PDA

View Full Version : Cannibal fall down go BOOM...Nest wins.

Cannibal
04-05-2008, 13:02
Took a really bad fall at one of those God forsaken Smokies shelters. The "rafter" I had my foot-end tied to was held with 2 nails. I was tired and didn't pay attention and almost cost me the hike and more. :eek:

At 12:31am it gave way and I crashed down about 4' and cracked my back on the edge of the lower sleeping platform. Took me 3.5 days to go about 20 miles with the help of some great hikers who helped carry my load. Hurts, but stupidity should never be rewarded. I've made it to Standing Bear Farm and will keep pressing on, just wanted to let everyone know that Nest (Cerberus) will be collecting at Hot Springs later this month.

By the way, with the help of another hiker I set the hammock back up (safely) and slept the rest of the night. NO GROUND...EVER!!!!!!!!!!:D

headchange4u
04-05-2008, 13:13
It takes a big man to admit something like that.:p

I'm glad you injuries weren't really bad;bad enough to stop your hike. I also glad the hiking community was there to help. Hikers are a great bunch of guys and gals.

Hooch
04-05-2008, 13:18
Cannibal, sorry about your impromtu aerobatics act. Glad you're recovering well and able to rest at such a cool place like Standing Bear. Don't forget to give me a holler in a couple weeks to get back to Hot Springs for the SEHHA Hang if you want to go.

rigidpsycho
04-05-2008, 13:40
Sorry to hear about your fall man. Just make sure you check rafters next time and keep that back strong.

peanuts
i am sorry to hear that cannibal.....:( and i am glad you are not hurt...but that's why you don't hang inside shelter(i know i am bad for saying so):o

slowhike
we live & learn... i usually like to learn the hard way myself<g>. more memorial that way:D
glad you were just sore & didn't crack anything.

and i hope you'll be able to make it (one way or another) to hot springs.

Lost
04-05-2008, 14:04
Been hoping to hear from you, but not with that kind of news. Continue to take it easy, the trail isn't going anywhere but north.

And as far as the bet goes, was it who falls first or who goes to the ground first? You may have an out, but don't tell Nest I said that! I don't think he has hung his hammock in the shelters.;)

Hope you're okay, and I'll see you at Hot Springs.

GrizzlyAdams
04-05-2008, 14:33
good to hear from you, sorry about the spill. Very happy to hear you've gotten the help you need from the hiking crowd.

Get rested...

Grizz

Cannibal
04-05-2008, 15:27
Thanks guys and gals!

I was really scared it was all over and when I get time, there will be a more detailed description of the event in my TJ. Standing Bear charges $1 per 15 minutes of internet time!

The good news is that I'm out of the Smokies and back to the trees. I won't say there was any stealth camping, but I won't say there wasn't either. ;) It was a good wake-up call about taking more care where and how I hang. I learned the lesson without major injury.

Lost, the bet was who would "hit" the ground first. Pretty clear that I lost that bet. :o But, my Warbonnet didn't fail me my brain did. Still, he's a big ol sissy sleeping on the ground and all.:D :D :D

slowhike
04-05-2008, 17:45
i hope ya didn't damage the warbonnet w/ that fall on a wooden floor.
might want to take a close look to see if she's been scuffed.

Cannibal
04-05-2008, 17:54
i hope ya didn't damage the warbonnet w/ that fall on a wooden floor.
might want to take a close look to see if she's been scuffed.

That was the first thing I asked once I figured out my legs were still working. "What broke?" I thought maybe the line running to the rings, but she didn't let me down. Still in ship shape although my quilts are getting a wee bit ripe. :eek:

slowhike
04-05-2008, 20:06
That was the first thing I asked once I figured out my legs were still working. "What broke?" I thought maybe the line running to the rings, but she didn't let me down. Still in ship shape although my quilts are getting a wee bit ripe. :eek:

just wonderin bro... ya goina get a chance to wash those quilts & stuff before somebody gives you a ride to hot springs:eek: :D :p :D :rolleyes:

rhjanes
04-06-2008, 20:11
That sounds painful just reading about it! glad you are OK and moving on

Lost
04-06-2008, 20:24
Cannibal,

I talked to Nest tonight. He says since it wasn't the hammock but the rafter, that you guys will just split the pizza!

He's working on the other bet - just wanted you to know!

stoikurt
04-06-2008, 20:34
Glad you're OK, Cannibal and able to continue. I hope you get to update your TJ soon so we can keep up.

Coffee
04-08-2008, 00:17
That sucks. I only hung in the shelters a few times. I was always really paramoded about that. I only felt ok in the really old ones where the roof was supported by old logs length wise in the shelter. You'll see them farther north.

I hope everything works out in the end for you. Let me know if you need anything. I would read your TJ, but I'm not ready to read any yet.

Coffee

Nest
04-15-2008, 10:06
Since you are ok, I can say this is hilarious!

I have hung from a shelter once, but hung from the main roof support so there wasn't a chance of it coming down. I talked to a guy who was in the shelter when it happened. He said you just crumpled to the floor in your hammock and made an awful unhuman sound. I tried to get him to make the sound for me but he wouldn't. The second bet is halfway done. See everyone at Hot Springs.

slowhike
04-15-2008, 19:41
Since you are ok, I can say this is hilarious!

I have hung from a shelter once, but hung from the main roof support so there wasn't a chance of it coming down. I talked to a guy who was in the shelter when it happened. He said you just crumpled to the floor in your hammock and made an awful unhuman sound. I tried to get him to make the sound for me but he wouldn't. The second bet is halfway done. See everyone at Hot Springs.

ha ha... we'll see if we can get cannibal to reproduce that sound at hot springs:D

GrizzlyAdams
04-15-2008, 19:57
ha ha... we'll see if we can get cannibal to reproduce that sound at hot springs:D

just get him lickored up. Well, not you Slowhike, wouldn't do you being moderator, dry, and all. Some HF degenerate. I'm thinking Hooch. When we were hanging at RRG he was talking on his cell phone with some woman from work about going out for beers, at 3 a.m.!!!

Truth. Mule, HC4U and Cerberus a.k.a Nest will verify.

Grizz

slowhike
04-15-2008, 19:59
ah ha, learning about hooch now:D

Hooch
04-15-2008, 20:08
just get him lickored up. Well, not you Slowhike, wouldn't do you being moderator, dry, and all. Some HF degenerate. I'm thinking Hooch. When we were hanging at RRG he was talking on his cell phone with some woman from work about going out for beers, at 3 a.m.!!!

Truth. Mule, HC4U and Cerberus a.k.a Nest will verify.

GrizzAll changed. I quit drinking. :D

slowhike
04-15-2008, 20:14
All changed. I quit drinking. :D

good man hooch. maybe we can get cannibal to do an impression w/o the booze<G>.

warbonnetguy
04-15-2008, 23:35
you might have to change your name if that's the case. "hooch" may not be appropriate for a non-drinker.:D

Hooch
04-16-2008, 04:43
you might have to change your name if that's the case. "hooch" may not be appropriate for a non-drinker.:D:D Someone else suggested the same to me as well. But, the Hooch I got my trail name from was the dog from the Tom Hanks classic Turner and Hooch (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098536/), not the rather potent-to-semi-deadly combination of liquor and fruit juice. For anyone who's hiked with me, you'll understand this: my hiking partner has suggested changing my trail name to "Blackblast". :D Not so sure I like that one. :rolleyes:

GrizzlyAdams
04-16-2008, 09:33
:D Someone else suggested the same to me as well. But, the Hooch I got my trail name from was the dog from the Tom Hanks classic Turner and Hooch (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098536/), not the rather potent-to-semi-deadly combination of liquor and fruit juice. For anyone who's hiked with me, you'll understand this: my hiking partner has suggested changing my trail name to "Blackblast". :D Not so sure I like that one. :rolleyes:

At RRG you also earned the more innocuous trail name "Backflip" :p

Grizz

Hooch
04-16-2008, 09:36
At RRG you also earned the more innocuous trail name "Backflip" :p

GrizzYou're not funny. Ok, well maybe just a little. :D In all fairness, the flip wasn't complete. :rolleyes:

GrizzlyAdams
04-16-2008, 09:57
You're not funny. Ok, well maybe just a little. :D In all fairness, the flip wasn't complete. :rolleyes:

I was thinking of "Butt Sticking in Air", but figured there was absolutely no good spin you could put on that :D

Of course, at the same hang you might say I earned the name "Aerodynamic as a Rock", because when I was first rigging up my hammock the support line snapped.

What a hang. A splendid time was had by all.

Backflip, without context, suggests a certain native agility. Beats Black Back Blast. Or Aerodyanmic as a Rock.

Grizz