PDA

View Full Version : Best Pad arrangement for ENO hammocks

Incacamper
04-07-2008, 22:21
Just curious what the best way to lay the pads into an ENO style hammock.

Should I cut a pad that fits from under my shoulders to my butt. Then leave and empty space under my knees and have more pad underneath my feet?? Also are you guys just putting the pad right on top of the hammock? Seems like its the only way? With the economy the way it is I can only afford a wal mart blue pad, so I can't buy the fancy peapod and what not.

slowhike
04-08-2008, 05:14
myself, i would just use a full length ccf pad. other wise, i would never be able to keep the separate pieces in place, especially if i rolled or just changed positions.

Rat
04-11-2008, 23:20
You can build a DIY SPE like I did, or you can use velcro, tape or glue to build a pad big enough for full coverage of shoulders, hips and legs. I use a an SPE and it a 3/4 length pad; I either use my pack or some other clothing (rain gear) under my calves and feet.

rigidpsycho
04-12-2008, 07:46
I'm in the same boat as you. I can't aford a peapod or underquilt right now. I did find an inflatable sleep pad at target for $20,so I'm using that right now. I may also get me two of the blue ccf pads and make me an SPE.

Hooch
04-12-2008, 08:00
The SPE (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm) is an excellent, economical choice for keeping warm with a pad. A couple folks used them last year at the April Hot Springs hang and reported being very warm through the night. If you buy one, they are $35 for 4 wings and $45 for 8 wings. Either one is very much worth the money, IMO.

rigidpsycho
04-12-2008, 10:15
Just found this in the gallery nogods made a no sew SPE with two walmart ccf pads here's the picture http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1738&catid=member&imageuser=828. I'm thinling of making one maybe this weekend.

Hooch
04-12-2008, 10:25
Just found this in the gallery nogods made a no sew SPE with two walmart ccf pads here's the picture http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1738&catid=member&imageuser=828. I'm thinling of making one maybe this weekend.Cool idea, what's the black stuff? Tape of some sort? How about SGT Rock's wing pad (http://hikinghq.net/hammock/wing_pad.html)? Could easily be done with Wal-Mart CCF pads.

rigidpsycho
04-12-2008, 10:26
Cool idea, what's the black stuff? Tape of some sort?

yeah it looks like he used strong duct tape.

Hooch
04-12-2008, 10:29
yeah it looks like he used strong duct tape.I kinda like the idea of SGT Rock's wing pad covered with a Neat Sheet. :)

rigidpsycho
04-12-2008, 10:31
yeah that's a pretty cool idea too, but witj lack of fundage this seems simpler.

pedro
04-12-2008, 10:31
I'm also an SPE user. Had another crack inspired idea for the SPE. I saw a translucent inflatable mat (the kind you use in the pool or at the beach) in Wal-mart for $1.88. Surprisingly, the material looked to be pretty thick, probably 6-8 mil. Okay, I bought one. It weighs 18 oz. It fits in the SPE.

Now, I realize that dead air in and of itself is a poor insulator, but if you put that dead air in between you and a CCF pad, possibly with mylar in between, wouldn't that work to give you greatly enhanced insulation AND an air ride?

-Pedro

Hooch
04-12-2008, 10:32
yeah that's a pretty cool idea too, but witj lack of fundage this seems simpler.Understand that. I've got a Neat Sheet you can have if you're interested in it.

pedro
04-12-2008, 10:32
Oh yeah, you get a pillow for that weight too.

-Pedro

neo
04-13-2008, 01:40
The SPE (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm) is an excellent, economical choice for keeping warm with a pad. A couple folks used them last year at the April Hot Springs hang and reported being very warm through the night. If you buy one, they are $35 for 4 wings and $45 for 8 wings. Either one is very much worth the money, IMO.

:) i have a speer spe.i really like it:cool: neo

whitefoot_hp
04-22-2008, 18:53
i usually had trouble with blue pads in my eno, condensation wise and staying under me wise. Its like the hammock and the blue pads aren't meant for eachother. However, i think if you cut slits in your pad, as one user on here shows in his gallery, it may help. I have abandoned the blue pads and go with a half inflated big agnes pad which makes me feel like a king.

whitefoot_hp
04-22-2008, 19:05
myself, i would just use a full length ccf pad. other wise, i would never be able to keep the separate pieces in place, especially if i rolled or just changed positions.

exactly. segments will not work out well, according to my experience.

Will P
06-24-2008, 12:17
It's neat to see more people with ENOs (they don't seem to be a popular choice for camping, but I love mine). I just joined the site and only have a few nights out under my belt (around Mt. Mitchell, Deep Gap) but I've found I don't need a pad, just a sleeping bag, unless it's going below mid 50s (is this inconsistent with others' experiences?). Otherwise, I picked up a used REI crazy creek which folds out into three segments. This has worked great as a pad and it has the double-use factor which is always convenient.

I definitely agree with the ccf blue pads comment, that condensation is a serious problem (friend woke up with a soaked back, we tell everyone he got peed on by a bear). Where can you pick up the big agnes pads?

FanaticFringer
06-24-2008, 14:45
It's neat to see more people with ENOs (they don't seem to be a popular choice for camping, but I love mine). I just joined the site and only have a few nights out under my belt (around Mt. Mitchell, Deep Gap) but I've found I don't need a pad, just a sleeping bag, unless it's going below mid 50s (is this inconsistent with others' experiences?). Otherwise, I picked up a used REI crazy creek which folds out into three segments. This has worked great as a pad and it has the double-use factor which is always convenient.

I definitely agree with the ccf blue pads comment, that condensation is a serious problem (friend woke up with a soaked back, we tell everyone he got peed on by a bear). Where can you pick up the big agnes pads?

The Eno, Teklight, and Ticket To The Moon hammocks are all basically the same hammmocks made in Utopia.:D They are pretty popular around here. Very nice hammocks. They sleep everybit as good or better than the other brands. As you know they dont come with all the bells and whistles such as tarp, bugnet, etc. That's one reason for the popularity of a hammock like the Claytor JH. Along with the pad pocket. It is a complete package.

You are definetely not in the majority if you dont need underinsulation around the mid 50s. Most folks need some in temps as high as 70-75. Especially if the wind is robbing some of the heat. I've never had issues with condensation/sweat while using pads. Some do but many dont.

Reeper
08-26-2008, 20:31
I've used the blue egg crate one from Walmart and the normal blue one from there. I like the egg crate one better. Its also wider. I cut 2 pieces about 25" long and used rope to tie them to another piece that I use under my Thermarest. When I don't need the wings I can just leave them at home. If I need them they stay put with the string. Has worked great so far.

bluenoseRumRunner
09-23-2008, 13:04
I'm currently using a Thermarest Basecamp with my ENO single. it's probably too long to use in the hammock, but I haven't decided on an alternative yet.

I'm heading out with a group for an overnighter next week where the overnight temps will be hovering around freezing.

I've seen another post about using sheepskin. I'd be curious to try that out especially dealing with the coastal camping conditions I am usually in.

whitefoot_hp
09-23-2008, 21:31

VERY TRUE. did i say VERY? i tried the segmented pad approach, with no means of connecting each pad, and it is a headache. better get comfortable in one spot...

Miguel
09-23-2008, 22:02
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560834203BtHMbJ

This is my version of a segmented pad using the 25" Wally World pad. The segments are attached using velcro. The photos show both sides, extended and rolled up. I use an underquilt now but this setup worked very well with very little condensation. Condensation issues seems to vary greatlywith each individual. If it's really cold I might throw in a pad without the extenders in combination with my underquilt. It's one of the things I love about my double bottomed Claytor hammock.

Miguel

Miguel
09-23-2008, 22:10
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560834203BtHMbJ

This is my version of a segmented pad using the 25" Wally World pad. The segments are attached using velcro. The photos show both sides, extended and rolled up. I use an underquilt now but this setup worked very well with very little condensation. Condensation issues seems to vary greatly with each individual. If it's really cold I might throw in a pad without the extenders in combination with my underquilt. It's one of the things I love about my double bottomed Claytor hammock.

Miguel

Oops! I'm sorry. That is not my velcro version. It's an earlier version using black nylon strips glued to the pad and wings. As you can see the strips act as a hinge allowing the wings to be folded. With the velcro the wings can actually be removed if desired. I would remove them when rolling it up....made it easier to roll. I'll search for the velcro version. I'm not positive I have pics of it. Sorry for the confusion.

Miguel