PDA

View Full Version : Any reason not to buy the waterproof 'Travel' hammock?

Passinthru
08-01-2011, 18:17
I was about to purchase a 'Frontline' but I see a 'Travel' hammock in the 'for sale' forum. So, that raises a couple of questions.

1. The DD is already rather heavy and I see that the 'travel' hammock is almost 4 ounces heavier than the 'frontline'. Never having carried or camped with a hammock before I don't know if that is going to be a problem. Most of my camping is canoe tripping but occasional multi-day hikes.

2. Is the waterproof fabric uncomfortable (condensation)? I don't expect to be using the hammock in 'bivy' mode so dont really need the waterproof feature.

But... looks like I can save some money by buying the travel hammock off this forum as opposed to the frontline directly from DD. So, if you have any thoughts on these 2 issues - especially the condensation - please help me out here.

I did see the recent review of the Travel hammock and the comments about the breathability - a very helpful review and comments. I guess I would just like to see a little more discussion about this before I make up my mind.

turnerminator
08-02-2011, 08:32
The biggest benefit to the travel (I'm a user of over 2 years and rate it) is the ability to use it as a bivvy/bu bivvy/ groundsheet. It great to be able to sleep anywhere in it and thats what I use it for.

I don't have trouble with the condensation but its nowhere near as comfy as my breathables for pure hanging and we don't get temps as high as yours-it would be a struggle in hot weather.

If you don't want to use it as a bivvy or as a VBL hammock in really cold temps, I'd look at something else ;)

gargoyle
08-02-2011, 09:56
Carrying a seperate lightweight ground cloth for "ground camping" is another option. Carry it only when needed.

JPsax
08-03-2011, 00:55
hang in the "travel" in the summer and your going to bake in it.

My cousin Gio likes to call the aftermath "Gio soup" just putting it out there. I have layed in it for some 15 minutes and it was hell in there with no breathability.

Passinthru
08-04-2011, 10:44
Well, this hot, humid weather makes the arguments for breathability pretty convincing.
The indecision and hesitation is over - I just ordered a 'Frontline' with the sleeve.

Thanks for all the input...

bradclarkston
08-04-2011, 11:38
I didn't see any point to it. I bought the Camping Hammock and love it.

If I had to ground camp with it for some crazy reason I'd use a couple of large 3mil black trash bags as a ground cloth (which I always carry anyway).