PDA

View Full Version : Chinook 12x9 tarp

deerfu
09-06-2011, 07:06
I no expert on tarps but I thought this might help. I bought this tarp a couple of weeks ago while they were on sale for $21.95 to use as a spare or kitchen tarp for car camping. This thing is huge! For the money I wish I had bought 2. The only concern is on a couple of the tie outs there are brass grommets reinforced with nylon. I hung one of my cheap hammocks underneath it while it was windy and raining and it held up fine. Hope this helps.

L.D. Cakes
09-06-2011, 07:21
Oh heck yeah! They're bomb proof. But heavy. I have one, just add some extra tie outs where you want them by using that over sized stuff sack to sew extra reinforcements and then some grosgrain for tie outs. It's not a bad idea to put grosgrain tie outs over those grommets too because grommets usually tear out anyway.

BTW, Where did you find one for 21.95?

deerfu
09-06-2011, 21:02
I found it at huntingplayground.com. There was a link in the weather protection forum from a member wanting a cheap tarp and it was on sale at the time. I like it a whole lot better than the poly tarps

L.D. Cakes
09-06-2011, 22:15
Thanks. They are 45 bucks now though.

deerfu
09-08-2011, 04:27
Yep it didn't last long. One of the savvy shoppers here found and posted it. I missed the cheap sale on the funky forest 10x10 so I didn't want to let this one pass by. I'm gonna be able to try it in the field for a few days in about a week and I think it'll do fine.

deerfu
09-08-2011, 04:28
oh yeah, as soon as I aquire a "thread injector". Those grommets will be gone

AaronAlso
09-09-2011, 08:54
I got mine earlier this week. Didn't come in time for my labor day camp out but I had another tarp to use, and we didn't get any rain.

I got 6 lineloc3's on order and some extra brown polyester webbing laying around. Think I'm gonna pry those gromets apart and sew on the linelocs. Probally, string it up lightly first to play with some different configurations before I settle on where I want the linelocs. Not sure yet if I'm gonna make griz beaks for it or stake out so I can get some door action going on.

I just have to add that this thing is a really nice tarp. The polyester has noticeably less stretch than nylon, and the PU coating is very thin. I read someplace that this thing weighted 1.8lbs, I can't see that even with the oversized stuff sack. Wish I had a scale (I know, soon) but I'm guessing more like 22oz based on a side by side comparison with my ENO DN. Compared to a similar sized silny tarp the extra is minimal, and you won't get any misting through with this one.

I'm wondering about dying the polyester; that brown is not my fav. Anyone got any insight on that? How would it effect the PU coating? Ect.

wwk10
09-09-2011, 09:09
Aaron Also,
I also like my Chinnook 12 x 9.5.
Sorry to tell you the weight is correct right about 31 oz.

I would normally be embarassed to share my geekiness, but I think people here may like the sketches attached below comparing the Chinnook 12 x 9.5 and the Gudie Gear 12x12.
They are both great. I have not used the Guide Gear but it has the same weight and a little more coverage. The down side to the Guide Gear is you have to add to tie outs to use it with doors

Chinook

Guide Gear

robv60
05-04-2012, 19:53
Ordered one of these the other day. I think itll be a good tarp for me.

mrcheviot
05-05-2012, 11:00
I started off w/ a Chinook, agree it's a good tarp for the price. I've since gotten one that suits my 3S needs better, but I plan on holding onto the Chinook for awhile as a backup and winter tarp. The 4 tie outs per side allow for easily closing off one or both ends, which comes in handy during the winter or bad storms.

What makes it a good starter tarp is that it's large, offers a lot of flexibility and has the aforementioned tie out options. From that point, it's easier to determine if you want something smaller, lighter, with a cat cut, without doors, fewer tie outs, etc. It's generally a good idea to go through this process to identify your true needs through first-hand experience (instead of trying to ascertain them from the internet) before you put more money down on more expensive one.

robv60
05-06-2012, 18:02
I started off w/ a Chinook, agree it's a good tarp for the price. I've since gotten one that suits my 3S needs better, but I plan on holding onto the Chinook for awhile as a backup and winter tarp. The 4 tie outs per side allow for easily closing off one or both ends, which comes in handy during the winter or bad storms.

What makes it a good starter tarp is that it's large, offers a lot of flexibility and has the aforementioned tie out options. From that point, it's easier to determine if you want something smaller, lighter, with a cat cut, without doors, fewer tie outs, etc. It's generally a good idea to go through this process to identify your true needs through first-hand experience (instead of trying to ascertain them from the internet) before you put more money down on more expensive one.

Thank you, that is a lot of good information that I have been trying to find answers to. I feel better about the decision to get the chinook now. All the reasons you listed above are pretty much why I decided on the chinook and I think Ill be happy. I do think it may be a little bit overkill for me as I tend to be a fair weather camper and could probably easily go with something smaller but I do like the versatility of the larger size.

robv60
05-11-2012, 10:45
My Chinook came in the mail a couple of days ago. I havent had a chance to really do anything with it yet. I havent even unfolded it fully but I did notice that it seems a little stuck to itself which has me worried after some other posts I have read about this tarp. Hopefully it will be OK. Ill try to take some Pics to add to this thread when I can.

ccwaters
05-13-2012, 00:36
haven't reinforced mine yet, but for the money it is a decent tarp

robv60
05-13-2012, 09:06
haven't reinforced mine yet, but for the money it is a decent tarp

Ill most likely be doing the same where the grommets are.

mrcheviot
05-14-2012, 09:22
I would just unfold it and not worry about the stick, it will go away. Go slowly if you're concerned. I also don't think reinforcing this tarp is necessary IMO, figure that a #1 s-biner will break before the grommets tear out.

robv60
05-14-2012, 11:41
I would just unfold it and not worry about the stick, it will go away. Go slowly if you're concerned. I also don't think reinforcing this tarp is necessary IMO, figure that a #1 s-biner will break before the grommets tear out.

You know, im kind of wondering about the grommets myself. If tou look real close where those grommets are. Theyre not just going through the tarp material, theres actually a strip of what appears to be webbing sandwiched between the reinforced tarp material. The grommet goes through this webbing in addition to everything else. Pretty nice setup. Still makes me a little nervous but its a heck of a strong looking area. I finally got around to unfolding it last night. Whole thing was stuck to itself. Hopefully thatll lessen with time. Everything else looks pretty good except the seam tape. Its stuck on and i dont think itll come off on its own but its not instilling the best of confidence. There places all along the length of the tape edges where its not really stuck down. I could grab it and peel it lose pretty easy. This may be normal for seam tape though....ive never dealt with the tape before. Im wondering if i can iron it down or if id be better off removing it and sealing it with some sort of liquid sealer. Ill have to hang it up and check it for leaks.

robv60
05-21-2012, 18:38
I think my Chinook is going back. I finally got it set up and while it seemed really nice and pitched fairly well, I noticed I could see "pin holes" of light around the stitching on the ridge line tie outs where the thread was pulling the material from the tension. I had it pulled fairly tight but I wouldnt have expected this. The Stitching was seemingly pulling against the material and stretching holes where the thread went through the fabric. Darn shame really because otherwise I like the tarp. Right price/right size. I just dont feel that it wouldnt leak. I really dont want to spend more on a tarp, I caught hell for spending what I did on this one. :(

L.D. Cakes
05-24-2012, 19:23
Is it the stitching on the ends where the grommets are (which you were gonna reinforce anyway weren't you) or is it the whole ridge line?

robv60
05-25-2012, 07:53
Is it the stitching on the ends where the grommets are (which you were gonna reinforce anyway weren't you) or is it the whole ridge line?

Its on several of the tie outs, actually. A couple of the corner tie outs and both ridgeline ends. Not around the grommets surprisingly but rather theyrr pulling loose where the sewn on reinforcements meet with the main body material.

L.D. Cakes
05-25-2012, 08:18
Its on several of the tie outs, actually. A couple of the corner tie outs and both ridgeline ends. Not around the grommets surprisingly but rather theyrr pulling loose where the sewn on reinforcements meet with the main body material.

Wow, This is very surprising. My Chinook has been a bomb proof tarp in many windy and stormy events. If you took pictures, or if you could take some please. I'd like to see them if your's could possibly be made different than mine. I bought mine a couple years ago and hope they haven't changed manufacturers. That would be a shame as these have been dependable hardy tarps.

robv60
05-25-2012, 08:51
Wow, This is very surprising. My Chinook has been a bomb proof tarp in many windy and stormy events. If you took pictures, or if you could take some please. I'd like to see them if your's could possibly be made different than mine. I bought mine a couple years ago and hope they haven't changed manufacturers. That would be a shame as these have been dependable hardy tarps.

Funny you should ask.... I was just about to post a link to some pics. Bottom line, I most likely strung it up too tight. I didnt think it was too tight, no tighter than alot of pictures I see on here of other people's tarps. Ive never hung a nylon tarp so maybe my expectations of its strength were overestimated. Heres a link to the photos....

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m236/robv60/Tarp/

toygun
05-25-2012, 10:41
Funny you should ask.... I was just about to post a link to some pics. Bottom line, I most likely strung it up too tight. I didnt think it was too tight, no tighter than alot of pictures I see on here of other people's tarps. Ive never hung a nylon tarp so maybe my expectations of its strength were overestimated. Heres a link to the photos....

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m236/robv60/Tarp/

wow, it almost looks like the seam completely missed the mark on the last photo. Another tarp option bites the bullet IMO- I was very close to ordering a chinook. Think I'm gonna have to break down and just invest the fundage in a JrB or something.

Thanks for the pics!

robv60
05-25-2012, 12:30
I have been in contact with Chinook and they have just asked me to "cut the Chinook label and a piece of the material where the defect seam is and mail it to us....when we receive it, we will send you a new one." I'm not too keen on cutting the tarp! I mean if its guaranteed they'll send an entirely brand new tarp in the same size and color i suppose its worth a shot. But if I never receive a new one and I have a mutilated tarp that I could probably repair otherwise....Id be pretty miffed to say the least.

EDIT: I contacted Chinook after the above offer and expressed my concerns over being potentially stuck with a useless tarp and said if they would GUARANTEE that I would receive a new one the same size and color Id bite. They came back with a simple email saying "Its a Guarantee". Looks like Ill be slicing up a tarp tonight. ::yikes::

robv60
06-08-2012, 00:03
Ugh, I cut the **** thing all to hell (not an easy thing to do but they guaranteed it so....) and sent it t them....Been 8 business days since i shipped the "scraps". I havent heard anything from them yet but to be fair, I didnt expect to... because USPS said it would be 6-8 days before they received it. Customs and all that mess. Just posting an update. We'll see what happens. Playing the waiting game at this point.

L.D. Cakes
06-08-2012, 06:54
I just read the warranty and it seems pretty clear that it is guaranteed against manufacturer defects for life. This should be the best course to take. I'm anxious to hear the outcome! I'm curious, did they have you send it to the New York address or Ontario?

robv60
06-08-2012, 20:05
I just read the warranty and it seems pretty clear that it is guaranteed against manufacturer defects for life. This should be the best course to take. I'm anxious to hear the outcome! I'm curious, did they have you send it to the New York address or Ontario?

Yeah i read that warranty and was impressed and hopeful. They had me send it to Ontario.

robv60
06-17-2012, 21:00
Well, my replacement tarp came in from Chinook the middle of this past week. While I havent had a chance to fully inspect it yet, the few corners I have looked at seem pretty well sewn. The ridgeline seam tape is in MUCH better condition than the previous one. No lifting or peeling and is stuck down nice and flat. Also, the coated side of the tarp did not stick to itself when trying to unfold it for the first time. All in all I have been very pleased with Chinook's customer service and willingness to stand behind their product and warranty. Even though I bought mine from some no-name seller through amazon, I didnt have to go through amazon for the return which was wonderful not to have to deal with that hassle. I contacted Chinook directly through the email on their website and the rest is history. No problems whatsoever. I did have to pay to ship it to Canada but that was only about $6 USPS flat rate box so who cares- small price to pay. Lesson: buy your chinook direct from a Chinook authorized dealer to ensure the tarp is new stock in good condition.

L.D. Cakes
06-17-2012, 21:06
Thank goodness, good to hear. I'm glad Chinook hasn't gone south like Guide Gear. Still good manufacturing practices and customer service. The other one must have been a second sold out the back door! :lol:

robv60
06-18-2012, 06:48
Thank goodness, good to hear. I'm glad Chinook hasn't gone south like Guide Gear. Still good manufacturing practices and customer service. The other one must have been a second sold out the back door! :lol:

Ha ha, yeah thats what Im thinking it was. That being said I need to hang it and figure out how tight of a pitch it "tight enough". I still cant say with absolute certainty that I didnt cause the issue with too tight of a pitch. I didnt think I had it too tight but....who knows.