PDA

View Full Version : Doubleing Up

1srelluc
04-09-2008, 20:55
1st Post.

I bought a ENO Double Nest at a yard sale last year for a few bucks. After I found out it would hold the portly I tried it and just love it. I have added the bug net and tarp and it works well.

I usually just use it in my roofed shelter at my river property after a night of cat fishing in the late spring and summer. I use it with the tarp when we do float trips.

Recently I tried it out in 30 degree weather with a military pad with shoulder wings added and I was comfortable with 30 deg. poly bag and poly long johns while on a early spring float. Beats the hell out of a tent.

I got to thinking that if you cliped 2 ENO D. Nests together with the pad and a poncho liner or evan a fleese blanket sandwiched between the two it might keep the pad from moving and provide more insulation.

I ordered another ENO D. Nest off of Ebay (New $44.65 shipped) to try it out myself. WTH you can't have too many hammocks anyway and the Ebay one matched the tarp in color. Has anyone else tried this?

I'll be right up front and state there is no way in the world I would drop hunderds of dollars on underquilts and I don't sew other than webbing/button repairs. Big $$$s and sewing are non-starters for me.

With that being said and the fact I will not be useing my hammocks for hiking makes me look for expediant ways to wring a bit more use/comfort from the hammock for what I use it for.

slowhike
04-10-2008, 21:34
since you're not interested in sewing, using two hammocks to create a double hammock should work fine.
quite a few have used double hammocks to hold a pad beneath them & seem to like them.
welcome to HF 1srelluc

warbonnetguy
04-10-2008, 23:47
yeah, double layered hammocks are great for keeping any kind of pad from moving around. keeps them from buckeling as much and sure is more comfy than laying directly on the pad.

fleece blanket might work if you can figure out a way to keep it spread out till you get inside the hammock, maybe some double sided tape or something.

1srelluc
04-11-2008, 18:20
I got my extra ENO DN yesterday and doubled it up. Works like a charm. I only used the winged pad between the two. There seemed to be no difference in the way it supported me.

When I do it again I will make sure the ends are reversed so the stuff bags will be on each side. I think I could clip the two together for coverage over the top.

I am sure the DIY crowd cringes at the thought of just using just store bought stuff but my extra time is spent on other things. There is nothing wrong with being informed though. I have already ordered new straps and clinch buckles from info found here. Great site.

I messed with it in the evening after supper. I slung it under my deck and grabbed a poncho liner and small pillow for my legs. My wife woke me up this morning when she got up! **** I slept good. :D

I am really pleased with this arrangement. To me the ENO is a piece of gear that does a nice job keeping me off the ground. I don't care for ground camping. I think ENO offers a quality product for a reasonable price that works when I need it to. Thats all I can ask.

BTW - I never noticed any strech with the ENO pro slapstraps. As far as I could tell I was hanging the same distance off the ground. I never paid any attention to it before.

GrizzlyAdams
04-11-2008, 18:37
I am sure the DIY crowd cringes at the thought of just using just store bought stuff but my extra time is spent on other things.

Not in HF. If this crowd were DIY snobs we'd be blowing off the people just getting started. Doesn't happen that way here.

DIY is fun for those that do it, and (we hope) some fun as a spectator sport for those who are here to just talk and learn about hanging.

Ain't no difference between your stickem together double body hammock and one that someone would spend an afternoon making, except that you don't have to worry about those seams holding and the DIY guy does. :D

Grizz

stoikurt
04-12-2008, 20:36
Not in HF. If this crowd were DIY snobs we'd be blowing off the people just getting started. Doesn't happen that way here.

DIY is fun for those that do it, and (we hope) some fun as a spectator sport for those who are here to just talk and learn about hanging.

Ain't no difference between your stickem together double body hammock and one that someone would spend an afternoon making, except that you don't have to worry about those seams holding and the DIY guy does. :D

Grizz

What he said.:D
Welcome to the forum.

1srelluc
04-13-2008, 14:15
Thanks for the kind words. To be honest I did look for a sewing machine at the yard sales yesterday. I figured if I could get one on the cheap, hell why not. Nothing wrong with learning a new skill.

I did find a military waterproof blanket in Marplat camo. It is 50x80 and has a poly fill. It had no tags so I don't know if it is issue or not. Kind of like a poncho sewed to a double thick liner. It will make a warm top quilt I am sure.

l1ranger
06-17-2008, 22:57
hey 1srelluc, sounds like some good thinking to me

also looks like your close by, lemme know if you wanna get together for some fishing or go over some hammock stuff, etc