PDA

View Full Version : HH SS observations & questions

kwpapke
03-30-2008, 05:25
Experimented in the backyard yesterday afternoon with my new HH supershelter (both underpad and overcover). Coupla observations:

- Overall installation and setup was more straightforward than expected. The logic of all the pieces is the same: side tieouts go through hole or loop, straps go through holes at ends, elastics get hooked to prussic.

- Warmer than expected. It was about 43F with 25mph winds so the windchill was pretty hefty. I didn't sleep overnight, just napped a bit in the afternoon, but was quite comfortable in a heavy fleece jacket (no bag or top quilt). Didn't use a space blanket, but I'll carry one for cold nights.

- Tom Hennessey must think we are magicians to get the pad back into the stuffsack. He must have made it with a double-sided opening so you can in theory pull it into the sack rather than push, but I haven't figured out the magic incantation yet.

Questions:

- With the stock HH tarp attached to the prussic, tensioning of the various elastics seems a bit problematic. Any tips?

- The overcover seems to have far more slack than the rest of the elastic lines attached to the prussic. Doesn't seem quite right. Any hints?

- How do people pack the underpad? I am thinking of a waterproof stuff sack lashed to the outside of my pack (where most people carry their ground pad).

TIA,
--Kurt

psyculman
03-30-2008, 05:54
hwpapke,

Yes, the HH under pad is a little hard to get back into that bag! And, how to do it without laying it on the ground! I am able to roll it up real tight, but, for some it would not be easy. Fold the pad into the middle, from the sides, to the width of the bag, and then roll long wise, like it was when you got it. I'm making a small bag, a little bigger than the HH stock bag that comes with the pad, with three compression straps around the outside, so the pad can be put in unsquished (fluffed out mode) and, then tightened down to it's squished minimum volume. Of course, it should not be storred for long periods in compression. Someone gave me an old, but perfect Singer sewing machine, just like my mother had, I've got a new purpose in life!

Other aspects of the HH SS take a time or two to work out, but, after a few trips, it all works perfectly, don't fret.

Hennessy for President!

FanaticFringer
03-30-2008, 06:43
BillyBob58 has posted much info. on the SS........I'm sure he'll chime in shortly.

BillyBob58
03-30-2008, 08:07
I won't have time for much until this afternoon or evening. You might search the forums for Super Shelter. Maybe as one word, or "SS". As for adjustments, I have heard that the newer ones are a bit different than mine. I would always just adjust the stock tarp as directed, then attach to the prussicks. That always seemed to work, at least until I started adding clothes and such, then I might have to tighten up some. You can shorten the suspension elastics by putting an overhand or half hitch knot in them. Or, tie to the trees on at least one end, then you can adjust with your prussick.

The main thing is: Make sure there are no gaps between your back and the pads once you are in the hammock. You don't have to worry so much about compression, but you do gaps. Also minimize gaps in the undercover, especially if you add clothing. And use that space blanket!