PDA

View Full Version : My WBBB Whoopie Conversion and Weight Savings

body942
09-07-2011, 12:38
Hey y'all. Just got my order from Stu and figured I'd post some specs for someone else down the road. I tend to think in grams (work related) so I'll leave other conversions for someone else. All weighed on my digital scale:

Original WBBB Suspension: 217 g +
Two of THESE (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=metolius+carabiner&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10252242847121999928&sa=X&ei=7qhnTvaGE-bmiAKDvpj2CQ&ved=0CH8Q8wIwBw) carabiners: 50 g = (found them to be a touch heavier than advertised, probably sap buildup :rolleyes:)
Total Suspension weight: 267 g

I've already hung from Coastal Giant Redwoods and Big ol' Oaks, so I ordered my whoopie setup longer than the average that I've seen on here on HF:
8' whoopies + 8' tree straps + 2 aluminum toggles = 169 g

I had Stu make me a 4' amsteel treehugger extension that will only come with me on certain trips, but it weighs 14 g.

So, a 98g savings, almost 3.5 ounces (couldn't resist). Not too shabby!

SmokeBait
09-07-2011, 19:27
Great post boyd942. Thanks for sharing your measurements. 3.5 ounces (yea, I'm old school) is a respectable weight savings. Hopefully you're not like me and find some little do-dad to put in your pack in its place :laugh: I'm jealous of you getting to hang on those giant redwoods. You know we'll want to see some pics :D

Str1der
09-21-2011, 15:10
Which original suspension did your WBBB have? I assume you are talking weight savings vs. the adjustable webbing, right?

SmokeBait
09-21-2011, 20:47
Which original suspension did your WBBB have? I assume you are talking weight savings vs. the adjustable webbing, right?

Str1der, the OP's weights appear to be of the adj. webbing suspension. These weights are from a WBBB that I have that had the line strap suspension.

tree straps ~5' with tri-rings - 85 grams
line - 24 grams

That's pretty light. If light weight is your primary goal, then separate whoopie slings and huggers is lighter than the All In One system. 6' tree huggers are 88 grams and 6' 7/64" whoopie slings are 40 grams.

Hope that helps.

Str1der
09-22-2011, 09:43
I'm not a gram weenie, but I'm all for a savings if it can be easily done. I'd rate my concerns as:
1. Convenience
2. Reliability
3. Space savings
4. Weight savings

Therefore, the AIO would be better for me since it has the drip guard built in and is slightly more convenient.

The AIO and stock adj. web. both score great on the 1st 2, but I think I can do better on space and weight savings with the AIO. I guess I was just asking because it's so hard to find weights reported for individual components. I was trying to calculate my weight savings from other people's expereince with different hammock, different biners, different slings.... If the stock adj. webbing is actually 217g (7.65oz), then I can calculate directly how much my system would weigh with different suspension options and how that compares to what I currently have.

The other reason is that I want to outfit a new suspension on my old ENO SingleNest for use as a loaner for friends (the dreaded SlapStraps aren't gonna cut it). I figured I'd move the adj. webbing over to the ENO and upgrade myself to the AIO to kill two birds with one sling!

Thanks!

body942
09-27-2011, 20:51
Sorry these replies slipped under my radar, but yes, it was the stock adjustable webbing suspension.

lvnv1212
11-08-2011, 16:40
How would rate the convenience factor? I also have the stock adjustable webbing, and wonder how it can be improved on.

Bat
11-08-2011, 16:47
You can save even more weight by going to the dynaglide whoopies. Ease of use is subjective once you are proficient with both systems and learn to pick trees that are about the right distance apart. I'm a fan of the "hold your trekking poles straight out to your sides" distance judging system. If my poles don't touch the two trees I've got a workable spot. Quick and easy for me but I have bad eyes and can't judge distance.

Str1der
11-11-2011, 09:01
I upgraded from the adjustable webbing to the "All-in-One" system. I'd say it's equally convenient and somewhat lighter. As Smokebait says, separate whoopies, straps, and toggles is even lighter, but it won't be quite as convenient (it's far from a chore though). I've got plenty of weight to shed from other parts of my pack load (as well as from outside the pack...if you know what I mean ;)), so I don't count grams in my suspension when there are pounds to shed elsewhere.