PDA

View Full Version : Underquilt or Super Shelter

Annie
03-20-2008, 10:34
I guess I've decided on a Hennessy - still not sure whether to get the Ultralight in the Pacific Northwest.

But what I know for sure is that I'm going to need a way of keeping warm.

Soooooo... I need either a down underquilt or a super shelter.

I can pay cash or trade a really nice new Jenny Soprano Ukulele with electric pickup and extras.

txulrich
03-20-2008, 11:37
Go for an asym model. You'll appreciate the room.

FreeTheWeasel
03-20-2008, 12:34
Greetings Annie

I have both and I live in Ashland OR. I'm not looking to sell either at the moment, but if you are in the area and want to try both to help you decide, send me a private message.

FreeTheWeasel

Annie
03-20-2008, 12:36
Thanks Weasel... I sure do appreciate the offer... but I'm getting mine today come hell or high water. I have a friend who's getting me a good discount.

Hey.. so what do you think are the major differences between the two as far as comfort?

Mule
03-20-2008, 20:38
Now for confession time...I think the HHs are great. I loved the room, I didn't like the bugnet and bottom entry. You will like a HH no matter which one you get. I know the asyms are roomy. Mule

hangnout
03-20-2008, 21:12
UQ is better but then you need a bigger tarp and maybe a weather shield and then ...............:D It ends somewhere but I have not got there yet!

Lost
03-20-2008, 21:13
That's the fun part!

Peter_pan
03-21-2008, 08:23
Annie,

Backpacking Gear test BGT has user test reports on both of the items you inquire about.... just google them...informative.

Pan

mixinmaster
03-21-2008, 08:52
I've owned both, but never really took the SS to a true field test. I sold it to acquire an UQ..............For me, (IMO) the SS system seemed to have a much larger learning curve, and the pad was to delicate for me. It also can't serve double duty as a top quilt if needed, and trying to compress the pad w/o tearing it seemed slightly problematic. With that said, some people, Billybob and others, really like the SS......

FreeTheWeasel
03-21-2008, 22:51
BillyBob is without a doubt the expert. He and I exchanged many notes over several threads while I was experimenting with the supershelter. I have had reasonable success with both but I think I like the underquilt better. I think BillyBob has gone the Peapod route.

I have enough quilts now for both my daughter and I to use when we go camping and I may get rid of the supershelter at some point. I've also considered putting the supershelter foam pad and the underquilt under the hammock on really cold days. I wouldn't use the supershelter bottom since it would compress the down. I haven't tried it yet but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Alas, I no longer live in Minnesota and I may never again see it get that cold :( sniff sniff.

So, if you can afford to purchase or make your own, I would recommend the underquilt. I think it is easier to use and less likely to develop cold spots. For warmish weather, the supershelter will work just fine. I've used both in the 40's without any problems.

Oh, I forgot to answer your question. Both are fairly comfortable and both are much better than a floating pad inside. To be fair, I've only used a 3/4 inch self inflating pad. I haven't tried an SPE or a really wide pad and those may be more comfortable. So, if i have to choose based on comfort, I'd still go with the quilt.

FreeTheWeasel

BillyBob58
03-22-2008, 08:30
Hey Guys and Gals. I'm just back from Jerusalem! Hanging ( in a hammock anyway ) would have been challenging in most places there! Annie, I did not use my Super Shelter much this winter, since I mostly experimented with the PeaPod. The only time I slept in it this fall was on a 43* night at Neo's fall get together, and later on about a 31* night in my back yard. It always worked fine for me ( not perfect, but gets the job done IMO), the basic system ( with space blanket as recommended by TH ) into the 40's with ease, and even into the 30's. By adding clothing I'm not going to sleep in, and/or the HH kidney/torso pads, I can do the 20's. By adding a cheap, low weight Garlington Insulator, I have done the high teens OK. But YMMV, for sure.

You will also get some additional rain and wind protection from the SS undercover. Just make sure you practice with it in your back yard so that you are really familiar with how it works, BEFORE you hit the trail. Trying to figure out how it works after you are already exhausted and cold after a long hike, is not recommended. Same goes for UQ's or PeaPods. ( Of course, you can't use a PeaPod on a HH with net, though you can use an UQ).

But down UQ's are just plain nice and luxurious, as long as you are confident that you can keep them dry. They cost more, but compress to a small volume and down lasts forever if stored properly. Also, the SS seems to interfere with the HH netting and the center opening, causing an uncomfortable ridge in the center bottom, and/or netting in your face, that must be worked around. This all varies with how tight you hang it, and I have always been able to work around it, but bottom line the HH is a bit more comfortable with out the SS ( except for the cold, of course). But none of this will be an issue with the UQ's.

Unless you get a really thick one, I'm not sure they are really any warmer than the SS, since many people seem to need a pad below 30 with the quilts. But, individuals report widely varying results with both. Moisture ( fog/rain/humidity) and wind will also always be a big factor.

Good luck on your decision.

Annie
03-22-2008, 11:24
Thanks so much!
Great information.
I think I've decided against the SS and I've purchased an underquilt, although I can't afford down yet.

Coffee
03-22-2008, 12:00
Annie,

It sounds like you are a little straped and only want 1 set of gear for now. One thing that I noticed is I can use the same UQ almost year around. I made a 3.5" loft quilt. Probibly mid 20's or less in rating. I use it all the time. When it is warm I can hang it a little lower or vent one of the sides. When it is colder I can add a pad.

Something to keep in mind. Going a little warmer in UQ isn't a bad thing.

SilvrSurfr
02-10-2012, 13:35
I would go with the Ultralight. They do the job fine.

This is too funny, jorgea - providing purchasing advice on a post from four years ago. I think I just wet myself.

I, too, would go with the UQ!

BillyBob58
02-10-2012, 14:00
This is too funny, jorgea - providing purchasing advice on a post from four years ago. I think I just wet myself.

I, too, would go with the UQ!

It is funny when these threads are resurrected from the dead! I guess that happens when folks are searching for info, and it is easy enough not to notice the dates. This has happened quite a lot, but 4 years may be close to a record!

But four years or not, I see that things really don't change much. :rolleyes: There I am as usual: while being newly into and loving my PeaPod, still defending the poor old HHSS as being pretty good ( works for me) for the price. And great for certain conditions, like wind/rain/snow/fog without a big tarp. I've got to find a new tune to sing, I am like a broken record! I wish it worked for all folks as well as it has worked for me, but it has not. Although, it has worked from pretty well to great for more than a few of us now.

SilvrSurfr
02-10-2012, 14:23
I think we all sound like broken records after a while. I think it's the repetitive nature of posts - people can't find the info they want, so they open a new thread - and you give the same answer you gave to all the previous threads on the same topic.

While I'm currently doing underquilt, I hope to one day have a Peapod and a SS. In fact, after reading this post, I just realized that a Peapod probably ain't gonna work too well with an integrated bugnet like on the Hennessy. Time to get another hammock for my collection!