PDA

View Full Version : Yoga mat

Annie
03-25-2008, 19:31
Has anyone thought of using a yoga mat to make a pad?
They're lightweight, inexpensive, wide, and flexible..???

headchange4u
03-25-2008, 19:34
I've looked at yoga pads before. They seem to be pretty dense and heavy compared to the CCF camping pads.

Coffee
03-25-2008, 20:09
way heavier than ccp.

Otter1
03-25-2008, 21:12
I found one at TJ Maxx awhile back that is the lightest I've seen. $5, too! It works as a great pack frame when folded and for insulation in warmer weather when I don't take my UQ. Super light, but I haven't seen any more like it.

neo
03-26-2008, 16:56
Has anyone thought of using a yoga mat to make a pad?
They're lightweight, inexpensive, wide, and flexible..???

they are way heavier:cool: neo

Annie
03-26-2008, 17:02
For car camping, seems like they'd work fine.:)

Coffee
03-26-2008, 19:13
Probibly. You can get the ccp for $5 or so at walmart.

Annie
03-26-2008, 21:50
Yeah, but I already have an old skinny beatup yoga mat :)
I'm gonna try it this weekend...

Boghog1
03-28-2008, 14:34
Here is something I have been thinking about http://www.foambymail.com/Volara.html We used it when doing sunroof when I was in the car business and they use it for landeau tops. Since I don't have a hammock yet I can't see myself spending the money but it seems pretty cheap to me.

hacktorious
02-26-2009, 09:28
I think this is a good idea. I am going to try it tonight. I would expect the yoga mat to be warmer than the CCF because it is denser and heavier. However, it is much easier to pack than a bulky ccf.

Take-a-knee
02-26-2009, 09:45
I think this is a good idea. I am going to try it tonight. I would expect the yoga mat to be warmer than the CCF because it is denser and heavier. However, it is much easier to pack than a bulky ccf.

I'm guessing the lighter pads will be warmer, they contain more air bubbles, like evazote.

Ekul
02-26-2009, 10:08
Didnt like my wifes yoga pad when we were state park camping. it was a nice cushion but she was freezing and I was fine. Same sleeping bag btw and they were mated. I was using a zlite which isnt that warm to begin with. 2.2rvalue if i remember. Ive never seen a rvalue associated with a yoga mat.

MacEntyre
02-26-2009, 10:48
Here is something I have been thinking about http://www.foambymail.com/Volara.html
Here's a thread on Volara foam (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6501).

-leftfield-
03-01-2009, 14:59
i used, and really liked, a crazy creek camp chair. it goes all the way from shoulder to hips which is all one really needs (if its really cold, put feet on backpack). and, it easily doubles as a camp chair... quite swank.

hacktorious
03-01-2009, 22:27
I saw some nice insulation at Lowes. It had the space blanket material on the outsides, and plastic with air bubbles on the inside. It was $30 for 25'. I am thinking about getting some and trying it out. It is pretty thin, light, and roles up nicely. Not sure how warm it will be though.

If anyone is interested in going in on a role, we could divide it up at MAHHA 09.

adkpiper
03-01-2009, 23:49
Scott, you're probably looking at a roll of Reflectix insulation.

Good stuff, but the bubbles tend to pop.

hacktorious
03-03-2009, 07:03
Scott, you're probably looking at a roll of Reflectix insulation.

Good stuff, but the bubbles tend to pop.

That's what I was afraid of.

ritzhenson
04-10-2009, 19:17
I have hung down to twenty degrees with no underquilt using that stuff in the sleeve of my Tom Claytor. Been fine. No popped bubbles so far after about ten hangs using this Reflectix exclusively.

hacktorious
04-10-2009, 21:43
I have hung down to twenty degrees with no underquilt using that stuff in the sleeve of my Tom Claytor. Been fine. No popped bubbles so far after about ten hangs using this Reflectix exclusively.

That's excellent. How much lighter weight is it than the 3/8" blue foam pad? All I have seen is a 25' role and it seems pretty light.

rat44
04-11-2009, 11:21
I tried Reflectix last night in my new Blackbird....worked very well. Temps only got to about 40, but I was nice and warm. When I woke up, my back was damp with sweat under my microfleece top.

I bought a roll a year or so back to make pot cozies, and never thought about using it for a pad until I saw an old post about it. My Blackbird is a single 1.7, so I was sleeping directly on the Reflectix. I had no trouble with bubbles popping in my one hang. The stuff is very light (no scale) but it is bulky. Definitely needs to be rolled...no folding.

-Scott

hacktorious
04-11-2009, 15:42
That's cool. However, I would only recommend using the Reflectix as a backup for a down quilt in an emergency.