PDA

View Full Version : Overnighter at Morrow Mountain SP

NCPatrick
03-19-2008, 08:18
Yep, I got one chance last Sunday and I ran for the hills. I had enough time to get to Morrow Mountain State Park and hike in to the primitive campsites there. Spent the afternoon, night, hung around for breakfast, and then headed back home. Short trip, but a much needed getaway.

Here are some pics (http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/MorrowMountainSPMarch2008)...

headchange4u
03-19-2008, 08:49
Nice pics as usual. There were certainly a lot of critters around. Must have been fairly warm temps if the reptiles were out and about.

NCPatrick
03-19-2008, 08:50
It was warm during the day, but dropped into the high 30's, low 40's that night. I saw a lot of deer that evening and next morning, but those were the only reptiles I saw for the whole trip.

eflat7
03-19-2008, 13:17
Or the Uwharries, I would like to tag along. I was traveling this week and this weekend and didnt even know you were heading up.

NCPatrick
03-19-2008, 13:31
I wasn't sure myself until the last possible minute. Usually I can plan further ahead, but it was either go for it or miss my chance completely. I'll be glad to let you know next time, and 4D's too.

slowhike
03-19-2008, 22:41
a fence swift & an anole if i'm not mistaken... cool.

TDunc
03-20-2008, 05:54
Yep, I got one chance last Sunday and I ran for the hills. I had ......

Glad you made it... Great pics.

I ended up in Greensboro Sunday morning at the civic center at a competition that my daughter was in. Ended up buying me another pair of hiking boots..... Go figure.

gunn parker
03-20-2008, 07:22
Thanks for the photos, it's nice to see pics of other areas and what a nice looking area. It would be so nice to have a lake to hang near.
Why do you guys call them "primitive" camp sites??

Thanks for sharing
Gunn

NCPatrick
03-20-2008, 07:39
Well, they are "primitive" when compared to the "family" (car camping) campsites at the N.C. State Parks, which generally consist of: picnic table, tent pad (crushed gravel type dirt), fire pit with moveable grill attached, and sometimes a pole to hang a lantern on... they're usually near a bathhouse of some sort, and you park your car in a parking space right at the campsite. You occupy an available site, and a Ranger comes at dusk to register you at the site and take your camping fees. It's common for folks to use their cars as gear and food supply storage, and to never fully unpack it for the duration of the trip (car camping).

The "primitive" campsites are usually designated backcountry sites that you hike to, they may or may not have a pit toilet or privy nearby. Usually you have to register (get a permit) to stay at these sites at the park office, and the (smaller) fees are collected at that point.

This is probably more than you wanted to know... :)