PDA

View Full Version : Red River Gorge Spring Hang Out. May 23-25

headchange4u
03-25-2008, 09:53
I wanted to start planning a hang out at the Red River Gorge. I thought May would be a good month to try and get something going. The poll choices are the weekends I don't have to work. I can't get off work on May 2nd (Friday), but I can still attend that Saturday and Sunday.

I would like to have the hang out at Indian Staircase, but this spot would require a little bit of rock scrambling and probably would not be that well suited for young kids. There is a safer and easier back way in to Indian Staircase but the route is a little more difficult to find. I have some video of the IS that I will post so that you can get an idea of what is involved.

I thought I would post the directions to the hang out in it's own thread so it wouldn't get lost in the shuffle.

I am assuming that you can find your way to the Slade exit off the Mountain Parkway. I am giving the route to the shortest hike in to the camp site. There are longer routes you can take. If you want a longer hike in send me a PM and I will give you directions.

From the Slade exit:

Turn toward the Shell gas station (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=Shell&near=Slade,+Ky+40376&ie=UTF8&ll=37.796017,-83.700886&spn=0.047951,0.079823&z=14&iwloc=A&om=1) and Hwy 15 when getting off the exit. Make a right onto Hwy 15 South/East. You will go about 3.5 miles until you see Tunnel Ridge Road on your left (gravel road). Turn left onto Tunnel Ridge and drive about 1 mile until you see the Gray's Arch parking area on your right (point A on the map).

After parking at Gray's Arch, walk out of the parking lot and turn left on Tunnel Ridge Road and walk about 100 yards and you will see the Sheltowee Trace your left (Trail 100, point H on the map). Take the Sheltowee Trace until you come to a fork in the trail. You want to take the left fork onto Rush Ridge Trail (Trail 227, point O on the map). Follow Rush Ridge for about a mile and you will come to the Rough Trail (Trail 221, point D on the map). Make a right onto Rough Trail. Not long after hiking on Rough Trail you will come to a steep rock. Be careful here. Trail continues straight after rock. Follow it downhill until you come to a creek.

EDIT. ADDED INFO:
The trail will cross the creek and pass a small water fall, Footwash Falls, and then starts heading uphill again. You will want to continue to follow the creek to the right. After a couple hundred feet you will come to a flat area on your left with a fire ring. We will be camping at this spot or uphill and to your right.

RRG use white diamond blazes except for the Sheltowee Trace which uses a turtle.

GPS Waypoints:

A = Gray's Arch Parking Lot = 37.80808 N 83.65621 W
H = Tunnel Ridge Rd/Sheltowee = 37.80724 N 83.65621 W
O = Sheltowee/Rush Ridge = 37.80767 N 83.65327 W
D = Rush Ridge/Rough Trail = 37.81917 N 83.64659 W
Camp site = 37.81554 N 83.64133 W

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/TrailMap005.jpg

Be sure to pick up an overnight back country pass at the shell station (about $3.00).

If you have any questions send me a PM.

Hooch
03-25-2008, 09:59
I can make it later on in the month, more likely than not. It's a little close to the time I'll be moving to NC, but can probably still make it. Normally, I'd say go for the same place we camped at the last RRG hang, but I'd like to see other parts of the Gorge, too. Indian Staircase sounds good to me. I'm game for wherever you guys want to hang. Count me in. :D

Youngblood
03-25-2008, 10:00
Trail Days are May 16, 17 and 18th, if that matters.

Hooch
03-25-2008, 10:08
Maybe some people who didn't make the last RRG hang can see it in their heart to come this time. Not to mention any names or anything, but his initials are Doctari. :eek: :p

Doctari
03-25-2008, 10:12
I'll still be section hiking on May 2 -4
Got to work 16th (& 19th) But I suppose I could drop in for 2 days.
And I'm workin the 25th. Again, I could drop in for 2 days.

BUT, I'll be there anyway on May 31 & June 1. Takin a newbe on his first overnighter. Would change that trip, but he works the 24 shift before me, & that weekend is the only days that my hiking / work partner & I are off for 2 days that he is off.

NCPatrick
03-25-2008, 10:18
I voted for the later dates.

SEHHA is at the end of April. That would make 2 hangout weekends in a row. I don't know if I can do that (in any case, not and have a happy wife too).

My 15th anniversary is May 15th. The anniversary trip (to somewhere else) takes precedence.

So that leaves open only the later May dates for me. I really hope it works out. (Crossing my fingers).

GrizzlyAdams
03-25-2008, 11:59
neither of the later two weekends have known conflicts. Looks like the consensus is forming around the last weekend. That puts it just before I leave kith and kinder for a week and a half long business trip a bunch of time zones away, but also makes it possible for son quantumcat to come along, as he'll be home from university by then. So that's where I plunked me vote.

Grizz

Hooch
03-25-2008, 16:31
I hope you guys can make it, NCP and Grizz. I'm sure we'll have a great hike and hang again. Looking forward to it already.

rigidpsycho
03-25-2008, 16:37
That's my birthday weekend so I can probably make it out there Sat and Sun.

Mule
03-25-2008, 16:54
I voted for the later dates.

SEHHA is at the end of April. That would make 2 hangout weekends in a row. I don't know if I can do that (in any case, not and have a happy wife too).

My 15th anniversary is May 15th. The anniversary trip (to somewhere else) takes precedence.

So that leaves open only the later May dates for me. I really hope it works out. (Crossing my fingers).
ANNIVERSARY? There's another fifty cents shot!

Mule
03-25-2008, 16:57
I can go any of those dates, and I am game for anywhere you all want to hang. Looking forward to the video, too. Mule

rigidpsycho
04-29-2008, 12:06
So is everyone still interested in doing this hang?

NCPatrick
04-29-2008, 12:11
Yes I am! :D.

Hooch
04-29-2008, 12:14
So is everyone still interested in doing this hang?Yes, but may only be able to do overnight since it's very close to my move date. I'll know more in a couple weeks. Anyone else?

rigidpsycho
04-29-2008, 12:15
Just wondering it hasn't been brought up in awhile. After hanging for the first time with neo and sons at Mammoth Cave I'm ready for another great hang and a chance to meet some more fellow hangers. Although I will probably have to make this an ovenighter, have to work Friday so I can get my holiday pay for Monday.

headchange4u
04-29-2008, 12:49
I should still be good to go for those dates. I have that Friday off work.

NCPatrick
04-29-2008, 12:52
I now have to work something out to leave Friday May 23. My wife will be out of town but will return around 4:00 that day. I may end up having to drive in late Friday, early Saturday. (Trip takes 6 hours, I think). That is the weekend, right?

GrizzlyAdams
04-29-2008, 13:18
regrettably this one is a no-go for me now, either of those dates.

Grizz

headchange4u
04-29-2008, 13:23
Yes it's Friday-Sunday, May 23-25.

Hooch
04-29-2008, 14:02
I'm hoping that I'll be able to make at least one night of it since it's the weekend before my move and I'll have tons of stuff to get done. I may have Short Stuff in tow as well. Are we using the same campsite we did last time or somewhere different? Inquiring minds want to know. :rolleyes:

headchange4u
04-29-2008, 15:37
Same site is fine with me.

rigidpsycho
04-29-2008, 15:40
Is it the one by Greys Arch or is it gonna be at Indian staircase?

Hooch
04-29-2008, 16:03
If we use the same site, it'll be about 1.5 miles from Gray's Arch.

NCPatrick
04-29-2008, 19:06
I hope to arrive before dark... any chance you could send up a few flares every so often (without starting a giant fire) so I can follow them... :eek: or mark the trail with orange tape, like they did at MAHHA?

Hooch
04-29-2008, 19:37
I hope to arrive before dark... any chance you could send up a few flares every so often (without starting a giant fire) so I can follow them... :eek: or mark the trail with orange tape, like they did at MAHHA?how about a smoke signal or GPS coordinates?

NCPatrick
04-29-2008, 19:39
EXCELLENT! There's my justification for buying a handheld GPS...! :D

Hmm... I'll get started on that right away...

Hooch
04-29-2008, 19:50
EXCELLENT! There's my justification for buying a handheld GPS...! :D

Hmm... I'll get started on that right away...Aren't you supposed to be downstairs sewing? :rolleyes: :p

Coffee
04-29-2008, 20:34
I'll list myself day to day. Money is short and I am going to try and make trail days.

headchange4u
04-29-2008, 21:05
I hope to arrive before dark... any chance you could send up a few flares every so often (without starting a giant fire) so I can follow them... :eek: or mark the trail with orange tape, like they did at MAHHA?

We know Hooch's phone works at the camp site *wink wink nudge nudge*:p

We could meet you somewhere on the trail.

Hooch
04-29-2008, 21:06
I have no clue what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

NCPatrick
04-30-2008, 07:13

We could meet you somewhere on the trail.

Good idea! Except that MY phone doesn't get coverage ANYWHERE. I'm using Virgin Mobile (pay as you go) and I think it piggybacks off of the Sprint network. I've not had coverage on any of the trips I've been on to the backcountry. So Hooch might have a very one-sided conversation. Good idea though.

I'm still trying to work out a way to arrive during daylight.

rigidpsycho
05-04-2008, 09:26
Well guys I just found out today that the wife has asked off for that Sat and Sun for me to come down. So I guess I do get to come for my Bday after all. At least at the moment will keep ya posted.

NCPatrick
05-04-2008, 10:03
Can we get a location on Google maps again like last year? It's about time for me to start researching again how to get there, etc. I'll see if I can find the thread from way back then...

rigidpsycho
05-04-2008, 10:11
here it is http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2226

NCPatrick
05-04-2008, 10:16
Thank you very much. Still trying to see if I can get off work for that friday...

rigidpsycho
05-04-2008, 10:20
well I won't be able to get there til saturday. I go to work at 4am during the week and I don't think I'll be able to travel on Friday even though I'm alot closer than NCPatrick is, but after having to work a 10 hour day I am usually pretty pooped out when I get home.

rigidpsycho
05-07-2008, 09:33
So who all are planning to attend the hang?

NCPatrick
05-07-2008, 10:26
Still trying to get my ducks in a row... so far so good. We'll see.

rigidpsycho
05-08-2008, 13:35
So are we going to have hot dogs on Saturday night or are we going to be cooking for ourselves?

NCPatrick
05-08-2008, 13:37
I'll leave it up to everyone else to decide. Just let me know if I can bring anything if that's the decision.

headchange4u
05-08-2008, 14:25
I'm up for a hot dog dinner. I don't know how many are showing up so we may not have to carry much.

rigidpsycho
05-08-2008, 14:43
well if everyone who is planning on attending could chime in I already have chips lined up. My buddy that works for Frito Lay told me to just let him know how many people we will have and he will hook me up that Friday.

NCPatrick
05-08-2008, 14:48
I can bring some hot dog buns. I think I've still got some left from the Mt. Rogers hangout last winter... :p (j/k)

headchange4u
05-08-2008, 15:16
I will get the hot dogs.

rigidpsycho
05-08-2008, 16:18
what kindof chips do you guys like

headchange4u
05-08-2008, 16:21
Not to picky on potato chips. Any will do.

headchange4u
05-08-2008, 16:22
I also want to try and shoot some video for the video tutorials on this gathering if someone will be willing to go on camera.

Mule
05-08-2008, 16:33
I am 50% sure I can still make it. I hope so. Mule

cavediver2
05-09-2008, 01:25
what town is this hang out by I am not really clear on where this is. give me and exit number or town name. Looking at mileage from the house.

cavediver2
05-09-2008, 01:28
what town is this hang out by I am not really clear on where this is. give me and exit number or town name. Looking at mileage from the house.

Never mind I found it :rolleyes:

headchange4u
05-09-2008, 08:31

I added directions as well as a trail map to the 1st post on page one in case any one else needs directions.

NCPatrick
05-09-2008, 08:41
I added directions as well as a trail map to the 1st post on page one in case any one else needs directions.

Thanks for the update to that. What time will you be arriving, etc? I'm hoping to get there around 1 or 2 on Friday, and was hoping someone would be around to hike in with.

I tried and tried to justify buying a GPS for this trip, but it's a no-go.

HC4U, I vote that you should be the one on camera for the demos.

NCPatrick
05-09-2008, 08:46
what kindof chips do you guys like

Got any heart stopping, artery clogging, extra salty "kettle" chips? I hope so. Otherwise no real preference.

headchange4u
05-09-2008, 11:34
Thanks for the update to that. What time will you be arriving, etc? I'm hoping to get there around 1 or 2 on Friday, and was hoping someone would be around to hike in with.

I tried and tried to justify buying a GPS for this trip, but it's a no-go.

HC4U, I vote that you should be the one on camera for the demos.

If you are gonna be there at 1 or 2 on Friday, we can meet st the Shell station, just off the exit, and drive to the parking lot and hike in together. That goes for anyone attending this hang out.

I don't like cameras. It takes a little piece of your soul every time you have your picture taken :p I feel better behind the scenes, so someone else will have to be the star of this picture.:)

NCPatrick
05-09-2008, 11:38
So there's going to be a fight scene in this movie? Cool. :D I am NOT going in front of the camera either. Maybe we can get rigidpsycho to do it... or hire a model.

I'll meet you at the Shell station then. I'll have a better idea of when in a few days.

rigidpsycho
05-09-2008, 14:15
I'm with HC4U I don't like being in front of the cameras either

headchange4u
05-09-2008, 14:17
I guess there in only one way of deciding this camera delima: 1...2...3 NOT IT

NCPatrick
05-09-2008, 14:18
I guess there in only one way of deciding this camera delima: 1...2...3 NOT IT
.... Not it.

rigidpsycho
05-09-2008, 14:19
Not it, we can get Hooch to do it if he's able to make it

Hooch
05-09-2008, 14:19
I'm probably game for Saturday night, possibly Friday as well, I'll just have to see was time gets a little closer. Are we using the same campsite as last time still?

NOT IT!!!!!

headchange4u
05-09-2008, 14:22
Are we using the same campsite as last time still?

NOT IT!!!!!

As far as I know.

Hooch
05-09-2008, 14:31
I'm pretty sure I can make at least Saturday night. It's just so close to my move, I'm not positive I can make it or not yet. I'd love to do the whole thing if I can. Kinda my send off hang from Kentucky, ya know? Cross yer fingers and whatever else you got for me, gang.

headchange4u
05-09-2008, 15:16
I added a little bit more detailed info for getting to the camp site on page 1, 1st post for anyone who will be coming later on Friday or Saturday.

Doctari
05-10-2008, 07:33
There is an "easy" way to the top of Indian staircase:

Short hike: Park at the bison way parkinglot, hike the bison way to the Sheltowee trace trl, go left on the STT. Go pass the "bootleg trail" on the STT & climb the wooden stairs, a little past the top go right & take the 2nd (I think) "bootleg trail" to the right. Follow this & the cliff edge around keeping to the right, soon you will be atop IS.

Long hike: park at the swinging bridge parking lot, take the connector to the STT, go left (Don't cross the swinging bridge, except of course to play on it.) about 4 to 4.5 miles you climb a short (4'?) rock, the STT goes right, a "bootleg trail" goes straight (Leftish) follow this to the left for about 50', then follow this & the cliff edge around keeping to the right, soon you will be atop IS.

Extra short hike: Park at the bison way parkinglot, hike the bison way to the Sheltowee trace trl, go left on the STT. About 1/2 to 1 mile on the STT a well worn bootleg trail is on the right, just on the inside "crook" of a right hand turn, take that to the base of the indian staircase. this bootleg trail seems to end twice, just keep looking & you will see "the way". :D This way is a bit more dangerous, but all 3 can be, there are many places atop IS where you can fall long enough to reach terminal velocity before you come to a sudden stop.

I hope to make it for friday & sat cause I really need a hike! I'll be taking the long way in BTW. May not leave RRG till 3:30 Sunday AM.

headchange4u
05-10-2008, 07:41
Doctari,

I think we are planning to have the hang out on Rough Trail. See map in 1st post. I would like to do Indian Staircase, but there may be children coming and IS is not a very safe hike for kids.

Hooch
05-10-2008, 07:55
Doctari,

I think we are planning to have the hang out on Rough Trail. See map in 1st post. I would like to do Indian Staircase, but there may be children coming and IS is not a very safe hike for kids.Doctari, it's just above the campsite that we overnighted at last fall. IF you go up to that campsite, you look to the right and go up the hill. There's a reasonably flat space up there with a fire ring and plenty of trees for hanging. That water source below the campsite is very reliable. Hope to see y'all there on or both nights. :D

Doctari
05-10-2008, 09:52
Doctari,

I think we are planning to have the hang out on Rough Trail. See map in 1st post. I would like to do Indian Staircase, but there may be children coming and IS is not a very safe hike for kids.

Yea I saw that :D but now the directions are there if anyone wants to go. I wouldn't take small kids up there either, LOTS of places to fall from.

It's just above the campsite that we overnighted at last fall. IF you go up to that campsite, you look to the right and go up the hill. There's a reasonably flat space up there with a fire ring and plenty of trees for hanging. That water source below the campsite is very reliable. Hope to see y'all there on or both nights.

K! I know where that is. It all depends on how hard I get my butt kicked at work Thrsday as to if I can go. I will be packed tho,,, well, that's not a fair statement, I'm always packed for a hike. I just got home from a 3 wk hike & I could leave in less than 30 minutes even now. 3 minutes if pressed. :D

NCPatrick
05-10-2008, 10:25
What kids are coming? Not any of mine... (I need some time away).

Hooch
05-10-2008, 13:02
What kids are coming? Not any of mine... (I need some time away).There is a chance, however slim, that Short Stuff may be with me. That is still to be determined at this point. I'll know more toward the end of this week. That is all.

headchange4u
05-10-2008, 13:28
Let me just throw this out there: If we have kids attending we can do the same camp site as last time and if there are not going to be any children present we can do Indian Staircase. Either stop is fine with me. I'm just happy to be able to get out for a couple of days.

Hooch
05-10-2008, 13:32
Let me just throw this out there: If we have kids attending we can do the same camp site as last time and if there are not going to be any children present we can do Indian Staircase. Either stop is fine with me. I'm just happy to be able to get out for a couple of days.Isn't IS a dry campsite? How close to the nearest H2O?

headchange4u
05-10-2008, 14:27
There are water sources at the top of IS, but I think that's the area where Hammock Enginner got sick (but Doctari didn't). There are other water sources to to far away.

Doctari
05-10-2008, 17:47
There are water sources at the top of IS, but I think that's the area where Hammock Enginner got sick (but Doctari didn't). There are other water sources to to far away.

Water (should be) ample at the rock house atop IS, & a stream about 0.3 from the base of the bootleg on the STT. If I was a normal, I would treat it before use :eek: But I'll likely not treat as usual. I have gotten water 3 of my 4 trips atop IS at the rock house, so it should be flowing, specially since the area has had a bit of rain this year.

Hooch
05-10-2008, 18:15

Water (should be) ample at the rock house atop IS, & a stream about 0.3 from the base of the bootleg on the STT. If I was a normal, I would treat it before use :eek: But I'll likely not treat as usual. I have gotten water 3 of my 4 trips atop IS at the rock house, so it should be flowing, specially since the area has had a bit of rain this year.
Good news all around. Thanks, gents. :D

rigidpsycho
05-11-2008, 13:49
I'd be up for either site as well, just let me know

Mule
05-11-2008, 15:47
Are we meeting at the Station still, no matter what site we choose or will there be another meeting place if we are going the the Staircase?

headchange4u
05-11-2008, 17:17
We will still meet at the Shell station.

NCPatrick
05-11-2008, 21:14
Sounds like a plan...

Hooch
05-12-2008, 08:07
Sounds good so far. I'm not familiar with the way to IS, so I may need someone to help me out if I have to show on Saturday.

headchange4u
05-12-2008, 08:43
Sounds good so far. I'm not familiar with the way to IS, so I may need someone to help me out if I have to show on Saturday.

I can meet you somewhere on the trail, if need be. I actually think there is cell phone reception on top of IS.

Hooch
05-12-2008, 08:53
I can meet you somewhere on the trail, if need be. I actually think there is cell phone reception on top of IS.Got a set of directions to the parking lot and how to get to IS from there? I already packed my maps away for my move. :(

Coffee
05-12-2008, 18:05
I don't know if this was covered, but there will probibly be a lot of people there that weekend. May want to get there early.

rigidpsycho
05-12-2008, 18:08
I'm gonna need direction to IS as well. Especially since I won't be down til Saturday.

headchange4u
05-12-2008, 18:15
I don't know if this was covered, but there will probibly be a lot of people there that weekend. May want to get there early.

Yikes. I didn't realize it was Memorial Day weekend. It probably will be crowded.

rigidpsycho
05-12-2008, 18:21
Is there anywhere down there that wouldn't be quite as crowded?

headchange4u
05-12-2008, 18:39
The spot off Rough Trail, where we camped last time, would probably be more secluded than IS.

Hooch
05-12-2008, 20:38
The spot off Rough Trail, where we camped last time, would probably be more secluded than IS.I forgot that was memorial day weekend as well. Maybe the spot off Rough Trail would be better in the long run. It's an excellent spot, really. It's easy to get to, plenty of places to hang, already has a fire ring, plenty of firewood, easy access to water, etc. Any other thoughts on this? I'm game either way, though.

NCPatrick
05-12-2008, 21:35
I think that would be fine. :D

Hooch
05-12-2008, 21:38
I think that would be fine. :DSweet! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/wootrock.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org) I'm really hoping to make this one. The next few days will tell.

headchange4u
05-12-2008, 21:55
I would prefer a little bit of privacy, so the previous camp site will be fine.

Hooch
05-12-2008, 22:19
I would prefer a little bit of privacy, so the previous camp site will be fine.I have to agree. There'll still be a boatload of folks at the Gorge that weekend, but I think that site will afford a reasonable level of privacy. I'm still hoping to make it for at least one night, hopefully both. :D Coffee, you gonna make this one?

So far, I'm seeing the list as:

HC4U
NCPatrick
Rigidpsycho

Possibly:
Doctari
Hooch
Coffee
Skskinner
Cavediver2

Anyone else?

Coffee
05-12-2008, 23:33
It's up in the air right now. I am all over the place on a few things.

rigidpsycho
05-13-2008, 18:21
Sounds good to me. I already have the map for that site.

NCPatrick
05-13-2008, 18:25
HC4U, I hate to ask, but could you update the first post map again to reflect the change in location?

Mule
05-13-2008, 21:24
I have to agree. There'll still be a boatload of folks at the Gorge that weekend, but I think that site will afford a reasonable level of privacy. I'm still hoping to make it for at least one night, hopefully both. :D Coffee, you gonna make this one?

So far, I'm seeing the list as:

HC4U
NCPatrick
Skskinner
Rigidpsycho

Possibly:
Doctari
Hooch
Coffee

Anyone else?
Change me to Possibly please. Thanks, mule

cavediver2
05-13-2008, 22:39
322 miles from my house I might come and see you all that weekend not for sure yet but it could be done.

if you dont mind a clark hammock or two there I will bring the new nx-200 with me and let someone sleep in
it if they want.

NCPatrick
05-14-2008, 06:39
That would be great. Hope to see you there.

Hooch
05-14-2008, 07:00
After reviewing work schedules, it's looking pretty good that I can make both days of this hang. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/wootrock.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org) Yeah boyeeeee! I'll know for sure by Monday. :D

headchange4u
05-14-2008, 07:32
322 miles from my house I might come and see you all that weekend not for sure yet but it could be done.

if you dont mind a clark hammock or two there I will bring the new nx-200 with me and let someone sleep in
it if they want.

We would be happy to have you. I've never seen a Clark in the flesh.

NCPatrick
05-14-2008, 08:41
HC4U, I hate to ask, but could you update the first post map again to reflect the change in location?

Did I forget to say "please"? :p

headchange4u
05-14-2008, 08:52

We are going to use the location indicated in that post, off Rough trail. I think we agreed that Indian Staircase might be a little crowded. If we still want to try for IS, I can update the info. It's up to you guys. As I said, I'm just happy to be there, wherever there may be.:D

NCPatrick
05-14-2008, 08:56
Ok. I'm confused then. (nothing new there).

I'll just meet you at the Shell station, buy my 3.00 permit, and hike wherever. I'll just be happy to be there, and I'll try to remember to bring hot dog buns.

It's looking like it'll be closer to 2, maybe even 2:30 (sorry). I've got to stick around a bit on that Friday morning and get the kids fed and on the school bus since my wife will be out of town, then it's a 6 hour drive. So bear with me, please.

Hooch
05-14-2008, 10:01
Ok. I'm confused then. (nothing new there).

I'll just meet you at the Shell station, buy my 3.00 permit, and hike wherever. I'll just be happy to be there, and I'll try to remember to bring hot dog buns.

It's looking like it'll be closer to 2, maybe even 2:30 (sorry). I've got to stick around a bit on that Friday morning and get the kids fed and on the school bus since my wife will be out of town, then it's a 6 hour drive. So bear with me, please.
So are we all meeting at the Shell Station at 2:30 then? Is that the plan now?

headchange4u
05-14-2008, 10:49
2:30 at the shell station works for me.

Hooch
05-14-2008, 11:05
2:30 at the shell station works for me.It's looking more and more like I'm going to make this one, fellas. HC, want to carpool again?

NCPatrick
05-14-2008, 11:12
Yeah, lets carpool. Oh, wait... you haven't moved yet.

headchange4u
05-14-2008, 11:12
It's looking more and more like I'm going to make this one, fellas. HC, want to carpool again?

Carpool sounds great.You and Doctari (if he is able to make it) can meet at my house and we can ride share

Hooch
05-14-2008, 11:16
Yeah, lets carpool. Oh, wait... you haven't moved yet.
Not yet. 17 days and a wake up. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/wootrock.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Carpool sounds great.You and Doctari (if he is able to make it) can meet at my house and we can ride share Sounds like a plan to me. NCP, what direction are you coming in from? Charleston or Knoxville?

Updated list below. What's everyone bringing for chow Saturday night? What do I need to bring?

HC4U
NCPatrick
Rigidpsycho
Hooch

Possibly:
Doctari
Coffee
Skskinner
Cavediver2

NCPatrick
05-14-2008, 11:27
Not yet. 17 days and a wake up. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/wootrock.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)
Sounds like a plan to me. NCP, what direction are you coming in from? Charleston or Knoxville?

Updated list below. What's everyone bringing for chow Saturday night? What do I need to bring?

HC4U
NCPatrick
Rigidpsycho
Hooch

Possibly:
Doctari
Coffee
Skskinner
Cavediver2

I'll be coming up from Wytheville, VA. Yeah yeah, I know... :rolleyes:

Hooch
05-14-2008, 11:28
I'll be coming up from Wytheville, VA. Yeah yeah, I know... :rolleyes:Nevermind, see ya at the Shell station. Still got my number in case you need it?

NCPatrick
05-14-2008, 11:30
Nevermind, see ya at the Shell station. Still got my number in case you need it?

I do. Thanks! I appreciate it. Maybe we can carpool next year.

Hooch
05-14-2008, 11:31
I do. Thanks! I appreciate it. Maybe we can carpool next year.You can count on it. Hopefully Mr. Slowhike can make it with us.

NCPatrick
05-14-2008, 11:34
Maybe if he asks off of work a year in advance, he'll get it.

rigidpsycho
05-14-2008, 13:22
What's everyone bringing for chow Saturday night? What do I need to bring?

I'll be bringing chips

Hooch
05-14-2008, 14:01
What's everyone bringing for chow Saturday night? What do I need to bring?

I'll be bringing chips

If I remember correctly without readingthe entire thread, HC is bringing hot dogs and NCP is bringing buns. I'll try to bring mustard, ketchup, relish, etc. If I bring homemade hot dog chili will y'all eat it? Coleslaw?

rigidpsycho
05-14-2008, 14:03
sure hot dog chili is good

headchange4u
05-14-2008, 16:03
Hooch,

You may leave the coleslaw at home. Mayo products and warm day don't make for a good combination.:p

Doctari
05-14-2008, 16:24
So, we decided where we is hangin?

I have been nearly everywhere at RRG so it makes no diff to me, but this close it may be a good Idea to know.

Being the weekend it is, there may be many many many people there, so:
May I humbly suggest that if we pick a site, then get to the trailhead or campsite & go, "Nah, that/this site sucks lets go _________ " leave a note w directions to the new place somewhere prominent.

Hooch
05-14-2008, 17:30
You may leave the coleslaw at home. Fine, be that way. But don't say I didn't offer. :p

So, we decided where we is hangin? I think the consensus thus far has been to use the spot off Rough Trail that I told you about, just above where we overnighted. Other ideas?

rigidpsycho
05-18-2008, 10:25
Well guys it looks like as of right now we are gonna have great weather for the trip.
Fri
May 23
Partly Cloudy
73°H
54°L

Sat
May 24
Sunny
76°H
57° L

Sun
May 25
Sunny
78°H
58°L

NCPatrick
05-18-2008, 11:15
Well, now we're jinxed... :rolleyes:

rigidpsycho
05-18-2008, 11:24
Well, now we're jinxed... :rolleyes:

Nah, but then again we are in Kentucky so the weather changes quite frequently.

NCPatrick
05-18-2008, 11:28
Yeah, I guess I can't get jinxed from out of state, right? :D

headchange4u
05-18-2008, 11:33
Jinx's are very powerful and have been known to be totally ignore human devised boundaries, like a state line. :p

NCPatrick
05-18-2008, 11:34
Jinx's are very powerful and have been known to be totally ignore human devised boundaries, like a state line. :p
:eek: <gulp> :D

Doctari
05-18-2008, 13:59
SO, we still plannin on the site on trail 221 tween trail 227 & trail 223??
The reason I ask is I will be getting there about 1000 AM Friday & would love to be at the right place when I set up :p

My wife has to work both days, so I got the green light to go. Still have to be back to work Early AM on Sunday.

What is left to bring food wise?

Coffee
05-18-2008, 22:29
I'm going to move over to the not coming list. I am way peopled out after this weekend and need a solo hike.

NCPatrick
05-18-2008, 22:40
I'm going to move over to the not coming list. I am way peopled out after this weekend and need a solo hike.

It's a shame that your people quota was reached BEFORE this hangout. I was hoping you could make it.

Oh well, I completely understand the need for solo time. Hope to see you out there sometime.

Coffee
05-18-2008, 23:07
It's a shame that your people quota was reached BEFORE this hangout. I was hoping you could make it.

Oh well, I completely understand the need for solo time. Hope to see you out there sometime.

Yeah strange how that happens. I'm thinking a 4 day hike were I hit the miles is a better call.

I might try and make one of Ed Speer's campouts. It's hard though with a 9-6pm job to make the long drives.

headchange4u
05-19-2008, 07:41
What is left to bring food wise?

Maybe a side item or desert. I think everything else is covered.

NCPatrick
05-19-2008, 07:42
You can bring the ice cream. :D

Hooch
05-19-2008, 08:00
You can bring the ice cream. :D
But you have to carry the frezer and generator on your pack. :eek:

NCPatrick
05-19-2008, 11:16
I just have to buy an ice cream ball... with a built in GPS... made out of camo silnylon... and titanium...

Mule
05-19-2008, 11:29
Maybe a side item or desert. I think everything else is covered.
It is looking more positive for me to make it. Tentatively I will bring some cookies. Mule

NCPatrick
05-19-2008, 11:40
Glad you can make it. Looking forward to meeting you and seeing some of your handiwork firsthand.

rigidpsycho
05-19-2008, 17:33
It will be nice to finally meet you mule

Hooch
05-19-2008, 18:07
This totaly blows. I had something come up and can't make the RRG trip this weekend. I really thought it was all going to work out for me to go, too. I hope y'all have a good time, enjoy your hike and hang loose! See ya next time, guys!

headchange4u
05-19-2008, 18:18
This totaly blows. I had something come up and can't make the RRG trip this weekend. I really thought it was all going to work out for me to go, too. I hope y'all have a good time, enjoy your hike and hang loose! See ya next time, guys!

Sorry to hear that Hooch. I wish you could have made it.

BTW,

What food item were you bringing?

Hooch
05-19-2008, 18:53
Sorry to hear that Hooch. I wish you could have made it.

BTW,

What food item were you bringing?I was bringing condiments; mustard, ketchup, relish, etc. I can bring you some of my homemade hot dog chili if you want to take it in. It's already frozen, all you have to do it warm it up after it thaws out. Let me know if you want some.

NCPatrick
05-19-2008, 18:56
Really sorry to hear that Hooch. I'm glad I got to see ya at SEHHA this year though.

Hooch
05-19-2008, 19:22
Really sorry to hear that Hooch. I'm glad I got to see ya at SEHHA this year though.I'm sorry to miss it, too. It's always nice seeing you, NCP. I'm moving to Charlotte in 12 days and a wakeup, so maybe we can catch up with Slowhike (or anyone else who wants to go) and do a weekend hike some time. :D

NCPatrick
05-19-2008, 19:45
I'm sorry to miss it, too. It's always nice seeing you, NCP. I'm moving to Charlotte in 12 days and a wakeup, so maybe we can catch up with Slowhike (or anyone else who wants to go) and do a weekend hike some time. :D

Sounds great. There are quite a few NC hangers now. Hoping Slowhike will be able to go. Good luck with your move too.

Mule
05-19-2008, 19:50
Hooch, really sorry to hear you can't make it. I was looking forward to seeing you again. Steve

Mule
05-19-2008, 19:52
For sure, same here.

Mule
05-19-2008, 20:27
Just wondering: Is anyone who is going to RRG a Clark hanger? Mule.

headchange4u
05-19-2008, 20:54

I think you will be the only one in a Clark.

rigidpsycho
05-20-2008, 13:28
Sorry to hear you are going be able to make it Hooch.

rigidpsycho
05-20-2008, 13:29

I'm planning on testing the ATHH hammock from Travel Hammock this weekend.

Mule
05-20-2008, 14:20
I think you will be the only one in a Clark.
I received and sent back the Clark today. I was not impressed for the price. Nice hammock and all, just like the Claytor better.

headchange4u
05-20-2008, 14:31
I received and sent back the Clark today. I was not impressed for the price. Nice hammock and all, just like the Claytor better.

Did you lay in the hammock at all or did you just decide it wasn't what you wanted by looking at it? What will you be using this weekend?

Mule
05-20-2008, 19:42
Did you lay in the hammock at all or did you just decide it wasn't what you wanted by looking at it? What will you be using this weekend?
Yes, I checked it out pretty well. It was nicely made, but there were short pieces of thread everywhere, and a bunch I had to trim too. But all in all it was pretty nice. The under pockets were what I thought they were, useless for my needs. The way the storm cover goes on and works is the best part, everything is there, but the zippers would probably leak; our home made ones are more serviceable, and the rain fly is really lacking in stability. It would flap all over the place compared to the Mac Cats....(thanks again for streering me to Brian). The way the fly was made with all the seams so that the foot side suspension strap could be close to it was not a good design for my needs. It brought the fly down close to the foot side and kept it there, but only by about a foot in height. Other rectangular and Cat Cut flies dip in the middle too and they are mostly wider too, so to me it was not something I could live with.
As I looked at the overall product, I couldn't see 370 dollars there. I called them about whether or not the rain fly would need seam sealed and they said no, it would not leak, yet I could see light coming through hundreds of needle holes.
The main thing that caused me to send it back other than the price was just the looks of it. It didn't look like a hammock I would like to show you.

I am bringing my DIY Claytor type hammock. It has short spreader bars and pull outs and is really cool. I really love it. I am taking my MacCat and Snugfit and NS. I just feel right in this type of setup.
Jason, thanks for all the things you have done to get me going in hammocks. Thanks to everyone on this site. So far almost every one of my backpacking friends have converted, that's nine of them; one went back to the ground but he may need to have that attitude looked at by a professional. (: Mule

Mule
05-21-2008, 02:57
FINAL PLANS.... In reading backwards this thread, am I right in assuming we will be meeting at the Shell Station? We will be leaving the Shell station at 2 PM? Arriving at 1 PM or so?
Here is a quote from a post:
"SO, we still plannin on the site on trail 221 tween trail 227 & trail 223??
The reason I ask is I will be getting there about 1000 AM Friday & would love to be at the right place when I set up"
Have there been any other plans made since that I didn't see?
Finally, the map in the first post is still good to go with? We are staying at the place we camped last fall?

Thanks, Steve

NCPatrick
05-21-2008, 06:56
I'm still as of today (work is pretty hectic) planning on getting to the Shell station as close to 2:00 as I can manage. At the Shell you can buy your camping permit (and whatever else you forgot). I think we're going to "wagon train" on over to the trailhead parking lot from there if I'm not mistaken.

Mule
05-21-2008, 07:17
My cell is 765-614-0500. If anyone else wants to share their number we could stay in touch if anything came up, like being ten minutes late or something. I am going to shoot to be there about 1 PM since I am coming from so far away. I will be the guy who is asleep in his car when you get there. I'll be driving a silver Chrysler Sebring.
Mule.

NCPatrick
05-21-2008, 07:27
My cell is 765-614-0500. If anyone else wants to share their number we could stay in touch if anything came up, like being ten minutes late or something. I am going to shoot to be there about 1 PM since I am coming from so far away. I will be the guy who is asleep in his car when you get there. I'll be driving a silver Chrysler Sebring.
Mule.

Yeah, I've got a long drive as well (slightly over 6 hours), but can't get away Friday until after the kids are on the bus... I'm hoping to make it by 2:30pm (sorry, best I can do!). I guess I'll probably be the latest getting to the Shell. If you're not still at the Shell I'll try to call you or HC4U and find my way to the trailhead.

headchange4u
05-21-2008, 07:53
We can all just go from the Shell to the parking and trail head. I'll probably get there about 2:00. You can get your permit and other items at the Shell station.

Mule
05-21-2008, 10:41
Yeah, I've got a long drive as well (slightly over 6 hours), but can't get away Friday until after the kids are on the bus... I'm hoping to make it by 2:30pm (sorry, best I can do!). I guess I'll probably be the latest getting to the Shell. If you're not still at the Shell I'll try to call you or HC4U and find my way to the trailhead.
I for one will wait on you if you give me a call on my cell if you are going to be after 2PM

NCPatrick
05-21-2008, 11:24
Sounds good. Thanks! I'll keep your number handy.

animalcontrol
05-22-2008, 11:27
Wish I could attend and meet everyone, but...as a 32 year veteran of the INDY 500, that is where I'll be this weekend.
I've camped in RRG many times and I'm in for the next hang!!

Good luck and great weather!

Mule
05-22-2008, 12:01
Wish I could attend and meet everyone, but...as a 32 year veteran of the INDY 500, that is where I'll be this weekend.
I've camped in RRG many times and I'm in for the next hang!!

Good luck and great weather!
Bring a radio and come to the Gorge. I bet you will have your best time ever. Hey, we are just up the road from each other, you could ride down with me. Steve

animalcontrol
05-22-2008, 12:55
Bring a radio and come to the Gorge. I bet you will have your best time ever. Hey, we are just up the road from each other, you could ride down with me. Steve
Steve
There aren't too many things I won't give up for a great weekend in the woods, but the INDY 500 is one.
I have family from all across the US in town (at my house) and my son (11 yrs old) just loves to go too!
Everything about my hammocking is currently being revamped...new hammock, suspension, pads etc so I'll be craving real camping after a few test nights at home. Your DIY Claytor looks better than the original!
I have never camped Indiana north of Indy...you will have to show me around.
Part of me will still be jealous this weekend...enjoy!
Andy

Mule
05-22-2008, 13:05
That's all cool. Have a great weekend and I will contact you on my next trip to the Hoosier National. Should be about 2 or 3 weeks away. We might Kayak in, too. Steve.

Mule
05-22-2008, 13:15
If so, I don't want to be the only one without. Is anyone bringing booze? Mule

NCPatrick
05-22-2008, 13:42
If so, I don't want to be the only one without. Is anyone bringing booze? Mule

Oh, I don't know. Is it a dry county?

NCPatrick
05-22-2008, 13:57
Looks like I'll be there at the Shell station closer to 2:30. I decided to take the (20 min) longer highway route rather than wind through the backroads of Appalachia.

If I were better at following Google directions while driving, I'd take the more scenic route, but I'm not that good at it and don't want to stress out about finding my way within the given timeframe.

headchange4u
05-22-2008, 14:21

I can't remember for sure.

NCPatrick
05-22-2008, 14:37
I can't remember for sure.

How conveeeeenient... :D

headchange4u
05-22-2008, 14:46
The town I live in is wet. :p

Mule
05-22-2008, 15:03
Well, is anyone bringing booze? If anyone else is I will too. Mule

rigidpsycho
05-22-2008, 17:02

yes it is, there is alot bootleggers around the area though.

Mule
05-22-2008, 17:05
Sounds like a plan to me. NCP, what direction are you coming in from? Charleston or Knoxville?

HC4U
NCPatrick
Rigidpsycho
Hooch

Possibly:
Doctari
Coffee
Skskinner
Cavediver2
What does the list look like now, the day before the hike begins? I should be on the Yes list now. Mule

rigidpsycho
05-22-2008, 17:05
Well, is anyone bringing booze? If anyone else is I will too. Mule

I don't know yet, I might bring a flask of bourbon

cavediver2
05-22-2008, 17:42
I am not going to be able to make this I have a very close friend that is dieing of cancer and was asked to take care of him all day saturday so I am going to stay with him and maybe get him to play guitar with me one more time. It is a crying shame to see someone as strong and outgoing as he was to surcome to this.

I lost my cousin three years ago to the very same thing it just is not right for anyone to go like that.

I will be thinking of you all while your out there I guess I will just keep hanging around here.

Ramblinrev
05-22-2008, 17:57
caverdiver2 in all likelihood your presence and kindness will mean more than you may ever know. Just remember the core being of your friend has not changed. The body may be deteriorating but he still is who he has always been inside where it matters. I have found that perspective helpful in those times when I have had to attend to dying friends or parishioners. I trust it will bring you some comfort as well.

Mule
05-22-2008, 19:02
I don't know yet, I might bring a flask of bourbon
OK, I will put in a flask of Scotch, LaFroig!!!!

Mule
05-22-2008, 21:51
One more question.
Are we still going to camp in the same spot as last fall? Mule

headchange4u
05-22-2008, 22:30
One more question.
Are we still going to camp in the same spot as last fall? Mule

That's the current plan.:D

Mule
05-23-2008, 07:06
I Am On My Way, See Y'all There. Mule

Hooch
05-23-2008, 12:27
For those who are attending the RRG Hang.....you guys suck!

Just kidding, hope you all have a great time, good weather and a couple good night's rest off the ground. Hope to see a full trip report and some pix when you get back. Better watch out, though. I hear there are some trail thugs out there somewhere around Rough Trail. Word is they've been out there since last fall and have yet to be apprehended. :rolleyes::D

fin
05-23-2008, 14:43
Looks like you'll have a good variety of temps - from upper 40's to upper 80's. Should be interesting, wish I was going. :(

Hooch
05-24-2008, 05:25
The planets suddenly aligned last night, so I'm headed out this morning. I should be at the trailhead by 10 and down at the site by 11. :D Yay me! :p

Hooch
05-25-2008, 13:23
Ok, I dunno about the rest of the gang, but I'm home after a wonderful overnighter at the Gorge. Just what the doctor ordered to relieve the stress of packing and moving. I'm sure there will be plenty of pictures and a couple trip reports forthcoming. I'll try to post pix before the move, but a good time was had by all!

headchange4u
05-25-2008, 14:11
It was a terrific trip. A little rain on Friday night to help test the JRB Hammock Hut (which did excellent) and great company. Weather was perfect Saturday and for our trip out Sunday. I had a great time. Pictures and more details to follow.

Oh yeah. Ask Doctari what the alcohol for his stove tastes like....:D ;) :p

slowhike
05-25-2008, 19:48
It was a terrific trip. A little rain on Friday night to help test the JRB Hammock Hut (which did excellent) and great company. Weather was perfect Saturday and for our trip out Sunday. I had a great time. Pictures and more details to follow.

hey Doc... that stuff's poison ya know:eek:

Mule
05-25-2008, 21:02
Yep, terrific trip to the gorge. It was good to see everyone who came. Pictures following soon. Mule

Lost
05-25-2008, 21:42

Can't wait to hear this story! By the way, did he wear his kilt this weekend?Glad you all had a good time and I look forward to the pictures.

NCPatrick
05-25-2008, 22:07
Yes! I had a fantastic time. I made it back safely at 5:00pm today. I've got some pics up here (http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/RedRiverGorgeMay2008).

Mule
05-25-2008, 22:48
Here are some more photos.
Picasa Web Albums - mule.47 - New Album 5/2... (http://picasaweb.google.com/skskinner44/NewAlbum52508RRG)
Mule

Hooch
05-26-2008, 05:34
Mule and NCP, glad you guys made it home safe and sound. I'm sure we'll hear from Doctari today sometime, since he finishes his 24 hour shift this morning. Thanks for coming up. I couldn't imagine a better group of guys to hike/hang with for my last trip to the Gorge as a Kentucky resident. Always a pleasure to see every one of y'all. :D

slowhike
05-26-2008, 05:35
Wow!!! That's an awesome place!
I enjoyed looking at the pictures, & I hope I'll make it out there one of these days.

Hooch
05-26-2008, 05:39
I enjoyed looking at the pictures, & I hope I'll make it out there one of these days.
Hopefully, you can ride up with me in the fall, Tim. I think the plan is to have one of these in the fall and spring every year.

slowhike
05-26-2008, 05:40
Hopefully, you can ride up with me in the fall, Tim. I think the plan is to have one of these in the fall and spring every year.

That would be great. I hope it works out.

NCPatrick
05-26-2008, 10:24
Great pics Mule. :) I love the wide angle lens... gives a much better perspective of the grandeur of the rock ledges.

Narwhalin
05-26-2008, 10:41

I'll second that!

Those were some breathtaking photos, mule. I have those nervous butterfly chills welling up in my chest right now! I wanna go! :D :D

rigidpsycho
05-26-2008, 11:12
I had a great time with meeting everyone and getting to see everyones setups. Pictures to come later.

Doctari
05-26-2008, 14:05
I got home safely about 11PM Sat :(

I So hated to leave! Great site, great company, great weather. It was just GREAT all round. Sadly, I had to go earn hiking money, which means: be at work by 7AM Sunday.

On my way out, less than 100 yards from where we were, I met a camper who was out for his very first night in a hammock. I stopped, gave a few quick pointers, aimed him at the rest of the group & hoofed it to my car. I hope he did OK, he had the same hammock I do, good choice. Did he come visit? I also pointed him here to HF.

I did the 2.5 miles to my car in about 1 hr, even with stopping to help the new hanger. That is a record for me, woo hoo!

rigidpsycho
05-26-2008, 14:28
Did he come visit?

Nope we didn't have any visitors, but Hooch, mule and myself ran into young guys from Louisville,KY that were hanging not far from Gray's Arch. We(Hooch) also directed them to the site.

Mule
05-26-2008, 14:42
Doctari, ncpatrick and rigidpsycho, It was great to meet you and to hear your stories. Looking forward to the next time we hang together.

Headchange4u and hooch, really nice to hang with you again. Looking forward to the fall hangout now.

Hooch
05-26-2008, 14:50
As always, it's a wonderful experience to hike/camp with other HF members. It's a great pleasure to have gotten to camp with Doctari, HC4U, Rigidpsycho, Mule and NCP. You guys are great to hang out with, your company for the time I could get to the hang was just what I needed. I look forward to the time when I can hang with every one of you guys again. Thanks again to each one one of you. :D

headchange4u
05-27-2008, 12:00
As always, I was testing some gear this weekend. The JRB HH performed wonderfully. It was really nice to have the privacy and large covered area under the tarp. It did rain Friday but the tarp kept me and my gear as dry as a bone. There was a little condensation under the tarp come morning, but I did have it completely closed off all night, including the beaks.

I also used the Trucker's Hitch suspension system on this trip and it worked flawlessly. It was a good thing I decided to bring it, because the trees I I hung from were pretty far apart, and I don't know if my standard webbing/cinch buckles would have spanned the distance.

I almost left the TH system at home because when I was getting my gear together Thursday night, a piece of the Amsteel Blue fell into the cup of water I was drinking and it seemed to soak up the water. I decided to go ahead and use the TH system because according to the weather forecast, there was only a 30% chance of rain on Friday. Of course it ended up raining from about 9 p.m. Friday night until Saturday Morning. I kept checking the area around the whipping to see if water was wicking down the support lines to the hammock, but everything stayed bone dry. I checked the Amsteel in the morning and it was indeed wet but the moisture had stopped at the ring.

I also was back in my DIY HH for the first time in a while. I had forgotten just how comfortable that hammock was. Unfortunately, I had a major zipper malfunction on Saturday night that will cause me to retire the HH clone until I get it fixed. Everything worked just great Friday night and for my nap on Saturday. I was using the fabric top cover. When I went to bed on Saturday night, the zipper kept hanging when it tried to turn the corner on the side tie out location. I finally got the zipper past the hang point, but although the slider moved freely now, it was not actually closing the zipper and my weight in the hammock was causing the zipper to come apart. The area on both sides of the zipper was open and would not zip up. No big deal, I thought. I had brought my netting top cover with me so I decided to put it on instead of the fabric cover. One side zipped on fine but I could not get the other side to zip on to save my life. It was like the netting cover was to small. I am guessing that my ridge line may have stretched a little since I had last used the netting cover. Finally, after about 45 minutes of struggling with the covers, in the dark, I managed to get the netting cover zipped on about 3/4 of the way and I held the remaining area closed with a couple of micro biners.

After getting the cover on well enough to get me through the night, I got in the hammock and immediately noticed that the smaller netting cover dramatically changed the way the hammock felt. The fabric cover left some slack in the sides of the hammock, but the smaller netting cover cause tight sides on the hammock, introducing some shoulder squeeze. I was still comfortable and flat, but the shoulder squeeze was very noticeable and made sleeping on my side hard to do.

After all the issues with the zipper I knew that I would have to use a different hammock for a while. My TTTM was to first one that came to mind and I started thinking about a bug netting system for the hammock. It was at that time that another idea came into my head about a new design on a suspension system, loosely based on the TH system, that I think is going to work really well. It will allow you to have adjustable sag and will be very light weight. I will post details when I get a chance.

BTW Mule,

Those are some great pics. I'm gonna have to start bringing my DSLR on my hikes.

rigidpsycho
05-27-2008, 15:21
I didn't get to test the ATHH from Travel Hammock like I had planned. I went out in my backyard Friday night hung it up and the suspension rope broke and down I went to the ground.

Lost
05-27-2008, 20:29
Beautiful photo's NCPatrick and Mule. No hiker thugs this year?;)

Glad you all had a good time, and Hooch, I'm glad you got to go. Hope the move go well.

Mule
05-27-2008, 20:47
Hi Cerberus's Mom, We would have liked to have Nest along. Glad he's diggin his walk. Steve

*HangMan*
05-27-2008, 22:03
GO TO HANSON'S POINT!!! I can't express this enough, this is the most beautiful hidden trail at the RRG.
Just hike Pinch-em Tight trail to the Rough Trail, take a left, go @400 ft and the trail to Hanson's Point is on the right. Hanson's Point is not on the map or marked by a trail sign. Follow the trail straight in; at the first junction, veer left; at the second junction, veer left. Do not take 221 to the left at the last junction or you will miss it...you go straight at that junction on an unmarked trail. it's about 2.5 miles from the parking area. it's a big area to camp out at.

I guarantee you will think the same. ENJOY! Attached are some pics from April 26th.

Mule
05-28-2008, 05:57
GO TO HANSON'S POINT!!! I can't express this enough, this is the most beautiful hidden trail at the RRG.
Just hike Pinch-em Tight trail to the Rough Trail, take a left, go @400 ft and the trail to Hanson's Point is on the right. Hanson's Point is not on the map or marked by a trail sign. Follow the trail straight in; at the first junction, veer left; at the second junction, veer left. Do not take 221 to the left at the last junction or you will miss it...you go straight at that junction on an unmarked trail. it's about 2.5 miles from the parking area. it's a big area to camp out at.

I guarantee you will think the same. ENJOY! Attached are some pics from April 26th.
Do you park at the same parking lot as when doing the Grey's Arch and Rough Trail, near the Shell Station?

NCPatrick
05-28-2008, 07:42
Beautiful photo's NCPatrick and Mule. No hiker thugs this year?;)

Glad you all had a good time, and Hooch, I'm glad you got to go. Hope the move go well.

Thanks! Wish you could have made this hangout. Maybe next time around?

headchange4u
05-28-2008, 07:44

I'm not familiar with that spot. Thanks for sharing. I always like to find new places in the Gorge.

NCPatrick
05-28-2008, 14:20
Hmmm. it's asking me for a password/email address. Is it a public album?

rigidpsycho
05-28-2008, 14:44
Had to delete last post so check out my gallery. I just uploaded them there instead.

Iafte
05-28-2008, 15:19
Hmmm. it's asking me for a password/email address. Is it a public album?

No, he just didn't want YOU seeing the shots he took of you when you didn't know.:eek::D

NCPatrick
05-28-2008, 19:40
No, he just didn't want YOU seeing the shots he took of you when you didn't know.:eek::D

I'm happy there are no thug shots of us all... :p

I'm amazed that anyone can delete posts still. Am I the only one without this option? :confused:

Lost
05-28-2008, 21:14
What about pictures of Hooch flipping this year? And we want details about Doctari's ETOL consumption!

NCPatrick
05-29-2008, 06:55
Hooch did not flip this year (to my knowledge anyway).

Doctari was just about to show us how he didn't have to filter his water. He said "This is how I filter my water!" and took a big swig from his bottle. What he didn't know was that the bottle he drank from was a bottle he had stored his alcohol (for his stove) in. He dropped it immediately and spit it all out, and we were all left wondering what the joke was until he told us what had happened.

He didn't ingest any of it fortunately, and we had some other types of alcohol for him to wash his mouth out with so he ended up being fine and survived unharmed.

Moral of the story: make sure to mark your alcohol bottle in such a way that it doesn't get mistaken for something else.

Hooch
05-29-2008, 07:18
Hooch did not flip this year (to my knowledge anyway). NCP's statement is both true and factual. I did not flip this time, managing to stay off the ground except when seated for a meal. There were no trail thugs this time, but it's my understanding that one of the thugs we spotted last year was recently seen on the AT, just north of Pearisburg. :D FWIW, I didn't get there in time to lay witness to the whole "Doctari drinks his stove fuel" fiasco, but the version of the story I heard straight from the proverbial horse's mouth was enough to have me in stitches for several minutes. :D

Doctari
05-29-2008, 10:47
:mad: That was OUR secret :mad:

:D Got you!! :D Yea after the fact, I thought it was funny too. A combination of Arogence, carelessness, showing off, being over tired & switching fuel bottles in the parking lot led to a bad scene. My water bottle is a 1 ltr gatorade, my usual fuel bottle is a .5 ltr water bottle (Disani I think) I put my fuel into a .5 ltr Gatorade bottle, thinking that was enough. My water bottle even has a orange cap, the fuel one had a clear cap, I even NOTICED the cap was clear :rolleyes: But my hand said that "Gatorade bottle = bottle with water in it! Water bottle = bottle with fuel in it!" so,,,,,,,,,,,,

BTW, that stuff tasted NASTY NASTY NASTY!!!! And, my fuel bottle is CLEARLY marked now, and back in the "water bottle".

As Patrick says: "Moral of the story: make sure to mark your alcohol bottle in such a way that it doesn't get mistaken for something else!" & I evn knew this very very well!

Doctari was just about to show us how he didn't have to filter his water. He said "This is how I filter my water!" and took a big swig from his bottle. What he didn't know was that the bottle he drank from was a bottle he had stored his alcohol (for his stove) in. He dropped it immediately and spit it all out, and we were all left wondering what the joke was until he told us what had happened.

He didn't ingest any of it fortunately, and we had some other types of alcohol for him to wash his mouth out with so he ended up being fine and survived unharmed.

Moral of the story: make sure to mark your alcohol bottle in such a way that it doesn't get mistaken for something else.

cavediver2
05-29-2008, 11:05
So what goes on a trip does not stay on the trip that is good information to know. I will remember that when I go on hangs:D

Glad you guys had a good time and everyone made it home okay.

My freind passed away early yesterday morning

NCPatrick
05-29-2008, 12:15
So what goes on a trip does not stay on the trip that is good information to know. I will remember that when I go on hangs:D

Glad you guys had a good time and everyone made it home okay.

My freind passed away early yesterday morning

Sorry to hear about your friend. :(

rigidpsycho
05-29-2008, 12:16
Sorry to hear about your friend cavediver.

NCPatrick
05-29-2008, 12:17

Make sure there's not a camera around then... right Hooch?

Iafte
05-29-2008, 13:07
Sorry to hear about your friend cavediver.

Youngblood
05-29-2008, 13:09
As Patrick says: "Moral of the story: make sure to mark your alcohol bottle in such a way that it doesn't get mistaken for something else!"

That or use a dual use alcohol fuel.:D

NCPatrick
05-29-2008, 13:18
Hey, I like that idea much better. And they make some good stuff over there too. :p

cavediver2
05-29-2008, 13:19
wonder how shine would burn for fuel?

NCPatrick
05-29-2008, 13:21
You might run out of "fuel" before you got a chance to cook with it... of course, you might not care at that point either :D.

Hooch
05-29-2008, 14:31
Make sure there's not a camera around then... right Hooch?I really don't want to talk about it. :rolleyes::p

headchange4u
05-29-2008, 14:50
wonder how shine would burn for fuel?

There was a little of that stuff floating around the hang out also. It was never tested to see how it burned, but it was mighty tasty.

Coffee
05-29-2008, 15:00
I think it will burn very well. I'm working on my campfire fire breathing skills.

headchange4u
05-29-2008, 15:13
I think it will burn very well. I'm working on my campfire fire breathing skills.

NCPatrick told me about you "Blue Pad Of Happiness" and how you used it to fan a fire. I thought that was funny.

*HangMan*
05-30-2008, 07:35
Do you park at the same parking lot as when doing the Grey's Arch and Rough Trail, near the Shell Station?

Better late than never huh...sorry. I've been really busy on the homefront.
CORRECT... Drive to the Gray's Arch parking area and park, then take the Pinch'Em Tight trail to the Rough Trail to the side trail out to Hanson's Point.