PDA

View Full Version : Video: Tarp Flyz, Dutch Hook, and Zing-It Continuous Ridge Line Set Up

EricFromPortland
08-07-2011, 01:08
A talking hands video that quickly shows Tarp Flyz, Dutch Hook, and Zing-It Continuous Ridge Line Set Up

These items can be found here:
http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cottage-industries/dutchware/

fvjteY0Gf6Y

Avenger
08-07-2011, 06:59
Nice video. Thanks for sharing.

G.L.P.
08-07-2011, 10:33
nice video .... Dutchware ROCKS!!!!!

R00K
08-07-2011, 10:46
Can't wait to get home and watch - I use a Dutch CRL also!

jima59
08-07-2011, 15:46
I was just going online looking for a sample of how to setup my tarp ridgeline when I see this posting as the first in the forum thread. Thank you so much. Now I have to figure out how to attach the tarp to the ridgeline. I guess you use a couple of the knots that slide with the loops? Will be looking for more helpful videos.

Amand
08-07-2011, 16:09
I am running this setup and it works really well. To attach the tarp to the ridgeline if you order 2 extra dutch hooks you can use those and make a loop of cord prussic-ed to the ridgeline. There should be a video on dutch's website that shows the entire setup. I highly recommend it.

I was just going online looking for a sample of how to setup my tarp ridgeline when I see this posting as the first in the forum thread. Thank you so much. Now I have to figure out how to attach the tarp to the ridgeline. I guess you use a couple of the knots that slide with the loops? Will be looking for more helpful videos.

jima59
08-07-2011, 17:14
I did order the extra hooks from Dutch....made sure that I have plenty since I have a bad habit of losing things....thanks for the suggestion, will look for the video.

smokeeater908
08-07-2011, 18:23
NICE! :thumbup:

G.L.P.
08-07-2011, 18:42
Also if your looking for a Cuben pack cover look no further .... i got my hands on one and let me tell you there very nice top quality work like all his products
;)

EricFromPortland
08-07-2011, 21:56

Thanks for the positive comment.
- I use soft shackles to attach the tarp to the ridge line. Mine are DIY and attached them to ridge line with prussic and then open the shackle and attache to tarp.
- I used Zing It and the soft shackles work great. But, you can do the same basic set up without splicing by using a double fishermens knots to attach tarp.
- Here is a link to Opie's site that sells soft shackles, but they are too thick to use with prussics on Zing It. I just wanted to show you what soft shackles look like. http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Soft-Shackle-SS.htm

08-08-2011, 00:02
with my tarp, i took dutch's advise and run 2 separate RL's, one at each end. took 25ft, split it in half, and just used 2 tarp flyz. tada!

Jsaults
08-08-2011, 07:17
but discovered that after attaching the "dumb end" of my CRL to a tree with a Dutch Hook that sliding the Dutch Fly on the Zing It was frustrating. I took Dutch's advice and used a prussic loop on the Flyz to the CRL for easy adjustment.

Jim

Lonely Raven
08-08-2011, 08:36
You've got such a calming voice, Eric, I think I started to drift off. LOL

bluejeans
08-08-2011, 09:42
Excellent idea of hooking the Dutch hook to a prusik. I had issues on my last hike with aligning my tarp and hammock because of the asymetrical attachement of the plain Dutch hook to the zing-it. I will be adding a prusik to my ridge line which will eliminate my problem. Great idea and THANKS for sharing. That is the great thing with this forum, so many smart and talented folks sharing ideas. :)

dragon360
08-08-2011, 09:51
More video goodness!! Thank you.

Shug
08-08-2011, 21:48
Terrific job and good stuff.
Shug

EricFromPortland
08-09-2011, 00:12
but discovered that after attaching the "dumb end" of my CRL to a tree with a Dutch Hook that sliding the Dutch Fly on the Zing It was frustrating. I took Dutch's advice and used a prussic loop on the Flyz to the CRL for easy adjustment.

Jim

Now that is a great idea!

EricFromPortland
08-09-2011, 00:17
You've got such a calming voice, Eric, I think I started to drift off. LOL

That's funny, truth is I was tired and didn't want to do a video but my 10 year son is hot on the idea of making videos. So, we got hooked up with the local cable access channel and they lent us a HD camera and wireless lav mics. They even trained us a bit. So, the boy was itching to film and I had a new tarp. That is parenting in the 2010's.

So, I hope you enjoy the HD and my smooth yet tied pipes into a high quality lav mic....

I have some additional footage but there appears to be gaps where the record button was not pushed. But, if we can get the footage in order and have the boy put in a few hours of editing, there should be an improved video to follow.

EricFromPortland
08-09-2011, 00:20
Terrific job and good stuff.
Shug

Thanks for watching Shug - I have been watching your videos for a while now. I also have a mountain Uni! Fun stuff.

ippon
08-12-2011, 16:04
I just got some of these, they are amazingly small!

How does one thread the zingit through the tarp flyz? I watched a few videos demonstrating how it tightens, but didnt show how its first attached to the ridgeline. Thanks

Dutch
08-12-2011, 17:16
Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSVvIPFfpas

ippon
08-12-2011, 17:32
Thanks Dutch! I knew I watched that somewhere, didnt think to go back to the main ordering page. Great product!

jima59
08-12-2011, 18:34
I used the line setup from the video and using the hardware from dutch it went together so easy. Its amazing how pieces so small and light weight can be so workable. Worst thing I worry about is losing things so I will be ordering some extras.

08-12-2011, 18:41
if you have the flyz on right, its not likely youll lose those!

solstice
08-12-2011, 19:27
Excellent video. I love everything I buy from Dutchware. Everything is so intuitive, no-nonsense, and makes set-up so freakin' fast and easy.

Deadphans
08-14-2011, 19:02
Great idea Eric.

defsquad
09-03-2011, 23:14
Dutch and others, instead of a locked brummel to attach the Dutch Hooks to the line, what knot could you use instead? Bowline? Perfection loop?

Thanks!

Dutch
09-04-2011, 06:55
You can make a continuous loop. It looks much cleaner because there is no knot at all.

Edit, I should nave read that better. I will let some of the knot experts answer

Jcavenagh
09-09-2011, 15:14
It is a hook on the end of a line...how about a fishermans knot (or a double fk)?

EricFromPortland
09-09-2011, 23:05
Dutch and others, instead of a locked brummel to attach the Dutch Hooks to the line, what knot could you use instead? Bowline? Perfection loop?

Thanks!

This is not the cleanest possible way, but I use a bowline on an extra set of the hooks. A bowline is simple, easy to tie and untie, and holds tight. The only issue I have is when coiling the zing-it the tag end of the bowline gets hung up a bit. But, it is a small problem.

fuzzie
03-20-2012, 13:54
I had a heck of a time with my super fly, zing-it, dutch hook and dutch flyz this weekend.

I made a CRL, under the tarp (suppose it didn't matter), one end has a spliced dutch hook, the other end has a dutch flyz. I just ran the CRL through the eyes on the tarp...well that didn't play too well.

How do you guys fasten the ridgeline to the tarp?
Thanks!

SilvrSurfr
03-20-2012, 15:01
I had a heck of a time with my super fly, zing-it, dutch hook and dutch flyz this weekend.

I made a CRL, under the tarp (suppose it didn't matter), one end has a spliced dutch hook, the other end has a dutch flyz. I just ran the CRL through the eyes on the tarp...well that didn't play too well.

How do you guys fasten the ridgeline to the tarp?
Thanks!

I use Zing-It 1.75 mm soft shackle prusiks. They allow you to tension the tarp, or move it left/right on the ridgeline. You can buy them for $6 at whoopieslings.com, though I'm sure others sell them.

I made mine - they're pretty easy to make using Opie's pictoral at http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18608

Dutch
03-20-2012, 15:04
I use Zing-It 1.75 mm soft shackle prusiks. They allow you to tension the tarp, or move it left/right on the ridgeline. You can buy them for $6 at whoopieslings.com, though I'm sure others sell them.

I made mine - they're pretty easy to make using Opie's pictoral at http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18608

What he said:)

bluejeans
03-20-2012, 15:31
A talking hands video that quickly shows Tarp Flyz, Dutch Hook, and Zing-It Continuous Ridge Line Set Up

These items can be found here:
http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cottage-industries/dutchware/

fvjteY0Gf6Y

Thanks for sharing and I plan to incorporate your prusik/Dutch hook idea onto mine. I have been using Dutch's original ridgeline rig but was frustrated by the lack of a gap and now you have solved it. So thanks a bunch. I love how ideas evolve and improve

fuzzie
03-20-2012, 15:31
Thanks for the link; the video is perfect.
Thought I read somewhere in here that you can't prusik zing-it to zing-it.
Those soft shackles look just like the ticket...I'm making some of them tonight!