PDA

View Full Version : Lost bead on sling, now what?

foureyedgeek
09-10-2011, 06:27
The bead on the open end of my whoopie sling has gone missing!

It is not down in the tightening section (I'm not sure of the technical term here, sorry) so all I can figure is that I somehow broke it off.

I'm not about to tear it apart to replace it, so I am looking for a solution I can use without doing so.

I figured the easiest thing to do would be to just leave my carabiner that goes on the tree straps on all the time.

Any other ideas? Do they make titanium beads?

bhinson
09-10-2011, 06:40
How about a 1/2oz split shoot weight?
As I am not sure how big or small the bead is (was)
On the whoopie
It might hold till you can make the proper repair

nothermark
09-10-2011, 06:51
zip tie - strong, light, easy

jlb2012
09-10-2011, 06:53
tie a string loop in place of the bead

Redoleary
09-10-2011, 06:53
How about just taking a small piece of line and tie it into a loop passing thru the hole where the bead used to be. Just tie it with something like a zeppelin bend or some fairly large knot and the knot will become the bead. Or if there is nothing at the end of the whoopie to tie to just tie it in a knot, like and ashley stopper knot and that should be large enough to keep from getting pulled in.

WV
09-10-2011, 07:05
It doesn't need to be a bead, just something that goes around the line and would not fit into the bury. You could use a 6" piece if 1/8" rope tied in a loop, or something smaller - maybe a small piece of ribbon.

You'd be surprised at how easy it is to take a whoopie sling apart and then put it back together again. The area of bury is already stretched out. I used 1/4" long pieces of plastic tubing instead of beads on some of my whoopies.

kayak karl
09-10-2011, 07:08
a safety pin will work and may come in handy.

foureyedgeek
09-10-2011, 07:13
Thanks for all of the ideas guys!

TrailH4x
09-10-2011, 07:45
After the inital hanging with a set of whoopies, I haven't had a need for the beads.

Since my second deployment with whoopies, I have kept my straps soft shackled through my AmSteel loop. I stretch my sets back to full length during take down. I use a modified Bishop Bag setup (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36549&highlight=plucked+chicken)which eliminated any need to shorten the slings until after my straps are secured to my anchorage for deployment. I now use UCR's (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9021&highlight=utility+constrictor+rope) rather than whoopies to simplify the arrangement and drop a bit more weight, so without the loop nesting back any more, I haven't had a worry about pull through for some time. :D

Keeps things simple. I like simple. The only thing complicated about simple is the crusade one endures while chasing it. :confused:

olzeke
09-10-2011, 08:09
smallest split ring you can find.

Bubba
09-10-2011, 08:10
Small split ring

HamMike
09-10-2011, 08:11
zip tie - strong, light, easy
Ditto on this , mine came up missin too on a recent trip, it's a mystery!

zirk
09-10-2011, 08:40
Somewhere on here somebody said to put a small piece of whatever cord your using for the whoopie inline where the bead would go. I put a 2' piece tapered on both ends...works like a charm!!

zirk
09-10-2011, 08:46
Somewhere on here somebody said to put a small piece of whatever cord your using for the whoopie inline where the bead would go. I put a 2' piece tapered on both ends...works like a charm!!

Also it can't get lost or hooked on something or whatever

SmokeBait
09-10-2011, 15:37
Foureyedgeek, I know you said you don't want to tear the sling apart but it's real easy to replace the bead. Just cut about 1/8" off the very end of the end splice. Pick the inner part of the spice out and throw it away. Pull the line back through the constrictor, replace the bead, pull the line back through the constrictor and re-do the end splice. Only takes a couple of minutes. If it was one of our slings, you can send it back and we'll do it for you and return it.

Rooster
09-10-2011, 16:40
The bead on the open end of my whoopie sling has gone missing!

Any other ideas? Do they make titanium beads?

Ooohhhh!!! +1 on titanium beads

Maybe we have stumbled on a new product for Dutch.

My bead disappeared. I just clipped on my carabiner like you did.

Dutch
09-10-2011, 18:30

That's actually a pretty good idea. However It seems a little split ring should surfice

foureyedgeek
09-10-2011, 19:33
Smokebait, it was one from you folks, but really its not that big of a deal now that I have all of these ideas from you guys to sub it out. Thanks though!

Catavarie
09-10-2011, 20:11
Ok, fine I'll be the guy who says it...just don't pull your whoopie all the way through. :tongueup:

Of course I currently have a bit of mason line tied onto my whoopies to use as a bead, an it just occured to me that I could splice the mason line through the amsteel to better keep it in place as well. Darn you all for making me think. :thumbdown:

Feedbag
09-11-2011, 08:07
+1 on the split ring. I use a 16mm size I found in the jewelry parts section at Hobby Lobby

perrito
09-11-2011, 10:31
Here's an idea which you probably already have the part for - use a key ring. You know, one of those rings on a key "chain"?

Sparrow
09-11-2011, 15:18
I put an airsoft BB inside the amsteel about 1/2 inch up from the bury on the non-cinching side of the loop.

SmokeBait
09-11-2011, 15:20
FWIW, I've seen various sizes of spilt rings in the build-it-yourself fishing lure section at the local Bass Pro store.

Chattooga
09-11-2011, 15:27
small stainless lock-washer from the hardware store

weaver2469
09-11-2011, 16:23
This isn't an answer, but the topic got me wondering. Does every cottage whoopie sling maker include some sort of bead on their whoopies? I got mine from whoopieslings.com and they did, but I was wondering if this is standard practice.

Rooster
09-11-2011, 16:56
This isn't an answer, but the topic got me wondering. Does every cottage whoopie sling maker include some sort of bead on their whoopies? I got mine from whoopieslings.com and they did, but I was wondering if this is standard practice.

I ordered a set of Dynaglide Whoopie Slings from Dutch.

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cottage-industries/dutchware/dynaglide-whoopie-slings/

There were no beads on mine.

SmokeBait
09-11-2011, 19:42
I put an airsoft BB inside the amsteel about 1/2 inch up from the bury on the non-cinching side of the loop.

I like it! :D

The Grimace
06-11-2012, 16:31

COUNTYCOMM sells Ti. beads but they are spendy 17.00 for 3:eek:

gmcttr
06-11-2012, 22:52

Someone will come along and say you didn't taper that BB enough, thereby causing immediate failure and your doom.:D

I like it.

hppyfngy
06-12-2012, 16:04

That's pretty brilliant. :thumbup1:

SmokeBait
06-13-2012, 10:20
That's pretty brilliant. :thumbup1:

It certainly is. Like a snake that swallowed a rat.

stevebo
06-14-2012, 09:32
Dude, thats a great idea! Thanks for sharing!