PDA

View Full Version : Dumb newbie question

lurch
04-10-2008, 00:08
So forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I had never even heard of a structural ridgeline before stumbling on this site. Why do you use a seperate ridgeline and attachment lines? Why not just one long line from tree-hugger to tree-hugger with 2 prussiks knots and biners? Seems like it would be lighter and more adjustable. Simpler at the least.

angrysparrow
04-10-2008, 00:15
I think you may misunderstand the definition of structural ridgeline. Go read here (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html) for some more info.

lurch
04-10-2008, 01:39
I think I'm understanding the concept, I'm just wondering why a relatively taught single line between two trees with two sliding knots to hang the hammock from would not give the same benefit of consistant adjustable sag?

GrizzlyAdams
04-10-2008, 07:25
a number of people have reported trying sliding knots for adjustment, either to control the length of the suspension rope in an ordinary context, or to attack the hammock to a long single line such as you suggest. The sliding knots on a rope to essentially create a loop (rope on itself, looped around the tree) tend to either slip or bind up after tension. For prussiks to work you need for the rope to which the prussik attachs needs to be 50% fatter than the prussik itself. For your solution that means a pretty fat single ridgeline, because the "narrow" prussik cord has to be strong enough--read fat enough---to support body weight.

Structural ridgelines don't have to be so strong, so the combination of a structural ridgeline to get a defined sag and heavier duty suspension rope to the trees is an overall lighter solution.

What I (and others here) have done that is closer to what you are suggesting is to put rings on suspension rope, with the rings spaced at the distance to define a sag, then connect the hammock to the rings (with rope of the same diameter as the long suspension line). This is heavier than the solution with a lightweight ridgeline, but has its own attractions (which in my case are particular to the DIY hammock I use).

Grizz

gunn parker
04-10-2008, 08:01
Hi
This thread of mine is the same as what it is you are thinking, perhaps.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2109

lurch
04-11-2008, 12:46
Thanks guys, like I said, I'm kinda new to this!

whitefoot_hp
04-17-2008, 19:31
lurch, that is not a bad idea, what you propose. however, ridgelines are permanent and people want them that way so their hammock sets up the same every time. your method would constitute a ridgeline, but it would not be permanent. some, and maybe you, may prefer this, and you must remember that not all people need the same things.