PDA

View Full Version : OES Tarps

Wolverine
08-21-2011, 15:32
Anyone having problems with O.E.S. Tarps?

optimator
08-21-2011, 15:37
Anyone having problems with O.E.S. Tarps?

None here. I have 3 of them. Great tarps.

rip waverly
08-21-2011, 15:42
loved mine- had a micro in sil.
awesome tarp. nothing but the best from brian.

sold it for quilts;)

Knotty
08-21-2011, 15:43
I have one, purchased used, and it's great. OES tarps are generally well received in this forum.

olzeke
08-21-2011, 15:59
No problem with mine, but are you asking about problems with the tarp, the maker, or the current catch up Brian is playing after some turmoil in his own situation?

Bubba
08-21-2011, 16:17
If you are talking about contacting him, Brian posted about his recent troubles and said he was getting back on track.
If you are talking about his actual products, no problems here. Well made gear. I wish I had the money to buy a cuben.

dragon360
08-21-2011, 16:45
Have a few myself. Great tarps - no problems.

Raul Perez
08-21-2011, 17:08
My only problem is I don't get out to use it more!

Bubba
08-21-2011, 17:27

That's a common problem I think:(

Wolverine
08-21-2011, 17:50
Ok,

I'll give Brian everyone's benefit, although I'm somewhat disappointed in the communication process.

finskie
08-21-2011, 18:04
Ok,

I'll give Brian everyone's benefit, although I'm somewhat disappointed in the communication process.

Seems more common lately. His gear gets alot of love though. I have seen his tarps and they look great... my only experience with him was ordering guylines from him about 1 1/2 year ago. The lines were as described but it took me 6 weeks to get them. I'm sure alot can change in 18 months though. Good Luck.

BER
08-21-2011, 18:33
Ok,

It has been a relatively common complaint from a number of folks here and on another site. It is what it is. That being said, the final product is excellent. I have had two OES tarps. Both have been of very high quality.

MAD777
08-21-2011, 18:58
The tarps are A-1 great!!! I've been using Brian's tarps for several years.
A happy customer :D

Rikall
08-21-2011, 19:28
Another proud of owner of high quality OES tarps. :)

X-Lem
08-21-2011, 20:28
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37759&highlight=brian

Acer
08-21-2011, 21:03
I have a 10' x 12' silnylon and was using it to cover a bug net shell inside of a tent,,the golite shangri-la 2,,and works great for a hammock as well,,,as you can,,if you stake it just right,,close the ends off perfectly, going to order another for the wife to use..and I can't say enough about the workmanship,,even if I have to wait a bit to get it,,old saying goes,,all good things comes to those that wait! and Brians work is to perfection.

mountaingoat
08-21-2011, 21:17
I have two tarps, one of them an OES standard. Of the two, I find the OES to be all around stronger and of higher quality, although I like them both for different reasons.
Top notch in my book.

dragon360
08-22-2011, 08:31
As a one man company, communication has always been a struggle for Brian. Personally, I don't know where he finds the time in a day.

Desert Reprobate
08-22-2011, 10:13
He needs to find a girlfriend with a business major to handle that end of the business so he can spend more time at the sewing table.

ohiocyclist
08-25-2011, 11:56
It is what it is.

That being said I wish there would have been some mention of turn around time on his website. I had no idea of turn around times for this sort of thing when I ordered my tarp a month ago. I figured that would be plenty of time before my next trip (which starts tomorrow). No such luck. Had I known it would have been four weeks or more, I would have found an alternative.

Rain Man
08-25-2011, 13:15
Frankly, I was amazed at how WELL he communicated with me this past Spring, and during his exam time to boot. He answered my nit-picky questions promptly and with patience and grace (not something I always expect from Internet merchants).

And the tarp itself (MacCat Deluxe) is great. I'd recommend him in a heartbeat, just as he was recommended to me. Word of mouth is where it's at!

Rain Man

P.S. If you need a tarp by a certain date, and you fail to inform the merchant and get a commitment for delivery by that time, the fault is yours, not the merchant's.

dippyhippie
08-25-2011, 13:16
That being said I wish there would have been some mention of turn around time on his website. I had no idea of turn around times for this sort of thing when I ordered my tarp a month ago. I figured that would be plenty of time before my next trip (which starts tomorrow). No such luck. Had I known it would have been four weeks or more, I would have found an alternative.

I was in the same disappointing boat.

ohiocyclist
08-25-2011, 14:42
P.S. If you need a tarp by a certain date, and you fail to inform the merchant and get a commitment for delivery by that time, the fault is yours, not the merchant's.

Could have easily been solved with an estimated delivery date on the website. Simple, convenient and wouldn't have required back and forth communication and trying to shove my order up in the queue. Plus on the 9th I was told it would ship out 'next week'. Still plenty of time for my trip and I thought why continue to pester someone about my order and take time away from fulfilling that order?

exup
08-25-2011, 20:35
I know it doesn't help much but your tarp will be second to none in the quality department.

I was fortuenate to have great communication and ship time in my experience with Brian. I feel sometimes being as busy as some are, they unintentionally forget the small things, like emails and estimated times and focus on the large job at hand of getting them made and shipped as soon as humanly possible. Of course that's no excuse, but we're all human.

SpaceCadet
08-30-2011, 09:20
When I ordered my MacCat Deluxe it told me the tarp would ship in 2-3 weeks. I got it 2.5 weeks later. I never tried to contact Brian, so I have no complaints about communications. I did get an email that my tarp had just shipped, a week after I already received it. The tarp is top quality, if a little smaller than I expected. But I can't blame that on anyone but myself.

G.L.P.
08-30-2011, 09:25
Ok,

brian was never known for getting back to people right away...
but trust me on this His tarps are worth it .
he is a one man operation so for him to stop all the time time to answer e-mails he would never get anything done
his Tarps are the best you can buy there is a reason he sells so many and they hold there value ;)

Bomber
08-30-2011, 10:17
I really like his products, but have given up on getting one from new(directly from OES, tried this 3 times without success :() - To be fair to Brian - i live on the other side of the pond + it was during his exam periods.

But his products a second to none, of what i have seen so far!

Jsaults
08-30-2011, 11:39
Either you love 'em or you hate 'em.
I for one love 'em, and have come to accept the (sometimes long) wait that may precede delivery. Many operations are one or two person shops, often started as hobbies, and some have grown by leaps and bounds. Not all have a business plan that encompasses exponential growth.
I have the luxury of not having many recreational deadlines (AT hike, BWCA trip etc) so I am willing to wait. SUre, it would be nice to receive weekly updates on the status of my order but I realize that the proprietors of these operations are often working late in the night to fill orders.
I salute them for their innovation and dedication.
There is a reason that TNF, Sierra Designs, Montbel and other biggies do not accompdate custom orders. And I am thankful that "our" cottage guys and girls are there to fill the void.
Jim
and a tip 'o my Tilley hat to all you cottage folks. You know who you are!

koaloha05
08-30-2011, 11:57

Ditto:D
1st gen Spinn Delux tarp. Still my #1 tarp.

Outback Bill
09-01-2011, 20:59
I emailed Brian a couple days ago to see if he had a tarp ready to ship by chance (cancelled order or something). It took a couple days to get back to me but he said he could get a deluxe out the door in time for my little trip next weekend.
I'm hoping to get it in time to use w/ my diy hammock. My hennessy is out on a test drive with a friend who I hope buys it to help finance my hammock addiction.

Acer
09-01-2011, 21:03
I sent him a email at least 2-3 weeks ago about cuban and he hasn't answered it. lucky you.

icedfire477
09-01-2011, 21:06
Yikes! You guys have got me worried if I'll get my Deluxe anytime soon. Guess I should have tried to buy one used from the forum. Hope it's worth it!

Wolverine
09-06-2011, 20:46
Got My OES Tarp on Saturday, before the holiday.

I originally ordered a Deluxe SpinnUL color Grey from OES. Brian said he was having trouble with SpinnUL, so I changed my order to a Ultra Silnylon with 4 pullouts. What I got from Brian is a Ultra (I think Silnylon w/o pullouts) color forest green. What I was charged was a total of 168.50. An Ultra Sil w 4 pullouts plus delivery would have been 154.50. If this is an Ultra UL w/o pullouts the price would have been over 200.00. So riddle me this who's order do I have? Doesn't make sense.