PDA

View Full Version : REI sale

flatline
08-26-2011, 16:12
REI has sale going on.
i just picked up a little chair (http://www.rei.com/product/792007/alite-monarch-butterfly-chair).
http://www.rei.com/pix/common/pixel.gif

Timberrr
08-26-2011, 16:20
I tried one of those chairs out at the Canaveral Hang - they are AWESOME!!! I want one!
Maybe I can get Gumbo to get me one... :):)
Thanks for sharing!

Fronkey
08-26-2011, 16:40
Grizz and his boys were packing those chairs when I hiked with them. They kept saying how comfy and worth it they were to bring on the trail.

Fronkey

Miguel
08-26-2011, 16:50
Grizz and his boys were packing those chairs when I hiked with them. They kept saying how comfy and worth it they were to bring on the trail.

Fronkey

Think twice. We bought two of them for $30 a piece and have never used them. Too much weight for a long backpacking trip IMO. Not enough chair for car camping. When I'm doing high miles on an extended hike about the only thing I want to do at the end of the day is be in my hammock. My wife and I recently finished a long hike and when we stopped each day we were way more interested in lying down....not sitting.

I could see hauling them in on short mileage trips where sitting around the campfire is a priority. I may start using them for that type of hike.

Miguel

NewtonGT
08-26-2011, 17:35

Fronkey

I remember seeing those in his video. they look pretty cool. he recommends em

flatline
08-26-2011, 17:58
they're the perfect height for cooking on my wood stove and chillin' when my belly's full.
i've always wanted a bipedal chair.

NewtonGT
08-26-2011, 18:37
they're the perfect height for cooking on my wood stove and chillin' when my belly's full.

what kinda wood stove you got ? :shades:

OfftheGround
08-26-2011, 18:43
Love the Alite Monarch Butterfly! Good sale... I always miss the REI garage sales!

OfftheGround
08-26-2011, 18:46

Have you checked out the BackCountryBoiler? Check it out: http://www.theboilerwerks.com/about/ - Devin is the man!

flatline
08-26-2011, 19:02

my stove is a FourDog BushCooker LT2. i really like that baby.

NewtonGT
08-26-2011, 21:15
my stove is a FourDog BushCooker LT2. i really like that baby.

hell yea. gotta look into that man

NewtonGT
08-26-2011, 21:16
Have you checked out the BackCountryBoiler? Check it out: http://www.theboilerwerks.com/about/ - Devin is the man!

yea ive heard that things a sweet ride.

Fronkey
08-27-2011, 00:34
Think twice. We bought two of them for $30 a piece and have never used them. Too much weight for a long backpacking trip IMO. Not enough chair for car camping. When I'm doing high miles on an extended hike about the only thing I want to do at the end of the day is be in my hammock. My wife and I recently finished a long hike and when we stopped each day we were way more interested in lying down....not sitting.

I could see hauling them in on short mileage trips where sitting around the campfire is a priority. I may start using them for that type of hike.

Miguel

We did about 12-13 miles a day. So, it was relatively low mileage. Grizz said they weighed a pound and all 3 of the guys that had them looked way more comfy than I did sitting around the campfire.

Fronkey

sidvicious
08-27-2011, 00:55
the chairs are great. i have a pair of them and we use them all the time.

word to the old and broken; if you have back or knee issues, you might want to try them first, as entry and exit can be tricky and place pressure where it hurts.

i'm a daily runner and workout type and i have some sore knees at times, and a squeaky back when the moon is bad, but i can handle the chairs on my worst day. some, however, may need more caution.

Callahan
08-27-2011, 00:59

I checked these out when at REI a couple of weeks back...was thinking the exact same thing, would make a great little chair to chill in around the fire or while cooking as I don't like to cook near my hammock. Good score at that price. :D

Cheers

flatline
08-27-2011, 11:54
I checked these out when at REI a couple of weeks back...was thinking the exact same thing, would make a great little chair to chill in around the fire or while cooking as I don't like to cook near my hammock. Good score at that price. :D

Cheers

thanks, i too prefer to have a remote "kitchen" and comfort around the fire.
i was a "Spartan" for many years but i have grown out of that phase.
i think it will make a good chair for waiting out the rain while under the tarp.
i'm gonna try setting it on fallen log gain a little altitude just for fun.
leaning back against a tree might even allow for a power nap?:cool:

Timberrr
08-27-2011, 13:42
Hooray! Gumbo got me one. So I got one for her too. :D:D

flatline
08-27-2011, 13:50
reciprocity is awesome!