PDA

View Full Version : Two New Bugnets added to my hammocks

Shug
03-30-2008, 15:13
Hello All,
As bug season is not to far away I finally got a couple of bugnets made to keep me skeeter/blackfly/gnat free this summer. We get 'em awfully bad here in Minnesota but I love it all the same......
One is BugBivy with a full zipper12701271
One is hooked straight to hammock (for ultra-lightweight) with OmniTape from JRB.1272
Great stuff that OmniTape!
Trickier to make than I imagined but lotsa fun. all the inspiration is from this great hammock community. Truly a helpful and no BS spot........
Bestest to all,
Shug

headchange4u
03-30-2008, 17:28
Looks great Shug.

Yeah, sewing Omni tape is no fun at all.:p :D

Peter_pan
03-30-2008, 17:54
Looks great Shug.

Yeah, sewing Omni tape is no fun at all.:p :D

Awhh, come on.... it gets easier after a mile or two....:D

Pan

Shug
03-30-2008, 18:44
Yeah, sewing Omni tape is no fun at all.:p

I actually like sewing it. Those long stitches... ahhhhh... the bobbin running out right in the middle of course..... ohhhh.
Shug of the Long Stitch

BurningCedar
04-22-2008, 10:51
Hello All,
As bug season is not to far away I finally got a couple of bugnets made to keep me skeeter/blackfly/gnat free this summer. We get 'em awfully bad here in Minnesota but I love it all the same......

These look great! Coupla questions:

1. Have you weighed both nets (including the weight of the sewn in velcro on the hammock itself)? I'm curious if (version 1: more netting + 1 zipper) weighs more or less than (version 2: less netting but lots more velcro on both the netting and hammock).

2. Where did you get the design for the zipper version? The photo seems to show that it fits hammock better than most other designs I've seen.

Lost
04-22-2008, 19:08
I was hoping to make a bug net this week, but I'm confused about the fabric. I was told that REI carried No Seeum, but they only have it in
18" x 54" packs.

What did you use?

peanuts
04-22-2008, 19:15
go to thru-hiker dot com and order the nano-no-seeum

NCPatrick
04-22-2008, 19:18
Or you could also try Quest Outfitters (http://www.questoutfitters.com/mesh_fabrics.htm#NO-SEE-UM%20MESH)

GREEN THERAPY
04-22-2008, 19:53
I have been using both nylon and poly shears material from the Wal Mart bin for bug screen for the last year..... they get lots of use as I sleep in a hammock every nite and no rips or tears yet. Have had them on the trails as well and they did great there too. Like hog on ice said thou, " they are a bit of a bear to work with". Other than that . cheap and serviceable.

I have what I call a rule of thumb test....... if I push with my thumb as hard as I can in a corner of the fabric and dosen't tear of puncture, buy it. Ok . if it tears I buy the minimum amout they will sell. :D

Coffee
04-22-2008, 22:40
Do you have any problems with keeping the omni tape attached to the hammock when you are in it?

Shug
04-26-2008, 16:57
These look great! Coupla questions:

1. Have you weighed both nets (including the weight of the sewn in velcro on the hammock itself)? I'm curious if (version 1: more netting + 1 zipper) weighs more or less than (version 2: less netting but lots more velcro on both the netting and hammock).

2. Where did you get the design for the zipper version? The photo seems to show that it fits hammock better than most other designs I've seen.

Do you have any problems with keeping the omni tape attached to the hammock when you are in it?

Hey Burning Cedar & HE,
I have not looked at this thread for a bit so sorry for the late answer.
1) The net weighs 6oz with the omni tape and that hammock is 15 0z w/ omni and all the trimmings excluding the webbing to hang it.
The one with zipper weighs in at 11 oz. I made this to get in and out of quickly for prime bug season here in Minnesota. Relentless, though I backpack less in summer as I detest heat and humidity. Like cool and cold!
2) I really just designed it based on the hammock sock on justjeffs site with just a wee bit of mods. I put in the "insert" he uses on his sock but I do not feel it is really necessary.
Hammock engineer, the omni stays really good. It does take a bit to close but every time I try it I get faster. End up just getting in the hammock and grabbing the net and hammock and squeeze/pull it all shut. I may add a tab on each to facilitate pulling them apart for egress......
Still waiting to field test both, just waiting for skeeters and flies ;)
Shug

Shug
04-26-2008, 17:00
I was hoping to make a bug net this week, but I'm confused about the fabric. I was told that REI carried No Seeum, but they only have it in
18" x 54" packs.

What did you use?

Hey Lost,
I used the netting from Speers! Great stuff....
Sew on!
Shug

Shug
04-28-2008, 03:28
Hey Burning Cedar & HE,

1) The net weighs 4oz with the omni tape and that hammock is 15 0z w/ omni and all the trimmings excluding the webbing to hang it.

It is 4 oz instead of 7 oz. Allright, less weight!
A Lighter Shug