PDA

View Full Version : Gaiters

stoikurt
12-29-2006, 10:35
I had a thought this morning. I now hike with lightweight trail sneakers rather than my GoreTex boots. But I would still like to have dry feet if (when) it rains. Has anyone tried making some gaiters out of silnylon or DWR nylon?

Just Jeff
12-29-2006, 11:04
Sil would give you wet feet from moisture, but someone makes eVent gaitors. Don't remember who at the moment.

Coffee
12-29-2006, 11:48
In terms of mosture I think you would still get wet from rain running down your legs if you were not wearing rain pants. I also switched to trail runners. I use the new balance ones. When there is any mosture on the trail, leaves, or especially when it rains my shoes soak through pretty quickly.

I like hiking in gaiters too, mainly for keeping my legs and socks clean and protected. A lot of the trails I hike on are overgrown in spots. I wouldn't try nylon ones around where I live.

FanaticFringer
12-29-2006, 16:06
I'm in the market for some good trail runners. Saw these at Campmor and they seem like a really good buy. I remember Jeff mentioning that he like his Hi Tec boots. I've been looking hard at Steep and Cheap for a killer deal but those are hit and miss as you know.
www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39209389&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

Coffee
12-29-2006, 16:31
Look they they could work. I just buy whatever new balances are on sale at a local store. I wear 12 4E, so I am kind of limited.

I started a thread on WB about trail runners and gaiters. The problem I have is that the NB trail runners I use have one continuous tread, where as boot and some other trail runners have that gap inbetween the heal and ball of your foot. My trail runners always eat up the string that goes around the bottom of the shoe. I go through para cord in around a week's worth of hiking.

Someone on WB suggested I put zelcro on my shoes and the on the gaiters around the bottom edge of the gaiter. This should hold them on. I haven't tried this yet, but it should work.

Otter1
12-29-2006, 18:45
I use trailrunners from Merrell (Overdrive model) that have a narrow opening under the arch that allows the gaiters' string to pass thru -- totally protected! They also have a loop on top specifically for the hook on gaiters. I love 'em.

Stoikurt, I noticed you're in PC. I'm looking at trying the trail in Blackwater. Have you hiked it?

toddhiker

stoikurt
12-29-2006, 22:45
Toddhiker,
No I have not hiked in Blackwater. I'm going on the Florida Trail next weekend through Eglin AFB and I'v hiked the loops at Torreya State Park numerous times. I have some excellent topo maps of it that I've produced myself if you need some maps of Torreya.

I've never been overly excited about hiking in Florida due to the heat and mostly flat country but I'm going to start giving it a try. Mainly because it's just too far to get up to the mountains for short hiking trips.

Back to shoes...I've been using some NB Trailrunners I got locally at Shoe Carnival. I did 40 miles in May and 40 miles in October on the AT with them without any problems. I lucked out and had no rain on either trip during the day while hiking. So once my feet get wet I'm not sure how I'll like them. My hiking boots are Vasque Sundowner GTX and they are very comfortable. I used them at Philmont a couple years ago and hiked 75 miles with no blisters. I've just been trying something different and lightening up.

Just Jeff
12-30-2006, 07:51
HE, if you just want to keep leaves and sticks out of your shoes, try cutting down a pair of panty hose to fit over your socks and the tops of your shoes. Much lighter than about anything else you can use and you don't need the strap under your heal b/c they're elastic. And you could even carry a second pair for lighter than a regular gaiter if you're worried about durability. Multi-use as a facemask in case you run out of money.

I haven't tried this...think I saw it on WB a while back.

headchange4u
12-30-2006, 10:51
I got some waterproof fabric from Ebay that's way to heavy to use for any type of hammock gear. It's that "streak Error" Supplex that I think a coouple of other members here bought.

Anyway I had been thinking that this material would make goot gaiters. Anyone know where there are some instructions for making them?

Coffee
12-30-2006, 12:14
HE, if you just want to keep leaves and sticks out of your shoes, try cutting down a pair of panty hose to fit over your socks and the tops of your shoes. Much lighter than about anything else you can use and you don't need the strap under your heal b/c they're elastic. And you could even carry a second pair for lighter than a regular gaiter if you're worried about durability. Multi-use as a facemask in case you run out of money.

I haven't tried this...think I saw it on WB a while back.

For me it is more mud, thorn bushes, and prickly/stringing plants. All of the state parks close to me are flooded out rivers to form lakes. They usually have trails around them, but I do not think they see much use. Or sections see too much use and are a mudd pit. I may only need them for certain parts of the trails I use now, but they usually stay on all the time now.

I guess that is why I am for taking a good set on my thru. After a few miles on the AT I might change my mind.

Although I can't put my gaiters on my head for a face mask. Got to love dual use items.

Just Jeff
12-30-2006, 22:19
Gaiters are also good for tick control if you tuck your pants inside.

Panty hose should work for that and small rocks and twigs, but probably wouldn't work for thorns and such.