can happen to derail the best laid plans. I doubt anyone is purposely setting out to deceive their customers.

NCPatrick
07-27-2011, 12:24

Could be that it might offer such an opportunity.

Ewker
07-27-2011, 12:30
I think one issue people don't think about or realize is that many of these cottage folk are 1- or 2-man operations. I can imagine it doesn't take too much of "life" to throw things off. Imagine you're one person and you get hit with a rush of orders. Sure, you might have some inventory so the first people get a great turnaround. Then you run out and you're scrambling to make the gear for the remaining orders. Perhaps you have a day job. Maybe a small child. Your SO gets ill. Any number of things can happen to derail the best laid plans. I doubt anyone is purposely setting out to deceive their customers.

I think 99.9% of the people on here know that the cottage folks are very small operations and have normal lives to live.

I have dealt with a quite a few cottage companies and they have let me know when things come up that disrupts their schedule. (kids being sick, vacations, work load,etc).

Communication is key and when a cottage company doesn't get back to you after emails and phone calls it will come out.

I haven't used any of the TTTG but folks on here have spoken highly on their product which is a good thing. Just sounds like their customer service needs work...IMO

R00K
07-27-2011, 12:31
Meeting Dale - he was a friendly guy, so I'm sure if there's been a delay it's for a reason.

That being said - it's completely fair to say "I was told X by one of our cottage vendors and it didn't happen," on the forums. Reputation and quality products are what make people go cottage, so posts like these help to maintain balance. If failing to hold up to your word damages your reputation, something fair actually occured in the world. If it was a misunderstanding or some sort of private crisis, I'm sure Dale will clear it up, do his best to make right by the customer, and in doing so he's given an opportunity to show potential customers that they can still feel confident in choosing him.

NCPatrick
07-27-2011, 12:47
it's completely fair to say "I was told X by one of our cottage vendors and it didn't happen," on the forums. Reputation and quality products are what make people go cottage, so posts like these help to maintain balance. If failing to hold up to your word damages your reputation, something fair actually occured in the world. If it was a misunderstanding or some sort of private crisis, I'm sure Dale will clear it up, do his best to make right by the customer, and in doing so he's given an opportunity to show potential customers that they can still feel confident in choosing him.

I agree with holding the cottage industries responsible for good customer service, as long as we are not holding them to a higher standard than that of their bigger competitors due to the access we have to them.

thegreatjesse
07-27-2011, 12:53
My experience with TtTTG has been awesome - great turnaround time on orders, easy-to-use website, good products, etc.

However -

I appreciate threads like these, because they illustrate the issues that arise when dealing with cottage industries. Personally, I'm very impressed by any business that can be run by a single individual through the manufacturing, advertising, and the shipping processes. Problems arise when a single (or few) individual(s) CANNOT, efficiently, manufacture, advertise, and ship products. In this instance, the customer was given a ship date for an item and the item was not shipped by that date. That is poor customer service, regardless of the size of the company. If poor customer service bothers you, then threads such as these should benefit you. While detrimental to the reputation of the business, feedback is important, and the business should grow from that feedback. Perhaps TtTTG will consider paying the kid up the block to run some packages to the post office when orders get backed up. Maybe a boy scout would like to learn the industry or earn a few bucks stuffing packages or sewing a few stitches. If the business is growing and receiving an overwhelming number of orders, perhaps a part-time employee would be not only feasible, but ultimately rewarding.

I see threads like these in much of the section regarding cottage industries, and I always read them. People are quick to praise small businesses for their great service and attention to detail, but are often reluctant to complain - though we should encourage both positive and negative feedback. Minimizing or dismissing someone's experience as irrelevant is not the proper course of action - and I'm disappointed when people do that, because I find this information helpful.

Acer
07-27-2011, 13:12
hummm,,not adding fuel to the fire,,but why not? I ordered a set of 6' tree straps on the 13,,on the 21st finally got a email reply the strapping material would come in Monday and he would ship and still waiting too..makes me wonder what is going on alittle even tho I don't need them right now,,and ordered them for the wife's setup of which she will use later in Aug. Not in a hurry right now,,but now wondering myself. the old saying goes " All good things comes to those that wait".

Phillipsart
07-28-2011, 05:02
Yep, it's all about delivering good product and good customer service. Both are required for a business to succeed. One can get online and read reviews about any company/product and it helps the "buyer" choose where to make a purchase. I like the products that a lot of our Hammock Forum cottage vendors support but I order from very few of them because of wait time. Some people dont mind it, but I do so I pick a vendor that has things in stock and ship the same day.

I feel the same. If I'm to give my hard earned money to someone for a product, I expect it to be sent the same day or following day after payment. Sometimes I do make an exception for a great product, such as a Warbonnet hammock, it does mention on there website that in stock items can take upto one week before delivery. I'm waiting on my first hammock from Warbonnet, can't wait to try it out for the first time, I hope it's worth the wait.

MAD777
07-28-2011, 05:49
Shipping by the next business day should be expected for mega corporations that have 100% computer controlled inventory and stocked warehouses - Walmart for example. Actually, Walmart is the slowest shipper I've ever dealt with of the big companies and even gave up and cancelled an order once.

But to me, the cottage industry is a whole different ballgame. I order from them knowing that production/delivery times are fluid for all the reasons mentioned in previous posts. However, I happily place my orders and wait patiently knowing that I will receive a product that is unique or the quality is beyond what I can buy in the mainstream marketplace.

That being said, I would expect even a cottage manufacturer to send me an email if there are undue delays or an update if a previous date had been agreed to. Then, all would be well with me.

Ramblinrev
07-28-2011, 06:54
Shipping by the next business day should be expected for mega corporations that have 100% computer controlled inventory and stocked warehouses

One of the issues that plays into this scenario is something that the customer may have no awareness of. There are different shopping carts and different structures which govern them. Most small business shopping carts are run through e-commerce portals. Some are set up to received the order and immediately send out an order confirmation from the portal in the name of the vendor. The orders are then transferred to the vendor in a number of different ways. Some are batch processed where the orders are passed on either at a particular time or when a certain number of orders have been received.

Other portals pass on the order in real time. You place the order and it is immediately redirected to the vendor. Some times the portal sends an order confirmation. Some times the vendor sends the order confirmation.

The more "real time" service is involved, the higher the cost for the e-commerce service. The cheapest system would be the order is placed and stored until a preset transfer trigger is reached. Either the time each day, the same day each week or when x number of orders have been received. The most costly is the full real time service. Depending on the portal that can get quite expensive.

The point is, because you receive an order confirmation is no assurance the vendor has received the order. That's just the way things are in the e-commerce world.

JaxHiker
07-28-2011, 08:14
But to me, the cottage industry is a whole different ballgame. I order from them knowing that production/delivery times are fluid for all the reasons mentioned in previous posts. However, I happily place my orders and wait patiently knowing that I will receive a product that is unique or the quality is beyond what I can buy in the mainstream marketplace.

That being said, I would expect even a cottage manufacturer to send me an email if there are undue delays or an update if a previous date had been agreed to. Then, all would be well with me.

Well said. I had a similar issue with a vendor recently. I was told it would take 2 weeks. A month later and days from my trip I still didn't have it. Communication was sporadic but they made good and shipped it overnight. In the end I would still do business with them in the future.

I can certainly understand the frustration especially when there's a lack of communication. I do agree that if something comes up that'll impact production/delivery the customer(s) should be kept informed.

I do tend to give the small guys a lot more leeway, though. ymmv. As always we can always vote with our wallet.

RockChucker30
07-28-2011, 09:19
I'm in sales and this thread reminds me of lessons I've learned....

1. Under promise and over deliver - if you think it'll be ready in a week, tell the customer a week and a half.

2. Communicate - especially bad news. It's more important to communicate bad news quickly than it is to communicate good news.

Darby
07-28-2011, 16:55
I agree with everybody. I dropped the ball. It has happened a few times here lately and it really shouldn't have. I do truly apologize to all who have been affected.

We have been extremely busy trying to keep the orders moving as fast as possible. We have been swamped with orders all across the board, and keeping the shelves filled has been a real challenge. We will be updating the website tonight with the hammocks and quilts that are ready.

Cheers, Dale

TFC Rick
07-28-2011, 17:38
There you go guys. Classy Dale. Hope it all works out for you. It took guts to jump into this thread.

^shane^
07-28-2011, 17:44
I agree with everybody. I dropped the ball. It has happened a few times here lately and it really shouldn't have. I do truly apologize to all who have been affected.

We have been extremely busy trying to keep the orders moving as fast as possible. We have been swamped with orders all across the board, and keeping the shelves filled has been a real challenge. We will be updating the website tonight with the hammocks and quilts that are ready.

Cheers, Dale

Never a doubt Dale. I'd come over and help out if I lived close. You make great gear.

Dutch
07-28-2011, 17:47
Keeping up with orders can be such a challenge. I know Darby as a stand up guy and he is super human. If anyone can get it done, he can.

RockChucker30
07-28-2011, 20:31
Dale,

Got my SB 1.9 SL today....I LOVE it. I think it'll be a lot more comfortable for me than the WBBB.

Thanks for switching me from a 1.1 DL to the 1.9 SL after I ordered too. I saved around 7 ounces, and this one is coming in at the exact weight of my WBBB 1.1 DL -- 1 lb 14 oz with huggers, dutch clips, and whoopies.

Very well built product.

Wags
07-28-2011, 22:00

Cheers, Dale

That's the right thing to say right there. Thank you...

Ewker
07-28-2011, 22:25
There you go guys. Classy Dale. Hope it all works out for you. It took guts to jump into this thread.

no it didn't take guts to jump into this thread. It is called customer service..geesh

NCPatrick
07-29-2011, 06:39
I think this has pretty much run its course. OP was answered by the vendor, everyone had time to post an opinion or two.

Next.

Ewker
07-29-2011, 08:04
shut it down (in my best Gordon Ramsey voice) :lol:

Hooch
07-29-2011, 08:13
shut it down (in my best Gordon Ramsey voice) :lol:http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/06/11/article-1192181-04E5D031000005DC-530_468x498.jpg

Ewker
07-29-2011, 08:38
^^^^^^^perfect!!!!!

08-02-2011, 16:42
Well now... I didn't expect four pages of replies... Bottom line... Set the customers expectations properly...regardless of the size of the business... Responding in the forum would have been better if he had called me or emailed me but no luck. I think the purpose of this forum is to provide honest feedback to other hangers not to either promote, protect or bash a vendor. Honestly, the service before the sale was better than the service after the sale. I'm not mad, just a bit disappointed. BTW the quilt is nice...

SoCalBB
08-02-2011, 17:11
Well-- i just got my 1.9dl yesterday(that thing is art).. Took a few extra days cause they were oos whe I ordered.. But i knew that going in and didnt mind the extra days.. Shipped on thurs arrived on monday... Couldn't be happier..

just an opinion-- i think its cool the way dale just stepped up and said "opps was my mistake"... In this day and age of people making excuses to blame everyone else for their mistake--- its nice to see someone just say what happened-- apologized and moved on to make everything right.. Another thought-- since these companies we like to deal with that are smaller in nature---- we have to realize-- they are just people... They (imagine this) go hiking and camping and are gone for a few days at times.. So if i dont get a response right way-- i usually give it a few days then follow up.. haha-- half the fun is the adventure in getting the gear :lol:

jima59
08-16-2011, 20:13
Ive ordered a couple of times from them with no problems. I'm glad they are accepting responsibility for any goofup. As to usps not responding to the shipping thing, I've always found that to be very slow. I've actually had things delivered, from other stores, that got here before usps showed them as in their system. Not making excuses for anyone but glad people did step up.