PDA

View Full Version : Claytor JH lay flat?

miisterwright
03-28-2008, 12:35
I'm leaning toward getting a Claytor Jungle. Several of you have said it is very comfortable, but everytime I look at a picture of the thing, it seems like it would fold me like a banana! Does it flatten out more if you use a pad or air mat? Also, with the JH you lay in-line with the hammock rather than on the diagonal, right?

There are so many features of the Claytor that I like, I just have this fear that it won't be as comfortable as a diagonal laying hammock.

I apologize if my concerns have been addressed many times already, but I never seem to have much luck with the forums search feature.
Thanks
~Bryan

neo
03-28-2008, 13:11
I'm leaning toward getting a Claytor Jungle. Several of you have said it is very comfortable, but everytime I look at a picture of the thing, it seems like it would fold me like a banana! Does it flatten out more if you use a pad or air mat? Also, with the JH you lay in-line with the hammock rather than on the diagonal, right?

There are so many features of the Claytor that I like, I just have this fear that it won't be as comfortable as a diagonal laying hammock.

I apologize if my concerns have been addressed many times already, but I never seem to have much luck with the forums search feature.
Thanks
~Bryan

i have been laying flat in my claytor jungle over 2 years now:cool: neo

Miguel
03-28-2008, 13:48

Thanks
~Bryan

I also use a Claytor Jungle hammock. I'm taller than Neo which I believe is a factor. I can't say I lie completely flat while sleeping on my back. Sometimes there is a little space under my knees but that's very common in most hammocks. Of course when I sleep on my side, on the diagonal, with my knees slightly bent it's not a problem. I can say that I sleep very comfortably in my Claytor. In fact I once slept for twelve straight hours...a personal record for me under any circumstances. Don't be afraid a the "banana" appearance. Prior to buying my first hammock I had the same concerns. When I sleep flat on my back in bed I almost always wake up to a sore back....but NEVER in my hammock. It seems to defy all logic but it's true. You really have to experience it to believe it. IMHO...a longer hammock with a relatively loose hang is better. And don't forget the cardinal rule of hanging the head end a bit lower than the feet end. To a newbie that also seems to defy logic but it prevents your body from slipping toward the center.

Happy and comfortable hanging, Miguel

Miguel
03-28-2008, 13:54

Thanks
~Bryan

I'm taller than Neo which I believe is a factor. I can't say I lie completely flat. Sometimes there is a little space under my knees. That's very common in most hammocks. Of course when I sleep on the diagonal with my knees slightly bent it's not a problem. I can say that I sleep very comfortably in my Claytor. In fact I once slept for twelve straight hours...a personal record for me under any circumstances. Don't be afraid a the "banana" appearance. Prior to buying my first hammock I had the same concerns. When I sleep flat on my back in bed I almost always wake up to a sore back....but NEVER in my hammock. It seems to defy all logic but it's true. You really have experience it to believe it. IMHO...a longer hammock with a relatively loose hang is better. And don't forget the cardinal rule of hanging the head end a bit lower than the feet end. To a newbie that also seems to also defy logic but it prevents your body from slipping toward the center.

Happy and comfortable hanging, Miguel

neo
03-28-2008, 14:08
i have pretty much quit using my claytor jungle hammock,its now way to narrow for my chest shoulder and arms,i have only been pumping iron a little over 4 months now:cool: neo

me after 4 months
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=2930&catid=member&imageuser=11

my new muleskinner gear double bottom hammock:cool: neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=2995&catid=member&imageuser=11

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=2998&catid=member&imageuser=11

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=2997&c=member&imageuser=11

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=3001&catid=member&imageuser=11

miisterwright
03-28-2008, 14:20
I have no problem with putting my feet a little higher or laying on the diagonal as that's how hang in my byer. I guess I was thinking the JH was narrower than it really is. A narrow hammock would be hard to lay diagonally in. But at 4' wide I can't see it being a problem. I think the long length makes it look narrow in the pics. I think I'm going to be pleasently surprised the first time I get to hang the Claytor. Especially, since my byer is so small and I can still get plenty comfortable in it.

Thanks again
~Bryan

miisterwright
03-28-2008, 14:37
[QUOTE=neo;54583]i have pretty much quit using my claytor jungle hammock,its now way to narrow for my chest shoulder and arms,i have only been pumping iron a little over 4 months now:cool: neo

Way to go with the weight training, Neo!! I must admit I'm a tall, skinny, beanpole. I've lost 30 pounds since separating from the Army. It wasn't a bit of fat either, I was 175 lbs at 6% body fat. I started driving a tow truck and until recently was working 50-90 hrs/week so no time to keep in shape. I'm now 145 lbs and 6'2... that's way underweight. I'll be right on your heels as far as bulking up goes!

BillyBob58
03-28-2008, 16:50
Wow, Neo, you are looking pretty spectacular. I bet the increased muscle mass helps with your overall health, also.

But what is this blasphemy that you have quit using the Claytor? I finally have one, the no net, just in time for you to quit! :eek: I have about zero shoulder squeeze, at 6'1", 205 lbs. I must admit that Skinner hammock looks pretty good, though.

I can lay flatter than I have been able to with any other hammock, whether diagonal or straight down the middle. Though straight down the middle gives total knee comfort, without anything needed under my knees, and with no shoulder squeeze like I had in some other hammocks. Diagonal is pretty close, I might be able to get by with little or nothing under my knees. Knee comfort has been my greatest challenge with hammocks, but I think this one solves that problem. I can also get more comfortable on my side than with any thing I've tried except the JRB BMBH. It is probably a little better for laying flat than the Claytor, but gave me too much shoulder squeeze. I have actually found adequate comfort on my side after a bit of maneuvering, which is probably pretty much a first for me, except for the BMBH.

I suppose this comfort is due to the length, so some of the longer hammocks I have not tried might be just as comfortable, or even more. Like the TTTM or Treklight, Eno, etc. The narrowness has not really interfered with a diagonal lie, oddly enough. All that realy seems to have changed is no more excess material on the sides, making me feel like I'm down in a bathtub.

I don't think you will have any trouble getting pretty darn flat in this hammock, at least compared to the others I have tried.

Also:My PeaPod works just perfectly with this No Net Claytor. The narrow hammock makes the pod work even better than normal.