PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 UQ, Just 'cause ya'll did!

Shug
04-10-2008, 18:28
After looking at all the 1/2 & 3/4 & 2/3 UQ's I had to make one. Just finished today and it weighs 10.5 oz.
It is made out of bits of DWR I put together with french seams. Those are the seams you see side to side (arm to arm).
Used 900 down from Ed Speers. Nice stuff. 3oz of down in the baffles.
Decided to make the bathtub shape with darts and all. I filled the hammock with weight and pinned and trimmed. Snugs up really well. Feeling happy about it.......
The idea of the new UQ and a short Ridgerest pad for legs is going to save me some backpack weight! Yeah!!!!
Need it for those shoulder seasons here. Comfy......
Shug

warbonnetguy
04-10-2008, 18:35
looks good, any temp tests yet?

Hooch
04-10-2008, 18:41
Shug, good lookin' piece of gear. Nice job on that, definitely something to be proud of. Keep us posted on the temp tests after you've taken it out a bit, will ya?

NCPatrick
04-10-2008, 18:51
Ok, so now you've upped the ante. Now I'm interested in making one of these too because YOU did. :) Please do let us all know how it works out in the colder weather. We've run out of cold down here for the time being.

GrizzlyAdams
04-10-2008, 19:02
liking it, Shug. Especially that 10.5 oz part, yes? I was thrilled when I found that I could stuff my BlackBishop bag with my hammock and 2/3 UQ. One compact bundle of sleeping comfort.

I now know what I can do with all the remnants in my scrap bag. I thought I was going to make covers for my backpacking pocket calculators, maybe little nylon caps for my trail toothbrush. But no, a patchwork UQ! I'm on it....

Grizz

NCPatrick
04-10-2008, 19:04
Yeah, but Grizz is making HIS with spandex, so now I have to make MINE with spandex...

Shug
04-10-2008, 20:04
Thankee for the nice words ya'll! I do like the idea of using/recycling those $$ scraps......
Going out for a night or two next week and will post the results. Was going to tonight but we have a rain/snow/ice storm with high winds. Already blown some shingles off of the roof. Ahhhh!
Till then,
Shug the Shingler