PDA

View Full Version : Zig zag bury

bunaka
08-30-2011, 19:06
Ok, here's an idea for ya... zig zag bury loops that don't require stitching.

In his 'constriction' video, Grizz talked about contributions from other sports, including sailing and climbing. Well, here's one from spearfishing. When we rig up our float-lines, running 20-25m from the gun to a float, we use burys to form loops at each end. These loops often run through other hard ware, like shark clips etc., that allow the rope to be clipped onto said floats, guns etc. However, we use a zig-zag bury instead of a straight bury, running the bury directly through the line and out the other side. We find this to be more durable. The big bonus is that it doesn't require any stitching!

Having said that, we don't put too much load on these loops. So, the question is, would the bury have to be longer in order to achieve the same degree of friction? One way might be to do short, say 1 inch, burys space every 1/2 inch along the line. In any case, I thought I would put the idea out there for discussion. Hopefully it is helpful.

Timberrr
08-30-2011, 19:13
Maybe it's just me being lazy, but I don't stitch anyway.
I think the holding power comes more from constriction than friction. I know that requires a certain degree of friction, but Amsteel is pretty slick stuff so I don't think friction contributes much to the holding power.
:)

TiredFeet
08-30-2011, 19:24
Ok, here's an idea for ya... zig zag bury loops that don't require stitching.

In his 'constriction' video, Grizz talked about contributions from other sports, including sailing and climbing. Well, here's one from spearfishing. When we rig up our float-lines, running 20-25m from the gun to a float, we use burys to form loops at each end. These loops often run through other hard ware, like shark clips etc., that allow the rope to be clipped onto said floats, guns etc. However, we use a zig-zag bury instead of a straight bury, running the bury directly through the line and out the other side. We find this to be more durable. The big bonus is that it doesn't require any stitching!

Having said that, we don't put too much load on these loops. So, the question is, would the bury have to be longer in order to achieve the same degree of friction? One way might be to do short, say 1 inch, burys space every 1/2 inch along the line. In any case, I thought I would put the idea out there for discussion. Hopefully it is helpful.

This looks like a simple series of plain Brummel splices. The problem with plain Brummel splices is that they can be fairly easily pulled completely free. I say fairly easily since it is going to be a matter of how hard you pull and the type of rope used. Using something like this for what you have used it for, the loads are probably fairly light. I wouldn't recommend anybody using this for a hammock suspension. I very seriously doubt it would hold.

If you use a series short buries, it might work if the total length of the bury is equal to the recommended bury length for a fixed eye. You might want to experiment and let us know the results.

Maybe it's just me being lazy, but I don't stitch anyway.
I think the holding power comes more from constriction than friction. I know that requires a certain degree of friction, but Amsteel is pretty slick stuff so I don't think friction contributes much to the holding power.
:)

The stitching is not supposed to add strength to the splice it is meant simply to keep the bury in place. The bury tends to work free over many load and unload cycles. That is also the main function of a locked Brummel splice - keep the bury from working free over many cycles.

DemostiX
08-31-2011, 13:39
You will find this as 'The Shoemaker's Splice"
at http://www.hampidjan.is/Products/Ropes/

http://www.hampidjan.is/media/pdf/Dynex_Shoemakerssplice_wih_head.pdf

They recommend the braid be done as you have every 4 crossing, with a tail of length 60 crossings. By my count, that would for about twelve inches of 7/64" Samson Amsteel Blue. The remaining eleven inches are carefully tapered over the "last 20-30 diameters" and then buried after a fifth interval.

Other rope will have be constructed differently. Yale Cordage tells us that two single braid UHMWPE ropes, Maxibraid and Ultrex are differently optimized, the first for handling and wear, the second for strength; and that is done with more and fewer crossings per length, respectively. The fibers are the same.

Hampidjan is the manufacturer or distributor of Dynex Dux.

opie
08-31-2011, 17:05
The depiction in the OP is actually an "S Brummel." Not a shoemakers splice.

Also keep in mind Dynex and Dynex Dux are a refined version of SK75. Heated and stretched then cooled in a controlled environment.

An S brummel is an acceptable splice as the brummels create friction in the splice to help counter it wanting to relieve itself. It is not, however, a method of locking the splice so it should still be stitched or whipped.

The brummels will carry some of the load, but to what extent you can shorten the bury using them is up for debate. I would recommend still burying at least 2 fids in addition to however many brummels you are going to use. So factor that into your measurements. Also... what sort of load are you planning for the line and what line are you planning on using? This are all questions that need answered prior to offering suggestions for shortening buries.