PDA

View Full Version : My section hike

Doctari
03-19-2008, 19:21
OK, I have 28 days (as of about 10 AM today) to go till I leave for my section hike.

Except for a planned one night stay at Kincora, I plan on spending EVERY night in my hammock. I may even sleep in my hammock at Kincora if I can find a place to put it.

I think I can stick with the stay only in the hammock, all 24* days less the Kincora stop. I am even planning on "Passin thru" Damascus.

At least that is the plan :rolleyes:

*I'll be gone 27, but only hiking 24.

Coffee
03-19-2008, 19:22
Come on, shelters are awesome. You know you want to do it. Say it with me, I will stay in a shelter.

slowhike
03-19-2008, 22:44
Come on, shelters are awesome. You know you want to do it. Say it with me, I will stay in a shelter.

don't listen to him doc... he's mixed up man:eek: :p :D

headchange4u
03-20-2008, 07:52
I hope that you have a great hike. Stay safe.

NCPatrick
03-20-2008, 07:58
Are you going to have an online trail journal for us to follow? I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Coffee
03-20-2008, 11:36
I'm pretty sure that he isn't doing any TJ.

I hope it rains for you. Now that I think about it north of Kincora there was no water when I went from from Wataga dam shelter for around 20+ miles until close to the road 2 shelters north.

NCPatrick
03-20-2008, 11:40
No records kept, no snowman war stories...

Doctari
03-22-2008, 10:54
No trail journal, at least while I'm hiking.

But I will post a a day by day & a summary here when I get home.

Hopefully it will be too warm for the snowmen to get to me, I barely escaped from their last attack :eek:

I actually hope it rains every night, with lots & lots of THUNDER. But I would prefer to hike with the sun overhead.

My hanging gear:
Two 6.5' long 1.25" wide nylon straps ala "tree huggers"
Skeeter Beeter Hammock with a spectra cord ridgeline.
Nylon Tarp that used to be a "Neo tarp" from SG.
Hammock Engineer made hammock sock.
Ray Way quilt with Alpine update as an over quilt.
KAQ Patomic underquilt.
Just in case: My oversized sit pad doubles as extra insulation if it gets cold.
8" x 8" fleece pillow case.

I am considering putting the gear hammock back on, but I don't know. I like the gear hammock, but was rarely using it. Havn't taken it last 3 trips, didn't miss it, so, , , , , ,

Most nights I'll be sleeping in shorts & tee shirt, my "PJs".

The plan is to hit Kincora around April 22ish, then Damascus around the 27th or 28th. I aint going to hurry, just as long as I make it to Atkins VA by May 10th (about 7.6 MPD).

Doctari.

Doctari
04-14-2008, 11:06
I leave THURSDAY AM!!!!!
Will be on the trail by about 9AM Friday.

My boss said he was going to have a stroke while I am gone. I can't decide if I'm actually upset by this or not :p

I want to leave NOW NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!!!
But I gots to work Wed 7A to 7A.

All packed, my FSO is down to 29.5 Lbs, with 8 to 8.5 Lbs of food & 1 ltr H2O. When I get back, Im saving for a new pack (looking at the Catalyst by ULA) & a new tarp (prolly a OES rectangular). I could get the new stuff now, but then it's no money for the trip. Priority is hiking, gear secondary! So hike now, gear later!!

Coffee
04-14-2008, 11:29
Would you just leave already and stop rubbing it in! What can I say, I'm jealous.

froldt
04-14-2008, 12:52
Congrats on the trip, have a (safe) blast!

I could get the new stuff now, but then it's no money for the trip. Priority is hiking, gear secondary! So hike now, gear later!!

This is a bit of wisdom that I need to keep in mind. I can very easily get too caught up in trying to get the "right" gear, when it's not the gear that's important. What I have right now has been working for years, it won't stop working just because I've discovered something new (and lighter).

slowhike
04-14-2008, 14:31
you are taking a camera aren't you?

BillyBob58
04-14-2008, 14:50
Would you just leave already and stop rubbing it in! What can I say, I'm jealous.

Ditto! Looking forward to your trip reports.

Lost
04-14-2008, 20:17
Have a great time. By the way, I just found one of your recipes in a book - lip smacking backpacking meals!

I understand your excitment. I leave for my first section hike in...
8 days, 20hrs, 43min, 47 sec! First time I have ever taken 18 days off from work at one time. :D

T-BACK
04-15-2008, 07:30

If you have never stayed in a shelter, you owe it to yourself to spend a night enveloped in the "shelter culture". Be warned though, the dark side is a powerful force and can consume the weak and ill prepared. Don't ask me how I know this.:o

Enjoy yourself and unwind. Bring back some good pictures and memories. And one more thing, be careful out there. (I, more than most, am qualified to say that. :rolleyes: )

Good Hiking,

Doctari
04-15-2008, 09:11
Have a great time. By the way, I just found one of your recipes in a book - lip smacking backpacking meals!

I understand your excitment. I leave for my first section hike in...
8 days, 20hrs, 43min, 47 sec! First time I have ever taken 18 days off from work at one time. :D

Thanks! I hope to have a GREAT time!
IF it is the one for chapatis where it says add 2 cups water (to 2 cups flour) or something similarly stupid: I have NEVER said add that much water to that little flour. What I said was: "add water till you have a stiff dough" but somehow it got "edited", so instead of making trailside bread, you make trailside gruel. This was fixed in later issues, so you may have one that is right.

Where are you hiking at? I'm glad you arn't counting down :D

Doctari
04-15-2008, 09:18
If you have never stayed in a shelter, you owe it to yourself to spend a night enveloped in the "shelter culture". Be warned though, the dark side is a powerful force and can consume the weak and ill prepared. Don't ask me how I know this.:o

Enjoy yourself and unwind. Bring back some good pictures and memories. And one more thing, be careful out there. (I, more than most, am qualified to say that. :rolleyes: )

Good Hiking,

I have done the shelter culture thing. :eek: Likely never again :cool: I may be stopping at various shelters to fix dinner or lunch & use the privy if avalable, but then I'm movin on. I'll be passing the Wise shelter in Grason, & know of a great place to hang there, so my sleep about 100 yds from the shelter, but I aint planning anything for sure. All I know is I must be at wherever I am stopping by no later than PM May 10th, & even that is not set in stone, cause I don't need to be at work till 0700 on May 13th.

I am taking a camera. When I get the film developed, getting everything put on a CD so I can post here.

NCPatrick
04-15-2008, 09:35
Good luck with the camera. I remember the first HF Mt. Rogers hangout you had a lot of difficulty with your camera. Hopefully this time it'll go easier, batteries won't be frozen...

Doctari
04-15-2008, 15:15
Good luck with the camera. I remember the first HF Mt. Rogers hangout you had a lot of difficulty with your camera. Hopefully this time it'll go easier, batteries won't be frozen...

Yea, me too! I got a disposable, a brand I have had no problems with. Actually got 2, one will be waiting for me at Kincora. I'm doing a "Mail drop" mostly because I'll be passing within 15 miles of Kincora on my way to where i start, so "Why not?"

I am getting so excited I can't stand it. I am fighting with all I have to not go through my pack yet again. But I know for sure that if I do, I will take something important out, & forget to put it back in, something like my tree huggers.

neo
04-15-2008, 16:25
Yea, me too! I got a disposable, a brand I have had no problems with. Actually got 2, one will be waiting for me at Kincora. I'm doing a "Mail drop" mostly because I'll be passing within 15 miles of Kincora on my way to where i start, so "Why not?"

I am getting so excited I can't stand it. I am fighting with all I have to not go through my pack yet again. But I know for sure that if I do, I will take something important out, & forget to put it back in, something like my tree huggers.

:D may your hike be filled sexual fantasies of having hillary in your hammock:cool: neo

rigidpsycho
04-15-2008, 16:33
have a fun hike doc.

Peter_pan
04-15-2008, 16:46
Doctari,

Enjoy your hike.

Pan

slowhike
04-15-2008, 20:04
:D may your hike be filled sexual fantasies of having hillary in your hammock:cool: neo

now neo... that wasn't very nice<G>.

Hooch
04-15-2008, 20:07
Hey, the man wants to enjoy his hike, not walk around in a state of perpetual nausea. :D

Doctari
04-17-2008, 08:23
Hey, the man wants to enjoy his hike, not walk around in a state of perpetual nausea. :D

Too late, the cookies have been tossed :D

1 hr to go, then walkin out the door.

I just KNOW I forgot something :rolleyes:

NCPatrick
04-17-2008, 08:27
Whooohooo! Have fun! We'll hold the fort down for ya.

Coffee
04-22-2008, 22:30
I heard from Mrs. Doctari tonight. He is still plugging away and loving life. Man I hate that guy sometimes.:mad: ;)

Hooch
04-23-2008, 04:59
I heard from Mrs. Doctari tonight. He is still plugging away and loving life. Man I hate that guy sometimes.:mad: ;)
No sweat. Just wait til next winter and get even with the snowmen again. That was funny. :D

Cannibal
04-25-2008, 11:20
I can't catch him! :mad:

He is about a day and a half ahead of me and now I'm getting off the Trail to go back for Ed's hang; bummer! Thought I had him yesterday or today. Happy hiking Doctari!

Doctari
04-30-2008, 12:59
Got to Damascus 1500 Yesterday.

Stayin at the place. 9.5 more days to go afer today. Havin a great time, hanging everynight on the trail, didn' thang at Kincora or here at the place. Doin a Zero in Damascus due to knee "issues". The knee is OK now, just givin it a few extry hrs to rest.

Doctari.

headchange4u
04-30-2008, 14:12
Glad to know all is well. Enjoy the rest of your hike.

slowhike
04-30-2008, 20:35
good to hear from you doc. take care of that knee.

mataharihiker
05-01-2008, 10:56
Glad you are resting that knee...I take it you don't like mice running over your face at night which is why you are hanging rather than enjoying the shelters...:D