PDA

View Full Version : Gar-Quilt All-in-one

gargoyle
08-12-2011, 13:59
Its a tq, a full-length uq and a double layer uq. Its a under hammock storage area, pad holder, and just plain comfy.
I made this to fit my big dimensions, and give me room to move without the quilt sliding off. Right now, with limited testing, I'd call it a summer topquilt, or three season uq. Folding the quilt doubles the insulation and adds an air gap. Adding a pad or windscreen in the gap between the hammock and quilt would definitely add warmth and versatility.

Now available on my site. See below post for link.

Basic shockcord suspension, with carabiners for removal as a tq. Shockcord cinches on the ends, and cordlocks. 90" x 60", synthetic insul. (feels like a thinsulate or thin climashield) 3/8" loft. 1.1 quilted ripstop on both sides (similar to poncho liner fabric). Total weight with oddball biners and s.c. is 29 oz. Rolls up in to a package the size of two nalgene water bottles. Size and weight can vary to fit different sized folks.
EDIT: Pics added in Post #16 of this thread, of the G-Q in stuff sack. Dimensions are 10" x 14".

Hung as a full uq. Normal biners and two shockcords over the hammock ends. Space between the hammock and quilt for storing loose gear, like a coat. Adding a pad/windscreen would supplement temp ratings. So far, its done fine in 60* nights alone. Further testing will be done as temps fall.

Attaching the biners to the tie-outs, but on top of the hammock, the quilt can cinch around the foot and head ends.

Switching the biners on top, the quilt forms a enclosed insulated sock. My daughter is inside there.;) Its semi enclosed with me in there, closes to around my waist.

Folding the quilt in half (60" wide x 45"long) and readjusting the shockcord suspension, forms a double layer underquilt. Theres a great space for possibly slipping in a pad to add to the quilts ability for cooler weather. Folding doubles the loft and creates an air space between the layers. The overall width covers the shoulders nicely, no matter how you move. One extra length of s.c is clipped to the biners and runs inside the fold of the quilt.

The additional length of shockcord runs under the hammock, forming a good, flexible seal.

Switched to topquilt mode, the ends are cinched down forming a footbox on one end. At the head end the cinching forms a headhole. Tying the shockcord ends together, and slipping the quilt over your head keeps the quilt in place as you move in the hammock.

A view of the cinched and tied headhole.

Redoleary
08-12-2011, 15:14
Very nice G! I am impressed. Its too bad you couldn't have found a brighter color. :lol: A pair of those would likely get you through the summer (one on top and one underneath), and maybe a little more with some long johns etc. Or could be an extra layer in the winter. Def. has lots of possibilities....me likey.
Still warm when wet I imagine, given its synth. insulation?

NewtonGT
08-12-2011, 17:37
very interesting! new stuff :D. love how it can do multiple things!

gargoyle
08-12-2011, 18:14
Thanks Red and Newton.
Its available on my site, if your interested.

G.L.P.
08-12-2011, 18:23
this will be a very nice option for new comers ..... ;)
looks really cool.. i can't wait to see some in the field reviews :D

Cranky Bear
08-12-2011, 19:17
Very nice G!

Hawk-eye
08-12-2011, 19:29
One slick concept Gar! Way to go!

TFC Rick
08-12-2011, 20:13
Oooooo I'm gonna have to spend $65 I don't have. That's nice.

G.L.P.
08-12-2011, 20:27
this would be a nice add on for winter car camping as well.. i'll be getting one down the line for sure ... this would make a nice TQ liner for winter

the more i look at it i really like the idea and the price is really nice .. gargoyle
you hit gold on this one ;)

gargoyle
08-12-2011, 21:06
this will be a very nice option for new comers ..... ;)
looks really cool.. i can't wait to see some in the field reviews :D
Thanks GLP I'm heading out now.

Very nice G!
Thanks CB

One slick concept Gar! Way to go!
I'll post some pics of it packed down.

Oooooo I'm gonna have to spend $65 I don't have. That's nice.
Dont blame your gearaholicness on me.:lol:

this would be a nice add on for winter car camping as well.. i'll be getting one down the line for sure ... this would make a nice TQ liner for winter

the more i look at it i really like the idea and the price is really nice .. gargoyle
you hit gold on this one ;)
Thanks again, I'm thinking of tweaking a few things already. OOOHHH the insanity.:scared::eek::lol:

TFC Rick
08-12-2011, 21:17
And it's my favorite color!?! Pay day will not be here fast enough.

Hawk-eye
08-12-2011, 21:44
Any chance of offerings in more stealthy colors?

gargoyle
08-13-2011, 06:20
Any chance of offerings in more stealthy colors?

I'm looking Hawkeye. ;) Black? Camo?:boggle: :cool:

Overnight backyard test was a success. Used the Gar-quilt in the full, single-layer, uq mode. Temps were only 65*, light breeze @ 5-mph, no tarp. I wore a t-shirt and a pair of shorts. Light down tq on top, that I vented often due to overheating.
Skeeters hated the uq.:lol: They couldn't get to my backside, so thats a plus!
It started raining at 6:30, and the bladder said go in the house.

TZBrown
08-13-2011, 09:39
Great looking quilt
looking forward to more field reviews.

TZ

Hawk-eye
08-13-2011, 11:49
I'm looking Hawkeye. ;) Black? Camo?:boggle: :cool:

Any or either or both ... I think you've got yourself a winner here Gargoyle!

gargoyle
08-14-2011, 06:41
Heres a pic of the quilt in a stuff sack.
Dimension of the stuff sack are 10 x 14.

bloomgorge
08-14-2011, 07:53
that looks pretty nice...hopefully you have one on the manitou trip. i also like the updates to the site, looks very nice and clean. i'm hoping you'll have an ogee 11 tarp with you as well.

gargoyle
08-14-2011, 08:03
that looks pretty nice...hopefully you have one on the manitou trip. i also like the updates to the site, looks very nice and clean. i'm hoping you'll have an ogee 11 tarp with you as well.

Thanks Patrick.
I will have the complete G ensemble there. :)
And help carry TZ's stuff too. ;)

gargoyle
08-15-2011, 14:39
ARRGGHH!
My supplier does not have any more ORANGE. :(

But I did find some COYOTE, which makes it a less loud quilt. ;)

I'm still working on tracking down more colors.

TFC Rick
08-15-2011, 14:56
Noooooo!!!!

gargoyle
08-17-2011, 09:08
I used two Gar-quilts (GQ) to form a crazy warm pod system.
Connected one quilt as a full-length UQ, cinching the ends snug. Then clipped the topcovering GQ onto the same biners as the bottom quilt, draping the top GQ over the hammock ridgeline. I left the shockcord cinches loose on the top GQ.

The top GQ stays put securely, so theres no worry about it falling on the ground. Entry is accomplished by flipping the top GQ back over the ridgeline. There is a center tieout on the quilt so you could clip the quilt up the ridgeline for lounging or sitting.

Fully closed, the two quilts lap over each other completely. The two ends are open a few inches, allowing for ventilation. Since the sides aren't connected, it easy to poke your head out for a view or grabbing gear. Poking your head out the side gap would eleviate most breath condensation outside of the pod.

And a foot shot of the interior. Roomy, without any problems with a diagonal lay. Really cozy with the insulated topcover.

Redoleary
08-17-2011, 10:09
Look'n good G. Almost an insulated sock.

NewtonGT
08-18-2011, 12:59
wow I mean now we got a top cover? and its insulated?! for that price? just aweasome man :)

TFC Rick
08-29-2011, 12:51
Guys I bought the Orange Gar-Quilt and it is awesome. I intended to do a review this weekend while I was on call, but spent most of my time at the hospital so it didn't happen. I will do my best to crank this out in the next few days.

Thanks again G for the outstanding work.

Rick

gargoyle
08-29-2011, 15:39
Thanks again G for the outstanding work.

Rick

My pleasure Rick. :) Glad your liking the GQ.

finskie
08-29-2011, 15:45
any idea on temp rating?

gargoyle
08-29-2011, 16:17
any idea on temp rating?

I'm good to 50 so far, gotta get some cooler nights to confirm cooler ratings.

spamburglar
08-29-2011, 22:50
I've been using a fleece throw as a pad in the eno double and its been good to 60 so far. This can only be better. My order will definitely be placed on payday!!

NewtonGT
08-30-2011, 13:44
what about the garquilt garpod? ( peapod )

TFC Rick
08-30-2011, 14:01
I will absoloutely buy another one of these to create the Gar-pod, but i will have to wait til it's in the cold season lest we have unrest in this house hold!

I know I sound like a giddy school girl, but this thing is awesome. The work is great and the stuff sack looks nothing like a store bought one......it looks better. It's obvious that this guy takes great care and pride in his work and he has me hooked as a customer.

Not sure how my wallet feels about that (but his prices are really decent too), but I'm hooked none the less.

gargoyle
08-30-2011, 14:26
what about the garquilt garpod? ( peapod )

I havent tested the G-pod anymore due to warm temps. I did the pics during a 60* morning and it got toasty fast in there.

I will absoloutely buy another one of these to create the Gar-pod, but i will have to wait til it's in the cold season lest we have unrest in this house hold!

I know I sound like a giddy school girl, but this thing is awesome. The work is great and the stuff sack looks nothing like a store bought one......it looks better. It's obvious that this guy takes great care and pride in his work and he has me hooked as a customer.

Not sure how my wallet feels about that (but his prices are really decent too), but I'm hooked none the less.

Thanks Rick.

NewtonGT
08-30-2011, 17:25
im no DIY guy at all and have no idea what im talking about haha but would it easier if they were sewn together for the pod or what? Im just very interested in this. I like the idea of it and I like synthetic :D

gargoyle
08-30-2011, 20:19
Newton,
In the pics on this thread, the two quilts overlap each other nicely, giving a decent seal. The mid tieouts can be clipped together. But really not an issue.
Its important to keep some airflow so you dont have issues with condensation.
Having the two seperate quilts allow for easy in and out, or reaching out for gear or peeking out looking for bears.

NewtonGT
08-30-2011, 21:57
Newton,
In the pics on this thread, the two quilts overlap each other nicely, giving a decent seal. The mid tieouts can be clipped together. But really not an issue.
Its important to keep some airflow so you dont have issues with condensation.
Having the two seperate quilts allow for easy in and out, or reaching out for gear or peeking out looking for bears.

thats a good point. see Im definently new to the winter aspect of it all. im from SC anyway haha. i dont see much below 30

mbcruzin
08-31-2011, 13:35
I'm definitely putting this on my wish list :boggle: and you can't beat the price on this........ maybe two for the wish list :cool: .

08-31-2011, 16:12
yup, im looking to try to get one. i doubt ill have one before the midstate hang, but dang it would be nice to try it out and show off/demo it for everybody (cough, cough ;) )

TFC Rick
08-31-2011, 17:43
I have been meaning to do a full review comets with pictures, but I just haven't had the right timing so far. Since there are already pictures of it in this thread I will just describe my experience so far.

The first thing I noticed is how small it packs down to. It's approximately the size of a two liter bottle. I think thats pretty impressive for a huge synthetic blanket. It's also not as heavy as I thought it would be. The closest thing I have to compare the GQ to is a poncho liner. It's light years better than that though. The stuff sack is very well made and looks super durable.

The tie outs are very secure and are in perfect spacing.

The "cinch cords" gargoyle uses are very interesting. I haven't seen this style before but it's very easy to use. I'll add a picture soon. The cord is internal to the blanket instead of having a loose string flopping around.

I am in Florida and since we are only 5 feet from the surface of the sun I haven't had a chance to really use it yet, but I have played with it in the house.

In the air conditioning of my home where I was a little chilly, I crawled in and was over heated within minutes. I am so excited to try this thing when it cools off.

At that point I will provide a full review complete with pic and maybe video.

Thanks again Gargoyle for the great work and super fast service.

Dannytoo
12-19-2011, 08:16
I just found this and it seem to be what I have been looking for, I hope.
What colors does it come in?
Will it or could you make one that would fit a Hennessy Explorer with zip mod?
What is the price?
What temp. is this?
I will be away from my computer but will check back to night.
Thanks
Dan

kobold
12-19-2011, 10:40
What is the price?
What temp. is this?
Thanks
Dan

hth, dan: http://gargoylegear.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2469089

Dannytoo
12-19-2011, 17:54
What is the price?
What temp. is this?
Thanks
Dan
I saw the price and size but didn't see the Temp. degree rate or if it will fit a Hennessy Explorer Zip mod?

gargoyle
12-19-2011, 18:28
I haven't tried it on a HH, but it should fit fine as long as it is a zip mod and not a bottom entry. I'm not sure how well it would do with the bottom entry? Perhaps one of the owners of the g-q will test it on a HH?;)

Presently I am out of stock/fabric to make any more and am saving my pennies to do another run. But that takes time.

Color choice will be determined at time of my ordering fabric. I'm leaning towards a black and tan model next. Those seem to be popular colors. But I am open to suggestions..
As for a temp rating, I used the quilt down to 30* along with a window reflector inside the folded quilt. I used the Garquilt as an underquilt. I slept comfortably. Never had a chill.
But temp ratings are so subjective to each individual. I was hoping for feedback from the previous customers.
Thanks for looking and when I get more fabric, I will let you all know.

G:)

mbcruzin
12-19-2011, 18:41
I shot the gargoyle an email about the temp rating. The reply was 30* for him. I still have this on my wish list.

Dannytoo
12-19-2011, 19:15
Please keep me posted if it will go down to 30* that is what I am looking for, I live in Texas and with a pad that would be just right. I would like to buy one.
Color suggestion, Coyote Brown or Green would work for me?

ToeShoeHiker
06-06-2012, 00:00
If he ever gets any more materials back in stock, ORDER IT. I asked him to use a poncho liner for me, and his work is above excellent. I ordered two of them AND received them in all in less than 5 days. It was incredible. Been having some stormy, rainy weather so I haven't fully tried it out, but it fits my Doublenest perfectly.

All in all, great responses to his customers, amazing craftsmanship, amazing shipping times. He'll have other orders from me in the future. :)

nbmorton
06-06-2012, 01:59
Very cool idea!

JWinNC
06-06-2012, 07:52
If he ever gets any more materials back in stock, ORDER IT. I asked him to use a poncho liner for me, and his work is above excellent. I ordered two of them AND received them in all in less than 5 days. It was incredible. Been having some stormy, rainy weather so I haven't fully tried it out, but it fits my Doublenest perfectly.

All in all, great responses to his customers, amazing craftsmanship, amazing shipping times. He'll have other orders from me in the future. :)

Do you have any photos of your p-liner version? I've been wanting to do something like that with a liner. I think that would be very versatile.

Mule
08-08-2012, 19:32
NICE..... way to go Randy.

voivalin
08-09-2012, 22:09
This is just what I have been looking for my Winter rig, and it seems also nice for summer.

But waiting for more color options, and off course it's already sold out! :)

Rolloff
08-09-2012, 23:51
Very interested. Please let us know when in stock, or ready to order.

Site says SOL

Montalaskan
08-10-2012, 23:07
I think black and tan sounds great. I'll get the Guiness. (Black and tan in a quilt would be nice too.)

Seriously, Count me in for one if you do get the materials together.

Barlutti
10-05-2012, 19:53
Im not concerned about the colour, just find the mats to make them again :)

brockthecool2
10-06-2012, 07:51
like thge digi camo (aka)(acu) hammok!!!!!
DeARLY aND Sincerly, Jonah! of the B B B! ps:yes i'm a digi camo fanatic!!!!

SkronkyKong
10-08-2012, 19:17
Great idea. Looks interesting