PDA

View Full Version : DIY Gear Supply - materials update

sclittlefield
08-18-2011, 20:43
Hey gang, I've been crazy busy this month trying to keep up with your orders. Thanks so much for not allowing me to rest. :)

First off, I need to lead with correcting an error. I have been carrying a thread called "Tera 40", which I had labeled a Tex 40 in size. I was wrong, it's tkt 40, not tex 40 (tkt is just a number system within Gutermann). So, Tera 40 is actually tex 75. It should still work fine on most all home sewing machines, but if for some reason it has not fit in your machine, please contact me for a replacement spool. We will now be carrying Tera 60, which is the same construction as the Tera 40, but Tera 60 is Tex 50, so much closer to the normal tex40 weight thread we use most often for hammocks.

Now... I wanted to let you know I just got in a few new, pretty cool, fabrics.

1. 30d Ripstop Nylon with Metalized Reflective finish on one side. Navy Blue. 60"+ wide.
- This stuff is an amazing heat reflector. I've been using it in freezer bag cozies with Insultex and climashield - holy snot it works good! Only 100yds available.

2. 70d Taffeta - bright yarn, crinkle finish. Black. 60"+ wide.
- This is it... what so many have been looking for. The elusive "parachute nylon hammock" fabric! It is the very same fabric you find in all those well known "parachute" hammocks (did someone say ENO???)... I was only able to score a 100yd roll, so it's on a very limited batch at DIY Gear Supply right now. I will work on obtaining this as a stock item, but for now 100yds is all I've got.

There are also some other new items. You'll have to browse around. :) And we have more coming.

Yukon
08-18-2011, 21:01
Glad to here! I will be ordering more VERY soon :)

G.L.P.
08-18-2011, 21:04
hey sclittlefield ... whats the weight limit on the 70D ? 250lbs?

Boothill
08-18-2011, 21:06
First off, I need to lead with correcting an error. I have been carrying a thread called "Tera 40", which I had labeled a Tex 40 in size. I was wrong, it's tkt 40, not tex 40 (tkt is just a number system within Gutermann). So, Tera 40 is actually tex 75. It should still work fine on most all home sewing machines, but if for some reason it has not fit in your machine, please contact me for a replacement spool. We will now be carrying Tera 60, which is the same construction as the Tera 40, but Tera 60 is Tex 50, so much closer to the normal tex40 weight thread we use most often for hammocks.

my gf and i used the "tera 40" to sew the loops on our tree straps, is there any reason we should use something else or do some reinforcing or will this thread be fine for that application?

boot

BrianWillan
08-18-2011, 21:33
Now... I wanted to let you know I just got in a few new, pretty cool, fabrics.

1. 30d Ripstop Nylon with Metalized Reflective finish on one side. Navy Blue. 60"+ wide.
- This stuff is an amazing heat reflector. I've been using it in freezer bag cozies with Insultex and climashield - holy snot it works good! Only 100yds available.

I have a feeling that there will be some Mors Kohanski Supershelter winter tarps made with some of this fabric. Is it DWR on the opposite side of the reflective side?

Cheers

Brian

NewtonGT
08-18-2011, 21:41
good stuff man. wish I could sew :)

JohnSawyer
08-18-2011, 21:56
Is that reflective nylon breathable? That'd make an excellent UQ top layer if it is!

lymphocytosis
08-18-2011, 21:58
Ohhh. A vapor barrier for the winter...

sclittlefield
08-18-2011, 23:25

Has more to do with what you make with it and how you sew it. I can't give any weight rating. All designs and sewing being equal, it should be safe to the same ratings that all the parachute nylon hammocks made with this material are good to.

Is it DWR on the opposite side of the reflective side?

I don't have any info from the supplier stating that it is, so probably not - but it is coated. I haven't done any water testing with it, but you sure can't breath through it at all.

Is that reflective nylon breathable? That'd make an excellent UQ top layer if it is!

Nope, not breathable. Wish that it were... wish that it were...

It's a vapor barrier and should be used in applications where the traits of a vapor barrier are expected.

Fronkey
08-19-2011, 00:01
My lady likes to have girly colors for her hiking gear and I noticed you had some hot pink Sil(70d Silnylon 2nds). The name says "red" but it looks pink. Is it in fact red in color or pink? Just curious because I'm thinking about making her a ridiculous hot pink tarp. Thanks a lot!

Fronkey

JohnSawyer
08-19-2011, 00:13

Since Scott isn't willing to accept responsibility for the fabric dropping you on your butt.... (can't blame him)

I will say that my Byer of Maine Parachute hammock is rated to 250#.
http://www.amazon.com/Byer-Maine-Parachute-Traveller-Hammock/dp/B000NORFR4

:D

G.L.P.
08-19-2011, 00:44
Since Scott isn't willing to accept responsibility for the fabric dropping you on your butt.... (can't blame him)

I will say that my Byer of Maine Parachute hammock is rated to 250#.
http://www.amazon.com/Byer-Maine-Parachute-Traveller-Hammock/dp/B000NORFR4

:D

thanks JS... thats about what i figured it would be... looks like i'll be getting some :rolleyes:

MAD777
08-19-2011, 12:24
My order is IN! :D

Fronkey
08-19-2011, 12:36
My order is IN! :D

Watcha makin' this time???

Fronkey

MAD777
08-19-2011, 12:59
Watcha makin' this time???

Fronkey

Weel Fronkey, it's sewing season here in Florida. You remember what that's like, I'm sure. Too hot to hike!

I've got to play with that reflective nylon some. I'll start with some freezer bag cozies becaue I have some left over IX and climashield from past projects.

I'm also going to make 2 hammocks using the new parachute nylon and the 40/70 denier nylon (only 1.5 oz/sy). We'll see how they support my nearly 200 lbs. It's all part of my renewed quest to lighten up more.

My previous hammock using DIYGears' very wide 1.1 camo is super comfy but I needed to go with double layers.

These projects haveto wait until I finish my newest down top quilt - 1.6" thick.

Fronkey
08-19-2011, 13:31
Weel Fronkey, it's sewing season here in Florida. You remember what that's like, I'm sure. Too hot to hike!

I've got to play with that reflective nylon some. I'll start with some freezer bag cozies becaue I have some left over IX and climashield from past projects.

I'm also going to make 2 hammocks using the new parachute nylon and the 40/70 denier nylon (only 1.5 oz/sy). We'll see how they support my nearly 200 lbs. It's all part of my renewed quest to lighten up more.

My previous hammock using DIYGears' very wide 1.1 camo is super comfy but I needed to go with double layers.

These projects haveto wait until I finish my newest down top quilt - 1.6" thick.

It is for sure too hot to hike. But, never to hot to surf. Oh how I miss the beach.

Post some pics when your done please. I wouldn't mind taking a look at what you come up with. Especially that top quilt. I just ordered a bunch of stuff the other day from Scott to make another Underquilt for the winter season. This Florida boy is going to try some winter camping. :scared: Good luck with your projects!

Fronkey

sclittlefield
08-20-2011, 09:25
My lady likes to have girly colors for her hiking gear and I noticed you had some hot pink Sil(70d Silnylon 2nds). The name says "red" but it looks pink. Is it in fact red in color or pink? Just curious because I'm thinking about making her a ridiculous hot pink tarp. Thanks a lot!

Fronkey

It's definitely red. You're right, it does look pink in the webstore. I'll try to adjust it when I get a chance.

Dudorino
08-20-2011, 09:43
Hey DIY supply guy... The link to the DIY guides page is not working on your site. Thought you should know.

perrito
08-20-2011, 19:37
Hey DIY supply guy... The link to the DIY guides page is not working on your site. Thought you should know.

Yeah, I noticed that too.:confused:

MAD777
08-20-2011, 20:29

Me three ...

bloomgorge
08-20-2011, 20:37

Yeah, I noticed that too.:confused:

Me three ...

i suspect he hasn't solidified his design yet...i'm anxious to see the final design as what he's shared so far looks pretty nice.

sclittlefield
08-20-2011, 22:50
i suspect he hasn't solidified his design yet...i'm anxious to see the final design as what he's shared so far looks pretty nice.

You got it Patrick. The framework is not built yet. I'm trying to get an "under construction" page up, but my friend who built the site is in busy summer mode. It'll get there, slowly but surely... and probably more slowly than surely right now, but we'll get there. Sorry it's a broken link right now, I know that's frustrating.

lustreking
08-22-2011, 09:22
A while ago, you suggested that you were trying to get xpac available in your store. Is that still on the horizon?

JohnSawyer
08-22-2011, 09:35

I, too have a dl 1.1
Camo... some time ago I made a sl 1.1 from his od green... I found it held my 210lb bulk with. No issues...

JohnSawyer
08-22-2011, 09:37
You got it Patrick. The framework is not built yet. I'm trying to get an "under construction" page up, but my friend who built the site is in busy summer mode. It'll get there, slowly but surely... and probably more slowly than surely right now, but we'll get there. Sorry it's a broken link right now, I know that's frustrating.

You can still get to his old site: http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com. the diy link worked the last time I tried it.

DemostiX
08-22-2011, 11:29
You can still get to his old site: http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com. the diy link worked the last time I tried it.

Just as a place marker, alas.

sclittlefield
08-25-2011, 08:25
Quick note:

Selling of some old stock items we don't normally carry -

Closeout: Zing It

Closeout: Fling It

Closeout: 6000yd spools of Tex40, Polyester thread.

Also, we now have the reflective ripstop in Green as well, about 180yds available.

MAD777
08-25-2011, 22:01
I got my big box of goodies from DIYGearSupply.com today which included that new parachute fabric. It's shweeeeeeeet! My wife wants me to make her a dress with it - FORGET ABOUT IT!

sclittlefield
08-26-2011, 09:20
A while ago, you suggested that you were trying to get xpac available in your store. Is that still on the horizon?

The horizon, yes... no projected ETA though, sorry. Any request on the type and color? I expect that I'll only be able to carry one or two types to start - the stuff is expensive.