PDA

View Full Version : Need Tarp Design Help!

dufus934
04-02-2008, 12:00
I want to make a tarp, but I'm not sure about what design to make. Is a rectangular tarp the best way to do for something easy and functional? I have also looked at an asym design, but I don't know what the advantages of this type of design would be. I guess may questions are this

1.) What are the advantages of an asym tarp?
2.) Is there any designs that are more versitile than a rectangular design.
3.) What demensions do I need to make my tarp to get full rain protection?
(I'm 6'1" and my hammocks are usuall 10' long)
4.) Do you make the tie out points gromets or something else?
Guess that's it for now. Thank you all for your help and knowledge. It has been a huge help in me learning about hammocking!

Preacha Man
04-02-2008, 13:18
1. Asym tarp? Do you mean a diagonal design? If so, you need to do a lot of geometry to get the diagonals right. Amanda hates it, that is why she doesn't make tabernacle tarps anymmore. They do offer a long ridgeline, but side coverage is iffy sometimes.

2. Retangular tarps are very easy to sew, as far as designs that are more versatile? I don't think so. You can add cat curves in it, it makes it a little more difficult to sew, but the setup is tighter.

3. That is completly up to you, some are fine with 8X10, I like the 10X12, and yet others do the sil poncho thing at 5X8. To get full rain protection I like the 10X12. You can close the ends to help with spray, and the extra space makes it comfortable to be under for an extended period of time. The JRB winter tarp is good, the Speers Winter Tarp is great, and the Cathedral that my wife makes is good too. I like the design of the Speers, but we didn't want to copy youngblood's design. The Speer's winter tarp "doors" are really designed well.

4. Most of us use webbing for the tieouts. If you use grommets and they are not supported real well, then you end up tearing your fabric. You would be better off using crossgrain webbing, or any spare webbing you have.

Look at all the pics, and see what you think will work best for you. That is the great thing about making your own gear. Good Luck!

Dwight

NCPatrick
04-02-2008, 13:25
A lot of folks here have used these directions (http://www.jhatkhat.com/Khat/camping/bcdir/index.html) to make their own tarps.

dufus934
04-08-2008, 15:46
Where does this link take me to? I can't get to it, it sounds like it some account has been disabled. Is anyone else having this problem? And is there another place to get this info?

nickelanddime
04-08-2008, 15:50
I think it was supposed to be the black cat instructions, and yes it appears suspended

dufus934
04-08-2008, 15:56
well, its a good thing I printed them off so I could have a hard copy. The design looks awesome, but seems like it'll take a long time to make. Is it really as hard as it looks?

Dutch
04-08-2008, 17:21
I have to admit it took me quite a few hours to make my black cat. It makes me appreciate it more. It isn't too difficult, but those seems are long and it takes a long time to go around 6 sides. Especially when you aren't too sure of yourself and and sew the rolled hem in 2 steps Like I was on the cat cuts. I would say if you are looking for it to be easy, square and rectangles are still very good tarps.

Coffee
04-08-2008, 18:45
I like my cat tarp I made using those directions. My next tarp is going to be a rectangular tarp. I think with a hex cut cat tarp I loose too much protection on the ends. I have a 10' hammock and a 12' tarp on the ridgeline.

My thinking on the rect tarp is to make it 12' long by 8' wide. Then put 4 tie outs per side like the speer tarp. That way I can close the ends off. I am starting to think that wind protection is the biggest thing for me in staying warm. Hanging the tarp high will make it so the extra length on the corners when the tarp is closed won't matter.

NCPatrick
04-09-2008, 09:14
Sorry, the link was working when I posted. It must have been suspended very shortly afterwards...

Narwhalin
04-09-2008, 22:23
I just made my first tarp, which was a copy of the MLD hammock tarp and is basically a "diamond" shape. I have always slept in tents, and even though this tarp is bigger than the stock tarp on a HH, it still doesn't seem like enough coverage to me. I believe I can make it work for days that I don't expect rain, but the idea of having to go through a serious deluge under that tarp doesn't sound too fun to me...

angrysparrow
04-09-2008, 23:50
If anyone has a digital copy of the BlackCat directions, let me know and I'll see that they are hosted so they are available in the future.

Schneiderlein
04-10-2008, 10:01
If anyone has a digital copy of the BlackCat directions, let me know and I'll see that they are hosted so they are available in the future.

I have a copy of the spreadsheet if that is any help.

Bulldog
04-10-2008, 10:30
I'm with HE. I like rectangle tarps for more protection, and more versstility when it comes to pitching on the ground. That's not to say you can pitch a MacCat style tarp on the ground, there are ways and pitches to do so, just a few of my favorities with a more traditional falt reftangle tarp. I think my next tarp will be similar to the Speer 8x10 cat cut and the Speer Winter Tarp. I think Ill make it out of Spinntex 9.7 (ounce wienee) and about 8x10 in demisions. Thats just .2.

dufus934
04-10-2008, 11:06
Thats good to know because I was really wanting to make a rectangle tarp, but it seemed like one of those too good to be true things. A few hems, one seam, and some tie out points and I have a tarp?...Just seems too good to be true.

NCPatrick
04-10-2008, 11:08
Thats good to know because I was really wanting to make a rectangle tarp, but it seemed like one of those too good to be true things. A few hems, one seam, and some tie out points and I have a tarp?...Just seems too good to be true.

Yeah, maybe you could toss in some complicated angles or something. You know, make it interesting... :D...

Narwhalin
04-10-2008, 11:23

This is exactly why I want to go with the rectangle next time...simplicity of design. I cannot tell you exactly how much time I spent just visualizing and imagining how to shape my tarp, but I think just not having to go through that again is enough for me!

Coffee
04-10-2008, 14:11
I am waiting to way over simplify everything. Less to go wrong, easy to make.

speyguy
04-11-2008, 18:18
Another vote for a simple rectangle. I like the extra coverage you get from a rectangle. Very simple to make and great for a first tarp project. I used these (http://www.tarptent.com/projects/tarpdesign.html) Henry Shires directions (thanks Henry!!) for my first one, minus the netting and beak. They will give you an idea of what needs to be done. If I could only have one size, it would be an 8 x 10. I currently have a 5 x 9 and a 10 x 10. I think the 8 x 10 is a good all around size.

T-BACK
04-11-2008, 18:43
I started out my long hike with a MacCat Deluxe. Fortunately I tried it out in several storms before I left. I could not stay dry with the changing wind during strong thunderstorms. By adding door flaps to the ends, and finding a bombproof way to keep water from running down my straps to the hammock body, I weathered two tropical storms and many severe stoms and have stayed absolutely dry. A rectangular tarp can be modified the same way or if extra tie points are sewn to the edges, the ends can be semi-closed with just a couple of extra stakes.